Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 am 

As I said I don't really know/care what motivitations for burning church were, but to claim BM scene's satanism is hugely a Varg's influence is bullshit regardless.
Quote:
No, that album is a black metal album; a dull and thoughtless album, but still black metal. To hell with being too fucking cool for black metal! ;)

Besides half of Umskiptar having not much to do with metal at all, the actual metal parts only have very few of musical black metal elements remaining, and no black metal 'spirit' at all. It's absolutely not dull (during the metal parts) nor thoughtless, even if might seem so for a Catamenia fan. :)
As shitty as Varg's stance on metal and black metal is, it's obvious his motivation against black metal is a clear despise of it rather than being 'too cool for it'. A band which presents 'too cool for black metal' attitude perfectly is Darkthrone.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am 

Umskiptar does indicate that some degree of inspiration still runs through Varg's mind, and in some ways he's more able to express it than in his early works, but some inexplicable inability or unwillingness to write enjoyable songs plagues Umskiptar and the two other post-prison Burzum albums. In other words, there are good ideas that are extremely poorly executed (i.e. thoughtless), making the album incredibly tedious and unrewarding (i.e. dull). Catamenia fan? Get over yourself.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am 

It's just a "job" for him now, nothing else. Making music is just a way to finance his other endeavours. And he has said as much himself. The sooner people stop giving this loser attention, the better.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am 

Another thing I find interesting is that Abbath was allegedly the one who got Varg into black metal in the first place. I doubt anyone would call "Ea, Lord of Depths" "Scaldic" metal with a straight face since it's going to be his first four albums he's still going to be remembered for.

Then again, watch him make another blog post telling everyone not to buy those albums anymore and supporting his Jew years. :roll:

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 am 

matras wrote:
It's just a "job" for him now, nothing else. Making music is just a way to finance his other endeavours. And he has said as much himself. The sooner people stop giving this loser attention, the better.

Doesn't bother me, I think he's pretty great at his job. It's fine if you can't stand the guy and don't listen to his music because of it but expecting everyone else to do the same is a bit lame.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am 

Necessitarian wrote:
matras wrote:

Doesn't bother me, I think he's pretty great at his job. It's fine if you can't stand the guy and don't listen to his music because of it but expecting everyone else to do the same is a bit lame.

I don't "expect" anything, where did you get that from? The post was more of a thought directed to Ilwhyan on why it sounds tedious.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 am 

'wishing' then.

Corpus_Chain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 am 

matras wrote:
I'm gonna spread links to pirated copies of his releases like mad, to lessen this ass-hat's monetary platform. Seriously.

And his values and rethoric sounds eerily like the islamists... they're closer than I think he'd admit.

That might not be the best idea - by spreading his music, you may introduce him to new fans and therefore increase his popularity.

the_raytownian wrote:
If I had to guess, homosexuality wasn't even a problem until the rise of "Jewish" religions in Europe.

I hope that's a typo, and you meant homophobia...
I hope you're not suggesting homosexuality is a problem.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Umskiptar does indicate that some degree of inspiration still runs through Varg's mind, and in some ways he's more able to express it than in his early works, but some inexplicable inability or unwillingness to write enjoyable songs plagues Umskiptar and the two other post-prison Burzum albums. In other words, there are good ideas that are extremely poorly executed (i.e. thoughtless), making the album incredibly tedious and unrewarding (i.e. dull). Catamenia fan? Get over yourself.

I think post-prison Burzum is in objective terms as good as the ol' Burzum, if not better performed. Belus and Fallen were excellent albums with some classics on them (Glemselens Elv, Jeg Faller, Valen) that are worthy of the Burzum legacy. The problem with modern Burzum is not the music itself, its the relevance. Back in the day, Burzum was unique and inmensely influential. When Varg got into jail, a bunch of imitators/influenced bands appeared, making Varg to sound today like he's not bringing nothing new to the table and/or rather pointless for some. Still, I think Varg managed to create 3 albums which sound unique, being Umskiptar the closer Varg has been in terms of his writings and the music.

Varg should just 'forgive' himself for being a teen when he started Burzum; he used corpsepaint, gave some hilarious interviews, the church burning stuff... it's obvious he's not in the same mindstate now but hell, you can't re-write your own past. Black metal was the think he did and the thing made him notorious.

