Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:34 pm 

MushroomStamp wrote:
Sick of Maiden and Priest? Try Aria. There's so much songwriting talent in the band that when their vocalist left in 2002 and took half the band with him, neither side's writing took a dent. Both have kept producing solid music.

Here's a concert video with most of their relevant 'hits'... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtPPuvPCWw

Aria kicks major ass. Good call. Igra s Ognyom was the best traditional metal album in the five years before it.

But as for the actual topic, Amon Amarth is milking a dead cow. I just don't give a piss when an album of theirs comes out, not after Twilight of the Thunder God failed to lick With Oden on Our Side's shoes.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm 

Considering everything has already been said about most bands (and I dont care to continue discussing the boredom that The Final Frontier instills in me), I'ma throw my favorite band in the ring. Gargoyle, while not writing bad songs, are repeating themselves a lot these days. Its depressing that the longer "atmospheric" track on their latest album has the exact same structure and tricks as the long atmospheric track on their 2009 album, even if it has different riffs and a perfectly fine solo. Essentially, while they're still writing plenty of good riffs and enjoyable songs, they're starting to write too much of the same stuff, as well as incorporating a little too much rock influence. The songs are not bad, but would be leagues better if they were either longer or had more riffs. The second to last track on the latest is a prime example of this, just because it has an incredible first section and a good pre-chorus and chorus, but the change in mood feels incredibly sudden and the massive adventurous groove that it opens with is cut off so suddenly... Needs a proper bridge.

I think this might actually be the problem with a lot bands, really. If bands would just put all their energy into making sure every riff was memorable and solid rather than just keeping rhythm or acting as supplementary fluff, we'd probably have better albums if not groundbreaking ones. Is that not why we're listening to heavy metal? If you can't deliver atmosphere at least give me good riffs. Dont wanna hear chords.
Hehe, foreskins.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3