Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
swebarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:47 am 

Shame the album is only of 6 songs, i expected atleast 9 or so.. they should have done instrumentals like on the second i liked those.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:20 pm 

Listening to this now (on "Henosis") and this is pretty much Fathers of the Icy Age if it were released this year. Not as otherworldly as the second one and definitely a return to the medieval/fantasy atmospheres of the first one with way more emphasis on riffs, instead of soaring keyboard melodics. Really, really digging this so far.

The_Orator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 pm 

theposega wrote:
definitely a return to the medieval/fantasy atmospheres of the first one with way more emphasis on riffs

Agreed. This one, like all BaN albums, will take a few listens to really adjust to the style. It took me years to adhere my ears to the workings of MVI and MVII, so hopefully it'll be less time with this one. The vocals are of particular note, Vindsval's rasp has definitely gotten better over time and is quite improved from Cosmosophy, same with the cleans. The keys are unfortunately rather buried in the mix, although the guitar tone is one of the better versions of Vindsval's usual tonality, being less swarthy than Odinist or the 777 trilogy, more like a grounded version of a mix between the icy wrath of MVI and the ethereal gleam of MVII.

The live drumming still throws me off however. I'm still unsettled about how I feel about it.

Lord Summerisle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 pm 

It's an excellent album, easily one of the best of the year. It may even be my favorite BM release of the year by the end of December. I completely disagree with people saying it's a "watered down" version of either MV I or II. It actually has elements of both, but has a third, more modern element in the melodies and harmonies which is what crossover US bands like Liturgy (haha) and Krallice were trying, and failing to achieve. To a lesser extent, Yellow Eyes, Spectral Lore, and a few other bands try for it as well. I've always thought that sound could work right if done properly, and BaN pull it off here.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:44 pm 

First time listening...is it just me or is the production a bit thin and trebly? I mean, god damn...feels like I'm listening to clock radio at times. The riffs have no punch and they sort of all blend together in the mixing in this hazy trebly noise. Really can't help but notice how much better the production is on the preceding albums. Sounds like the album was put some weird filter which thinned out the sound a bunch.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:22 pm 

^ could be your earbuds. Seemed not much different than their contemporary production to me.

also, Unnnnnggggggpreordered

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:51 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
^ could be your earbuds. Seemed not much different than their contemporary production to me.

also, Unnnnnggggggpreordered

Using $850 Philharmonitors powered by $400 amp, I'd really like to think it's not my sound system :p If anything, my monitors are guiltier of being slightly more bassy than reference, but compared to the previous Memoria Vetusta albums, the sound on this album is really flat and tinny sounding. It's jarring and actually makes listening to the album a bit difficult for me. Sounds like the mids and lows on the guitars have been scooped or something weird like that. I guess if no one else can hear it, I'm just being picky...

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm 

Lord Summerisle wrote:
I completely disagree with people saying it's a "watered down" version of either MV I or II.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:

No way. Notice my first "watered down" comment.

t1337Dude wrote:
Using $850 Philharmonitors powered by $400 amp, I'd really like to think it's not my sound system :p If anything, my monitors are guiltier of being slightly more bassy than reference, but compared to the previous Memoria Vetusta albums, the sound on this album is really flat and tinny sounding. It's jarring and actually makes listening to the album a bit difficult for me. Sounds like the mids and lows on the guitars have been scooped or something weird like that. I guess if no one else can hear it, I'm just being picky...

Same here. Are you listening to the Mp3@320 leak? It REALLY seems like a low quality (source) transcode to Mp3@320.
P.S: I HOPE so!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:01 pm 

Kind of a derail, but I went and gave Ultima Thulee a whirl after the excellent post on the last page dividing the band's discography into distinct styles and I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed. It was obviously a complex enough record that I'll want to revisit it several times and try to approach it from different angles to be sure, but my first impression wasn't great. The guitars were just so murky and... Darkspace-ish? I did really like some of the ambient parts and the transitions between those and the more metal parts of it, and the synth work was impressive all around, but the riffing itself almost never really grabbed me and the tone/production didn't really help much.

