Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Musico Nova
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:28 pm 

Lets enumerate here, please share the reason also, after all why the fest is exclusive to you.

I think we all like metals, lets give it few re-thought too...

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:53 pm 

I guess Maryland Deathfest, seeing as that's the only metal festival I've actually been to. But it's awesome America gets something as great as this. The guys running it manage to block off an entire street for the 2 outdoor stages, as well as have bands play inside the Sonar venue. Plus they manage to get all these awesome bands that would never come to the U.S. otherwise (Tsjuder, Coroner, fucking Vinterland!!!!)

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm 

Lots of great metal festivals in Europe. Keep it True, Musclerock. Never been to them but they seem awesome.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

sonofevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 am 

I will go with the Headbangers Open Air in Northern Germany, why?

Its pretty close to me 100Km, the ticket price is also good when you compare that to Festivals like Wacken / WFF / Summerbreeze...
Also the atmosphere is great becouse its not as big as other Festivals more like a Garden Party where you know each other and it has
also a lot of International quests who come there the last years i met people from all around the world like Canada, Spain or the UK..
This year with Metal Church, Overkill and also Sacred Steel...

Link:
http://www.headbangers-open-air.de/

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 am 

Bloodstock is pretty much down the road from me close to Derby, although oddly enough I haven't been since the 'download' fans and local townies started discovering the place and trashing it up during the 3-day weekend.

Its a pretty expensive luxury though. These days i'd rather stay home and have a mini rave in the back garden than be subjected to kit-searches, tent and clothing being trashed, along with having to contend against 90,000 others all waving flags and drunk out their heads.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 am 

I haven't explored much, as I wouldn't go to a festival very far away anyway, but I'm very fond of the Inferno Metal Festival here in Norway, focusing on extreme metal (this year's line-up). I haven't been there in a few years though, as I'm not currently living in or near Oslo.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 am 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
I guess Maryland Deathfest, seeing as that's the only metal festival I've actually been to. But it's awesome America gets something as great as this. The guys running it manage to block off an entire street for the 2 outdoor stages, as well as have bands play inside the Sonar venue. Plus they manage to get all these awesome bands that would never come to the U.S. otherwise (Tsjuder, Coroner, fucking Vinterland!!!!)

Yes! Probably the best the US will ever get. Otherwise, I dream of attending Wacken at least once in my life! ;-)

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 am 

Suprised no one yet has mentioned 70000 tons of metal or whatever the name of that metal cruise is! That counts as an exclusive heavy metal festival, right?

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am 

I need to make my way to Europe someday for all those badass black metal festivals... or at least got to Maryland or Montreal as they are having some good black metal bands lately... Baptism, Sargeist, Horna in Montreal in November, don't think I can pass that up.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:22 pm 

sonofevil wrote:
I will go with the Headbangers Open Air in Northern Germany, why?

Its pretty close to me 100Km, the ticket price is also good when you compare that to Festivals like Wacken / WFF / Summerbreeze...
Also the atmosphere is great becouse its not as big as other Festivals more like a Garden Party where you know each other and it has
also a lot of International quests who come there the last years i met people from all around the world like Canada, Spain or the UK..
This year with Metal Church, Overkill and also Sacred Steel...

Link:
http://www.headbangers-open-air.de/

agreed! i went to HOA last year and had a great time. that being said, it's a very niche market - last year i'd only heard of about half the bands playing, and it's more about older bands on nostalgia tours than up-and-comers. but not needing an extra hour to walk to the stage area? bliss!

i do think the bigger festivals though (wacken, easy example) should be experienced once if you want to do the "traditional" festival thing. i've been to wacken a bunch of times now, and it's less of a concert and more of a 4-day party with a (sometimes) decent soundtrack. it's expensive, cheesy and kinda cringingly durrrr-metal at times, but if you're in the right mindset it's pretty fun to be boozing and rocking out with 100,000 other dickheads in 35 degree heat.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:33 pm 

Party.San Open Air is hands down the best German extreme metal festival. Always has the best bands and the tickets are a bargain with no idiotic price variations.

Fuck Wacken. Oversized, overcrowded, overpriced and always eager to cater to the lowest common denominator.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

AmIEvil YesIAm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:06 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Suprised no one yet has mentioned 70000 tons of metal or whatever the name of that metal cruise is! That counts as an exclusive heavy metal festival, right?

I've been wanting to go on that trip for years, seems like a headbangers' dream vacation... just don't have the funds. H
as anyone been on it? Is it as awesome as it looks??

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 pm 

I would kill someone to get to the Keep It True festival. Some false metalhead or whatever.

phantaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 am 

http://www.swr-inc.net/swr/

Which will be streaming the majority for the performances :D

Portugal Extreme Heavy Metal Fest been going on for 16 years :D

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 am 

From an American standpoint, many European festivals look interesting to me, but in particular:
Keep It True (Deu)
Headbangers Open Air (Deu)
Muskelrock (Swe)
Brofest (UK)
Nuclear War Now Fest(Deu)
Up The Hammers (Gre)

Thus far I have only traveled for Keep It True, which was an AWESOME experience. Next year I'm thinking of saving up for Brofest since I heard the first one kicked ass, total old school NWOBHM fest. As far as US fests, I've done MDF a few times, always a great and well organized fest. I went to the disaster known as Rites of Darkness (Rites of Cancellation) 3 which was fun despite being a gargantuan disappointment, bordering on complete ripoff. I also sponsored and attended Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse in Chicago last year which was pretty damn cool for a US festival. It's too bad I don't have the money for it this year, but I am attending MDF again.

All in all it really depends on the lineup for me. I've heard things like "Go to KIT for the bands, go to HOA for the party" but really the most important part for me is the bands. KIT has been my top festival so far, followed by MDF. Every time is a great time with a big party where I meet a lot of new people, so first and foremost I go for a stellar lineup and KIT really does deliver in that department most years

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm 

Hell's Pleasure Fest, Kill-town deathfest and Roadburn (Europe)

Deathkult open air also mostly has a good line-up

sonofevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:28 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Party.San Open Air is hands down the best German extreme metal festival. Always has the best bands and the tickets are a bargain with no idiotic price variations.

Fuck Wacken. Oversized, overcrowded, overpriced and always eager to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Yeah you are right Party.San was great in 2010 and 2011 hope i make it this year again...

Reply to topic