Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashfan07
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:31 pm
Posts: 925
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:16 pm 
 

Debemur Morti has confirmed this via Facebook. While I haven't seen the full title officially announced it is supposedly "Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry" according to some blogs and some posts on Last.fm. Regardless, this has quickly shot to my most anticipated of 2013, assuming it comes out this year. MVI and MVII are absolute masterpieces of soaring, mysterious, and enthralling black metal. More than anything, it blows me away that Vindsval can be so productive without sacrificing quality. What say the denizens of MA of this matter? :P
_________________
Galaahd wrote:
When my mom saw my Sodom shirt she thought I was homosexual.

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:36 pm 
 

Hnnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh.

I can't really think of any better content to add than that. Maybe that I still think this will be majestic despite the mediocrity of 777-3... Nope. Hnnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh still says more.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 3516
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 pm 
 

First Nokturnal Mortum says they're working on new stuff, then Paysage d'Hiver returns, then Summoning returns, then The Ruins of Beverast which has a one song teaser out and no confirmed tracklist/date yet, now Blut aus Nord are returning to their MV saga?

This is a year of titanic amounts of anticipation for me. If Darkspace announces album number 4, then by fuck I'm building a time machine.
_________________
severzhavnost wrote:
Naradan wrote:
this jewel of music,which honestly made me sit on my ass.


I hit play, and was overcome with the urge to be physically inactive! Great music!

Top
 Profile  
HellishHound
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 370
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 pm 
 

Wilytank wrote:
First Nokturnal Mortum says they're working on new stuff, then Paysage d'Hiver returns, then Summoning returns, then The Ruins of Beverast which has a one song teaser out and no confirmed tracklist/date yet, now Blut aus Nord are returning to their MV saga?

This is a year of titanic amounts of anticipation for me. If Darkspace announces album number 4, then by fuck I'm building a time machine.


Ditto. This year is shaping up to be one of best. So much new stuff coming out by amazing bands! Great year to be a metalhead that's for sure.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
As a mature adult with refined tastes, I'm now smart enough to know that riffs are god, metal rules and hail satan.

Top
 Profile  
DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 575
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:32 am 
 

This was the first time a thread title made me gasp audibly. Was not expecting a third MV.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 am 
 

Fuckfucka fucky fuckafack! Jesus christ that's awesome news. I just really hope he doesn't rush this or commit to it in an unfocused way. It's too good a legacy to tarnish. Anyway, with a new album from The Eye coming out next year, we've got so much goodness to look forward to!

Damn, totally forgot I hadn't listened to Das Tor yet, thanks for the reminder, Wily ;)
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
MazeofTorment
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 2039
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:31 am 
 

:hyper: :love:
_________________
Sokaris wrote:
I love this board but I'm fucking tired of everyone ejaculating every time someone puts a tree on an album cover.

Top
 Profile  
absurder21
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:51 pm
Posts: 673
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:56 am 
 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Hnnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh.

I can't really think of any better content to add than that. Maybe that I still think this will be majestic despite the mediocrity of 777-3... Nope. Hnnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh still says more.

Totally my thoughts too. After the creative brick wall they git on Cosmosophy I am not really down yet for another new BAN. If it's actually more akin to the godliness of those or even Sects I may be a bit warmed it up, but it's gunna be awhile till I can feel safe having too much anticipation for a BAN record after that. Just feels like they're overwhelming people with releases, but it's their band... plus they could be Senmuth...

Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:01 am 
 

I am thrilled about a prospect for a third album though I thought as good as the melodies and leads were for the secondary Memoria Vetusta album, that the material as a whole was a little overlong for me. The beauty about Fathers of an Icy Age is that the melodies, cold atmosphere, and just ethereal nature of them music fits well within the time frame. Song lengths like Antithesis of the flesh really got to me as just going through the motions, but other than that the album was stellar as most of the material from BAN is. I just hope the songs can hold my attention a little more.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:55 am 
 

absurder21 wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
Hnnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh.

