Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Maybe it's only me, but it's a funeral doom song with almost no black metal elements, still totally awesome though.

Those moments have been there in the past though. Just look at "I Raised this Stone...", "Mount Sinai Moloch", "The Restless Mills", and "Arcane Farmakon Messiah" from the last album. Though the production on this new song does make it sound like it has some Evoken influence. Love the new song though.

Eelpop
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 pm 

Meilenwald writes his albums to flow together as a whole so one track wouldn't be very indicative of the whole thing

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm 

Have to say, I was a bit worried until 3:50. Production has definitely gotten an upgrade. Not sure yet how I feel about the old place getting a cleaning, but it's probably good to let in some fresh air.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:12 am 

I certainly welcome the doom-y elements in the new song. Not sure whether one can extrapolate it to the entire album but this is quite good. I am expecting a mix of the old TRoB sound as well as this new direction. Stoked!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 am 

Awesome, mesmerizing, massively heavy, memorable song. New direction? Yes please.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 am 

also, I forgot that he does tend to include those lingering passages, so I shouldn't have been too granny-pants about it.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:30 am 

Well I am done. This is going to be the best album of the year. This new song is unreal its a continuation of the sonic direction on Foulest Semen and it just builds and explodes into those blasting sections. Grandiose, dark and just fucking genius.

Rodak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:32 am 

Exciting. I don't need a teaser and will wait 'til it is in my hands. He is blind purchase material.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 pm 

Love it. Picks up right where Foulest left off, continuing along that path while expanding, which is exactly what I was hoping he was gonna do with this album. Can't wait for actual release!!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm 

That track is intro/filler material, not much interesting going on, expecially not much black metal. But we had stuff like this on previous albums, so I'm not worried. It's just too long.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:39 pm 

New song is excellent. This album should not disappoint.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:57 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Well I am done. This is going to be the best album of the year. This new song is unreal its a continuation of the sonic direction on Foulest Semen and it just builds and explodes into those blasting sections. Grandiose, dark and just fucking genius.

This pretty much sums it up. Started a tad slow but as always, Ruins delivers once you get into the thick of things. Such good song writing. Really want to preorder this.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 am 

I have only just listened to this now, and can safely say that this is awe inspiring. Glorious (sub) genre crossing genius. It is a monument to the creative brilliance behind TRoB, and as always will produce nothing short of colossal, grandiose darkness in which to lose one's self. The corridors are vast, yet they are indeed dimly lit...

My collection

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I have only just listened to this now, and can safely say that this is awe inspiring. Glorious (sub) genre crossing genius. It is a monument to the creative brilliance behind TRoB, and as always will produce nothing short of colossal, grandiose darkness in which to lose one's self. The corridors are vast, yet they are indeed dimly lit...

Wow, excited much?

This song is much more funeral doom than his previous efforts. I'm not totally sold on it so far -- the lack of variation makes it drag on. It'll probably sound better in the full album, though, I just hope AVM hasn't fully embraced funeral doom and loses the black metal elements. But I'll suspend judgment until the release.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am 

Metantoine wrote:
BUMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtkiAfB1 ... e=youtu.be

AWESOME

Maybe it's only me, but it's a funeral doom song with almost no black metal elements, still totally awesome though.

That just gave me a massive boner. Pumped up for the new album.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 am 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

Wow, excited much?

Yes. And? :scratch:

My collection

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:22 am 

He's a cynical bastard. Envious of your glee.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:38 am 

So.... I really can't get enough of this song. Talk about IMMENSE. I'm not super familiar with anything by TRoB other than Foulest Semen... (I've been correcting this over the last few days). That album is one of my personal favorites from the last few years. In this ten minute song I feel captured by the same looming spirit of despair and "grandiose darkness" (as CrushedRevelation put it) that made the last album so magnificent. Yet there is something about this song that is different and unique as well. Smoking a fresh bowl of fine greenery and being captured by this song has been one of the best musical experiences I've had in 2013. It took a few days of listening but this has catapulted straight to the top of my most anticipated.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 am 

I don't see the slow build up of this opus as being a detracting factor. The fact that it DOES unfold and develop under it's own immense weight is staggering. Those clean vocals, that organ bridge is pure shivers down the spine bleakness, before being utterly crushed by the massive closing riff section is well... glorious. There is plenty going on in this, despite it's on the surface, Spartan nature. It is rich and detailed, vast and engrossing. If the black metal elements are completely removed for a more doom orientated direction a la Evoken (but with the inimitable TRoB style and creativity), then it be will be most welcome.

My collection

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
He's a cynical bastard. Envious of your glee.

I just don't hear anything special in this song. Don't get me wrong, I love all his earlier work, but it's going to take more than this to get me onboard the hype train.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:11 am 

^ This.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 pm 

New song is easily a 9.9/10 for me. Unbelievably dark, enigmatic, captivating atmosphere - like we were expecting something less, right? Alexander Meilenwald is a fucking wizard. His voice sounds similar to something like an avalanche in a massive cathedral. Though the absence of any black metal influences caught me off guard, it's still apalling and immense.

Great music confounds expectations and complicates assumptions. Although, if you're listening to music with preconceived assumptions, you're doing it wrong anyways, lol.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Yeah, I basically want to rescind my original hesitation. It's really good. The thing that put me off originally is, actually, just how MUCH light is coming in. Like stained glass that's just gotten a cleaning. Really great production. I'm definitely looking forward to the whole album, because who knows where in the progression this song falls. I'm basically addicted to his signature melodies. WAGGA! EXCITED MUCH YES MUCH! such good art.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 pm 

doomster999 wrote:

That just gave me a massive boner. *penis-Pumped.. for the new album.

ftfy

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 pm 

This song sounds great, but it's not really black metal at all anymore. Like someone said, it sounds more like funeral doom with some black elements, not really BM anymore.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:03 am 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
I just don't hear anything special in this song. Don't get me wrong, I love all his earlier work, but it's going to take more than this to get me onboard the hype train.

inhumanist wrote:
^ This.