Are the previous Memoria Vetutsa albums more like the debut, or more like this newest one? Though this new album was lumped in with the "epic/melodic" part of the band along with the debut, they sounded pretty far apart to me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:19 pm 

MVI is the debut 2.0. Massive. MVII is lighter, thinner, and melodic in the same style. Lots of atmosphere. If after all those listens you don't adore those albums, I wish for you to be kancho'd by some 8 year old korean kid.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 pm 

I think the awesomeness of Ultima Thulée didn't fully hit me until about the third listen, and on headphones. The mixing on that album is pretty murky, like you said btmn, and I think headphones are crucial to separating the layers so that the riffs are clearer. There's also a lot of subtlety to the mythic vibe of it all that I don't think is apparent on first blush. But man, some of those riffs can't be denied no matter what listen you're on, first or hundredth. "The Son of Hoarfrost," "From Hli∂skjalf," "On the Way to Vigrid" all have these massive riffs that just tear your head off.

Ah fuck... just listening back over some of these parts after not hearing this album for about a year or so is ridiculous. The guitar tone kicks so much fucking ass.

UT is such an eerie and odd album. The way it wanders and gusts between being totally gut-wrenching and oddly floaty and hollow, far away, dreamy, and sometimes both at once, is just plain weird. I feel like that eeriness is something BAN has carried on along the various paths of their career, though its flavor has shifted again and again. It's one of their greatest artistic qualities, a huge part of what makes them an outstanding project.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:13 pm 

It took me close to maybe three years before I'd truly appreciated Ultima Thulee. I kinda thought it was cool after the first listen but then I took some time away from it, came back to it and HOLYFUCKINGSHITTHOSERIFFSTHATATMOSPHERE.

My advice is to just give it time, if you truly want to get into the album. Go about your life and resume your normal listening habits and come back every now and then. It's truly an album worth investing time into. And when it finally clicks, it will CLICK.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
No way. Notice my first "watered down" comment.

t1337Dude wrote:
Using $850 Philharmonitors powered by $400 amp, I'd really like to think it's not my sound system :p ... It's jarring and actually makes listening to the album a bit difficult for me. ... I guess if no one else can hear it, I'm just being picky...

Aye fair, and Basque Storm I think agrees with you. I dunno .. could be the version? I'm definitely not listening to it on equipment that good, so I'll admit I spoke hastily. Too bad it gets in the way for you, though. Sucks to have good work marred.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:33 pm 

I don't know how you can't be grabbed by Ultima Thulee from the opening jangly, if somewhat awkward, keyboards. Sure, the guitars are murkey as fuck, but the album is so much more than riffs, IMO.

The_Orator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 pm 

MVI is untouchable in their discography, and I think that MVIII sounds much more similar to the first than the second Memoria Vetusta album. Fathers of the Icy Age isn't quite as murky as Ultima Thulee, although for the most part the tones remain the same. The vocals are slightly lower in pitch and are a bit more hoarse, the keys and drum programming follow identical tones to the debut, and really the only thing that stands out is the presence of the fretless bass, which may seem awkward at first until you realize how beautiful it's counter-melodies are. On that note, I wish that MVIII had a more noticeable bass presence. MVII didn't have much of one, but when it was there, it was awesome.
On that note, I think the reason why people have been struggling with the production of MVIII is that the guitar tone is much more similar to MVI than MVII, blending the 2-3 guitar tracks considerably more than on Dialogue with the Stars. Unfortunately, this somewhat blurs the sound of the keys, although the drums and the vocals, particularly several passages of cleans, really stand out above the blizzard-esque guitars.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:39 pm 

I haven't gotten my copy of MVIII yet, but I listened to Ultima Thulée and MVI recently after reading everyone's comments on them and they are much better than I remember. I definitely prefer the more experimental albums to them, but I won't just pass them over anymore.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:40 am 

Quite surprised by how un-weirdly produced this one is, initially left me a little doubtful of it sounding BaN-y enough, but after about 2 minutes I was won me over. It's so fucking pretty, I love it, first new album I've liked in months. As others have said it's closer to MVI than II due to the lack of keys and weird, modern BaN production traits, but it's probably even more standard in delivery than even that one, but no complaints, Vinny has so many pretty melodies and riffs in him.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:38 pm 

New and highly interesting review, courtesy of Angrymetalguy.com:

Quote:
[...] First proper track “Paien” showers you with a barrage of relentless drumming and Vindsval’s trademark wall of guitar wizardry, evoking the chill of pagan winters with effortless grace. Even Vindsval’s clean vocals (which were a bit much on 777: Cosmosophy) show some improvement, but mostly the album utilizes his high rasp to full effect. Despite all the activity going on with the guitars, you can still pick out the keyboard melodies to a certain extent. Hell, even the bass makes an appearance!

