Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 pm 

What albums on MA are you surprised at when it comes to it's overall rating? For example, Panzer Divison Marduk is rated 66% here for some fucking reason. It isn't a bad album so I don't see why it gets a D+ honestly. There's also Icons of Evil by Vital Remains, which has a 59%. I don't understand lol

What are yours?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:36 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
It isn't a bad album so I don't see why it gets a D+ honestly.

Would it make you feel better if it was three stars? 66% is more than that, actually; three and one quarter stars out of five. I'm not familiar with that letter-based grading system, but D+ sounds a little low for something that's well above the watershed between positive and negative.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:
It isn't a bad album so I don't see why it gets a D+ honestly.

Would it make you feel better if it was three stars? 66% is more than that, actually; three and one quarter stars out of five. I'm not familiar with that letter-based grading system, but D+ sounds a little low for something that's well above the watershed between positive and negative.

either way I'm still surprised at how low it is

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:48 pm 

There's a whole lot of albums with average rating above 90 %. I find many of them more questionable than the ones with 50-70 % average score.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:51 pm 

I'm very surprised at how many people eat up and hype Benighted. Everything I've heard from them is trendy, modern core-stained death metal with every little worthwhile bit drowned by masses of insufferable tripe. Mine is the only negative review for the entire band out of 19 reviews in total.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 pm 

Many old-school death metal albums get relatively high ratings. They albums are usually not bad (I like osdm a lot), but often they get rated a bit too nice imo.
But overall I'm surprised how well the ratings here match my own opinion.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 pm 

Considering all the love that Wintersun gets, I'm surprised that it only has an 82% here when on every other metal website gives it like, a 9/10 or something.

Amrator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:40 pm 

Cloud0129 wrote:
Considering all the love that Wintersun gets, I'm surprised that it only has an 82% here when on every other metal website gives it like, a 9/10 or something.

Actually I think 82% is too high for that album.

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:53 pm 

I was surprised at how low Bloodbath's first full-length album Resurrection Through Carnage was rated. Out of 8 reviews the average score was 69%. I love everything about this album; that nasty guitar tone, Mikael Akerfeldt's growls(EQed to sound very breathy), the lyrics, and some very memorable choruses. It has that old school sound; that's what they were going for. I enjoy all of Bloodbath's albums but I feel this one has a certain charm the others don't have.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm 

Most of Opeth's discography being under 85% with Still Life being the only exception. The most baffling ones to me are Blackwater Park at 77% and Ghost Reveries at 78%.

Also, as has been documented in other threads, Beyond Creation's record being at a 99% is mindblowing to me as that album is absolutely nothing special at all.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:26 pm 

I'm not relly surprised by anything. I get the general gist of which albums are well liked and which ones aren't, and the average scores seem to reflect this. Extreme positives and negatives seem to cancel eaxh other out.

What surprises me since 2004 is the fact, that the large majority hates "Soundtrack to your Escape", but I'm not surprised that the average score therefore is low.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm 

Not much suriprises me, a favourite.album being 15 to 20% too low is hardly shocking, and ones I hate being too high are completely understandable due to most people having awful taste haha, so I'm never really surprised by what's there.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 pm 

Well, I've taken the time to listen to a lot of albums on the 'What song are you listening to on' topic, and for me, a lot of obscure black metal bands that sound similar to each other almost always have an above 90% rating. But it's obvious, right? A lot of them just have 1 or 2 reviews, it would be cool if more people would review them so it would be more balanced. Then again, I can't talk since I haven't done any reviews yet... :roll:

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 pm 

The first thing that comes to my mind - Queensryche, American Soldier having a lower rating than Dedicated to Chaos. American Soldier is flawed and more poppy than it should be, but it's at least listenable and has some pretty good songs. Dedicated to Chaos is "what the fuck is this, my brain hurts".

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 pm 

So, this is a new underrated/ overrated thread?

It baffles me that Ghost's debut has such a positive rating. It's hard to believe how many metalheads embraced such a weak and wimpy band that fast and well. Maybe it's the whole aesthetic, the music it's too bland and the vocals are too lame.

I don't get why Einherjer's Odin Owns ye All is rated so low. Its a pretty solid album with great songs on it, well produced and consistent. Its way better than joke bands like Korpiklaani or Finntroll, which are way better rated here.

chan5586
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:07 pm 

dragmire wrote:
I was surprised at how low Bloodbath's first full-length album Resurrection Through Carnage was rated. Out of 8 reviews the average score was 69%. I love everything about this album; that nasty guitar tone, Mikael Akerfeldt's growls(EQed to sound very breathy), the lyrics, and some very memorable choruses. It has that old school sound; that's what they were going for. I enjoy all of Bloodbath's albums but I feel this one has a certain charm the others don't have.

I love that album. Agree wholeheartedly that it should probably be rated higher.

Subrick wrote:
Most of Opeth's discography being under 85% with Still Life being the only exception. The most baffling ones to me are Blackwater Park at 77% and Ghost Reveries at 78%.

