Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 am 

Judging by his Wikipedia and Facebook pages it appears that David Parland aka Blackmoon has died March 19th, 2013 :( Does anyone have any more info? It's a damn shame, too young. He was one of my favorite musicians of all time. He always took the time to respond to emails, and he was in the process of starting up Infernal again and hopefully releasing new material. It's sad, he was struggling so much lately, and I guess now the battle is over :-/

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:59 pm 

We've been best friends for several years, speaking nearly every day. I haven't heard a reply from him since the 13th of March, but things have been bad lately. I've had some people in Sweden calling his phone and no one has gotten an answer. So far, the only "confirmation" on this is wikipedia and this is not something that can be trusted. There must be some way to find out VALID and REAL information.

If anyone knows something, PLEASE post ASAP!!

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:10 pm 

Noctir thanks for your reply, I agree, there HAS to be a way to find out for SURE. I am hoping maybe its not true.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:18 pm 

Someone could resist the temptation to update the MA page.
Would be a pity.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

Profound Lore tweeted about it earlier today, but even they weren't 100% sure.

What exactly was he struggling with?

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 pm 

Well, it was just posted about on Blabbermouth: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187875

Also, one of my Facebook friends told me that they got confirmation of David's passing from one of their friends in Sweden that talked to one of the Nifelheim twins.

I don't feel comfortable airing out what David was struggling with, especially since I don't know if any specific event could have triggered something more recently that I don't know about. We only spoke once in a while through email. He was always very nice. What a bummer.

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:59 pm 

I still can't get any real confirmation of this. No answer from his phone yet, but that isn't so uncommon. ratsit.se still lists him as alive, but I don't know how often they update. Everyone is telling me that Joakim Sterner is the one with the details, but I've not heard from him yet.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:00 pm 

Noctir wrote:
I still can't get any real confirmation of this. No answer from his phone yet, but that isn't so uncommon. ratsit.se still lists him as alive, but I don't know how often they update. Everyone is telling me that Joakim Sterner is the one with the details, but I've not heard from him yet.

Hmm I don't know man. I am not sure what to think. I suppose anything could be possible.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:04 pm 

I hope it's not true. I didn't know him personally or anything. Never even talked to him, but I was looking forward to more Infernal material. If it is true, then I hope he has found peace.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

BlackMarketVinyl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

from lord ahriman's facebook page
Quote:
A couple of days ago I was reached by the terrible news that my old brother David "Blackmoon" Parland had passed away and entered the eternal fire once and for all. It's taken me a few days to grasp it all. And it still hurts, alot, to even think ot talk about it.

During the last couple of weeks I was in close contact with David. He was going through an extremely difficult time of life, whereof he contacted me to ask for my help.

Even though the two of us had abit of a complicated relationship over the years, (much excessive in the media though) he knew that he could always call or visit me when needed, which he also did once in a while.

Last time I talked to him, was when he called me, on March 15. From what I could understand things were going in the right direction. I also had some very good news for him, which he was very happy to hear about. What happened after that I simply can't understand. And I cant understand WHY he didn't call me (again). So close, so fucking close to get back on track brother. Why?

You will be missed deeply! May you reign forever and ever in the eternal hellfire. Hail the hordes!

/
Lord Ahriman

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:07 pm 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Really liked his work on Nocturnal Silence :headbang:

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:22 pm 

Well then, I guess it's official. Will blast Secrets of the Black Arts and Nocturnal Silence tonight in his honor.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 pm 

This is terrible news. My only experience with him was his work on old Necrophobic, but that alone makes him a musician I respect a lot. Those solos were amazing. Rest in peace, David.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:25 pm 

This is terrible news. I wonder what he was struggling with.

Blasting Secret of the Black Arts and some early Necrophobic in his honor right now.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

Another 42 year old ?! far too young to die :(

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
Well then, I guess it's official. Will blast Secrets of the Black Arts and Nocturnal Silence tonight in his honor.

This is not aimed at you personally, but this seems to be a common mindset.
Why didn't you blast those albums in his honor 2 weeks ago when he was alive. And then sent him an e-mail telling him what a great musician/person he is? That would actually have made a difference. In this case maybe even a huge difference. He's dead now. He doesn't care that you honor "his memory". Gah

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

Opus wrote:
DaBuddha wrote:

Why didn't you blast those albums in his honor 2 weeks ago when he was alive. And then sent him an e-mail telling him what a great musician/person he is? That would actually have made a difference. In this case maybe even a huge difference. He's dead now. He doesn't care that you honor "his memory". Gah

Two weeks ago, we didn't know he was close to death. And without official confirmation as to what killed him, I don't see how you can be sure it would have made a difference.

And how do you know he didn't blast those albums two weeks ago? They're both pretty popular, with The Nocturnal Silence in particular being regarded as a classic. There were probably tons of people blasting it last week and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them emailed him about it either, provided they knew his email address.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:48 pm 

Bad news. Nocturnal Silence is one of my favorite old CDs in this genre, but in general I hate when someone is struggling and can't be helped.

RIP, man. I hope you find peace.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 pm 

Man, Parland's stint in Necrophobic is legendary stuff. RIP.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 am 

Terrible news.... First EP of Dark Funeral and Darkside of Necrophobic are simply monumental creations. Hope, he's in better of worlds now...

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 am 

Necrophobic demos and debut album is some of the best Swedish death ever.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 am 

Man, what a bummer :-/ This sucks so much. I would always try to encourage David in our emails and I really felt he had it in him to overcome his demons, but at the same time I felt he needed help, and there wasn't much I could do from across the world beyond a few encouraging words via emails. He was always so nice.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 am 

Damn, R.I.P :(

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 am 

The work of obscure art he made on 'Nocturnal Silence' was great and I think in this sad days all of us praised him to listen his music.
Hail Blackmoon! Hail Darkness!
:metal:

"You make it easy."

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm 

Opus wrote:
DaBuddha wrote:

This comment makes my head hurt.

satanscurse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm 

Opus wrote:
DaBuddha wrote:

I know what you mean.

Last edited by satanscurse on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 pm 

Awful news if true. I was really looking forward to that Infernal album that was supposedly coming out later this year. He ended his career on a high note though. The Infernal Return EP was the best thing he had written Darkside.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 am 

A really nice and heartfelt tribute was written up by Noctir on his website Rites Of The Black Moon. I urge everyone who appreciates David and his work to check it out.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 am 

The tribute to David was written very well and was very moving. I am personally saddened that I had no clue what David was going through even though I am a huge fan of his work.

Had I found out earlier I would have tried to contact him to let him know how appreciated he is. In this world of electronic media one feels bombarded by email and texts and I respect privacy as many people do. I have contacted bands and received welcome replies but have done so only when meeting in person beforehand. I may change my philosophy now, as I think Blackmoon may have appreciated the correspondence. What a sad situation not only for David's fans but for his true friends like Noctir. I wish him the best in the passing of his dear friend. With David we obviously lost a vital member of the metal underground. Rest in peace.

PureFrackingArmageddon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm 

Well this blows, Infernal was amazing, Secrets was amazing (and one of my first introductions to black metal, listened to it 100's of times) and The Nocturnal Silence is a legendary album, definitely going to miss this guy.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm 

Why isn't the cause of death revealed?

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 am 

^ Suicide!

RIP. Great stuff he made throughout his career.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:08 pm 

Sure sounds like suicide. Someone who's going through a hard time and then suddenly gets upbeat sometimes means they've chosen a way out.

Reply to topic