Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:43 pm 

General discussion for Gojira's new album, L'Enfant Suavage. I'm enjoying it more than The Way of All Flesh, but not as much as From Mars to Sirius. L'Enfante Suavage seems more technical, and a little more melodic, but it's missing the atmosphere I loved so much from From Mars to Sirius (the album cover doesn't help much, either). So far my favorite tracks are The Gift of Guilt and Pain is a Master. My one problem is their repeated use of harmonics (I think that's what it is), especially on Liquid Fire.

EDIT: You know, there's something very unique about Gojira. They can write music that seems so basic at first listen, yet, somehow, it gives you the impression of much more powerful music that you would expect. I guess it's a form of minimalism.

Dysphaegic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:57 pm 

I don't think L'Enfant Sauvage is technical at all. Seems like a much more lazy effort than their previous releases. I think you're right though about the harmonics. They utilized them well in From Mars to Sirius, but in this album they are overdone and they rely on them too heavily to add some flare into their songs. I don't like that the main riffage through-out this album are also just chugging chords (of sorts) just in different time signatures and rhythms. Such a bore-fest for me. I know they can do much better.

I will say, this album has a few parts in it that have much more "soul" than a lot of their other songs. Which, is something I would expect from Gojira.

I really enjoyed The Gift of Guilt, Liquid Fire, and The Axe .. aside from the fact the intro in The Gift of Guilt is abruptly murdered into another chugging session.

Maybe I should sit down and re-listen to this sometime after i've cooled down. It's just much more different than their other albums.

Last edited by Dysphaegic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
General discussion for Gojira's new album, L'Enfant Suavage. I'm enjoying it more than The Way of All Flesh, but not as much as From Mars to Sirius. L'Enfante Suavage seems more technical, and a little more melodic, but it's missing the atmosphere I loved so much from From Mars to Sirius (the album cover doesn't help much, either). So far my favorite tracks are The Gift of Guilt and Pain is a Master. My one problem is their repeated use of harmonics (I think that's what it is), especially on Liquid Fire.
EDIT: You know, there's something very unique about Gojira. They can write music that seems so basic at first listen, yet, somehow, it gives you the impression of much more powerful music that you would expect. I guess it's a form of minimalism.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89478

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:56 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
ClaymanOnFire wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89478

*mega-facepalm*

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 am 

I've never really been a Gojira fan, and let's just say L'Enfant Sauvage isn't going to make me one. I feel about the new album the same way as the older material I've listened to: I like the music, the guitars are usually really unique and the drums are great, but the vocals are a complete deal-breaker for me. I listened to the album at work yesterday, and stuff like the guitars on Explosia is awesome, but once Joe's vocals kick in I almost turned it off.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:56 am 

I guess I can see that, Joe's vocals do sound a bit nasal. Personally though, I love them, especially when he does that scream/shout thing that has a bit of melody to it.

123matt321
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dCqHjzJftU

Gojira frontman Joe Duplantier was interviewed by Mike James when the group played Exeter on their most recent UK tour in support of their latest album, L'Enfant Sauvage. Watch the whole conversation above.

Another awesome interview which gives some cool insight on Joe's influences in life was just puslished. Check that one out here:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... _metal.php

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89478

*mega-facepalm*

I can understand the search fail if you misspelled "L'enfant sauvage" all the time :lol:

On subject, L'Enfant Sauvage is my favourite Gojira album, contrary to what seems to be a popular opinion. Kinda logical since I have a tendency for the more melodic metal... can't say they're among my biggest favourites.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
*mega-facepalm*

Blizk wrote:
I can understand the search fail if you misspelled "L'enfant sauvage" all the time :lol:

LOL!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:06 pm 

123matt321 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QdCqHjzJftU

Gojira frontman Joe Duplantier was interviewed by Mike James when the group played Exeter on their most recent UK tour in support of their latest album, L'Enfant Sauvage. Watch the whole conversation above.

Another awesome interview which gives some cool insight on Joe's influences in life was just puslished. Check that one out here:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... _metal.php

Don't resurrect old threads to spam your stuff.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.