I can't really think of any better content to add than that. Maybe that I still think this will be majestic despite the mediocrity of 777-3... Nope. Hnnnnnnngggghhhhhhhh still says more.

Totally my thoughts too. After the creative brick wall they git on Cosmosophy I am not really down yet for another new BAN. If it's actually more akin to the godliness of those or even Sects I may be a bit warmed it up, but it's gunna be awhile till I can feel safe having too much anticipation for a BAN record after that. Just feels like they're overwhelming people with releases, but it's their band... plus they could be Senmuth...


That isn't what I was really saying, I was saying despite the creative brick wall that was Cosmopshy, I am still ridiculously excited about this. Hnnnnnnggggghhhhh is a sound of excited glee.

Although they do seem to have gotten busy of late as you said, with the trilogy, the WOW EPs, the new Eye album as well of label operations, maybe Vinny lost his job and has nothing to do but fuck around on the guitar all day. At any rate, I still think he's got the skills to keep up the standard, I think he was pretty quick in his youth too, just split between a few more bands.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
CoF
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:25 pm
Posts: 462
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:15 am 
 

Veracs wrote:
I am thrilled about a prospect for a third album though I thought as good as the melodies and leads were for the secondary Memoria Vetusta album, that the material as a whole was a little overlong for me. The beauty about Fathers of an Icy Age is that the melodies, cold atmosphere, and just ethereal nature of them music fits well within the time frame. Song lengths like Antithesis of the flesh really got to me as just going through the motions, but other than that the album was stellar as most of the material from BAN is. I just hope the songs can hold my attention a little more.


I'm glad to see someone sharing my opinion... I always got the impression, that MVII received much more praise here than its predecessor, which tends to get overlooked... but the latter may very well be my favourite BAN album due to its incredible riffs and the perfectly fitting sound.

I was a bit afraid that with the work on the second The Eye album we would have to wait longer for new BAN material, so this is great news.
_________________
You gotta keep the devil way down in the hole / Possession Is The Medicine

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 2038
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 am 
 

thrashfan07 wrote:
Debemur Morti has confirmed this via Facebook. While I haven't seen the full title officially announced it is supposedly "Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry" according to some blogs and some posts on Last.fm. Regardless, this has quickly shot to my most anticipated of 2013, assuming it comes out this year. MVI and MVII are absolute masterpieces of soaring, mysterious, and enthralling black metal. More than anything, it blows me away that Vindsval can be so productive without sacrificing quality. What say the denizens of MA of this matter? :P

Nice, thanks, but sources, please. Ok, let's see:
https://www.facebook.com/debemurmorti

Debemur Morti Productions wrote on 14th May by mobile wrote:
Memoria Vetusta III.


Any more info, please?

Edit:
http://www.thrashocore.com/accueil/accueil.html

Quote:
BLUT AUS NORD (Black Metal Avant-Gardiste) annonce la réalisation de Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry à venir chez Debemur Morti.


Not much more, really.

Top
 Profile  
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 am
Posts: 977
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:51 am 
 

Great news.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:56 am 
 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Nice, thanks, but sources, please. Ok, let's see:
https://www.facebook.com/debemurmorti

Debemur Morti Productions wrote on 14th May by mobile wrote:
Memoria Vetusta III.


Any more info, please?


It's also funny to note - in the comment thread of that Facebook update - how easily rumors and misinformation get started. Some guy in there talks about how "he read in an interview that it was going to feature the drummer from Spektr," so there would probably be a live drummer on the album.... No, completely wrong. Vindsval is working with the drummer from Spektr on a completely different project called VJESHITZA that has yet to see the light of day. And besides which, just because you are working with a drummer from a different band doesn't at all mean that said drummer is going to be playing live drums in the project, or even playing drums at all! Come on, people, get your shit straight.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 am
Posts: 401
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:41 am 
 