1 thing I think Varg has done well is to keep Burzum and himself as separate entities. Burzum was never about Satan. Varg probably called himself 'satanist' on his teens but the band? never. If people were to mix the band's outputs and the thoughts of their members, I guess Megadeth would never made it big.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 am 

Corpus_Chain wrote:

the_raytownian wrote:
If I had to guess, homosexuality wasn't even a problem until the rise of "Jewish" religions in Europe.

How about sarcasm?

Or better still, he's trying to think in Varg's state of mind where homosexuality didn't even exist until the rise of "Jewish" religions in Europe.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm 

^ You guys are dumb. Clarification for dummies: People didn't regard homosexuality as a problem until the Abrahamic religions stigmatized it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:22 pm 

No, Varg "Scaldic Ass-hat", isn't just a "tiny bit loony crack-pot insane" in a funny way. To use the term "idiot" for him is an insult to idiots all over the world.

http://thuleanperspective.com/2013/03/12/hell-on-earth/

http://thuleanperspective.com/2013/03/1 ... -earth-ii/

Read those two links, and if you still want to support him with your income/allowance, knock yourselves out.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:53 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
but some inexplicable inability or unwillingness to write enjoyable songs plagues Umskiptar and the two other post-prison Burzum albums.

Come the fuck on; anybody who isn't foolishly expecting something as revolutionary as first four, or isn't blatantly prejudiced (oh the irony) against post-prison Varg can at least admit those albums' decency. Belus not shamefully continues what has been done on Filosofem, Fallen brings some slight evolution and Umskiptar is a huger step in direction he wants to achieve.
Ilwhyan wrote:
In other words, there are good ideas that are extremely poorly executed (i.e. thoughtless),

I'd rather say the term thoughtless is quite opposite; referring to something that is lacking inspiration and ideas, only relying on somehow proper execution to achieve credibility. See last Darkthrone.
Ilwhyan wrote:
making the album incredibly tedious and unrewarding (i.e. dull). Catamenia fan? Get over yourself.

The album's uniqueness, variation and intelligent songwriting paired with riffs clearly make it objectively not dull - doing a great job at what it's supposed to be, portraiting Voluspaa musically that is. The fact most of its criticism comes from people who have zero interest in such theme, as well as in the less BM-directed oriented pagan metal, explains a lot too.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:22 pm 

I wonder what Varg's Stormfront forums account name is.

I'm not even going to read this shit. He puts out some decent songs these days but he unfortunately makes it embarrassing to identify yourself as a Burzum fan.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I think post-prison Burzum is in objective terms as good as the ol' Burzum,

How can you evaluate it in objective terms, if I may ask?
Kveldulfr wrote:
Belus and Fallen were excellent albums with some classics on them (Glemselens Elv, Jeg Faller, Valen) that are worthy of the Burzum legacy. The problem with modern Burzum is not the music itself, its the relevance. Back in the day, Burzum was unique and inmensely influential. When Varg got into jail, a bunch of imitators/influenced bands appeared, making Varg to sound today like he's not bringing nothing new to the table and/or rather pointless for some. Still, I think Varg managed to create 3 albums which sound unique, being Umskiptar the closer Varg has been in terms of his writings and the music.

I enjoy some of pre-prison Burzum whereas I'm mostly unable to derive enjoyment from the new stuff. I even prefer Hliðskjálf to it. When I discovered Varg's work he was in prison, and the black metal scene was already oversaturated with imitators and uninspired projects. I can quite safely say that my preference of earlier Burzum over later has nothing to do with how influental it is.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
I wonder what Varg's Stormfront forums account name is.

I'm not even going to read this shit. He puts out some decent songs these days but he unfortunately makes it embarrassing to identify yourself as a Burzum fan.

Outsider's point of view; Varg's hilarious/awful/sad rants about racism and his music seem to be two separate things. The stuff he composes and records has little to do with the bullshit he vomits on his forum, from what I've seen. I'm far from being the person who's most familiar with his work though, so I might be wrong, especially when it comes to his most recent releases.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:45 pm 

No, you're right: the music has little/nothing to do with his insane persona and I'm able to separate the two, but not everyone makes the distinction.

