Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:05 am 

With the emergence of blogging, social media, and the decline of the printed magazines such as Revolver, Terrorizer, Metal hammer and their continued coverage of expressively mainstream bands as opposed to the underground that they once covered and gave exposure to as magazines. Have the big-name Metal media magazines outlived their usefulness with their covers featuring Bullet for my Valentine, Marilyn Manson, and other non metal acts? We all understand that these publications first motive is the profit motive, but seeing how the printing press is on the decline and increasingly these bands are going for the digital format- are they no longer of any use to the underground? How much of metal culture, regional scenes, and bands that are up and coming have these magazines done in recent years that is noteworthy? Do you see any potential use for these bands in an increasingly digital world?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:12 am 

The reason a magazine like Metal Hammer survives is that it exists as two separate products - there is a website, and then there is the magazine, the latter of which is also available in a digital form (with other content exclusive to each to my understanding). Whilst the physical form may eventually die out, there will always be a need for quality design and writing, and for that reason I think that monetized, digital journalism of a corporate format is likely to survive.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

lord_ghengis
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 am 

Pretty much. They basically have to write up about the mainstream bands to cover costs, and as such there is no real market for a major metal magazine focussing on small bands. Hell even if there was it'd still be left completely in the dust by the millions of online versions of the same product.

Evil_Obsidian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 am 

I've recently subscribed to Zero Tolerance magazine. I'll actually read that, whereas I wouldn't use the net to read about new bands. With websites, I can't imagine many people will look up news, interviews and reviews of bands they are unfamiliar with, so I feel a decent physical magazine has its place. Shit magazines like the ones mentioned in the OP however, don't.

Megadeth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
They basically have to write up about the mainstream bands to cover costs, and as such there is no real market for a major metal magazine focussing on small bands.

I disagree. This is what they had to do. Now a niche magazine like that could target audience throughout the world over the Internet. Give it a fair price, market it on metal forums and blogs, and let people subscribe. I don't see how that shouldn't be possible. There's a ton of people who are interested in discovering new bands, as this site is a sign of.

There might still be problems though, as it sounds like a magazine that might have more to do with an elitist image, rather than actual broadened reporting focusing on the less commercially successful bands. If readers never finds anything they can relate to (bands they know), or if they get the impression that the authors are more focused on being "better" than the general reader, then they might lose interest. So if you systematically avoid bands that you think your readers have heard of you might fail, but then it's not because you want a niche magazine. No one cares about a magazine filled with interviews with some unknown one-man black metal artist from Russia or a high school doom metal band from Chile releasing their second demo, unless you're one of the best writers in journalism.

Last edited by Megadeth on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 am 

Last time I even saw a metal magazine was at Borders, which closed down a year or so ago, though I hadnt been there way before that. From what I had read, it wasnt anything that I couldnt read online.

Unded Infidel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 am 

hopefully not, I always liked waiting for a magazine subscription to arrive in the mail, I know its only a magazine but I think theres some sort of novelty to them. However, the internet provides news at the click of a button and I've found more useful bands and news through the internet, mainly cuz a lot of the metal magazines arent that great today.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 am 

Metal magazines seem to be still going strong here in Germany, with an built in readership and all. There's also one I get every month and I would definitely miss it if it wasn't there anymore. Sure, there's enough content online, but it's nice to have reviews, news and interviews bundled in one package...

Also I wouldn't want to sit on the toilette with a laptop... :P

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 am 

Whoops, double post...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 am 

I still think they're useful and find some of them enjoyable to read. I sometimes discover new and awesome bands through Zero Tolerance. Shit, even through Decibel. That magazine covers some reasonably large bands, but then they also cover underground stuff. They strike a fine balance.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 am 

Well, if you are a marketing firm or advertising agency they're useful...like all other magazines: they are simply vessels for advertisements.

Jackoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 am 

I don't buy magazines (have bought a couple in the past though) but if they didn't come with CD samplers, I probably wouldn't but I notice a few now come with blu ray sampler disc with music videos so that'd be pretty cool to have.

TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 am 

I think you could you the same argument people use with digital music versus hardcopy versions. A lot of people actually enjoying having the magazine to sit around and read. Also, like Peroy said, it's easier to read in certain situations.

Napero wrote:
Say hello to Baby Jesus for me when you don't meet him after you die.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am 

In answer to the o.p., I don't think it has to do with the musical choice and what they put on the cover. In the 1980s they would probably have also put whatever was popular on the cover, glam and other cheesy stuff (I find the Ozzy solo stuff cheesy, other people may not), but there are magazines which are more mainstream anyways.

But what I want to say is that there is much less of a point to reading about music now that you can simply listen to it online. Of course there are interviews and such, but those are now more for hardcore fans. I guess before the internet it was even interesting to read interviews with bands you were not really familiar with in order to pique your interest. It could lead to disappointment once you actually heard the band, but you would also be more likely to want to check out a band which had something interesting to say.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 am 

I think magazines have something special about them, to be honest, for me sitting on the computer and looking at metal news isn't the same thing. There's always something cool about reading articles of your favorite bands in nice, glossy paper and looking at the colorful images. Heck, magazines sometimes tend to hype me more about upcoming bands than in a lot of other places in the net...

I currently subscribe to Decibel, it's a great mag as it focuses on small time extreme bands while also covering bigger ones like Slayer and Iron Maiden. I remember picking up Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles when I was 13, showing me a whole lot of bands I didn't know even existed. It's also a shame Metal Maniacs closed down, because they covered a lot of the more underground bands.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 pm 

No!!! Iron Fist and Zero Tolerance are true metal magazines with excellent writing that I find to be very valuable. They are available at Barnes & Noble. Also, I always learn something new whenever I reread my old copies of Slayer, Oaken Throne, and Metal Forces.

Reply to topic