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to this, especially after the gigantic letdown that was the entire 777 series (yes, even Sect(s)). And I concur that MVI is one of their best works, if not the best.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9880
Location: Seattle, United States
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:35 pm 
 

Memoria Vetusta I is probably my favorite black metal album ever. I can't exactly think of any other right now that tops it. The debut is close, but the riffs in MVI and the unmatched atmosphere that was never lost give it a one-up. MVII I liked though felt it was kind of flawed. Hearing a third one in the works makes me excited but also cautious since this can go either way.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
pbarb
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 316
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:41 pm 
 

Great news! BAN is probably my favorite band. Unlike some I enjoy all their styles and albums, even MoRT, but the memoria vetusta albums are among my favorites. With this and news of "the eye" releasing a new album after 16 years, I am very excited!

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:17 pm 
 

Glad to hear MVI is so high on your list, Ozzy. Am I wrong or did it grow on you not too long ago? Somehow I seem to remember you not rating it that highly in the past. In any case, I agree... one of the greatest BM records ever, simply incredible.
What flaws do you think MVII's got? I remember when I first heard it I was a bit let down by the cleaner, more technical/ethereal sound because I was expecting another macabre, barbaric experience like the first chapter, but on subsequent listens came to realize it's just as much of a masterpiece. So many dazzling riffs and glorious compositional displays. I do wish vocals had been more heavily involved and the instrumentals could've been woven in a bit more smoothly, but it's still a 95+% album easily.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
hippiedrow
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:15 pm
Posts: 1720
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
 

This is great news. Both of the Memoria Vetusta albums are my favorites.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9880
Location: Seattle, United States
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:09 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Glad to hear MVI is so high on your list, Ozzy. Am I wrong or did it grow on you not too long ago? Somehow I seem to remember you not rating it that highly in the past. In any case, I agree... one of the greatest BM records ever, simply incredible.
What flaws do you think MVII's got? I remember when I first heard it I was a bit let down by the cleaner, more technical/ethereal sound because I was expecting another macabre, barbaric experience like the first chapter, but on subsequent listens came to realize it's just as much of a masterpiece. So many dazzling riffs and glorious compositional displays. I do wish vocals had been more heavily involved and the instrumentals could've been woven in a bit more smoothly, but it's still a 95+% album easily.

Hmm, I first heard the debut and then I heard MV back around 2007. I liked them both equally, but expressed more for the debut. However, I suppose the strengths really became apparent to me and why they made the second a better album (and Ultima Thulee is a 99% from me, so MVI is a 100%).

MVII's flaws to me include the cleaner production. It doesn't sound as strong, with none of the bite in the riffs that MVI had. The guitar tone just feels restricted - beautiful music, tamer guitars. Drums also didn't sound that great. Fantastic album, I'd rate it high 80s if you put me in the spot. Can't say the compositions themselves were bad.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
ghost223
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 799
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:50 pm 
 

If they truly are working on a third MV, then I am tremendously excited. Good lord do i love the Memoria Vetusta albums! Outstanding news
_________________
AmishFury wrote:
I used to be a Black Metal musician like you, then I took a knife to the Euronymous

Top
 Profile  
IX Leviathan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Trailer Park Land
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 pm 
 

This is awesome news. MVI and II are my favourite works from Vindsval. Glad to see he's reviving the series, definitely up near the top for my most anticipated this year.
_________________
Last.fm
BastardHead wrote:
One of my friends used to watch MTV, next thing I knew he took two whole marijuanas and died instantly.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1602
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 am 
 

Please let this be true.