He seems to be doing well for himself, so I guess his music still sells well as he seems to sustain his family/property with it alone. Unless he breeds chickens or some shit on the side.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 pm 

I'll tell you the real reason we can't listen to Burzum anymore; Varg is a global warming denier! Ever since I saw the picture of him with his big truck, then some reference in his blog to a "coming ice age" I connected the dots. Varg is one of those ignorant jerks who would put their trucks before the earth's atmosphere. Such people cannot possibly produce good art. I refuse to support this ignoramus any further with my hard earned money, in fact I'm gonna sell my burzum albums on ebay and spend the proceeds at an eco-friendly vegan coffee shop in the gay quarter.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:02 pm 

Sarcasm is not for everyone.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:58 pm 

I liked the part where he said everyone who doesn't dress like they're going to a ren faire is a Jew.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:09 pm 

I sometimes wonder whether he takes everything he says 100% seriously. He's definitely a controversial person, and one can only wonder if it's somewhat trolling or for attention and to stay relevant. The only other option is that he is legitimately nuts.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:14 pm 

Corpus_Chain wrote:
matras wrote:
I'm gonna spread links to pirated copies of his releases like mad, to lessen this ass-hat's monetary platform. Seriously.

And his values and rethoric sounds eerily like the islamists... they're closer than I think he'd admit.

That might not be the best idea - by spreading his music, you may introduce him to new fans and therefore increase his popularity.

the_raytownian wrote:

wut. no. I mean "a problem" from the perspective of Varg's (and post-Christian Europe's) ideology. Maybe I should have put "problem" in quotation marks, but I can assure you I didn't mean what you're implying.

I love dick, bro.

EDIT: Wilytank explained it perfectly. below the post I am quoting.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
As I said I don't really know/care what motivitations for burning church were, but to claim BM scene's satanism is hugely a Varg's influence is bullshit regardless.

I'm certainly not saying that satanism in BM is solely Vargs responisbilty, but as one of the most influential and well known black metal artists, its absolutely true to say that his behaviour has helped to create this notion.

Quote:
Besides half of Umskiptar having not much to do with metal at all, the actual metal parts only have very few of musical black metal elements remaining, and no black metal 'spirit' at all. It's absolutely not dull (during the metal parts) nor thoughtless, even if might seem so for a Catamenia fan. :)

Whats wrong with Catamenia? Good fun music. Not cool though.

Burzum has always had aspects from other styles of music, including non-metal styles. But he combines this with black metal. This album features fuzzy guitars, rasped vocals, a semi-raw production, simplistic drumming and a certain distinctive atmosphere. In this sense, its similar to all his other releases which feature these elements, and which are black metal albums.

Quote:
As shitty as Varg's stance on metal and black metal is, it's obvious his motivation against black metal is a clear despise of it rather than being 'too cool for it'. A band which presents 'too cool for black metal' attitude perfectly is Darkthrone.

And thats the worst sort of arrogance and delusion. Like a jewish neo-nazi.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
I sometimes wonder whether he takes everything he says 100% seriously. He's definitely a controversial person, and one can only wonder if it's somewhat trolling or for attention and to stay relevant. The only other option is that he is legitimately nuts.

Remember that there's a point between parodic bigotry and the actual thing where the two are pretty much indistinguishable from each other.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:06 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
vengefulgoat wrote:

I'm certainly not saying that satanism in BM is solely Vargs responisbilty, but as one of the most influential and well known black metal artists, its absolutely true to say that his behaviour has helped to create this notion.

To some extent surely; but Burzum is influential particullary to the atmospheric/ambient black metal bands which are rarely satanic at all, or even the DSBM ones which often aren't satanic either, another big branch are those with pagan themes/NSBM bands, so no satanism here too. Of 20000+ black metal bands surely there are satanic ones mainly influenced by Burzum, but the fact is the non-satanic BM nurts are more present, and he probably is actually the biggest influence of black metal scene turning AWAY from satanism.

Acidgobblin wrote:
Quote:

Whats wrong with Catamenia? Good fun music. Not cool though.

Absolutely plastic, cheesy black metal making Dimmu Borgir look grim in comparision, fitting perfectly into the late 90's trend. No thanks. Anyway, not the subject of this thread, my bad for mentioning this.
Acidgobblin wrote:
Burzum has always had aspects from other styles of music, including non-metal styles.

You can be influenced by x amount of genres and still be classified just as "black metal", the amount of alien sounds you incorporate into your music and how pure the core of your music is are the determining factors.
Acidgobblin wrote:
But he combines this with black metal. This album features fuzzy guitars, rasped vocals, a semi-raw production, simplistic drumming and a certain distinctive atmosphere.

All of those are found outside in other genres as well, and I can't be arsed how "simplistic drumming" or "semi-raw production" on this album have close nothing to do with black metal.
Acidgobblin wrote:
In this sense, its similar to all his other releases which feature these elements, and which are black metal albums.

