Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 am 

This Norwegian project released its debut "Vår Avmakt" only one year ago. It was an awesome debut, being the best debut in this style in years (at least in Norway). They were specially impressive the very tasteful key arrangements making the album a very dynamic and varied work.

Now they have become a full band including a female voice and a clean voice too. "Trollspeil" is their sophomore album a though they continue to include awesome keys/pianos, the add of the new vocals have changed the band. I think that the female voice is an interesting addition tough I loved their typical black metal screams (this voice still plays a main role) . But the clean vocals are something I cant stand. They are heavy metal vocals, which doesnt suit the music at all, specially because their tone is quite annoying, it just ruins some great moments. :(

Opinions??

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:25 am 

Ahahaha... That video was really lame. Up there with those old Hecate Enthroned vids.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:28 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Ahahaha... That video was really lame. Up there with those old Hecate Enthroned vids.

Yep, the video is lame as fuck. :roll: :ugh:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:29 am 

Wow, this is an embarrassing change. Var Avmakt was one of my favorite albums from 2013, but this... you're right, her vocals make it pretty much unlistenable.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:57 am 

I was excited about this album myself after enjoying and being impresssed with the debut but was disappointed with the shift in style. They definitely do not need the clean or opera vocals which in a way has ruined the band for me. First few spins I did try to enjoy but now I just have forgotten about the album altogether (as I reach for a Cryptic Wintermoon cd...).

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 pm 

I really like the piano, and the instrumentation very nice. The three vocal styles - harsh male, clean male, clean female - can work, it definitely worked (works?) for Tristania. But while the harsh vocalist is ok, and the two clean ones are just not good. She has a nice sounding voice, but she sounds so uninspired and bored.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:45 am 

raumr wrote:
I really like the piano, and the instrumentation very nice. The three vocal styles - harsh male, clean male, clean female - can work, it definitely worked (works?) for Tristania. But while the harsh vocalist is ok, and the two clean ones are just not good. She has a nice sounding voice, but she sounds so uninspired and bored.

Yes, the pianos and arrangements in general are awesome, without any doubt the best part of the album.

The female vocalist is nothing outstanding but at least she is better than the guys, fuck, I get angry every time I listen to him. :annoyed:

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:10 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Wow, this is an embarrassing change. Var Avmakt was one of my favorite albums from 2013, but this... you're right, her vocals make it pretty much unlistenable.

Her vocals make it unlistenable? I was cringing on the second repetition of that insipid bedroom-Nightwish keyboard loop this trainwreck of a song begins with, and the male vocalist apparently exerting a great amount of force (if the video is to be believed), only to produce a powerless whisper of a rasp, made it so much worse. I forced myself through the whole thing, and the only manifestation of black metal to be found was the occasional blast beat. Besides that, this is '08 Napalm Records fodder. Bargain bin pop-metal.

I mean, I do agree though, her vocals are awkward and ill-fitting, but that's because everything about this mess is awkward and ill fitting. Their clean vocals aren't that bad, and hell, with a mix that didn't shit all over the individual performances, the clean vocals might even be the best part about this. But the mix makes sure to have every part be the worst part, instead of them be variously shitty. I very much doubt that fucking keyboard could ever be saved.

I am generally considered as an empathetic piece of human meat, but I can't for the life of me understand how you people aren't ill to your very being observing this big fat cheese cake of a music video.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:56 am 

DisembowelMe wrote:
I am generally considered as an empathetic piece of human meat, but I can't for the life of me understand how you people aren't ill to your very being observing this big fat cheese cake of a music video.

Well, we should see the video, at least once(not more), to give a proper opinion. Dont judge us so hard.

And because the debut album was fucking great, but perhaps you will hate those keys:

Reply to topic