Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:49 am 

Sounds like a Virus song title

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 am 

Wow, that song sucks. So does the title.

It's really just Gorguts in name only, though. Lemay is the only returning member. I guess the Gorguts name will sell better than Negativa.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:44 am 

Cynical wrote:

It's really just Gorguts in name only, though. Lemay is the only returning member. I guess the Gorguts name will sell better than Negativa.

It's missing vocals, but I know you're not into anything remotely close to this so I don't think that would make anything better for you anyways. Like I said, this sounds like a DsO song without vocals (sans that second (?) riff which has Obscura written all over it). I think maybe Luc's vocal presence could definitely change the overall feel of this particular song. Then again, this is one incomplete song out of the whole thing. I know the others will probably sound completely different from each other, as in other Gorguts albums, and I hope that the album as a whole feels more like Gorguts than this song would lead someone to believe. I'll admit though, as a guitar player, I'm mostly interested in all the different textures and chord voicings that this album will most likely present, rather than the actual compositions.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm 

Didn't really care for the new track posted, but I'll reserve judgment until I am able to hear the finished album in full. I've always felt that Gorgut's more progressive inclined material is best digested as a whole rather than song by song, so we'll see.

Last edited by doomicus on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:
Also I'm really gonna miss Steeve's crazy vocals and guitar playing :(

Did you not miss them on From Wisdom to Hate cause he wasn't in the band by the time that was recorded. He was only on Obscura, unless you count that live album.

In a way I guess, but when that was recorded he was at least still alive.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:20 pm 

if it makes you feel any better he was probably still alive when the majority of the new album was recorded

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:03 pm 

I don't get why so many are hating on the title, it's much better than some generic gore death darkness doom title. I have just been travelling around Iran for some months, on on the island of Hormuz (which, surprisingly is in the strait of Hormuz in southern Iran), they have these otherworldy colour mountains, which are really strange and awesome - this is the kind of world or landscape the title makes me think of. The music is of course gonna be awesome.

(not my pix)

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:06 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
coloured sands is a cool title. It makes me think about the passage of time.

yea, it makes me and I'm certain other people... think of this instead

Someone slap the Gorguts logo on that picture, please. :D

Anyway, if they release the full album at once, I'm going to be disappointed. I'm hoping for maybe a 4-song 'album', followed by 'Colored Sands II' maybe a year later. A few postponements wouldn't hurt either.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
Remember, Luc said he was going to write about Tibetan genocide something-or-other, which to me translates to something like "bloody sand." It's Gorguts. Very "indiecore."
Yes, the Tibetan buddhist mandalas made of colo(u)red sands. The idea is that monks spend a lot of time and effort doing them and then they just do away with them. To show how they embrace impermanence.
http://www.buddhanet.net/kalimage.htm

But I think now some people take pictures before they destroy them..

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 am 

kalervon wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:
Remember, Luc said he was going to write about Tibetan genocide something-or-other, which to me translates to something like "bloody sand." It's Gorguts. Very "indiecore."
Yes, the Tibetan buddhist mandalas made of colo(u)red sands. The idea is that monks spend a lot of time and effort doing them and then they just do away with them. To show how they embrace impermanence.
http://www.buddhanet.net/kalimage.htm

But I think now some people take pictures before they destroy them..

Man, imagine a cover art based on this! :drool:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm 

They should use a left facing swastika just to piss ignorant people off.

EDIT: Ugh, I hate using the world "ignorant" I can't help but hear Michael jackson saying it everytime I see, hear, or type it.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm 

is this gorguts??? please let them change names. has nothing for me at all. Skip it, Nextttt

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

EDIT: Ugh, I hate using the world "ignorant" I can't help but hear Michael jackson saying it everytime I see, hear, or type it.

Spoiler: show
That's ignorant:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!

On topic, I'm looking forward to this, but I've been hearing that this will be out soon (tm) for ages now, so I'm going to hold off getting too excited until it's actually released. I quite like the title as well, though how it holds up will almost solely depend on what kind of album cover goes with it. It's an obvious connection, but I hope that some weird middle-eastern melodies make their way into this on top of all the Gorguts-style weirdness I love so much. I haven't heard the new song yet either, I'm thinking I'll wait until something with vocals pops up to get a more complete picture.

Dammit. I'm trying not to get too hyped up about this because I REALLY don't want to be crushed if it turns out badly, but it's just not working.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 pm 

What a shitty track and the album name fucking sucks too.

Marmer wrote:
Nextttt

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:07 pm 

Seriously, it's cool that you think it's shitty, no big deal. But why do you think it's shitty? I like the overall flow of this track, though one thing I don't necessarily enjoy is some of the...dare I say, "generic" chord choices in a few of the riffs? Granted, Gorguts was one of the first bands to explore this type of sound, but I can't help but hear a little bit of newer DsO in some of the riffs. Nothing against that band, but I'm not super crazy about them.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Do you really believe that there is an intrinsically "good" meaning to the left facing swastika which is different from an intrinsically "bad" right facing one, and that Buddhists used or still use the left-facing one exclusively ? Cause that's BS. Both "sides" are casually displayed in Buddhist temples; perhaps there is a prevalence of "left-facing" swastikas in America and in Europe to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts, but that's not were most Buddhist temples or pagodas are.

