Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 pm 

What bands would you like to see play a show together and why? It's just been something that was on my mind recently that I thought could make a great discussion.

Also, try to be a little creative with this. If you post 3 brutal death metal bands that sound the same it won't be as interesting and probably could have happened already.

For me I have a few ideas of shows that would go over pretty well I think:

Opeth
Ihsahn
Enslaved
Borknagar (maybe)

I think that would be a great show, and I think all 4 bands would appeal to the crowd considering they all have an extreme but proggy and creative sound. Also, at the same time they are all different sounding bands. The only problem with this though is that all of the bands are in my opinion bands that should headline a show, and giving them a mere 30 minutes just doesn't do them justice (hence why Borknagar was a maybe - more bands=shorter set times). In any case though it would still rule.

Neurosis
Agalloch

This would probably be a co-headliner, or Neurosis would headline with Agalloch opening - because Neurosis simply aren't an opening band anymore with their legacy, influence and place within the metal community. It would be a weird contrast of sounds for sure, but both bands have a very broad and expansive sound which I think could appeal to each other's fanbase. (or in the very least Agalloch would appeal to Neurosis fans. Most of the Neurosis fans I've met are pretty open minded people) Maybe that's just my opinion...

Opeth
Agalloch

It's another combination that I think would go over pretty well. Both bands have an interesting folk element to their sound and just in general I think Opeth fans would probably be able to get into Agalloch too. I'm not implying that they sound like each other (there are influences between them for sure, but they are still different bands), but I think they would be received pretty well by the crowd.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:39 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Also, try to be a little creative with this. If you post 3 brutal death metal bands that sound the same it won't be as interesting and probably could have happened already.

Oh, please. Not like yours is much better, every single one of your three combinations includes either Agalloch or Opeth. :roll:

I think it'd be funny to make a tour out of horribly contrasting bands. Cephalotripsy open and slam the living fuck out of everything, followed by Alcest who get everything chilled and calm for a while. Vektor are next, and they blow the venue sky-high again, then quickly scuttle off stage and give way to Sunn O))), who play an hour-long rendition of the riff from "Báthory Erzsébet" as a final, awkward, overly-drawn-out denouement to the night's set. It would go down in history, as a tour for the ages.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 pm 

Something which may have already happened in the past, I don't know, but if it hasn't then it should at some point:
Anathema
Paradise Lost
My Dying Bride

Well, I don't think this requires much explanation, and it would be an incredibly fun combination, with the doom linking them together, but with each of the three going in completely different directions later.

I could think of several more, but this is the most obvious one for me.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 pm 

Dismember reunion tour with Mammoth Grinder and New Lows as support.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:54 pm 

Those events look so fuckin awesome, especially Neurosis/Agalloch
I would love to see a sludge metal festival

Mastodon
Baroness
High on Fire
Kylesa
Torche

Mastodon would be the headliner and Baroness the second band, there are plenty of bands in Georgia
to make a big event like this so I guess it would be mindblowing.

Trying to be a little more creative and without going on specific genres, even if all the bands are sort of depressing
except Vintersorg, that IMO would fit damn fine.

Opeth
Alcest
Katatonia
Woods of Ypres (if David was alive)
Vintersorg

For only "modern" bands I'd like to see a weird combination of symphonic black metal, progressive groove death metal, progresive death/grindcore, progressive black/death metal

Xanthochroid
Ne Obliviscaris
Lykathea Aflame
Gojira
Cormorant

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 pm 

There are plenty of dream gigs I can think of, for example:

'Hellenic fest'

Rotting Christ
Varathron
Necromantia
Kawir
Deviser.

All of them are incredible and it would be just awesome to see them live all doing their stuff.

Samael (special setlist playing Worship Him on its entirety as well as a selection of the rest of their discography)
Celtic Frost/Triptykon

Easy duo of crushing black/death/doom stuff.

US Death Metal (a whole day to give each band at least 1 hour of setlist)

Morbid Angel
Immolation
Incantation (with Pillard as guest vocalist)
Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Suffocation
Obituary

Maybe some might disagree with this, but I think this would be fucking legendary. If Chuck were to be alive, I would add Death as well.

Ulver
Dead Can Dance

Pure atmosphere and surreal stuff going on.

(Dark folk metal)

Empyrium
Agalloch
October Falls
Primordial

This would be probably the most epic shit ever if there's a chance to make it. If we're talking of epic shit and keep dreaming:

Falkenbach
Summoning

This duo would really work. Both bands rely on epic atmospheres mixing with with some black/folk stuff.

