Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
treghet6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:38 am 

I cannot say this is the album of the decade, but it is a damn fine comeback, which most bands fail to pull off. The instrumentation and songwriting really lives up to the standard Gorguts set on previous releases. There are some really mind bending tracks in the second half. Overall it is a great album and it fits nicely in their catalogue.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm 

They are confirmed to play Maryland Deathfest 2014

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:04 am 

This has been on my mind for a while, but I cannot look at pictures of Kevin Hufnagel and think of anything else besides his pig nose. This is relevant, right? :oh shit:

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 am 

Hahahaha I don't think his nose affects the music too badly.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:17 am 

Im really liking the new gorguts - hearing the first time today

im really impressed - it brings me back to how wow'ed i was with Obscura

Gorguts fans wont be dissapointed and alot of new people will be checking this out

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:53 am 

Wow. I'm really not a fan of Gorguts' post EoS stuff, hell I just wrote a 20-odd percent review for Obscura last week, but wow, they've figured out how to make modern Gorguts sound good after 15 years. No... Not good... Excellent. This is savage, demented, unique and most importantly brilliantly tight and compact. It has none of the loose stupid sounding bounciness of the other stuff, actually has riffage, Luc doesn't sound like a pile of ass, and it's still unique in it's own way rather than just picking up on the cues of the bands which filled in their sound in the decade they've been missing. It's just brilliant, maybe still a tad long, but brilliant.

Honestly, this is up there with Monotheist and Macabre Eternal as far as outstanding comebacks go based on first listen.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:45 am 

Man this album is grower... It was badass the first time I heard it and it just gets better and better.

Up there for album of the year with the new Dillinger Escape Plan

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm 

'Colored Sands' Title Track Available For Streaming
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193094

I'm forcing myself not to listen till my CD arrives :p :roll:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:25 pm 

So you'll stream half the album but not the rest because you don't want the surprise to be spoiled?! :p

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:37 pm 

Maybe... what can I say, I was young and foolish ha ha :crash:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:40 pm 

I can tell you that the second half is pretty mindblowing, ha ha. :evil:

"Dreadmeat twitches and turns as he says 'NO!' to the download button..." :lol:

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 pm 

I can't even say or think the word "Absconders" without getting chills. Song makes me feel like I need to hide under a chair.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:08 pm 

i didn't know it was so difficult to just patiently wait. It makes it all the sweeter for when it shows up. I listened to the first track that was put up awhile ago and that's all I needed. No need to listen to the rest till my cd & vinyl come in. :)

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:13 pm 

Finally pre-ordered the album a couple of days ago and am listening to the leak as I type this. May post my thoughts after I've listened to it a few times.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:
Also I'm really gonna miss Steeve's crazy vocals and guitar playing :(

Did you not miss them on From Wisdom to Hate cause he wasn't in the band by the time that was recorded. He was only on Obscura, unless you count that live album.

I think Kevin Hufnagel's nose more than makes up for it.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:55 am 

Wilytank wrote:

You have a thing for his nose don't you?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

You have a thing for his nose don't you?

Is the proper term "nosegay"?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 pm 

... What the hell did I just watch? :lol:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 pm 

Odors of Existence, for the closet nose-ists! :p

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
'Colored Sands' Title Track Available For Streaming
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193094

I'm forcing myself not to listen till my CD arrives :p :roll:

Having just heard that stream, as well as the other tracks in that post it's all completely mind-blowing. I never expected them to be this good after this long a lay-off. Love the atmosphere within the title track, that epic riffing style I truly love, and the furious pounding and stacked pacing are quite enjoyable. May have to dip into the savings and get this one sooner rather than later.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm 

having heard the leak, it sounds like a darker more epic from wisdom to hate.

oh and i love it

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:48 pm 

Amazing.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 pm 

The Battle of Chamdo is just the coolest.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:03 am 

I got my update email from SOM a couple of days ago, can't wait!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm 

Haven't heard the new stuff yet (no sound card on my internet comp and I live in a rural area with limited internet), but since people are talking about other stuff... I liked Obscura (the first half anyway) way more than FWTH. Also, the timing on FWTH was pretty straight forward all the way through, which I was kinda disappointed about. I'm not big into vocals anyway, but I do like the vocals in the band. As for album art and album title, I don't really care about either. Artwork is cool but I'll only pay attention to it if a member of the band did it (and even then, it doesn't affect the music).

Will listen to the new stuff eventually...