Last edited by kalervon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExNihilos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 pm 

I like the title. Conjures up natural images of impermanence. If the name was as uninspired as From Wisdom To Hate I'd be much more upset.

The track is alright if nothing special. It is incomplete, so we can only hope that the album version is better and that the album has plenty of variety which shouldn't be a problem for Gorguts.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:43 pm 

isn't that just the same pre-production track (and band photo) that's been doing the rounds for the last couple of years?

Anyway, seriously hope this album finally drops on time. Gorguts is the only band I've actually been hanging out to hear a new release from (aside from another formerly great DM act who waited 7 odd years to dump a stinking turd on its fans)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 am 

Bloodied ground was the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing "Colored Sands" as the new Gorguts album title.

The music is extremely boring. There are good riffs, but they're repetitive and underdeveloped, and the guitars sound badly produced. It's so damn formulaic. I won't be subjecting myself to this.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 pm 

Upon repeated listens to this track, I sure hope this makes sense in the grand scheme of the album's presentation because I'm starting to not like it as much. Best part is that one riff that is classic Lemay towards the beginning of the song, and the drumming is pretty solid. I won't reserve anymore judgement because now I need to hear the whole thing, obviously. I really really hope it gets more interesting than this.

wEEman33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 pm 

Cover art leaked?

Last edited by wEEman33 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:04 pm 

hahahahahahahahaha gold.

i still like this track, just want it to have vocals. Still looking forward to it.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 pm 

not sure if this has been posted before and obviously the sound quality isn't that great since its a live performance but here is an actual new song, sounds more varied then that demo track plus you get vocals

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm 

wEEman33 nailed it! :lol:

That pre-production "song" is pretty old, so I have no idea how in place it will sound after the work is done. More so within the context of an album that I still haven't heard. If someone handed me a song like "Nostalgia" or "Faceless Ones" after having listened to their first two and told me it was part of the new Gorguts album I have no idea how I would react!

Luc does seem to have a bit of love for the band he himself helped give shape to, at least in its more modern iteration. I just hope that appreciation for fellow musicians, and their music by extension, doesn't get in the way of the writing process. That's the same to say that I expect this new album to NOT sound like fucking DSO! :guns:

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:02 am 

Whilst I agree "Colored Sands" is a surprising title for a Gorguts album, I prefer it over the 90% of death metal album names that go for pure shock value and end up just being lame and immature.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 am 

Mike_235 wrote:
I prefer it over the 90% of death metal album names that go for pure shock value and end up just being lame and immature.

And how exactly are you into death metal again?

androdion wrote:
I expect this new album to NOT sound like fucking DSO!

This right here. This will probably be the only thing that will make this album super disappointing for me.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:31 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Mike_235 wrote:
I prefer it over the 90% of death metal album names that go for pure shock value and end up just being lame and immature.

And how exactly are you into death metal again?

Sure, shock value is a staple of metal, but usually quality is indicated by abstract ideas and sounds, not repeating the same crap over and over again.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:51 pm 

I'm not sure you get what I was picking at. Then again, I wasn't being incredibly serious anyways. :thumbsup:

Does anybody know if Luc and the other dude used extended range guitars on this album? I believe I saw a video of Gorguts playing live where they were using seven string guitars, but I could be mistaken.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 pm 

yeah when i saw them play last year they played a new song with a 7 string.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 pm 

Cynical wrote:

No different than Obscura or FWTH if you really want to get technical. And yes, Luc plays a 7-string since Kevin is a puss :p

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:22 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
Cynical wrote:

No different than Obscura or FWTH if you really want to get technical. And yes, Luc plays a 7-string since Kevin is a puss :p

yeah when I read Cynical's post originally it gave me the impression he has only heard their first 2 albums

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 pm 

That was my assumption as well. That song reeks of Gorguts.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:41 am 

"Colored Sands" track listing:

01. Le Toit Du Monde
02. An Ocean Of Wisdom
03. Forgotten Arrows
04. Colored Sands
05. The Battle Of Chamdo
06. Enemies Of Compassion
07. Ember's Voice
08. Absconders
09. Reduced To Silence

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:22 am 

Fucking sick album cover!!!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am 

Razakel wrote:
Fucking sick album cover!!!

:nods:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm 

I can dig it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm 

... Wow. That's possibly the best cover I've seen all year (except for wEEman33's masterpiece earlier in this thread).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

Love the art, but as great as it is, it is just barely beaten out by the Witherscape cover.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

^^^ What that person said. It's amazing, and any other year probably would've been tops, but that Witherscape gave me dreamy flashbacks to seeing a full-page magazine ad for Them when I was a teenager. Almost made my stomach flutter.

But this is still badass, and those song titles already are stirring me up. Cannot wait for this.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 pm 

Cool cover art! The song titles seem pretty standard fare for Gorguts, which is also cool. A little more excited...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next