Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fucknicethings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 pm 

So a couple years ago, I began kind of collecting CDs as a hobby. Now I'm older, and more mature, and it's stopped being as fun to see a big pile of money sitting on my shelve, especially when all my music is archived in my computer in flac, and all converted to 320 MP3 at this point.

Anyways. I want to sell off the non-collectable portion of my collection. Just the reissues and stuff like that.

My biggest concerns lies in the matter of shipping and listing. I think I could very well figure out how to list, but I'm not sure if the 1 dollar packages at the US postal service are the best deal. They may be, though, if that's the most convenient it gets. 100 bucks spent on packaging isn't that big a deal, if I'm still making much more profit.

This concern I have with listing lies in which site to list it on. Amazon, or Ebay. I like the big-name, professionalism that these sites have,

Suggestions, advice on how to get started, those things would be appreciated :-)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:15 pm 

You could try on the selling board here, if it's metal you should be able to sell a fair number. Amazon is good as it gives you a fair amount for shipping, but both Amazon and eBay take a cut of fees.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:22 pm 

Get in touch with local show promoters and ask if you can set up a table with your CDs available for sale. Probably easier to do this if you are in a band, then you can just incorporate it with your merch-booth. Most venues I've been to have tables available for bands to use.

Sometimes there are events that bring in more vendors and it could be quite easy to get a table in those cases.

This way you can sell the CDs cheaper since you won't need to include shipping costs, and you'll likely get a whole bunch of people buying them if you sell them cheap enough. You might even get lucky and come across someone who is like me and gets tons of CDs at once. Most of my CD collection came from shows, some of which I came home with over twenty or thirty CDs.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm 

For sure though you should list the for sale part of your collection on this site. I much prefer buying from people and second hand shops rather than Amazon or Ebay but that's rarely possible when looking for some of the rarer stuff. Also if you list your location people may be willing to just meet you and buy directly so you don't have to pay for shipping.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm 

I've had great luck with the board here. A lot of people are only down for trades, but there's a fair amount down for buying. I've always listed here first and then took the rest off to eBay & Amazon.

As far as shipping costs, if you use the same packaging for each shipment, you use the shipping calculators on eBay & Amazon that automatically calculate the cost based on the buyer's country code or zip code. So weigh one package, and use that as a rule of thumb.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm 

Also consider using Discogs. The major difference is that it doesn't charge any fee for listing items for sale, as well as having selling fees which are roughly half the ones on Ebay.

Reply to topic