... And no clean vocals

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 pm 
 

Still haven't heard Cosmosophy, so the clean vocals there I still have yet to encounter... though I would like to offer a reminder that BAN have used clean vocals in the past, and to very good effect as well. "Slaughterday" on MVI comes immediately to mind, and, to a lesser extent, "From Hli∂skjalf" on Ultima Thulée. "The Call of a Thousand Souls" on The Eye's Supremacy also features a ton of really well-implemented clean singing. I feel like there are more instances that I'm forgetting now as well. In any case, Vindsval can pull it off on a good day.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
adace
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:30 pm
Posts: 246
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:48 pm 
 

Hella excited for this.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1602
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Still haven't heard Cosmosophy, so the clean vocals there I still have yet to encounter... though I would like to offer a reminder that BAN have used clean vocals in the past, and to very good effect as well. "Slaughterday" on MVI comes immediately to mind, and, to a lesser extent, "From Hli∂skjalf" on Ultima Thulée. "The Call of a Thousand Souls" on The Eye's Supremacy also features a ton of really well-implemented clean singing. I feel like there are more instances that I'm forgetting now as well. In any case, Vindsval can pull it off on a good day.


Yeah, I love the cleans on the earlier albums but the ones utilized in Cosmosophy were just half assed. If that was Vindsval singing on the earlier stuff then his singing has really regressed. It took me a while before I could listen to Cosmosophy without cringing

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:43 pm 
 

Urrg :ugh: I've heard such mixed opinions on Cosmosophy. Definitely won't be going into it without steeling myself first, though.

I don't think Vinsval's ever been a good singer, but in the past he was able to make the clean vocals work by placing them relatively low in the mix so that the flaws weren't that apparent. It's always confused me when musicians commit their singing to record at a forefront position when it isn't even up to snuff. Either practice more and make it sound better or just go in a different direction entirely. Bad singing just fouls everything, no matter how good the music itself is.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 2217
Location: At the bottom of the lake
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Either practice more and make it sound better or just go in a different direction entirely.

I know what you mean! it isn't like you can't just delete a wobbly take and do over. I haven't heard Cosmosophy, either. I have a lot to listen to.
_________________
TheStormIRide wrote:
Strange whistling vocals in human monster? Color me intrigued.

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1602
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:31 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Urrg :ugh: I've heard such mixed opinions on Cosmosophy. Definitely won't be going into it without steeling myself first, though.

I don't think Vinsval's ever been a good singer, but in the past he was able to make the clean vocals work by placing them relatively low in the mix so that the flaws weren't that apparent. It's always confused me when musicians commit their singing to record at a forefront position when it isn't even up to snuff. Either practice more and make it sound better or just go in a different direction entirely. Bad singing just fouls everything, no matter how good the music itself is.

Totally agree man.
I wonder how a vocalist delivers crappy vocals and the other band members and every other person working with the band can't stand up and say how awful the vocals are. If you can't sing, why not stick to composing and playing instruments then get someone who can

Top
 Profile  
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 258
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:58 pm 
 

I'm pretty stoked about this, I personally thought the last 3 albums were all great, and MV II is one of my favourite bm albums of all time. I hope the third installment is different from the 777 series though, although I think that's a given. It'll be cool to get another stripped-down melodic BM album from them like Dialogue With The Stars, but whatever happens I know they'll put out a quality album.
_________________
VRR wrote:
I was thinking mainly about the one Turn of the wheel which is about the seasons on whatever album it was. I doubt it is any more profound in Ukrainian, seeing as the meaning is something like "Summer is hot/Winter is not/Spring-a-ding-a-ling/Autumn I forgot."

Top
 Profile  
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:53 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm 
 

As a bona fide BAN fanboy, I am of course stoked for this. These guys never take a break. As far as Cosmosophy goes, I quite like it but of course it isn't my favorite album of theirs, although Epitome XVI is one of my top ten favorite BAN songs. I think the clean vocals, while not a technical marvel by any means, are fine and fit the music quite well.
_________________
Bezerko, on Vader's 'Freezing Moon' cover wrote:
FREEZING MOON DOES NOT HAVE CHUGS VADER. DO NOT CHUG IN FREEZING MOON.
rexxz wrote:
Death metal is eternal.

Top
 Profile  
captain_che
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:20 pm
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:31 pm 
 

Holy shit! Excellent news. Now if only Vindsval's work with Monolithe would get released...

