Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 342
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:26 am 
 

Just stumbled across a new band while checking out a web page for Metal in the the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. They're called Sabbatory and it's and old school styled shit done right in the vain of Asphyx, Autopsy with some sick ass d-beat thrown in for good measure. The drumming is there, the vox is there, the riffage is there and the bass player uses his fingers. Young band knows whats up, check this out... http://youtu.be/2yxxwhBiGtU

Top
 Profile  
CF_Mono
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1551
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 pm 
 

I honestly wasn't expecting much but from what I can tell they sound amazing.
_________________
Doom or be doomed...
My current band. Wretched doom trio from NY.

Top
 Profile  
BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 342
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 am 
 

yeah hey? not to mention doing headwhips like a maniac always bumps a band up on the worth while meter at least a few notches. headbanger shit

Top
 Profile  
The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 am
Posts: 623
Location: Kor-Avul-Thaa
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 am 
 

Check out Besieged if you don't know them already.
_________________
ATWOTE

Top
 Profile  
BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 342
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:49 am 
 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
Check out Besieged if you don't know them already.


Yeah, I heard of them on this other board I check for maniac happenings on there this month. Apparently one of the guys in this band here was a live musician for them, as well. Winnipeg madness for the win

edit these guys should play with Deathroner

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6119
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:16 am 
 

very cool stuff man, cheers for sharing!
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
Deviante
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 618
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:14 am 
 

That kicked my ass! Great stuff. Thanks for posting man.
_________________
Goatfangs wrote:
I named a praying mantis "Dio" after Dio, because he is awesome (the mantis is cool too). I even brought Dio the mantis to a metal show... so I can honestly say I was at a metal show with Dio.

Top
 Profile  
g_k
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm
Posts: 746
Location: NEBRASKA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
 

actually pretty damn catchy, sounded good especially since it's live.
_________________
My Last.FM recommend me nearly anything!

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2841
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:28 pm 
 

Fuckin' ace. Really glad to hear new bands play this style. Needless to say, I pretty much dig their stuff. They need a proper release of their material!

Top
 Profile  
Nyaricus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 1242
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 am 
 

Nice to see this here on MA. I'm from Winnipeg.

Sabbatory are indeed one of the sickest new local bands from here. It's crushingly old school, I'm really looking forward to a full length release by this band, only demo tapes so far, and I don't do tapes as it goes. That drummer is also in Electro Quaterstaff (drums), Archagathus (guitars/vocals) and more. The bassist there was in Besieged I think at one point, I could be wrong tho.

And speaking of Besieged, they are also indeed a great band from here. After a couple of years of keeping quiet they are apparently back and writing a new album that'll be out later this year.

If people are digging the d-beat in their sound, I gotta rec Zombie Assault and Putrescence from here as well. Zombie Assault are d-beat death/grind, absolutely great band. Putrescence share a couple of members with ZA, but are a more brutal deathgrind band with some punkish moments. The vocalist of Putrescence is also in Head Hits Concrete, who are one of the best grind bands in Winnipeg, blistering technicality and brutality. The two new guitarists in Putrescence and the drummer are in a grind/crust/crossover band called Flash Out. The drummer of HHC was also in Wolbachia, who are now defunct, but were a great crust/grind band.

Everyone's kind of in everyone else's band here in Winnipeg, as you can tell. I'm still missing half the connections in the short list above. It's awesome though, we have a small but tight knit and thriving underground scene, especially the death/grind/crust spectrum of extreme music. Quality bands.
_________________
Hoarfrost MB BM

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2841
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:07 am 
 

Nyaricus wrote:
And speaking of Besieged, they are also indeed a great band from here. After a couple of years of keeping quiet they are apparently back and writing a new album that'll be out later this year.


Damn that's great news! I always loved their material, very reminiscent of early Sepultura. I'm not sure if you know this but I think Besieged are one of the bands enjoyed by this community (by death/thrash fans of course) so I'm sure many would welcome this news as well.

Top
 Profile  
dalecooper
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 705
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
 

I try to keep pure plugola off this forum and in the designed zone, but you guys might be interested to know that Besieged's 2010 album "Victims Beyond All Help" will be reissued by my label Unspeakable Axe soon, and available to purchase via Dark Descent. The original release (pro CD-R that the band had printed) was highly limited and yet was one of my favorite thrash albums since the glory days, so I thought it was high time it had a wider release. Official release date is July 9th, but I expect Dark Descent to have them sooner - maybe end of May or so.

I'd also love to work with them on their next album, if they're happy with the job we do on this one. They say they're working on material that should be even heavier and faster (how??), with more of a death metal feel to it. Can't wait to hear it.
_________________
Unspeakable Axe Records

Dark Descent Records

Top
 Profile  
The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 am
Posts: 623
Location: Kor-Avul-Thaa
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:48 pm 
 

dalecooper wrote:
I try to keep pure plugola off this forum and in the designed zone, but you guys might be interested to know that Besieged's 2010 album "Victims Beyond All Help" will be reissued by my label Unspeakable Axe soon, and available to purchase via Dark Descent. The original release (pro CD-R that the band had printed) was highly limited and yet was one of my favorite thrash albums since the glory days, so I thought it was high time it had a wider release. Official release date is July 9th, but I expect Dark Descent to have them sooner - maybe end of May or so.