Also agreed. I know I'm coming off as an Akerfeldt fanboy, but I sincerely enjoy his DM growls, and most of his songwriting in Opeth. I understand it's a matter of opinion, but would argue that most of Opeth's mid career works are classics.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
What albums on MA are you surprised at when it comes to it's overall rating? For example, Panzer Divison Marduk is rated 66% here for some fucking reason. It isn't a bad album so I don't see why it gets a D+ honestly.

I'm surprised that particular exercise in blasturbation and minimal substance is rated so high to be honest. Give me just about any other Marduk release over that pile of crap.

I'm also surprised by the generally positive ratings Fear Factory's Obsolete has received. For a site that frowns on nu-metal, that album is brimming with nu-metal crap. A few of their earlier efforts were at least a bit more redeemable, and I do give them credit for being a much smarter band than their peers, but really, the band who wrote such travesties as Edgecrusher and Descent doesn't deserve more than a %40-50

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
So, this is a new underrated/ overrated thread?

It baffles me that Ghost's debut has such a positive rating. It's hard to believe how many metalheads embraced such a weak and wimpy band that fast and well. Maybe it's the whole aesthetic, the music it's too bland and the vocals are too lame.

It's got such a positive rating because so many people embraced them - whether the band/album is good or not doesn't change the fact that if a lot of metalheads (especially on this site) like them, there will be more good reviews.

I'm a little surprised at Number of the Beast's rating - 83% - which makes it the joint (with the début) lowest scoring album until No Prayer for the Dying comes around. And even then, Brave New World has the same score of 83%. I would have thought that NotB would have a higher rating, possibly even reaching the 90s.

Another that surprises me is Alestorm - Back Through Time. Despite being a pretty poor offering all round compared to the other albums (musicianship isn't as good, songwriting isn't nearly as interesting, production's pretty dull), it's got the second highest rating of their albums. People seemed to hate Alestorm enough after the first two, so it's quite interesting to note that the rating has actually improved from the second album, despite a much worse product. Maybe people just got bored of writing negative reviews...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 pm 

There's a few for me, notably the new Blut Aus Nord album Cosmosophy. I'm surprised it's rated so low. Also, Agalloch's stuff only being in mainly the 80s surprises me, I'd think 90s for sure. Same with Mastodon's discography and Enthroned's Pentagrammaton.

I'm sure there's more but it'll take me time to figure it all out.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/No ... bs_reviews

This is silly.

Pretty much a mandatory album for anybody into the deathrash genre. Some guy has a sad and gives it 2% therefore brings the average right down.

2%?! Nickleback doing an album of Lady Gaga covers would rate higher than that!

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:58 pm 

I am surprise that maiden's last 3 albums are in the low 70's, I think 80's would be more understanding, and metallica's master of puppets is only 79??!!!?!!! Sure they suck now, but I would think master of puppets would be in the 90's the way most metalheads i know talk about the album, and also alittle shock how low some of the 80's scorpions stuff is.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 pm 

Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness. A mediocre retro band whose single album has a higher score than the Dismember and Kreator albums that inspired it.

Usually, when a trendy album comes out, it receives exaggerated praise for a few years, but then people come to their senses and bring the album down a notch. Not the case with this album, despite the fact that it has nothing going for it other than retread riffs and "teh evil atmosfear". I'm planning on trashing this disc when I get the time.

Master of puppets probably deserves an 85% but you can never underestemate the internet metal community's iconoclasm.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness. A mediocre retro band whose single album has a higher score than the Dismember and Kreator albums

This is more or less the case for all of the rehashed OSDM retro garbage that gets worshiped in the reviews.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 pm 

w0Lf wrote:
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness. A mediocre retro band whose single album has a higher score than the Dismember and Kreator albums that inspired it.

It's a good album, but nobody is going to say it's better than Like An Ever Flowing Stream or Pleasure To Kill though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:33 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
w0Lf wrote:

It's a good album, but nobody is going to say it's better than Like An Ever Flowing Stream or Pleasure To Kill though.

I remember hearing that Repugnant album after seeing all the positive reviews for it. Probably would have got a 70% tops from me. Just sounded like run of the mill death metal with a few cool riffs. Actually, it reminded me of Possessed's debut, which is another album I wouldn't rate very high.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

Im gunna make a very long post and finger wag ,when Im not on my gf's phone about certain people that hate rate Vulgar Displayer of power lower than 80

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:49 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:
What albums on MA are you surprised at when it comes to it's overall rating? For example, Panzer Divison Marduk is rated 66% here for some fucking reason. It isn't a bad album so I don't see why it gets a D+ honestly.

I'm surprised that particular exercise in blasturbation and minimal substance is rated so high to be honest. Give me just about any other Marduk release over that pile of crap.

I'm also surprised by the generally positive ratings Fear Factory's Obsolete has received. For a site that frowns on nu-metal, that album is brimming with nu-metal crap. A few of their earlier efforts were at least a bit more redeemable, and I do give them credit for being a much smarter band than their peers, but really, the band who wrote such travesties as Edgecrusher and Descent doesn't deserve more than a %40-50

:nono:
well to be fair, albums like World Funeral and Nightwing are indeed better. La Grande Danse Macabre was boring as all hell, though...

