Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 pm 

Please don't let this turn into a list thread.

Explain why, please.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 pm 

NARAKU666, that arch enemy album is their 2nd album. Black Earth was their first. By a whole 2 years prior to Stigmata.

Zushakon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Katatonia being another, although I'm sure many who are fans of the later era would disagree. I've never been inclined to move one way or another towards anything they've done post-Brave Murder Day and I feel the style is very redundant now. Not to mention Dance of December Souls is just sheer brilliance and their are very few albums within the genre that can top/compete with it..

I view Brave Murder Day Katatonia and New Katatonia as 2 completely different bands, they can't really even be compared due to the total change of styles. I LOVE BMD but I also LOVE Night is the New Day, but for completely different reasons.

LegendMaker wrote:
Also, it's really little more than a list at this point. OP, if I may, YouTube links would be much more useful than cover arts for giving us a taste of your examples. We could also make it a discussion, like for instance: "a vast majority of bands tend to release their quintessential material early on, and never surpass their own debut... Do you (dis)agree, and if so, why is that? Please elaborate".

Yeah, I should have put some more thought into it my apologies. Also

In Mourning - In the Failing Hour from Shrouded Divine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQONblb-N1U

compare to

In Mourning - Celestial Tear from The Weight of Oceans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc4MojAE1XM

and Angst Skvadron - Song to the Sky from Flukt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmmpf0dlA0

compare to

Angst Skvadron - Fucking Karma from Sweet Poison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6VeYtDPrCU

The second comparison isn't as different, but I just feel the "feeling" of Flukt was superior to Sweet Poison.

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Another +1 for Candlemass. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is their best - not by far, but it is to me.

I totally agree with this statement.

inhumanist wrote:
Mayhem. Total no-brainer. DMDS is the black metal archetype. They did nothing like it again.

Enslaved. Frost was awesome but didn't reach Vikingligr Veldi's near perfection. More and more that album reminds me of Berliner Schule ambient. It only went downhill from there.

I dunno, I love DMDS but I also think the Grand Declaration of War/Wolf's Lair Abyss era had some worth to it.

Also, I disagree with Enslaved. I think like Katatonia they're a completely different band than when they started. I reallllly dislike their new stuff, but albums like Monumensions and Below the Lights are experimental black metal masterpieces. Frost/Eld/Vikingligr Veldi are more of the viking black metal side of them and are definitely classics, but their middle years produced some experimental wonders as well. I just think they've fallen into this proggy haze that I just can't get into, ever since Vertebrae really.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 am 

Overkill!

I know, I know, most people would be inclined to mention "The Years Of Decay" but that album isn't as thoroughly consistent as the first. And "Horrorscope" is a bit polarizing.
Their fist album on the other hand is GENIUS! Incredible heavy/thrash metal that became the blueprint for all and everything the band would then make (plus, no ballads!)

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 am 

Seconding Satyricon. DMT smokes everything else they've done. Beautifully low-fi sound that suits the music perfectly; stunning riffs; gorgeous cold atmosphere. The two albums that followed were all right and the rest are completely forgettable.

Last edited by Body_Hammer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:45 am 

Godflesh - Streetcleaner

This album has a really depressing and nihilistic atmosphere like no other Godflesh album. One of the reasons why I prefer this album to later Godflesh albums is the really cold sounding drum machine. Also the vocals are just perfect for this kind of dark music. The later albums are great too, but nothing like this one.

AuditaTremendi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 am 

Xpert74 wrote:
AuditaTremendi wrote:
Phah. That would be most of the classic deathmetal bands. ...Autopsy...

Mental Funeral is by far my favorite Autopsy album. Compared to Severed Survival it's a lot more doomy; almost like a more monstrous-sounding version of Hellhammer.