As you can imagine with any Blut Aus Nord album, Vindsval’s guitar acrobatics take the spotlight, and it’s no different on Saturnian Poetry. The shimmering melodies that peppered Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars serve as a welcome break in “Forhist” at the 3:49 mark, acting as a bit of a breather between the constant barrages of impressive drum fills and non-stop tremolo. “Metaphor of the Moon” aims for (and achieves) total majesty with a well-performed atmospheric chorus and some beautiful soaring melodies. Speaking of clean choruses, “Henosis” is the best example of how much better Vindsval’s voice has gotten in the last few years, keeping to a low range, but very effective throughout the song. Once again, though, his mastery of guitar shows no limits or any signs of creative bankruptcy.

There are a few things keeping this album from achieving perfection. Despite the strong vocal performances on the album, the clean sections of “Clarissima Mundi Lumina” are a bit off for my tastes. Also, compared to the prior MV, the tracks here do blur quite a bit. In fact, while this is a strong album and a welcome return to the blackened fold, I rank this behind Dialogue With the Stars in terms of performance and the strength of the music. Still, this is one hell of an enjoyable album, especially since the production allows for each guitar track (and bass!) to be heard. Plus, that Kristian “Necrolord” Wåhlin album art is fucking SWEET.

You can read the entire review here: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/blut-aus-n ... view-1010/
I am intrigued, and I am so looking forward to this album.

Yes it is.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:47 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
New and highly interesting review, courtesy of Angrymetalguy.com:
You can read the entire review here: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/blut-aus-n ... view-1010/
I am intrigued, and I am so looking forward to this album.

Thanks!

Quote:
between the constant barrages of impressive drum fills and non-stop tremolo

?!? I DON'T agree.

Quote:
In fact, while this is a strong album and a welcome return to the blackened fold, I rank this behind Dialogue With the Stars in terms of performance and the strength of the music

At the moment, I do.

Anyway, I'll have to give this more listening time.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:26 am 

New one: https://soundcloud.com/blutausnord/clar ... ndi-lumina

Oh, my, Satan, this is awesome! This macabre riffing, the majestic synths and the clean vocals on top, I think I like it better than 'Paien' which I already love, haha. Looking forward to the release date even more anxiously now. Τhe only thing that went unnoticed is the drums.

Yes it is.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:48 am 

LefterisK wrote:

Oh, my, Satan, this is awesome! This macabre riffing, the majestic synths and the clean vocals on top, I think I like it better than 'Paien' which I already love, haha. Looking forward to the release date even more anxiously now. Τhe only thing that went unnoticed is the drums.

Macabre? Hmmmn...

Anyways, it has definitely lived up to my expectations. Lovely mixture of MVI and II, even though it doesn't reach the lofty heights of either album.
Vindsval's got riffs

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:06 am 

LefterisK wrote:

I agree.

Beer Baron wrote:
Macabre? Hmmmn...
Anyways, it has definitely lived up to my expectations. Lovely mixture of MVI and II, even though it doesn't reach the lofty heights of either album. Vindsval's got riffs

At the moment, no, it does NOT but...

... is getting better and better:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2458160#p2458160

BasqueStorm wrote:
Clarissima Mundi Lumina from (2014) Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry.
Just finished listening to this on headphones and it's getting better and better (it sounds better too in our Renault Laguna's hated sound system too) despite my first impression. I NEED to listen to it at best sound quality though.
Forhist is nice!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:06 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
At the moment, no, it does NOT but...

... is getting better and better:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2458160#p2458160

BasqueStorm wrote:
Clarissima Mundi Lumina from (2014) Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry.
Just finished listening to this on headphones and it's getting better and better (it sounds better too in our Renault Laguna's hated sound system too) despite my first impression. I NEED to listen to it at best sound quality though.
Forhist is nice!

I've got to agree my friend. It gets better and better with each listen.
Perhaps if we're ever able to compare them objectively and leave out the romanticism with which we look at MVI and MVII, it might very well be a much closer contest.
Anyways, all songs are very good but my favorites thus far are Clarissima Mundi Lumina, Metaphor of the Moon and Paien

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:07 am 

Perhaps yesterday was not the day but I didnt enjoy the album too much. Yeah, it has some great riffs but sometimes I get bored with them, and being sincere, I miss the magnificent keys of MVII too much. :(

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:24 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
I've got to agree my friend. It gets better and better with each listen.
Perhaps if we're ever able to compare them objectively and leave out the romanticism with which we look at MVI and MVII, it might very well be a much closer contest.
Anyways, all songs are very good but my favorites thus far are Clarissima Mundi Lumina, Metaphor of the Moon and Paien

Paganbasque wrote:
Perhaps yesterday was not the day but I didnt enjoy the album too much. Yeah, it has some great riffs but sometimes I get bored with them, and being sincere, I miss the magnificent keys of MVII too much. :(

Patience.