I'd also love to work with them on their next album, if they're happy with the job we do on this one. They say they're working on material that should be even heavier and faster (how??), with more of a death metal feel to it. Can't wait to hear it.


I have the original Digipak CD-R, but will probably pick up a copy of the reissue. It should have been a proper pressing in the first place... Will the reissue be a Digipak as well? Also, will you be doing any new merch? Patches?!
_________________
ATWOTE

Top
 Profile  
soul_schizm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am
Posts: 659
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:29 am 
 

Yeah, really liked this stuff. I love when local bands tear it up like this. I hope they record and release some more material. Great live performance.

Top
 Profile  
dalecooper
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 705
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 am 
 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
dalecooper wrote:
I try to keep pure plugola off this forum and in the designed zone, but you guys might be interested to know that Besieged's 2010 album "Victims Beyond All Help" will be reissued by my label Unspeakable Axe soon, and available to purchase via Dark Descent. The original release (pro CD-R that the band had printed) was highly limited and yet was one of my favorite thrash albums since the glory days, so I thought it was high time it had a wider release. Official release date is July 9th, but I expect Dark Descent to have them sooner - maybe end of May or so.

I'd also love to work with them on their next album, if they're happy with the job we do on this one. They say they're working on material that should be even heavier and faster (how??), with more of a death metal feel to it. Can't wait to hear it.


I have the original Digipak CD-R, but will probably pick up a copy of the reissue. It should have been a proper pressing in the first place... Will the reissue be a Digipak as well? Also, will you be doing any new merch? Patches?!


It's going to be a conventional jewel case instead (I prefer them over digipaks) with an all-new layout, but the same Repka artwork. More room for the lyrics and liner notes to spread out in, and a newly-written bio of the band.

No merch is planned at this moment but I wouldn't mind doing something down the road, perhaps. The mechanics of it need to be figured out because I don't run a distro - instead all my releases are stocked by Dark Descent and their distributors. That being the case, it's kind of weird for me to run merch because I can't sell most of it, unless I just ship it along with the CDs to DDR. But it's something I'm thinking about.
_________________
Unspeakable Axe Records

Dark Descent Records

Top
 Profile  
BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 342
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 am 
 

well that's just it right? I tell ya, that fuckin Sabbatory

Top
 Profile  
The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 am
Posts: 623
Location: Kor-Avul-Thaa
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 am 
 

More Winnipeg metal with members/ex-members of Besieged and Putrescence. Much more of a crossover sound though. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1A-dgBDfYs
_________________
ATWOTE

Top
 Profile  
vikingmetaler
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:06 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 am 
 

I'm from Winnipeg too. I've been looking for recordings or live videos from Sabbatory. They blew me away.

Top
 Profile  
dalecooper
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 705
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 pm 
 

The Besieged CD is available to pre-order now - http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/store ... ts_id=3155

I'm also talking to Sabbatory (and thanks to the author of this thread for pointing me in their direction!). Awesome band. No deal is in place but I'd love to work with them. Winnipeg makes a lot of good metal it seems.
_________________
Unspeakable Axe Records

Dark Descent Records

Top
 Profile  
The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 am
Posts: 623
Location: Kor-Avul-Thaa
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:47 am 
 

dalecooper wrote:
The Besieged CD is available to pre-order now - http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/store ... ts_id=3155


Will the band have copies?

Also, it appears War on Music will be doing the vinyl reissue.
_________________
ATWOTE

Top
 Profile  
dalecooper
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 705
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:44 am 
 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
dalecooper wrote:
The Besieged CD is available to pre-order now - http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/store ... ts_id=3155


Will the band have copies?


Yes, and fairly soon.

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
Also, it appears War on Music will be doing the vinyl reissue.


It'll be a co-release with me, yes, and it's coming this fall.
_________________
Unspeakable Axe Records

Dark Descent Records

Top
 Profile  
BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:09 am
Posts: 342
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:36 pm 
 

dalecooper wrote:
The Besieged CD is available to pre-order now - http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/store ... ts_id=3155

I'm also talking to Sabbatory (and thanks to the author of this thread for pointing me in their direction!). Awesome band. No deal is in place but I'd love to work with them. Winnipeg makes a lot of good metal it seems.


oh cool, Unspeakable Axe. Keep us posted :beer:

Top
 Profile  
hippiedrow
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:15 pm
Posts: 1720
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 pm 
 

Yes, it's so sick that I'm catching a cold from it.

Top
 Profile  
dalecooper
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 am
Posts: 705
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:57 am 
 

Very old thread but I thought you guys might like to know that the album is basically done. CD coming in the next few months. We just posted the first preview track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHjIRj9SME
_________________
Unspeakable Axe Records

Dark Descent Records

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Iconoclast, jamz, mike40k, ScandalfTheShite, Zerberus and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group