I can understand that somewhat,as Mental Funeral is almost just as good as Severed Survival (almost). Severed Survival just had such a big impact...it cannot be overlooked.
A filthier version of Scream Bloody Gore. You can easily hear that Chris/Autopsy was influenced by old Death. Severed Survival is a classic and Mental Funeral a good follow up.
However there are more people who go for Mental Funeral these days. Back then,in the early 90's,as far as i can remember,most favoured the debut.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Mayhem. Total no-brainer. DMDS is the black metal archetype. They did nothing like it again.

True. But it's Mayhem's second album.

As for me:

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Not only is this Frost's best, it's one of the best albums ever. Everything about it is great. The song writing, the musicianship, the atmosphere, the riffs, the solos, etc.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
If someone asked you "What's death metal?", you should play them this album.

I also second those who said Bonded By Blood and In The Nightside Eclipse.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is the first official full-lenght album of Mayhem. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mayhem/67

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:

markoff_chaney wrote:

Oh irony. :-P

The only one that comes to mind that hasn't yet been mentioned is Metal Church. The following two are still great, but the S/T has more massive classics than The Dark and while all three have fairly obvious differences between the best and the rest, there's a bit more diversity/memorability vs a couple too many Priest-worship tracks in The Dark and some straight-up mediocrity in Blessing in Disguise. No beating that debut-album energy either. Also, somehow they managed to get significantly worse production by signing to Elektra.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:53 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:

Erm, no. It's their first studio full length. Deathcrush is an EP.

HamburgerBoy wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

markoff_chaney wrote:

Oh irony. :-P

:lol:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 am 

inhumanist wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

Erm, no. It's their first studio full length. Deathcrush is an EP.

I wasn't talking about Deathcrush. Live in Leipzig is Mayhem's first album. The OP didn't say anything about first studio album.

As for Celtic Frost, Morbid Tales was originally released in Europe as a mini-album. To Mega Therion was their first album proper.
I don't see anything ironic about Altars of Madness though. Total Hideous Death might have been as long as an album, but it's still a demo.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:12 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
I don't see anything ironic about Altars of Madness though. Total Hideous Death might have been as long as an album, but it's still a demo.

Basically Abominations of Desolation is the first full-lenght album of Morbid Angel. It was recorded in 1986, but released in 1991, but still I always think Altars of Madness as their first album.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 am 

juusokult wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

Basically Abominations of Desolation is the first full-lenght album of Morbid Angel. It was recorded in 1986, but released in 1991, but still I always think Altars of Madness as their first album.

First recorded, but not first released. I guess it really depends what you think "first album" means.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 am 

It's first released that counts.

With Morbid Angel, it was so completely beyond the quality of any other album that I find it baffling how popular they became.

Out of Anata's four full-lengths, I think the first one is easily the best. The melodic death metal aspects go beautifully together with the inhospitable tech death riffing.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 am 

The first that came to my mind are Annihilator (Alice in Hell) Down (NOLA) Ensiferum (s/t) Necrophagia (Season of the Dead) Suffocation (Efiggy of the Forgotten) and so on

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:45 am 

Although I do like later albums by Metallica, I would agree with the poster who said Kill Em All. Metallica in my opinion never came close to topping that album. The first time I heard that album I thought the record player was on the wrong speed. I also really enjoyed James vocals on that first album. My friends and I use to theorize he destroyed his vocal chords singing like that, which is why his voice changed so radically over time on albums like Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and The Black Album. Overall an awesome album that the band never seemed to come close to the anger and aggression on that album.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:44 pm 

Not to downplay their other efforts, but Fleurety's "Min Tid Skal Komme" album is really something out of this world. It's avant-garde without that "look how crazy and psychotic we are" vibe they started having later. It's coincidentally one of the most underrated albums in Norwegian black metal.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 am 

Bands that come to mind are

Slayer (I know people will disagree with me here but i only like their first 3 albums anyways)
Metallica
Helloween
Metal Church
Diamond Head
Angra
sanctuary
death angel
stratovarius
satan

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 am 

ACM wrote:
Although I do like later albums by Metallica, I would agree with the poster who said Kill Em All. Metallica in my opinion never came close to topping that album. The first time I heard that album I thought the record player was on the wrong speed. I also really enjoyed James vocals on that first album. My friends and I use to theorize he destroyed his vocal chords singing like that, which is why his voice changed so radically over time on albums like Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and The Black Album.