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:03 pm 

somebody should upload the lyrics to the rest of the songs now that some people have already received their pre-orders

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm 

Loving this album so far. I am sure at least one champion of contrarianism will find some reason to write a 50% review for it, but personally I find it brilliant. It's so much wider in sound than FWTH without as much of the tedious or goofy sections on Obscura that some of us grew to love and inspired others to write 0% reviews for. It sounds familiar - totally Gorguts - but there's enough new things going on to make it more than just a throwback cash-in and a serious amount of songwriting polish that doesn't really detract from the creativity or feeling of the album. Like others have said, the second half of the album is really awesome. The Battle of Chamdo, Enemies of Compassion, Absconders, and Reduced to Silence being my favorite tracks.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:20 pm 

I have never given Gorguts a fair listen until this week. I heve no idea why people are so torn over the different erras of Gorguts. First of all, the first two albums are straight forward death metal, I hear nothing progressive about them at all. Second, Obscura and FWTH are obviously very technical albums, and indicated a change in sound, but since when is experimentation frowned on so heavily in the metal community? Third, Colored Sands sounds like a continuation of the Obscura/FWTH sound, only doomier in some parts, and it kinda feels like a modern death metal take on Deathspell Omega and Ulcerate -even though Gorguts was obviously first and probably influenced those bands, it does sound up to date and includes all the conventions that those bands brought to the table. Luc is even wearing a DSO shirt in the picture on the band page.

That being said, I love all three styles, and I hope Luc continues experimenting and writing great death metal. That is all.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:11 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
I have never given Gorguts a fair listen until this week. I heve no idea why people are so torn over the different erras of Gorguts. First of all, the first two albums are straight forward death metal, I hear nothing progressive about them at all. Second, Obscura and FWTH are obviously very technical albums, and indicated a change in sound, but since when is experimentation frowned on so heavily in the metal community? Third, Colored Sands sounds like a continuation of the Obscura/FWTH sound, only doomier in some parts, and it kinda feels like a modern death metal take on Deathspell Omega and Ulcerate -even though Gorguts was obviously first and probably influenced those bands, it does sound up to date and includes all the conventions that those bands brought to the table. Luc is even wearing a DSO shirt in the picture on the band page.

That being said, I love all three styles, and I hope Luc continues experimenting and writing great death metal. That is all.

I think it's safe to say that you won't find anyone working under the pretence that Gorguts are by any means progressive, let alone their early stuff. I can understand people saying that Considered Dead isn't exactly technical, but TEOS?! That album to me has always been technical, just not as much as the modern convention of "a million sweeps per minute" make people think. Their "avant-garde" tag is due to Obscura onwards, and that can be easily understood. I think that Colored Sands has also a bit of the flair and bluntness of TEOS, it's just so well placed amongst the rest of the "Obscurisms" and FTWH's flowing songwriting style that a not so attentive hearing could miss it. It's there though.

DSO and Ulcerate are influenced by Gorguts, to say anything other than that would be factually wrong. :p But as I said before in this same thread I didn't want to have this album sounding like their students, and indeed it doesn't. It sounds nothing like what both those bands do, and yet it manages to sound like Gorguts and be slightly different, pretty much like you say.

I'm torn about the idea of Luc continuing recording beyond this album. I mean... how the fuck will he be able to write something better than this?! :???:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 am 

Mine arrived today! yeah! :metal:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:30 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Mine arrived today! yeah! :metal:

How the fuck did the Kiwi get his before mine? Damn you, Australia Post.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 am 

Yeah well, it is broken... :roll:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:37 am 

You can replace a case for less than $1. As long as the CD and artwork is not damaged, it's all good. :) Hopefully mine arrives this week, then!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 am 

MikeyC wrote:
You can replace a case for less than $1. As long as the CD and artwork is not damaged, it's all good. :) Hopefully mine arrives this week, then!

That's a digipak though. Replacing digipak trays is a lot more complicated...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 am 

complicated boardering on impossible depending on the adhesive they used. if it was something easier I would've replaced a number of broken toothed digis already.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Yeah well, it is broken... :roll:

Spoiler: show

That's... chopped in half! :ah-ha:

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:43 am 

Your keyboard is quite overdue for a clean, dreadmeat :P Now you've got your copy of the album, what do you think of the tracks you hadn't heard, and the album as a whole?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:23 pm 

Season Of Mist replied, they want me to send it back, which will cost me $12 NZD ouch!
I may be able to de-laminate this and stick another tray on :McGyver:
If they insist I return it and pay myself that is, this is why I wanted a jewel case version! grrr these cheap Digipaks that everyone has now piss me off

My keyboard is fine, it just looks terrible with flash photography! :lol:

On my first listen, and yes I did make those spicy Chicken drumsticks to enjoy during the playing, I thought the album was really good.
I wasn't paying 100% attention though, the first song was a bit too much like Negativa for me but then it got better, that classical piece in the middle [Chamdo?] was really good too, and I mean Night on Bald Mountain / The Firebird good

Today I'll rock this bad boy out on my Sennheiser HD515's [headphones]

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:30 pm 

I got my yesterday too and before dread :-P . I really like this album as I said in the now playing thread. All in all this is a phenomenal come back album and for those who haven't goten theirs yet well you're in for good things.

Question for all who have gotten their copies: are yours individually numbered or do they all say SOM 311 on the spine?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:52 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
that classical piece in the middle [Chamdo?] was really good too, and I mean Night on Bald Mountain / The Firebird good

reminds me a lot of shostakovich

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next