Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:22 pm 

This is a band I have had my eye on for a long time and finally, after long delays and change of label the debut is about to hit the shelves, on Monday. Based in Falkirk, Scotland the band add a fresh take on the black metal norm by drawing their influences from their homeland for a change of scenery (scenery which is equally as beautiful and epic all the same).The lyrics are based on old Scottish poems and the music on the album is said to be packed with folk melodies from their native land. I'm sure some will draw comparisons the Suidakra due to the musical themes only I should think they will explore it much more.

https://soundcloud.com/candlelight-reco ... -lion-of-1

Sounding promising, I look forward to the full release though I wish the vocals were a bit more 'blacker' sounding.

Last edited by STORMM on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:41 pm 

I really enjoyed the epic-atmosphere and melodies of the demo tracks I've heard by them, and I've been meaning to a) find out when the album comes out, and b) buy a copy, which hopefully I'll get around to soon. The track linked to sounds pretty good, but I think agree about the vocals, they'd be really suited to that super-echoey style which bands like Wodensthrone and the like are doing - they currently sound incredibly metalcore, which is odd, because I'm sure they didn't before.

I was going to see them live a few years ago, but couldn't get into the venue because I was under-18, so hopefully that chance will come around soon too.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I think agree about the vocals, they'd be really suited to that super-echoey style which bands like Wodensthrone and the like are doing - they currently sound incredibly metalcore, which is odd, because I'm sure they didn't before.

I also remember them being better before? Maybe something to do with the move to Candlelight, who knows. I would agree, the echo style you mentioned would be much more fitting.

Carpathianchrist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm 

Great band. One of my all time favourites based on their demos alone. I have been greatly looking forward to hearing them in their final form on this album and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with it. Might finally get my Cnoc inspired tattoo shaded and finished sometime soon.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:34 pm 

That soundcloud track reminded me just a bit of Suidakra, which ain't a bad thing by any means. Definitely going to look into this.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 pm 

Cool song. Hate the vocals though.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 pm 

I really love their demos. I've not listened to the album tracks but I'll be sure to get the CD when it comes out. On the demos at least the vocals were always a bit different but certainly not bad. I've seen them live several times and they're really good. They're playing a show in April I think in support of Falloch which I'll be sure to attend. Personal favourite songs are Red Lion of the North and Hail, Land Of My Fathers. Make me proud to be Scottish!

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 pm 

Excellent music, wish I could say the same for the vocals... :(

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:22 pm 

Those are some very core-ish vocals. Too bad...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 am 

This description makes me feel interested, ahhh Scotland I would like to visit this country, someday perhaps...

The core influences may sound strange but I am quite open minded in this aspect.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:53 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
This description makes me feel interested, ahhh Scotland I would like to visit this country, someday perhaps...

The core influences may sound strange but I am quite open minded in this aspect.

Dont think the vocals are intended to be core-ish bro, is just the way they come across. The music itself is 100% melodic blackened folk. Will have the cd any time now and music wise I dont think it will disappoint, Scotland is full of great folk songs and melodies so it should be something a bit different being fully embraced to this extent by a metal band and maybe the vocal approach may differ on some of the other tracks.

Reply to topic