Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
chaos_orb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm 

We all know that Mark Reale, the heart-and-soul of Riot, has passed away, but there still seems to be some action in the band camp.
From their Facebook page, someone asked:
Is there a new RIOT album in the works by any chance????? I have the entire RIOT collection and though it won't be the same without the Legend-Mark Reale, I still want to hear some new RIOT music!!!!! Thanks guys!!
Riot answers:
Thanks Phil! We are currently working on new songs, It definitely wont be the same without Mark but we will do him proud, the new songs are sounding pretty killer! Stay tuned!

Does anyone know more about this?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 pm 

I'm not as much as a Riot listener as I'd like to be but I can't help but call shenanigans. Here's hoping the new music would be good at least.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 pm 

I'd be okay with them going the Black Star Riders route and releasing material under a new name. To persist in calling it Riot without Reale would not be in good taste, even allowing for these guys having been long term members. I do wonder who they'll have on vocals. Perhaps DiMeo can be lured back?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 pm 

As long as the songs are killer I won't complain.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 pm 

I recall this post from back in 2012. Riot was Reale and maybe going a different name would work better. I'm not 100% sold on the continuation, even if Reale knew he'd die soon and felt confident in letting the remaining members keep the name.
LegendMaker wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
I think Riot should just stop. The band was Reale's. He was the one that kept it alive because it was essentially him in spirit for the entire thing.

Exactly. I don't get the apparent consensus on the opposing idea seen on this thread, to be honest. Let that band rest in peace.

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
It's a complex issue with Riot. Ordinarily, with the sole founder member dying I'd say "Sure, lay the band to rest". But the fact is the Thundersteel line-up was pretty much a new band, anyway, (with an old band's name and that one founder member). DVS, the bassist, apparently wrote the lion's share of the music for those albums. And with Immortal Soul, Mark Reale apparently didn't play anything when it came to the actual recordings (which was due to illness, of course). I was surprised at learning this because Mike Flyntz really does sound like Mark on some of the solos... and again, the remaining band members wrote most of the material. So, the fact that they want to carry on the Thundersteel era of the band is fine by me; especially when they've released an excellent album which was largely without Mark's input, and yet very much in-keeping with the Riot style. Hell, if they want to keep on writing more tracks like 'Whiskey Man' and putting almost every other metal reunion to shame that's fine by me. :)

Besides, it seems as if the band definitely had Mark's blessing to carry on. This certainly isn't a new "Thin Lizzy" cash-in job... it's not like they're gonna go out there and play Fire Down Under in its entirety.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:41 am 

I'm also very surprised that Immortal Soul contained *no* Mark Reale playing. I thought he still pounded out some of the material when he was able.

Given that fact, I think it's still possible for Riot to produce something Riot-sounding without him.

Why lure back DiMeo? Isn't Tony still available?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:57 am 

ENKC wrote:
I do wonder who they'll have on vocals. Perhaps DiMeo can be lured back?

What?
If they start changing members and, say, Flyntz would be the only constant, then it wouldn't work. But the Thundersteel line up would be congruent with the name Riot. Imo.
And it would make me very, very happy, as those albums are some of my all time favourites, and IS showed no lack in creativity.
I too was surprised that Flyntz did (almost) all guitarplaying on IS, stellar job!

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:23 pm 

Hmmmm, unless this is just releasing post-humous Reale material I can't see this being in good taste.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
Hmmmm, unless this is just releasing post-humous Reale material I can't see this being in good taste.

Look at it as a business; Reale has left the company to his co-workers.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 pm 

"Reale's death resulted in the retirement of the Riot name at the request of his father."

Just read that on Wikipedia and now I'm confused as to what is actually going on with them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:03 pm 

That can't be true, I have them on FB, the official page, and all I ever see is news about how they are writing a new album.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
"Reale's death resulted in the retirement of the Riot name at the request of his father."
Just read that on Wikipedia and now I'm confused as to what is actually going on with them.

It's gone now.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 pm 

Opus wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

It's gone now.

Seems a little fishy to me. Perhaps they worked it out with him, or it could have been misinformation.

Anyway, Immortal Soul was an amazing return to form and I hope they can continue to be worthwhile without Mark at the helm.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 pm 

Opus wrote:
ENKC wrote:
I do wonder who they'll have on vocals. Perhaps DiMeo can be lured back?

What?
If they start changing members and, say, Flyntz would be the only constant, then it wouldn't work. But the Thundersteel line up would be congruent with the name Riot. Imo.
And it would make me very, very happy, as those albums are some of my all time favourites, and IS showed no lack in creativity.
I too was surprised that Flyntz did (almost) all guitarplaying on IS, stellar job!

The archives page says Moore is out of the band, so who's the next logical choice for vocals? It ain't Rhett Forrester.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 pm 

Bring Conklin back :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEE8kgzh0xE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ertkglFsh2Y

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Bring Conklin back :-D

All of my yes. All of it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 am 

ENKC wrote:
The archives page says Moore is out of the band, so who's the next logical choice for vocals? It ain't Rhett Forrester.

I assume Tony Moore is still in the band, since it's nothing on their FB page about him leaving.

Reply to topic