Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zushakon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hey, so I made this film project for my university film making class, it turned out alright I guess. It's basically a nihilistic view of the daily life of an emotionally disturbed university student. I'm not saying it's good or anything but just figured I'd ask what you guys thought. Soundtrack is all sorts of black metal, dsbm, and what not. Figured this would be a good place to post it.

So yeah, here it is...

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm 

First off, stop with the woe-is-me defeatist attitude; it doesn't help you or the audience.

It was actually decent. The acting didn't feel contrived and it flowed pretty well. It felt like it was leading somewhere, but when the end came, there was no revelation with the character or story, other than what was already apparent throughout the whole thing.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm 

You're right, it's not good. Script was bad, technically it was bad. What did the "soundtrack" have to do with anything. Putting music to a film doesn't make it a soundtrack. Are you studying film making at university level? If so, you need to start paying attention in class!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 pm 

I watched it and I was hopeful for something towards the end. But it tapered off into nothingness. As some who have already mentioned it, you need to work on your writing and script.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 pm 

Well, I enjoyed it actually. Acting was believable, execution was good enough to not distract. You can only cram so much plot in a short and this one barely had one which wasn't a problem at all as it obviously was mainly about characterization - which I thought was well done since at the end of it I was actually able to empathize with the protagonist. Nothing felt cheesy or over the top, maybe a bit cliche but not too much. Yeah so I think this film accomplishes what it needs to accomplish. Fuck the haters.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Zushakon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 pm 

It was actually going to be a lot longer, but my "producer" (my film teacher) made me chop the hell out of it, she actually ended up doing most of the editing because she'd OCD and once she did one thing she wouldn't stop and I was actually in the media lab till 2 a.m. watching her edit :s

As it is though, yeah, it's not the best it could be, but I think it turned out as good as a 7 minute film could given I wasn't in control of most of the editing. :S
ld50 wrote:
First off, stop with the woe-is-me defeatist attitude; it doesn't help you or the audience.

It was actually decent. The acting didn't feel contrived and it flowed pretty well. It felt like it was leading somewhere, but when the end came, there was no revelation with the character or story, other than what was already apparent throughout the whole thing.

There actually wasn't supposed to be a revelation, only that life continues, we just keep "fucking up and moving on" there is no meaning, we just continue. That was the reason behind the beginning and the end essentially being the same, to show that nothing changes for him, he just does the same thing every fucking day.

I was actually debating having the guy take part in some kind of self-harm or committing suicide or something, but I figured it was actually more depressing for him to just go to bed drunk again, the same as always.

I guess I should include the fact that I got a B on it, and I'm not looking to work on it anymore, it is as it is. It was the first film project I've ever done and the only film making course I have or will be taking.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:49 pm 

A few bits are kinda hammy and cliche, particularly right at the beginning (cmon, smacking the alarm clock?), but overall its appealingly honest, and the technical crudity can be overlooked. My main gripe would be that the story being told is monochromatic and stagnant; once you've established the protagonist's alienated lifestyle (which happens within the first minute) there's no change or novelty after that, just rumination on the same theme.

Ell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:58 am 

I overall like the premise of it, and I guess by that I mean to say it's just sort of an exposure to an individual's daily life, and the philosophical thoughts he experiences and the general monotony of it all. I don't think there has to be a plot or any sort of character development, as it is just such a brief glimpse into someone's daily life. I certainly don't have interesting things happen to me everyday, and I strongly believe that anyone who says that they do is 100% lying.
In any event, there are of course things that could have been better in my opinion, but I am not the artist, so it doesn't really matter. The only criticism that I feel that I SHOULD give has already been said by someone else. Self-deprecation is not the best way to lure in an audience. You are selling this and any other piece you will ever write to the audience, and to better sell something, I've learned that it's most effective to command your customers' respect and full attention. Saying it's shitty will only undermine your authority.
Best of luck with this film class you're taking, though!

Reply to topic