Review:
http://www.teethofthedivine.com/reviews/blut-aus-nord-memorial-vetusta-iii-saturnian-poetry/

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:18 am 

It lacks the amazing keys of VMII, so I dont know if patience can make any miracle with this album. Those riffs are interesting but I get bored if they dont come accompained by the keys.

TheNecromancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:07 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
It lacks the amazing keys of VMII, so I dont know if patience can make any miracle with this album. Those riffs are interesting but I get bored if they dont come accompained by the keys.

This and the lack of lead riffs and harmonies are really hindering this record for me.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:23 am 

I'm a little underwhelmed so far but it wouldn't be the first (or second) time a Blut album failed to impress me straight away.
Not sure if its the production or the live drums, maybe both, but is anyone else hearing a swedish-style melodic black metal influence here and there? First couple of tracks keep making me think of early Sacramentum and Mork Gryning.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 am 

TheNecromancer wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

This and the lack of lead riffs and harmonies are really hindering this record for me.

Absolute.

This is quite sad becasue the Memoria Vetusta saga´s albums are the only records I really love from this band and the cover is magnificent, so I was quite excited about buying the album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:23 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

TheNecromancer wrote:

Watered down I said.

shwartzheim wrote:
Not sure if its the production or the live drums, maybe both, but is anyone else hearing a swedish-style melodic black metal influence here and there? First couple of tracks keep making me think of early Sacramentum and Mork Gryning.

Yeah, it's weird for BaN standards.

Paganbasque wrote:
This is quite sad becasue the Memoria Vetusta saga´s albums are the only records I really love from this band and the cover is magnificent, so I was quite excited about buying the album.

No love for 777 trilogy?

BasqueStorm wrote:
Are you listening to the Mp3@320 leak? It REALLY seems like a low quality (source) transcode to Mp3@320.

Could someone confirm us if the leak is a good quality one, please? I'm intrigued!

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:39 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
Are you listening to the Mp3@320 leak? It REALLY seems like a low quality (source) transcode to Mp3@320.

Could someone confirm us if the leak is a good quality one, please? I'm intrigued!

It hasn't leaked yet. The one which is up is Riddle of Steel by Sons of Crom.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 am 

doomster999 wrote:
It hasn't leaked yet. The one which is up is Riddle of Steel by Sons of Crom.

Do you think so?
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2456079#p2456079

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 am 

^Ah, it seems fixed. Listening to the album right now.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:29 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
^Ah, it seems fixed. Listening to the album right now.

:beer:

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:42 pm 

Noisey has a stream up. Hopefully it's better quality (I'm waiting until I get my copy to listen to it so I don't know if it is or not).

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/blut-aus-no ... sta-iii-lp

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 pm 

resisting. I shall await the deliverance. The deliverance of international mail.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:11 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

BasqueStorm wrote:

I was listening to the 320 leak. Other people suspect that the 320 leak is from a 128 source, and I suspect so too. I can't confirm anything, but I don't find it likely that the real album would sound so compressed and lacking in dynamics.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:37 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
I was listening to the 320 leak. Other people suspect that the 320 leak is from a 128 source, and I suspect so too. I can't confirm anything, but I don't find it likely that the real album would sound so compressed and lacking in dynamics.

Like I said, I hope so!

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:17 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

Like I said, I hope so!

Got my hands on a FLAC. I think I'm just not the biggest fan of the mixing. To put it bluntly, the guitars sound a little shrill and lack the mids I'd like. They just sound a tad hollow compared to the previous albums in the trilogy. I don't think it detracts from the album in a major way, it's just distinctly a bit brittle sounding to my ears if I just listened to something else previously.

The music itself? Fantastic. I'll be sure to buy it. I recommend it a lot more than any album in their 777 trilogy.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:12 pm 

Everyone can stop fucking around with leaks. It's on Debemur Morti's Bandcamp now:
http://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/memori ... ian-poetry

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next