That was just puberty, man :lol:

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 am 

ULVER

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
ACM wrote:
Although I do like later albums by Metallica, I would agree with the poster who said Kill Em All. Metallica in my opinion never came close to topping that album. The first time I heard that album I thought the record player was on the wrong speed. I also really enjoyed James vocals on that first album. My friends and I use to theorize he destroyed his vocal chords singing like that, which is why his voice changed so radically over time on albums like Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and The Black Album.

That and I remembered hearing that the cover of So What is what really blew his voice out.

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm 

Insomnium. In fact their first album is their only one that isn't dreadful.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:32 pm 

Thuderclese wrote:
I'd have to add my vote for Entombed's Left Hand Path.

Though I like all of Necrophobic's albums I feel that The Nocturnal Silence is the best of them all.

Disagree with your Entombed opinion (I'm a 'Clandestine' guy myself), but totally agree with Necrophobic. I like all of their albums, but 'The Nocturnal Silence' is the only one I really ever listen to. It's unmatched in (blackened) death metal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:40 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
ACM wrote:

Well, James was like, what? 20 when he recored KEA? I'd say bad technique fucked up his throat.

Katatonia, Atheist and Pestilence are bands that I thought were good to mention here. Katatonia's debut is the only album I like by the band. The drastic change itself wasn't bad but I just didn't get anything fun out of their music later on. I'd say the dull factor started to play on Brave Murder Day. Atheist never topped their debut. I heard every album they recorded and can't say I dig much of anything after their debut aside from a few songs. Pestilence (probably in the minority here) also are a band whos debut just rocks the best. While some of the later albums aren't bad (talking about CI and ToTA here) I'd rather listen to other albums in that style but their debut still rules supreme. The fucking riffs man!

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm 

Setherial - Nord
Helheim - Jormundgand
Katatonia - Dance of December Souls
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Septicflesh - Mystic Places of Dawn

to name a few.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 pm 

Crypt Infektor wrote:
Please don't let this turn into a list thread.

Explain why, please.

I'll remove the "please" and make it mandatory. Thanks.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:
Setherial - Nord

Have to agree with this one. I really dig the atmosphere on Nord, sort of reminds me of In The Nightside Eclipse. But after.... just norsecore rubbish

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
ULVER

That's for sure. Although Kveldssanger is a classic as well, nothing else the band has done competes with their first album.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 pm 

I am not the first to say this, but pretty much every big old school death metal band out there got it perfect on the debut (and followed it up with a monstrous second). Morbid Angel, Obituary, Autopsy, Entombed, Dismember, Incantation, Immolation, Nile, Deicide, the list goes on.
I cannot explain why this is. Many of these bands went on to release lots of tremendous albums later, but for some reason the first two always stick in a unique way.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm 

A lot of the issues with the old school death metal bands had to do with being picked up by major labels, then having to deal with the added expectations of selling x number of albums, and so on. The music was too extreme to have the mass appeal the major labels were looking for, so when the bands would try to tone down their sound, become more accessible, etc. they would land in this sort of void where they were still too extreme for the average metal fan but no longer cutting edge enough for their early fans. And I think the old school death metal scene of the early 90s simply became too bloated with cookie-cutter bands, very few of which had any kind of unique production or songwriting. They all had that similar guitar tone, all tried to be "Brutal" AND technical, all had blastbeats, gruff vocals, etc. By 1993, around the time these bands were onto releasing that third album, all that stuff wasnt good enough anymore to stand out and make the band unique or special anymore. So, a lot of them tried to compensate by being more technical, with more clear production values and that just hurt them more.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm 

