Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:03 am 

Quote:
Burzum appeared from nowhere in 1991 with a demo tape made up of a dozen guitars-and-bass-only tracks in rehearsal quality. I made a few more or less successful metal albums, but they all always included at least some ambient music. With time I moved further and further away from metal, and today only the ambient music remains. Today (2013) I think I am done playing metal music for good.

Many of you followed Burzum through the years, some even from the beginning, and I think metal-Burzum deserves a proper "good bye". So, just like I started out I will finish metal-Burzum with a guitars-and-bass-only track in rehearsal quality. "Back to the Shadows" is made up of the last metal riffs I ever made (in 2012). It was never released in any way, or recorded (beyond what you hear here), and it will not either -- beyond this short "video".

Take it for what it is; a sentimental good bye to metal-Burzum.

The music is playing with an image of the 17 year-old me, taken from the time when some of the first Burzum tracks were made. You can see this track as a good bye to that fellow too.

You can use this music as you please privately, but the track is mine, so if you by any chance want to use it commercially you need a permission from me to do so.

NB! Remember that I don't have a Facebook account, so all those claiming to be me there are frauds.

I'm sure everyone seen this coming, with each new album containing less and less metal. I still enjoyed all of his post-prison metal albums though, and this could be interesting. His claims that the new album will sound similar to the older Burzum ambient stuff has definitely caught my attention.

Personally, I think he should have spent a little more time on this track, and used it for the outro to Umskiptar, with it being the last metal track Varg will, supposedly, ever do.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 am 

Could see it coming, still sad as there was a lot of inspiration and goodness remaining on Umskiptar. I wouldn't be really surprised if he'll get back to it one day.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 am 

I suspect this decision is largely out of consideration for his kids.

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 am 

Filosofuck wrote:

I suspect you're the only one suspecting that.

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:45 am 

It's just because he suddenly found out about how "guitars" and "drums" have Arabic/Spanish and roots to what ever he calls Niggers/Sub-Humans (Jazz, Blues etc).

What is important is his latest releases is not good at all, just a few albums from the 90's time are worthy, anyway i can easily just ignore him as an artist and ignore his whole discography, i don't support people who totally change much from time to time.

There's allot of great bands in the underground to keep me busy, so yeah this no case to me, i simply just don't care.

Last edited by ahmedssmb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 am 

ahmedssmb wrote:
It's just because he suddenly found out about how "guitars" and "drums" have Arabic/Spanish and roots to what ever he calls Niggers/Sub-Humans (Jazz, Blues etc), what is important is his latest releases is not good at all, just a few albums from the 90's time are worthy, anyway i can easily just ignore him as an artist and ignore his whole discography, i don't support people who totally change much from time to time, there's allot of great bands in the underground to keep me busy, so yeah this no case to me, i simply just don't care.

You will never find a replacement for Burzum.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 am 

ahmedssmb wrote:
It's just because he suddenly found out about how "guitars" and "drums" have Arabic/Spanish and roots to what ever he calls Niggers/Sub-Humans (Jazz, Blues etc)

That's the excuse he used back when he switched to ambient in prison, so I doubt that has much to do with it this time.

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:06 am 

Another silly thing is, if you check his likes on you-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThuleanPers ... id&view=15, you will notice he Favorited the trailer of some idiotic movie w/e titled "Jack the Giant Slayer" if you check-out the director and go to the Wikipedia page, you'll notice a "few" things about him, ill quote since i got banned the last time for "slurs", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Singer "He grew up in a Jewish household in W..." AND "He is openly gay and has said that his life experiences of growing up as a minority influenced his movies...".

As noticed even "Varg" who acts extremely racist and homophobic (judging from his blog entries), even him could fall in the Jewish bull-shit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 pm 

Filosofuck wrote:

Yes. Being raised in an environment with metal music in it is proven to be highly hazardous to development.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:20 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Filosofuck wrote:

Yes. Being raised in an environment with metal music in it is proven to be highly hazardous to development.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was one of Varg's reasons.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm 

Filosofuck wrote:
You will never find a replacement for Burzum.

Why's that? Tons of bands have made better music, in my opinion, than Burzum ever has/had.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:55 pm 

It's funny how the imitators in this case turned out better than the original, right?

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:38 pm 

Neat, this song sounds awful.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:51 pm 

There's only so much repetitive crap one can keep on putting out. It actually wouldn't surprise me if he goes along the dance/dub route and starts putting out something like Merzbow or Electric Kettle under a pseudonym.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:53 pm 

I do love ambient music, however I have to say I'm alittle dissapointed though I did see it coming. He's been going this way for years. I may not support his views (obviously for those who know me) but his music has been good, and some of the first black metal I listened to. I'll keep listening out of my love for ambient, but I will miss the metal burzum.

lesions
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:44 pm 

I just wish this were an EP or something, It just doesn't sound complete.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:48 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
It's funny how the imitators in this case turned out better than the original, right?