:roll:

Like what exactly? Curious to know what else could be done to lift your expectations, of what is already an enormous and enveloping track?

My collection

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:16 am 

I just listened to the song. Not familiar with The Ruins Of Beverast's other works, but I didn't mind this. I didn't like the constant reverb of the vocals, though, but that might be something I could get used to. Otherwise this was a fine track and I might buy the album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 am 

Stabwound wrote:
This song sounds great, but it's not really black metal at all anymore. Like someone said, it sounds more like funeral doom with some black elements, not really BM anymore.

And I don't see anything wrong with that. If it's good music regardless, why does it have to have a certain percentage of black metal in it? Because he started off as a black metal band? Foulest Semen made it pretty abundantly clear that he was moving away from black metal and evolving into something more.

edit: I'm not attacking you, you said the song was great. This is more directed to people who say they don't like it because it doesn't have much, if at all, black metal

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 pm 

Nah, not at all. I totally agree. In fact, it's probably better to change up styles after you've tapped your creativity in a specific genre; I'd rather hear some good music in a different style than some very uninspired black metal, if that was the case.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm 

MA's categorization is the most accurate, from where I'm standing, but I like the way Van Records sums it up: Sinister Black Metal.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm 

black metal > funeral doom

black metal by Meilenwald and friends >>>>> most things

CrushedRevelation wrote:
MalariaMosquito wrote:

inhumanist wrote:
^ This.

:roll:

Like what exactly? Curious to know what else could be done to lift your expectations, of what is already an enormous and enveloping track?

More riffs. Less boring ones. Less filler.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 pm 

I'd rather it not be pure black metal anyway. I consider Unlock the Shrine to be the weakest and least memorable album in the line. And many of the songs on his other albums that had stronger funeral doom influence are ones I consider to be his best ("Soliloquy of the Stigmatized Shepard", "I Raised This Stone as a Ghastly Memorial", "Arcane Farmakon Messiah" for example).

Funeral doom is good stuff. In fact, I'll put it this way: Evoken >>>> Burzum.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

More riffs in THIS track? This is so obviously an "intro" sort of track, like "I Raised This Stone..." from the last album or "Between Bronze Walls" from the debut. The way it's done is slow, yes, and takes its sweet time to get to the good stuff, but speeding it up or adding riffs would ruin the whole effect of the song. And there will most likely be more varied, climactic tracks later on in the album - it's just how Meilenwald works. The first track of each album is always stuff like this. Really don't get the complaints that some of you guys expected more, frankly. :p

I think it's good. Heavy, somber and sinister as fuck. Just an atmospheric monolith. Not his best song ever but I don't see a reason to expect every song released to be his best ever. I'm sure the album will have lots more gems on it.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm 

Will get this. One of leading BM acts today.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

More riffs in THIS track? This is so obviously an "intro" sort of track, like "I Raised This Stone..." from the last album or "Between Bronze Walls" from the debut.

I already aknowledged that earlier in this thread. I was telling what it takes to get me excited, and an intro/interlude of sorts won't do that. I'm not arguing against this stuff and I actually like it for what it is, but an album with just that kind of material won't do. Not that I expect it to be like that. But there needs to be something which it leads up to/ which it supports atmospherically.

To answer your question: No, not in THIS track. But this track is all we have atm.

About I Raised This Stone As A Ghastly Memorial: It's certainly a much better song and in my opinion even able to stand on its own. I'm actually currently learning to play it :-P I'd rather have tabs for God's Ensanguined Bestiaries, though.

Last edited by inhumanist on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 pm 

Though Between Bronze Walls is a great song, the intro portion is extremely long for what it is. It creates atmosphere, certainly, of something like being stuck in a confined, maze-like space.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:18 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
But there needs to be something which it leads up to/ which it supports atmospherically.

I think this track shows a lot of potential for another ingeniously written, dark album of a different stripe than his previous ones. I don't think it will sound much like any of the other three, really. That's what interests me so much about this. I'm getting some great seedy, downbeat and urban vibes from this. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
MA's categorization is the most accurate, from where I'm standing, but I like the way Van Records sums it up: Sinister Black Metal.

That's redundant, since sinisterness is part of the definition of black metal, or should be at any rate.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:15 pm 

"Malefica" was alright, I didn't find it particularly mindblowing nor up to the notch of the last two albums' work. But it did feel pretty lacking in context and it might feel better within the whole of the album. The mixing seemed a little off... some drum elements and vocals seemed too loud and out in the open. I dunno, the balance seemed kind of off-kilter. And yeah, the riffs could've been a bit more developed, but then it might just be the context thing again. In any case, it sounded pretty good, I remain optimistic :)

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:41 pm 

I hear you, Starmere. I think the context will change a lot. Taking any of the tracks out of the middle of either of the last two would probably make me think similar things, since obviously some individual tracks are more "dope" than others.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:

That's redundant, since sinisterness is part of the definition of black metal, or should be at any rate.

You certainly have a point. Sadly, I find too little black metal genuinely sinister. This, however, seems part of Van's personal branding since the adjective only appears next to the CDs in the order list, not the TRoB profile. Verdunkeln, for comparison, they call "hypnotic black metal." Either term would indeed sound lame devoted to a sub-genre.

(.. and to any annoyed accent nazis, I know it should be there, I just don't know the code to put one over the a.)

edit:
inhumanist wrote:
Less filler.

I remain unconvinced that Meilenwald uses any such shite. He might have an elongated sense of pace than some would prefer, but he's no hack. His work is NOT for the impatient. That much is clear.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next