First full length studio album from Destruction, Infernal Overkill (1986) is their best. The brooding, dark atmosphere and massively technical riffing that was largely ahead of its time; evil lyrics; and a great production job (for the time/genre) makes this my favorite Destruction album of all-time even still. If feels like a lot of the song titles, such as The Ritual, Antichrist, or Bestial Invasion with constant evil guitars, popping drums, and dark lyrics. The cover artwork and killer back cover are cool, too. Sure, they've put out great albums since - and their next one (Eternal Devastation) was magnificent, but the total package within Destruction's discography can only be found in the mighty Infernal Overkill.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 pm 

^Agreed. "Eternal Devastation" suffered from a slightly wierd and kinda flat guitar sound, which ruined it for me. While "Release from Agony" sounded a bit too much like Exodus or Metallica, i.e. generic thrash/crunch guitar sound, but with less-straightforward riffs and some oddball arrangements- which made it not as good as Exodus or Metallica. After that, I kind of lost interest as nothing I heard by them really excited me that much.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 am 

I'd say Megadeth's first album is their best. It may not have the greatest production ever, but those songs are FURIOUS. The whole band showed just such excellent musicianship with catchy song-writing all in one lean, mean package. Plus, that rendition of These Boots is pretty bloody awesome.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I'd say Megadeth's first album is their best. It may not have the greatest production ever, but those songs are FURIOUS. The whole band showed just such excellent musicianship with catchy song-writing all in one lean, mean package. Plus, that rendition of These Boots is pretty bloody awesome.

It does have an excellent production and sound: Menacing and malevolent, especially considering the time. It's not shiny or glossy or honed, but neither is the album. Fits the savage feel of the songs. Can't say I'm fond of These Boots though. Megadeth never did well with the cover songs. The three covers on the first three albums all break the flow.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 am 

I wouldn't say Kill 'em All is Metallica's best. It sure has the energy, but the best is Ride the Lightning. Candlemass reached their peak on Nightfall, though EDM is a hell of an album.

Burzum's first album has the diversity, which makes it his best. Hell, I love Det Som Engang Var and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss too, but on the first album there's just more going on. Of course this is debatable, and I'm not even sure of this myself. The favourite Burzum changes day by day...

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am 

a lot of people will probably disagree, but i'd throw in bodom and at the gates, both of which made a couple of decent albums after their first great ones and have sucked ever since

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Mercyful Fate will never top Melissa. Satan's Fall will make sure of that.

No. Don't break the oath is where it's at. An all around more ballsy album imo. I like both though.

I hate the production on Don't Break the Oath. Great songwriting still, but the guitars give me a headache. And when you throw King's falsetto on top of that, it becomes unlistenable. Melissa has the stellar songwriting, and a nice thick warmness to it. And I love me some nice thick warmness.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
How about Jag Panzer? Not saying that everything after the debut sucks (far from it, in fact), but Ample Destruction is unparalleled; a wrecking ball made of lighting and fire, destroying everything on its path, and covering the tattered remains of its victims with metal :metal:

True! First Jag Panzer kills, even though other albums are great as well.

Also, the first Metal Church. Every riff is just pure excellence. There is a particular magic to this album that was never captured again on their more ambitious subsequent efforts.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm 

Testament.
The Legacy was like a perfect Metallica/Slayer hybrid, which meant something back in the 80s when I first heard it (and played it to death). Faster than Metallica and more melodic than Slayer with a vocalist who sort of hovered between Hetfield style singing and Araya's yelling (& occasionally screaming) and lyrically pretty dark. Back then the production never bothered me, although by today's standards it sounds pretty poor, but whatever, I dug the fuck out of this album.

They went downhill from there, at least for the next batch of albums. Haven't heard their newer stuff except for a couple of songs here and there...seems alright actually.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next