Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm 

Song is called "The Invention of Hatred". It's alright. Nothing too terribly bad but not the greatest stuff in the world. They've got an EP coming out on Metal Blade next month called "The Burden of Sorrow".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:36 pm 

Good for him. Nothing stands out to me, though. Really dumb lyrics too.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:37 pm 

One of the other guys in the band is Ryan Glisan from Allegaeon. Not sure how many people here like that band since I don't really see their name brought up too often.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:48 pm 

Actually, thought that was fairly decent. I'm hearing a fair bit of newer Behemoth influence in this track. Surprised that is Tim Lambesis doing vocals though. His vocals with As I Lay Dying have always been fairly uninteresting, generic metalcore screams.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:52 pm 

It's not the first time he's done death growling like this, as he's done it in a couple Austrian Death Machine songs, one of which was easily the most extreme anything he's ever done.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:10 pm 

That was listenable. In my opinion, it is better than Austrian Death Machine. Never bothered to Listen to As I lay Dying so I'll just gauge it as Tim's second best band.

The art looks like Pinnacle of Bedlam's Art and since I do play Magic: The Gathering, I like the art.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm 

This is actually pretty good, I think. I'm not familiar with his other two bands, I may have heard As I Lay Dying once or twice, but beyond that, no idea. This sounds cool though, I like the tone of the guitar and some of the riffs are pretty decent. Not great stuff, but competent. And if it gets some of his fanbase into death metal, well, that's cool too.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm 

Mediocre modern death metal with painfully plastic production. I enjoy As I Lay Dying, but this is boring.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 pm 

This was alright I'll Probably pick it up when it comes out as I like As I Lay Dying and Allegaeon kicks some major ass in my opinion.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm 

I liked that more than As I Lay Dying, and they were one of my gateway bands so I have a soft spot for em. I will definitely keep my eye on this band.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 pm 

Petty shitty, and I won't give this wanker any credit just because he wants to play death metal now

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Mediocre modern death metal with painfully plastic production. I enjoy As I Lay Dying, but this is boring.

Pretty much this, it's entirely unremarkable. I'm in the weird position of liking As I Lay Dying, but hating Tim Lambesis, so I guess you can call it a wash and say I have no prejudice coming in like many would, but it's still pretty boring.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 pm 

The only thing about it that I really don't like is the opening. It reeks of "deathcore audience participation gang shouting" only without the gang vocals. Aside from that, as said, it's just very average for me.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Same. Tim's voice also seems pretty forced with the constant growls, he sounds best sticking to the mid/high range imo.

Subrick wrote:
It's not the first time he's done death growling like this, as he's done it in a couple Austrian Death Machine songs, one of which was easily the most extreme anything he's ever done.

Put those cookies dooooown!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 pm 

I can't see how anyone can seriously enjoy As I Lay Dying. huge meh.

This is meh as well.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Same. Tim's voice also seems pretty forced with the constant growls, he sounds best sticking to the mid/high range imo.

I think the problem is that he leaves behind the hooks that make AILD a great band. They're catchy as hell, the vocals aren't truly in the lead, but more a component and contributor to a band where there are guitar melodies, a clean vocalist, and a growler to lead the music. This stuff is just boring and forgettable, the overproduced sound leaves a big impression if you're not already sick of it. I prefer this style of music to sound dirty and unrefined.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 am 

That was pretty average. Does good modern death metal (not tech-death) even exist? This band's efforts seem futile at creating that. At one point of time, I actually didn't mind some of the AILD material and I think Tim's vocals are more suited for that...not this.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:37 am 

I don`t care for Tim Lamesis and As I Lay Dying or Austrian Death Machine(though 'Get to the Choppa' is kind of humorous) but I have always felt as if his vocals were on the harder side for metalcore. This song is above average death metal. The vocals are okay, not as deep as I would like. The drums are nothing special but they are okay. The production is too clean but the real strength, the thing that carries this song, is the guitar work. The riffs are not amazing but they are pretty fucking good and the solos are high quality. It seems I need more Allegaeon in my life.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 am 

shouvince wrote:
That was pretty average. Does good modern death metal (not tech-death) even exist?

