Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:39 am 

Not sure if this has been discussed much on the board, but I thought it would be cool to make a thread about Scott Conner, formerly of Xasthur's new project, Nocturnal Poisoning. In case you haven't heard the project yet, here is a link to one of the tracks from his latest album, ''Other Worlds of The Mind''.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtq7VHRbF0

Personally I find the guitar lines and compositional structure nothing short of amazing. It's intricate music that actually paints a landscape, at least in my mind, and it's an entirely different project in comparison to Xasthur. I don't know how many people were expecting to hear a project like this when Conner ended Xasthur, though he did hint in the OOM (One Man Metal, Youtube it) series that he wanted to take something like Kansas, and put his own spin on it. I think that's really cool. There is also a second album in the works from what has been said on the projects Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturnal ... 9917061250

What do you think of the new project?

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 pm 

I've only really listened to the album once, but I do remember enjoying it. I was never a Xasthur fan or a DSBM fan in general, but dark acoustic folky stuff I'm all over, and Scott Conner does it well.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:34 pm 

I absolutely love Other Worlds of the Mind. During my first listen, all I could think was "Somebody finally wrote an acoustic album with me in mind". It's beautiful and haunting with some surprisingly upbeat moments, all of which meshes seamlessly. I can't wait for the second album.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:28 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
I absolutely love Other Worlds of the Mind. During my first listen, all I could think was "Somebody finally wrote an acoustic album with me in mind". It's beautiful and haunting with some surprisingly upbeat moments, all of which meshes seamlessly. I can't wait for the second album.

I ordered this album from Scott the day it was released and I LOVE it! I had actually made a topic in the promotional part of this message board to help spread the word. Really great album and I'm definitely interested as to what's in store for the next one.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 am 

It's great to see some appreciation and enthusiasm for the new project. I'm about to message Scott about an order, and I'd love to get a copy signed. I'm honestly just impressed by some of the harmonies and counterpoints within the pieces. It really has me stumped as to how he made the transition between such extremes, to be honest.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:42 am 

Baldrs wrote:
It's great to see some appreciation and enthusiasm for the new project. I'm about to message Scott about an order, and I'd love to get a copy signed. I'm honestly just impressed by some of the harmonies and counterpoints within the pieces. It really has me stumped as to how he made the transition between such extremes, to be honest.

Hell yeah man Scott is a cool dude. When I bought the CD it came with a signed copy of tabs for the Xasthur song "Prison Of Mirrors", a signed copy of the "Portal Of Sorrow" CD and A CD-r with some demo versions of songs from the album on it. I see him post often that if someone wants him to sign a NP CD just let him know and he'll do it.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:00 am 

@Roc Oh nice dude, that was when it just came out and he was still trying to sell off all of the previous Xasthur merch/CD's that he still had left over. I don't think he feels too good about his old band, but it's probably in his interest to keep selling the old CD's for some cash. I thought it would be interesting to see how well Xasthur sells.

I considered buying that package myself, though I didn't really want a copy of POS.. I gave it a fair go but, I just can't get into DSBM. Sometimes the riffs are cool but cannot gel with the vocals.

Also, I'm listening to the Hatred For All link in your sig. PM incoming :)

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:12 am 

Baldrs wrote:
@Roc Oh nice dude, that was when it just came out and he was still trying to sell off all of the previous Xasthur merch/CD's that he still had left over. I don't think he feels too good about his old band, but it's probably in his interest to keep selling the old CD's for some cash. I thought it would be interesting to see how well Xasthur sells.

I considered buying that package myself, though I didn't really want a copy of POS.. I gave it a fair go but, I just can't get into DSBM. Sometimes the riffs are cool but cannot gel with the vocals.

Also, I'm listening to the Hatred For All link in your sig. PM incoming :)

Awesome man I'll check my PM's now. Yeah, DSBM is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm 

Really need to get the CD from Scott at some point. I was very disappointed with Portal of Sorrow as Xasthur is one of my favourite artists but have heard really good things about his new project and liked the little bits I have heard.

Also it has been cool speaking to him briefly on facebook, I ordered 2 old Xasthur shirts off him, really good bloke to deal with was very impressed.

Reply to topic