I don't recall that ever happening. Fuck a Drudkh.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 pm 

RIP in piss
Burzum has been largely irrelevant and shit since he got out of prison and lived off its previous achievements and Varg's big fucking mouth. Maybe now that he dropped metal he could start reheashing songs like Tomhet and Rundgang so then Burzum would be good again. Or he will just keep ranting about jews and ancient Scandinavia and making lame music, which sadly is the most likely option for him

Tuberculosisectomy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 pm 

Love the metal, but good to see him following his visions though

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
There's only so much repetitive crap one can keep on putting out. It actually wouldn't surprise me if he goes along the dance/dub route and starts putting out something like Merzbow or Electric Kettle under a pseudonym.

Because Merzbow is really dance-y music, right? Hmm.

I honestly feel nothing for the end of metal Burzum. So what? Yeah yeah, atmospheric music, original and innovative twenty years ago, but so, so, sooo overrated and well past his best.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 pm 

I think he meant that Burzum will release dance/dub music and that Varg would secretly put out Merzbow stuff under a pseudonym.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 pm 

Farewell to metal, hello to the new Burzum!

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:05 pm 

It's sucks because the last three albums were fucking beautiful! I loved Fallen the best and can always listen to the old shit, but it sucks to find out that he is no longer interested in metal.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 am 

Well, at least this statement sounds more mature, no bullshit reasons to leave metal, only a natural desire to do other things, I respect him for that.

His second era has been interesting so its a pity but if the wants to do other type of music there is no problem. By the way, the samples of the new album sound quite interesting.

This instrumental sounds ok, nice riff, I would like to listen to it in a proper song but sadly it is not posible.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:20 am 

It's played with finesse and original touch, but the riff itself is very basic and, well, unoriginal. I enjoyed the bit, but it should've developed into something. I understand it was an abandoned and unfinished thing, of course.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 pm 

I think it was nice. Very much in the vein of "The Crying Orc", and it suffers from the same problem: it is not long enough! If Varg Vikernes wants to make music that is not metal, then that is his choice, and he does not make any attempt to justify this other than the fact that it is not what he wants to do anymore - fair enough.

The last time he did this (late 90ies) he claimed to move away from "alien music", which turns out to be bullshit, seeing how he made 3 full-lengths of metal, very similar to where Filosofem left off.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:52 pm 

Fuck Burzum. If Euronymous was still alive I'm sure he would still be making awesome black metal. Thanks Varg, for killing Mayhem and Burzum, Dick.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 pm 

These riffs are actually pretty good I think, and the way he arranged them sounds like a sort of "goodbye" song, so I guess it fits the occasion.

Although I kinda feel odd about this. It almost seems like he's sort of just "quitting" because he can't find the inspiration to write metal. It doesn't surprise me. Since he came out of prison he has literally released an album a year. Can you imagine that? You write, record, mix, master, and release an album all within a year's time, it's no surprise that some songs would sound uninspired. It ends up sounding completely rushed. If anything I think you should spend the most time on the writing process and take the time you need, whatever is necessary. Sometimes the inspiration isn't there, so if that's the case don't force yourself to write. Let it come when it does, and then you can end up writing some brilliant material! Just look at Neurosis. They released nothing for 5 years after Given To The Rising, and then when Honor Found In Decay came out it was a masterpiece! They took the time that was needed and didn't feel like they had to compromise. But Varg put out a new record each year, it seems almost to the point where it was just for the sake of putting out a record. And what did we get? Stuff that many people (probably along with him) didn't feel was as strong, and as this went on - like someone else above stated - he slowly started to fade away and become more and more irrelevant. I feel that if he just took more time to breathe between his releases and to let the ideas come, he would put out a higher quality album that would attract more attention and people would be saying "Burzum is back!" Maybe some time away from metal can help his mind rest, and then if he does return to it he could come up with great stuff! Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised if this "farewell to metal" was short-lived.

But then again, if the inspiration truly isn't there, why force yourself to write metal when you know you don't want to in the first place? If your inspiration and ideas take you elsewhere, let them. Maybe you'll write something that sounds new, fresh, and exciting - maybe it'll be different from what you usually write, but the quality will be good enough to hook your listeners like your classics did. Just look at Opeth and Darkthrone! Both bands kind of got sick of what they were doing, and I personally think the switch did them both justice (although for some reason everyone shits on Heritage). Both of them are hitting new highs, and maybe with this switch Varg could breathe some fresh air and write something new and interesting again.