Top
 Profile  
Emanon
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 am
Posts: 211
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 pm 
 

Just seeing this topic made me a very happy camper. Can't wait.
_________________
Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 1671
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:01 am 
 

Awesome news!! Memoria vetusta I and II were both great and very original, MV II has incredibly good keys, the atmosphere is so dark and intense!.

So I have very high expectations with this new album. :D

Top
 Profile  
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 258
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 am 
 

I think it'll be damn good
_________________
VRR wrote:
I was thinking mainly about the one Turn of the wheel which is about the seasons on whatever album it was. I doubt it is any more profound in Ukrainian, seeing as the meaning is something like "Summer is hot/Winter is not/Spring-a-ding-a-ling/Autumn I forgot."

Top
 Profile  
MazeofTorment
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 2039
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm 
 

Despite my initial excitement and high expectations(see:my first post), I ultimately agree with Ozzy on this. First installment in this series is one of the greatest black/folk metal albums ever and the second is also fantastic, but flawed. So, I doubt he'll be able to ever top that initial inspiration but I would be quite satisfied if he matches the level of MVII. There's really nothing from this band that I actually don't like at least a little bit. I wasn't expecting a third installment in this series at all so its awesome news.

BUT,

With regards to Cosmosophy, I feel its an album that needs examining and then re-examining. I liked it when I first heard it and listened to it a couple times, but would probably lean in the direction of those who thought it was mildly disappointing. So, I took a long break from it(cause I really didn't want to listen to it) and came back to it recently. Big difference. Thoroughly enjoy it now and put it right in the pantheon of great BAN albums. While I'm sure Vindsval would argue each album is its own unique entity, Cosmosophy really is a much different vision, audibly, at least. Instead of the chaos and mystique of previous albums, there's largely a grandiose feeling of power and enlightenment not seen on previous works, not to the same extent, that is. While I think there's plenty in the MV series that could be described as beautiful, Cosmosophy is the only other album I would apply that word to. Yet, the closing track is SO good in that you really get a sense of it being more of a tragic beauty above all else. I should probably stop now and just review that shit, haha. :-D

But yeah, in short, if you don't think Cosmosophy was very good I HIGHLY recommend giving it another (good) inspection. I think it stands on its own even though its part of a trilogy, and is really not mediocre in any way. Flawed, sure, but still a very strong, unique BAN release.
_________________
Sokaris wrote:
I love this board but I'm fucking tired of everyone ejaculating every time someone puts a tree on an album cover.

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:38 pm 
 

I still think the closing track is Procession of the Dead Clown's retarded little brother.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
juicebitch
Juice Bitch

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 1568
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm 
 

Fuck. Wasn't expecting a third MV album either! MV1 and 2 are among my favorite records ever - they're just so majestic. Vindsval better not fuck this up.

I loved how MV2 sounded like it could have been written straight after MV1 despite the stylistic change affecting the albums in between. As a songwriter I'm sure Vindsval has the ability to do something similar with his approach to MV3.
_________________
HALBERD - death/doom featuring members of the Metal Archives !!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
Album art/updates etc: https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 pm 
 

MazeofTorment wrote:
First installment in this series is one of the greatest black/folk metal albums ever


MazeofTorment wrote:
folk metal album


:scratch:
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
MazeofTorment
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Posts: 2039
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 pm 
 

Maybe my definition of folk is more broad in this sense than yours but I've always thought it sounded very folksy. The melodies, the clean vocals, the subject matter(Fathers of the Icey Age, Heathen Blood of Ours, The Impure Blood of theirs, War, ancient warriors etc) all strike me as evoking something more than just black metal. Perhaps Viking would be a better description, I don't know, but I've always viewed the album as such even though its certainly a black metal record at heart.
_________________
Sokaris wrote:
I love this board but I'm fucking tired of everyone ejaculating every time someone puts a tree on an album cover.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ColdYz, French Toast, MonumentalBlackArt and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group