Yes it does.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 am 

shouvince wrote:
Does good modern death metal (not tech-death) even exist?

There's Sulphur Aeon and Lago.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm 

Checked it out as an AILD fan. It's alright, but it could be so much more.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm 

Awesome. There's better death metal out there but I still really liked this. You can definitely hear some of As I Lay Dying's metalcore creeping into this song. That's not a bad thing for me though; I like the band.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:20 am 

...ew. Well the vocals were shit, the growls seem forced as if he was trying to go back into metalcore territory and the screaming just bugged the hell out of me. Musically it was mind-numbingly boring, I only lasted about half the song before I hit the stop button. :/

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:39 am 

Subrick wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Does good modern death metal (not tech-death) even exist?

There's Sulphur Aeon and Lago.

Horrendous. Thank me later.

BTW...huge meh but in a decent way, nothing impressive nor mediocre.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 am 

IanThrash wrote:

Well I'm actually doing a band with Lago's guitarist/vocalist, so no, not horrendous.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:21 am 

Subrick wrote:
IanThrash wrote:

Well I'm actually doing a band with Lago's guitarist/vocalist, so no, not horrendous.

haha. No! I meant the band Horrendous, truly amazing modern death metal without guitar wankery or fancy production :P

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:32 am 

shouvince wrote:
That was pretty average. Does good modern death metal (not tech-death) even exist? .

Here's a list I made.. 99% of the stuff is non tech death.. you may find some good stuff :-
http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_vie ... 50&start=0

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 am 

It's alright. Quite listenable, but then so are the other million bands doing this. I'll probably pass on this one for now and hope my copy of Pinnacle of Bedlam turns up soon.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 am 

IanThrash wrote:
haha. No! I meant the band Horrendous, truly amazing modern death metal without guitar wankery or fancy production :P

Ah. Be more specific next time, ya harpy!

But yeah, do listen to Lago. Fucking excellent and deserve more recognition.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 am 

I've only heard great things about Lago, Subrick. John_Sunlight recommended them as well (I think). Btw, my question was part rhetoric :) I know bands in that style, some are good but they're mostly pretty meh.

And Horrendous is essentially an OSDM-styled band. Not what I was referring to.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 pm 

Ohhh you ment modern SOUNDING death metal!!? well, i can only think of Bodyfarm right now :P anyway, this is not related to the thread. Lago are indeed an excelent band, sorry for the missunderstanding Subrick :p

PhilTasmal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm 

I have no idea who this band is and I probably will never listen to them but I noticed this :

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm 

That was pretty good. No sickening clean vocals and the low tuned guitars sound wicked. It does have something reminiscent of Allegaeon, which is a good thing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm 

Well Ryan Glisan is one of the guitarists, so that's probably why.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 pm 

Wow it's almost as if that's the exact reason why he said that! :roll:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm 

Tried to give this an honest chance, but it's just not happening for me. There's no prejudice against Tim Lambesis on my part either since I've never actually listened to As I Lay Dying or any of his projects that I can recall and it would seem that'd make him an easy target due to having the highest profile. At least they're making an intelligent decision to just test the waters with a 3-song EP for now. Perhaps the other two are much better than this and they'll focus a future full-length on whichever song(s) go over the most.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:13 am 

Blows. Same riffs a thousand other bands have used, obnoxious pseudo-djenty guitar tone, stupid plasticky Rock Band drum tone, horrible vocals, and even more horrible lyrics. I figured that Lambesis would probably be a bad omen, and I was correct.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 am 

Just because it's a certain guy doing a project doesn't automatically make it bad by association. The material in this song is just really bland regardless of what other bands Tim Lambesis happens to be doing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 am 

Subrick wrote:
Just because it's a certain guy doing a project doesn't automatically make it bad by association. The material in this song is just really bland regardless of what other bands Tim Lambesis happens to be doing.

Well, obviously Frank Booth doesn't like any of the other bands he's doing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:17 am 

Still, I don't think that should sway an opinion regarding an entirely separate band the guy's doing.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next