But then again I've never really liked Burzum in the first place, so what do I care?

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 pm 

Also, I think Euronymous was incredibly overrated. Of course you have to give credit where it is due; he did manifest a good chunk of the modern black metal style, but he wasn't a God, that's for sure. So many guitar players and writers were way better than him. I personally think Blasphemer is the better writer and guitar player.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Also, I think Euronymous was incredibly overrated. Of course you have to give credit where it is due; he did manifest a good chunk of the modern black metal style, but he wasn't a God, that's for sure. So many guitar players and writers were way better than him. I personally think Blasphemer is the better writer and guitar player.

Mayhem has never been one of my favorite bands, but there was some awesome riffage on De Myteriis that could have been improved upon. I liked Blasphemer a lot on Wolf's Lair Abyss, but everything after that has kind of been experiments gone wrong or just re-releasing the same old shit over and over. It would be cool if Hellhammer joined a better band since Mayhem hasn't really been "active" in forever... Back on topic, Burzum sucks! but I suppose I will give this lame "bye bye to metal metal song" a listen now.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:22 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

Technically he can be a better guitar player but the feeling of the riffs created by Euronyms is much more intense, which is the essence of black metal.

Moreover, thanks to Varg he didnt have more time to develop as a guitar player, though he seemed to be more focus on others thing than music itself.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 am 

this track is fucking sweet. tbh, the only thing varg's even slightly disappointed me with so far is daudi baldrs. looking forward to more pling-plong albums, looking forward to more mad ranting on his blog.

anyone arguing that euronymous could've produced this much quality since 1993 or so has rocks in their head

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 am 

Don't forget Snorre. The guy was writing killer songs ans riffs way before Euro released something worthwhile and without him, DMDS wouldnt exist in the form it is today.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Desperta_Ferro wrote:

I don't recall that ever happening. Fuck a Drudkh.

Drudkh are absolutely fucking mind-blowing.
Marag wrote:
RIP in piss
Burzum has been largely irrelevant and shit since he got out of prison and lived off its previous achievements and Varg's big fucking mouth. Maybe now that he dropped metal he could start reheashing songs like Tomhet and Rundgang so then Burzum would be good again. Or he will just keep ranting about jews and ancient Scandinavia and making lame music, which sadly is the most likely option for him

Burzum has no bad albums, and the last three have all been great. I expect that his future releases will be great as well, metal or not.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:06 am 

Filosofuck wrote:
Drudkh are absolutely fucking mind-blowing.

::Footage not found::

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 am 

Marag wrote:
RIP in piss

Haha, someone agrees with me! I actually never read his blog though because I just don't care. I've listened to all his post prison stuff always hoping to like it more than I did. There were 1 or 2 songs on Belus and Fallen that were pretty good and this new 2 minute track shows he could still make good metal. I just don't get it, is he even going to use guitars anymore or just synth everything? I don't understand how a musician can just put down their instruments like that.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm 

Just don't listen to him anymore, move on with your life

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:52 pm 

I don't, I gave his last 3 albums a few listens and that's about it. Plenty of other good music to listen to.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 pm 

The last thing we need is more Varg drama. I'm sure it's one of those descisions that makes sense to him now but he may end up regretting later. Either way, he might just be trying to milk the little attention left from the metal community and especially his fans. The more he uncovers something about himself or his music, the more apeshit people go over it. I didn't see his latest albums as being anything spectacular relative to his pre-jail music. The idea of an ambient Burzum intrigues me nonetheless. But really, it's his descision, nobody elses, no need for a big fuss.

ahmedssmb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:01 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Marag wrote:
RIP in piss

Haha, someone agrees with me! I actually never read his blog though because I just don't care. I've listened to all his post prison stuff always hoping to like it more than I did. There were 1 or 2 songs on Belus and Fallen that were pretty good and this new 2 minute track shows he could still make good metal. I just don't get it, is he even going to use guitars anymore or just synth everything? I don't understand how a musician can just put down their instruments like that.

He totally opposed the rule of obscurantism in Black Metal, and instead just wrote and spoke too much, this is no good, obviously he has weakness, or likes to show him self, but this is humanistic and not accepted in Black Metal in my opinion, we just don't care, fuck humans.

And yes, stop listening to him now, there's plenty, thousands of great bands in the underground waiting, don't let it fall in the hands of random collectors who don't understand the art and instead just being hooliganish, start searching now, and replace your albums...!!!

Some hint on how to find high quality shit: I checked Watain's label the other day and found a band called Crepusculum, totally fantastic artist and good music.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next