BastardHead wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 pm 

Veracs wrote:
w0Lf wrote:
Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness. A mediocre retro band whose single album has a higher score than the Dismember and Kreator albums

This is more or less the case for all of the rehashed OSDM retro garbage that gets worshiped in the reviews.

Opinions opinions...

One man's noise is another man's music, and so on and so forth...

The detractors of modern OSDM base everything on the fact that they are blinkered by the past, and never get past their view of "it's ALL been done before/nothing new to offer/shameless facsimile..." rhetoric, without concentrating on the actual music, no matter how good it is. The mere concept that newer albums can be just as good, if not better than the older ones never seems to cross their minds. It of course all will boil down to personal preference, but bashing obvious great music is very myopic. But that's just my opinion right?

I see no point in wailing about the rating system of albums here on MA, due to that vast user base and their differing opinions on albums you love or loathe - kind of pointless really. If you love/despise an album that you think has a too low/high rating really becomes irrelevant, and the only way to adjust it for yourself is to write a glowing or damning review to help the situation.

My two cents go to Charon - Sulphur Seraph. It is indeed a killer album, one that I would rate highly, and it has a 100% rating. Why? Because there is only one review for it. It's not a perfect record, just a very good one. The fact that it reminds me more than once of Adimiron Black by Gehenna, means it should be somewhere near the mid 80's low 90's score wise, yet some people will (perhaps) disagree.

My collection

Last edited by CrushedRevelation on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
:nono:
well to be fair, albums like World Funeral and Nightwing are indeed better. La Grande Danse Macabre was boring as all hell, though...

Agreed on all counts. I just find that Panzer Division is just as boring and incredibly unvaried. I much prefer Opus Nocturne, Nightwing, Those of the Unlight, and even the more death metal oriented Dark Endless.

Veracs wrote:
Im gunna make a very long post and finger wag ,when Im not on my gf's phone about certain people that hate rate Vulgar Displayer of power lower than 80

You should make that post FUCKING HOSTILE and show those punks some RE-SPECT!

Seriously, that tough guy jock-core album doesn't deserve higher than 50%

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:30 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Nocturnal_Graves/Satan%27s_Cross/178697#album_tabs_reviews

This is silly.

Pretty much a mandatory album for anybody into the deathrash genre. Some guy has a sad and gives it 2% therefore brings the average right down.

Butthurt Tall Poppy Syndrome in all it's glory is all that review is.

My collection

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:39 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Nocturnal_Graves/Satan%27s_Cross/178697#album_tabs_reviews

This is silly.

It's very odd.

Satan's Cross deserves an above average score for the production alone.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:13 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

This is silly.

I skimmed through that guy's profile and I can safely conclude that he's just a dickhead. Doesn't even provide a good perspective, just criticism for the sake of criticism.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:

This is silly.

That's the thing though. Some major classic albums have really odd reviews here too. The average for Reign In Blood is 80%. Dirt's average is 86%. Ace Of Spade's is 82%. It's as if a band's most popular album is one of the least popular here...

My complaint is this right here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... ng/211993/
There is no reason this album should have only one review of 10%. It deserves a 5%.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 am 

On the subject of "band's most popular record has stupidly low rating", Master of Puppets has a 79%. That's fucking stupid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am 

This thread seems like an excuse for bitching about people with differing opinions, but because Alice in Chains is awesome, I'm always surprised that their albums don't have more 100%s and whatnot, given how much people worship them on the forums. Just a bit incongruent, is all; seeing the unabashed love for them here and then going and seeing a bunch of low-to-mid-80s scores almost exclusively in the reviews.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:36 am 

Oh and i just remembered is why is death's last album only 76? Death's last four albums are the best death metal, and some of the best metal in general i have heard. Also surprise how low Iced Earth's Tim owens ablums and the something wicked album are, though I do agree that dark saga and matt return album kinda sucked. And I would expect that Judas Priest Ram it down and jugulator albums would have lower score (note that both of thoses are in my top 5 judas priest album, I just know some people who dislike those albums.)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 am 

The Tim Owens Iced Earth albums were generally not very good, with each only having a smattering of good or great stuff throughout them. The Glorious Burden has Declaration Day and the Gettysburgh Trilogy, while Framing Armageddon has only Ten Thousand Strong. Pretty much everything else on those records that isn't those listed is not worth the listener's time at all.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 am 

I think there are way too many 100% reviews in general. People treat it like "5 stars" even though the range goes from 1-100.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:05 am 

Subrick wrote:
The Tim Owens Iced Earth albums were generally not very good, with each only having a smattering of good or great stuff throughout them. The Glorious Burden has Declaration Day and the Gettysburgh Trilogy, while Framing Armageddon has only Ten Thousand Strong. Pretty much everything else on those records that isn't those listed is not worth the listener's time at all.

The two albums were in the 50-60 percentages, so I'd say it's fair, considering they weren't horrible.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:21 am 

Agreed. They're both just giant snore fests of records. Same goes for The Crucible of Man. At least Dystopia happened and showed that Schaffer is still capable of writing a song that doesn't put me to sleep.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next