Yes, I have also noticed that he still uses the guitar instrument and splits album into distinctive songs... Come the fuck on, obviously it isn't a free jazz album and you can go with overexaggeration of similiarities as much as you want.
It's common sense that Umskiptar fits much more under the "pagan metal" or "folk metal" labels, and an actual listen to the music reveals that the small amout of original black metal left make it even more visible.

Acidgobblin wrote:
Quote:

And thats the worst sort of arrogance and delusion. Like a jewish neo-nazi.

Whether it is or it isn't is of no interest to me, my point was his attitude could be horrible in multiple in other ways than playing the "too cool for black metal" dude.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm 

"War" is Jewish because the opening contains colloquial language.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 am 

Quote:
No, you're right: the music has little/nothing to do with his insane persona and I'm able to separate the two, but not everyone makes the distinction.

I was always ready and willing to make the effort to draw a line between the two when the music the man was making was reasonable; I can still make the division for the classics, but he's just been a silly man making silly music for the last few years now. "Varg" and "Varg's music" are two different things still, of course, but I feel less inclined to bother with that dualism when I don't care for either recently.

When it comes down to it, it does matter to us what Varg does as a person, at least in some sense. Otherwise why would we spend so much time and energy conjuring the dichotomy between the man and the music in the first place, which we have done.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 am 

Strange rant from Varg this time, bit different to the norm... no real purpose and very contradictory... either totally insane or like he's really only trying to offend and seek attention...

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 am 

^To an extent, he doesn't seem to actually care whether he is consistent or not. Or perhaps not notice it. His major problem appears to be a relatively low IQ.

Vengefulgoat, I'm not going to bother rebutting you. I think you know exactly what I have meant with my posts.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm 

In his latest blog post, Varg gives his opinion about Immortal. Made me laugh :D

Spoiler: show
Their combined IQ is a two-digit number and the Jews of KISS are their idols.

The rest of the post is also somewhat funny, if you care to read it:
http://thuleanperspective.com/2013/03/2 ... its-cover/

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 pm 

"When I was out driving with my oldest daughter"

Holy shit, Varg has a car?! :o

deplo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:39 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
"When I was out driving with my oldest daughter"

Holy shit, Varg has a car?! :o

Holy shit, I wonder if his daughter is as insane as he turned out to be.

http://thuleanperspective.files.wordpre ... g_7124.jpg

And he seems happy with it! :-D

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00 am 

"The Bee Gees was cool."

..OK,that's it. The joke has broken; now I am positively CONVINCED this guy is taking everyone for a long ride through trolldom or someone is impersonating him on that website.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:02 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
"The Bee Gees was cool."

..OK,that's it. The joke has broken; now I am positively CONVINCED this guy is taking everyone for a long ride through trolldom or someone is impersonating him on that website.

I'm tempted to think the same thing. While his past postings were heavily biased and framed, they were at least presented with his own research and supporting information - again, heavily and incorrectly framed, but he was making an effort to back up what he was saying. This new stuff just reads like a laundry list of things that annoy him.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:08 pm 

That camo car looks like a Douglas Pierce wet dream.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm 

His ego is off the charts. He balks at allowing his posters to even mention the names of other bands influenced by him (or metal music discussion in general) because he wouldn't want to endorse or give undue credibility thereby giving recognition that a "scene" in fact exists because he thinks Burzum is the only one true band; a kind of "there shall be no other Gods before me" type of thing,ya know? He was a very, very large part of the second wave black metal and ambient that has created countless imitators so in a way it's understandable that a musician would think like that but tenfold for a guy like Varg.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm 

Did Varg paint the camo on that car himself?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:31 pm 

deplo wrote:
Holy shit, I wonder if his daughter is as insane as he turned out to be.

This actually presents a sad potential tale. Assuming Varg doesn't home school her (if they can do that in Europe), she's going to go in and not make any friends.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm 

Oiras wrote:
Dunno, haven't they [anus.com] been on the Varg haterade since he decided making his post-prison music?
Yeah, you can read one their editor's opinions of Belus here. I'm inclined to agree with it.

I've always been a fan of their approach to metal: Only listen to the best, disregard the mediocre. As for their politics, while not as flagrantly racist as Varg's, I could mostly do without.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
"The Bee Gees was cool."

Yeah, this must be some kind of a joke. The Bee Gees played disco, a genre originated by black people and popular with gay men. Hardly the kind of thing Varg would be into.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next