Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 pm 

Just saw that Six Feet Under is releasing a new album in March called "Unborn." They put out "Undead" last May, which, at least in my eyes, was a radical shift from the usually terrible and boring crap they were releasing beforehand. This new song, "Zombie Blood Curse," sounds like it's going to be in the realm as "Undead," so maybe we'll get another SFU album that wins over more critics. That artwork is pretty much the same, however...

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode= ... mID=186115

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm 

holy shit. SFU are actually beginning to get some steam. Chris is starting to sound as sick as he did in the 90s and the music sounds pretty fucking killer.
Undead and Unborn are going to be two sick albums.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm 

I was literally just about to make a thread for this.

Song itself sounds kinda generic, but it's an indicator that the new album will probably sound good.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:20 pm 

I moderately enjoyed the bit after 2:00 which lasted for a good minute or so. The rest of it seems like they've been trying hard to get that groovy death n' roll sound but still not quite there in my opinion. It still sounds very recycled and unoriginal. Barnes's vocals are terrible though. They sound a bit digitally altered in some way. I gave up on 'Undead' on hearing it for few minutes. Let's see if 'Unborn' gets the same treatment.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm 

That was significantly more impressive than anything I've heard from Six Feet Under. It's far from great, and it's not enough to make me want to check out the album, but it's actually somewhat enjoyable as opposed to flat-out awful.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 pm 

This is the first song I've ever heard from Six Feet Under, and, being rather indifferent towards Cannibal Corpse and therefore not caring about the whole Barnes vs. Fisher thing, my unbiased opinion is: that was boring. The song rides a dull chug riff for most of its duration, and strangely, the slow part in the middle was actually the best part of the song, because at least they started to build some atmosphere. They immediately fucked it up by going back to that boneheaded riff though. Oh well. I liked the artwork, at least.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 pm 

I've only heard a handful of SFU songs but this one sounds pretty solid. Surprised to see something come out so quickly after Undead but whatever works I suppose.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm 

they get a lot of hate and i can understand why, but Undead was overal pretty stellar (Commandment and Death Rituals were also pretty ok imo), looking forward to Unborn...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:18 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Song itself sounds kinda generic
This is my thoughts. I'll admit I liked the groovy quality of that opening riff but it became stale very quickly and certain aspects like the solo felt really forced and unnecessary, like oh here's a tiny portion of space to throw in a solo because every song has to have a solo. As far as I'm concerned people will remain critical of Six Feet Under unless they raise the bar.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 pm 

That was the musical equivalent of watching paint dry. Holy shit, that was so boring. I really can't find any redeeming qualities with this band. I honestly have no idea why they're as big as they are.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 pm 

shouvince wrote:
...seems like they've been trying hard to get that groovy death n' roll sound...

They should leave it to guys that can do it properly, like Entombed, cause boy, that was a train wreck. And if they were aiming for tension, well, they missed. I've never been attracted to SFU's mediocre death metal but I do remember their last album being slightly above par for Six Feet Under. Man, what a way to take one step forward and five steps backward.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 pm 

I've been thinking of buying a SFU album for years now, but man do they ever release one every five minutes. And half of them have AC/DC covers. Which I'm actually okay with.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 pm 

That was pretty decent and Barnes sounds quite good.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:13 pm 

Eh, I'd check it out but I'm listening to Asphyx.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:34 pm 

When the first album came out, I thought it was great. Everything after that they lost. This doesn't sound bad though. It might be worth checking out.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm 

See, I quite like older SFU. They are a good death metal band to whack on while doing stuff, it is like easy listening death metal, and their covers are something I'm actually really into.

This is pretty cool stuff, but like most SFU, not really life changing. The lyrics are awful, but musically they feel a lot more inspired than they have in the past, and as has been said, Barnes is killing it again vocally.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:36 am 

He reminds me of Glen Benton as far as lyrics, being that they used to be really awesome, but lately, it feels like theyve run out of ideas(havent like Glens since Stench). Doesnt help that 70% of the song titles are one word for Unborn.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:32 am 

Agreed. It is weird as his vocals are back on track, but the lyrical content can't compete with some of his older work.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Reply to topic