(Symphonic BM)

Emperor
Arcturus (playing Aspera in its entirety)
Limbonic Art
Dimmu Borgir

I guess this selection will please plenty of black metal fans!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

Oh, please. Not like yours is much better, every single one of your three combinations includes either Agalloch or Opeth. :roll:

I guess I sort of walked into that one. Still though, I don't think it would be surprising to see someone post "Suffocation Cattle Decapitation Decrepit Birth" which would still be a cool show, but it's more interesting to see weird contrasts or combinations that you didn't think of that would rule - I personally am kinda wishing for the Opeth-Ihsahn-Enslaved-Borknagar to happen a little.

Last edited by FLIPPITYFLOOP on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
Those events look so fuckin awesome, especially Neurosis/Agalloch
I would love to see a sludge metal festival

Mastodon
Baroness
High on Fire
Kylesa
Torche

Mastodon would be the headliner and Baroness the second band, there are plenty of bands in Georgia
to make a big event like this so I guess it would be mindblowing.

OH MY GOD YES. That would rule. Maybe throw YOB in there too ahahha make it a festival.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:33 pm 

Since i have a strong fascination for the alien contact/ abduction phenomenon, that would be a tour theme to grab my attention!

Metal for Martians Tour, featuring:
- Hypocrisy
-Voivod
-Agent Steel

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 pm 

Also, a good black/thrash tour:

Destroyer 666
Aura Noir
Absu

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:03 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:

I think it'd be funny to make a tour out of horribly contrasting bands. Cephalotripsy open and slam the living fuck out of everything, followed by Alcest who get everything chilled and calm for a while. Vektor are next, and they blow the venue sky-high again, then quickly scuttle off stage and give way to Sunn O))), who play an hour-long rendition of the riff from "Báthory Erzsébet" as a final, awkward, overly-drawn-out denouement to the night's set. It would go down in history, as a tour for the ages.

All that comes to mind when reading that is wondering how much of a mindfuck that would cause if you were sober, let alone if you were high and/or drunk before the concert started.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:36 am 

Sleep playing Jerusalem in it's entirety and Boris.

:drool:

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 am 

Darkthrone with Dave Grohl on drums

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:56 am 

Negura Bunget
Agalloch
Wolves in the throne Room
Fen

And I could die with an eternal smile in my face. :D

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 am 

Manilla Road
Arch era Fates Warning
Brocas Helm
Slough Feg

Just a epic tour of pure metal at its finest.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:36 am 

Immolation with Drawn And Quartered as an opener. Would be brilliant. Or Anata warmed up by Intestine Baalism.

One of the impossible shows I'd want to see is Edge of Sanity playing Crimson live.

Hani
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm 

My Dying Bride
Tiamat
Mourning Beloveth
Church of Misery
While Heaven Wept

King Diamond
Grand Magus
Wolf
In Solitude
Hour of 13

Please come over to the US, guys, please.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:33 pm 

Well, i might be seeing Rottrevore and Derketa in July and it got me thinking of an OSDM super show and how awesome it would be to have some of the old bands back together too, sort of like a present day Day of Death just with some different bands(was 2 years before my time :( ). my lineup would be:

Rottrevore
Derketa
Mangled Torsos
Desultory
Infester
Morta Skuld
Gutted
Baphomet
and maybe Abhorrence to open. yeah....this would make my life complete

VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

If we're talking about dream tours... seeing as how Pantera had toured with bands like Slayer, Morbid Angel, and Satyricon (You won't see Metallica bring out a death or black metal band,) I'd have loved to see a lineup like this:

Pantera
Slayer
Bloodbath
Emperor
Triptykon

It speaks for itself.

Now for lineups that are actually possible:

Tool
Neurosis
Katatonia

Swans
Sunn O)))
Boris

Black Sabbath
Mastodon
Down
Sleep

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:26 pm 

VincentVanGone wrote:
Tool
Neurosis
Katatonia

Black Sabbath
Mastodon
Down
Sleep

That first one would be amazing but only if all 3 bands played headlining sets I think, same with the second one

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:39 pm 

I'd die to see Reverend Bizarre do a reunion tour with Electric Wizard as co-headliner. No opening acts.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:21 pm 

A Swedish melodic death tour would be nice with 90's material only :)

At The Gates
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Soilwork

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm 

I think a festival which either sped up or slowed down as the day went on would be cool (with decent bands at all paces obviously). Something along these lines (obviously some of these are impossible):

Sunn O)))
Wormphlegm
Esoteric
Electric Wizard
Pentagram
Witchfinder General
Judas Priest
Satan
Dr Mastermind
Vio-Lence
DRI
Siege
Napalm Death
xBrainiax

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm 

Manilla Road and Liege Lord - it happened in 1987, it should happen again!

Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction at MDF 2014 - would be a hell of a trifecta for an extreme thrash day, and Kreator seems to be one of the bands who hasn't played yet but is both extreme enough and popular enough to headline a day of the festival.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 pm 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
I think a festival which either sped up or slowed down as the day went on would be cool (with decent bands at all paces obviously). Something along these lines (obviously some of these are impossible):

Sunn O)))
Wormphlegm
Esoteric
Electric Wizard
Pentagram
Witchfinder General
Judas Priest
Satan
Dr Mastermind
Vio-Lence
DRI
Siege
Napalm Death
xBrainiax

Zodijackyl wrote:
Manilla Road and Liege Lord - it happened in 1987, it should happen again!

Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction at MDF 2014 - would be a hell of a trifecta for an extreme thrash day, and Kreator seems to be one of the bands who hasn't played yet but is both extreme enough and popular enough to headline a day of the festival.

Both of those sound pretty rad, and I agree about Kreator. I'm surprised they haven't played yet

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 pm 

Watain
Marduk
Gorgoroth
Weapon
Dissection (impossible)
Necrophobic

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:10 pm 

Aura Noir/Nifelheim/Sabbat. Both bands rule hard and still exist. It still bothers me that CM Eide broke the fuck out of his legs, because he was a goddamn beast on drums. As for Sabbat, they are one of my favorite bands, and I wish I could have seen them with Temis, but they still rule.

Portal/Mitochondrion/Antediluvian. By geographic association of the latter two it would be sweet if Revenge showed up too.

I would also LOVE to see Profanatica live. Demoncy would probably be the most fitting to share the stage. No idea if they ever did or ever will play live.

Last edited by Flugeldufel on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
Darkthrone with Dave Grohl on drums

:lol:

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:27 pm 

Me and my girlfriend were talking about power metal groups that never, or rarely, seem to tour the US. I was thinking a killer power metal lineup of:

Helloween
Gamma Ray
Grave Digger
Tarot

Then of course a co-headline between Maiden & Priest would be end-all greatness.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:59 am 

I'd love to see Timeghoul come back from the dead and Demilich to reunite once more to play big tour with Gorguts!

EOS666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:26 am 

Dan Swano playing a 3 hour set of all of his projects with the setlist of my choosing.
In Thy Dreams
Be'lakor opens

For unlikely tours above or I could do a possible one (but would never happen)

In Flames- Pre 2000
At The Gates
Dark Tranquillity

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 pm 

Amorphis
Finntroll
Kalmah

Bring that one one!!!!!!!

Foralltime
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:50 pm 

I would love to see:
Enslaved
Satyricon
Taake (first I tought Gorgoroth, but Gorgoroth live isn't the same now when almost nobady from the band plays live)

or

Nokturnal mortum
Arkona (from Poland)
Dimmu Borgir

or

Mayhem
Behemoth

There are so much possibilities, but I don't want to flood the thread with them.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:37 am 

I just want The Gathering to come to the UK.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:41 am 

Impossible but I'd love to see this:

The Apocalypse Tour (over 2 days):

Bathory (Twilight of The Gods in full as the headliner)
Mercyful Fate
Falkenbach
Satan (Court In The Act in full)

Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales, the 12 track 1999 reissue track listing)
Paradise Lost (Draconian Times in full)
Cirith Ungol (One off reunion tour)
Dismember (Like an Ever Flowing Stream in full to open the tour)

That would blow my mind completely.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77253 - some 2-years-old thread about the same :)

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:53 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77253 - some 2-years-old thread about the same :)

Oh... well I guess this is a bit different considering the one you posted is festivals and this one is tours, it would be a different number of bands per post...if that matters. Well people can keep posting here, and if this gets locked for being the same thing as before then it gets locked.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:01 pm 

Tool
Averse Sefira
Behemoth
Candlemass
Satyricon
Suffocation

Obviously an impossible line up, but it feels balanced enough. I would dig it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 pm 

This thread has devolved from having some decent explanations to simply stupid lists with nothing worth discussing nor attempts at discussing. Please avoid post-your-favorite type threads/posts without any sort of explanation. This one was lame anyway.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.