Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 am 

Or more accurately, he was let go. This was posted on Lantlos' Facebook page:

Okay, so, some of you may have already guessed it and for some of you this might be bad news:

Neige and us will go separate ways with the new album. No bad blood. Not at all!

Here an excerpt of the mail I wrote him giving reasons for the split:

"...See, over the past few years, I saw you getting bigger and bigger with Alcest. You have reached so many things, touched so many people and sacrificed so much time. And of course you need this time to do so. But well, like I said you a couple of times before - we need you, too.
See, I am very thankful, not only for your singing, but also for pushing the band and last but definitely(!) not least for your friendship and the time we spent so far. Though, we can't go on like this.
For me, you are not a member of the band anymore and that since quite some time. I don't blame you or anything, I am actually VERY happy for you and your success! But we and especially I had to go on... like with playing live and all. It feels weird to have you not with us, when you are a part of the band. And after all, we became a real band, without feeling "weird". Lantlôs is not a single myself-thing anymore. And I actually have to say that we are very comfortable with the line up we are having now. Things came naturally - I feel more and more comfortable with singing, the guys like what I do and we feel like a small family, so like a real band.

(...)

The album is so different from the former ones. It's a whole different approach and as much as I turn it around - I want to do vocals on this thing. I am so proud and I feel like my voice suits the music that I feel like it was nonsense giving it away for the sheer sake of friendship. I would, you know, kind of lie to you, because I would just keep you in the band because of being too polite and too insecure to tell you things right away, as they are.

So, I said it. I hope you understand our/my situation and don't see this as total cut on all edges. I still like you as a person and still want to be friends. Needless to say this!!! And yeah, well, I don't know what to write now except for "thank you" and that I hope that you understand my decision.

I thought with the Roadburn, things would change, but now I rather see it like a "final farewell", like the first and last big appearance :) Can you befriend with this idea?..."

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 am 

Another disadvantage of international bands: having to give the boot to a guy by email, which is usually ground for being cock-punched.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 am 

Wow, its surprising to see that he has posted fragments of a so personal email, but I like it, and I like how he has explained his feelings but he should have telephoned him, it sounds too cold to end a professional relation with an email.

On the musical side, I expect and hope a new sound because the last album was mediocre, the debut and Neon(my favourite) were wonderfull but Agape was a little thing in comparison. Lets see what happens now.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Another disadvantage of international bands: having to give the boot to a guy by email, which is usually ground for being cock-punched.

Better than getting it through a fax from people you see face to face

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 pm 

Not bad at all. My favourite album was the self-titled without Neige. I love that album. When Neige joined the band and they started releasing records with his vocals...it just didn't hit me anymore. Also, I saw them live with Herbst doing the vocals and I actually preferred them! They suit the music better than Neige's (whom I still consider an amazing vocalist, especially on the Alcest and Peste Noire records).
Now I'm actually looking forward to their following releases.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm 

Kevmaster wrote:
Not bad at all. My favourite album was the self-titled without Neige. I love that album. When Neige joined the band and they started releasing records with his vocals...it just didn't hit me anymore. Also, I saw them live with Herbst doing the vocals and I actually preferred them! They suit the music better than Neige's (whom I still consider an amazing vocalist, especially on the Alcest and Peste Noire records).
Now I'm actually looking forward to their following releases.

Agree 100%. Neige is my all time favorite harsh vocalist, but my favorite vocal performance on a Lantlos record wasn't even from Neige but from Alboîn. I think the best material from the band was the first record, so really I don't find it to be that big of a deal. I'll be interested to see what comes next.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm 

Not surprising at all. I also remember Neige said he was about to stop screaming altogether, so it was bound to happen anyway.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 pm 

Agh, finally. Say all you want about Neige but I found him to be a bit over-rated and people kept talking about him when referring to Lantlos(And I always did like Les Discrets more than Alcest, although they're not really comparable). My favorite album was definitely the self-titled and I'd love to hear whatever new directions the band is going to go in. I've seen live performances and Herbst should do a good job on this.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 pm 

That's a bit of a shock to see Neige being let go, but after reading that message it's good to see that there are legitimate reasons why. Even though I like Neige as a harsh vocalist, Herbst's vocals suit Lantlos' music much more than Neige's and it'll be interesting to see where the band go from here.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

I love Lantlos all their albums are completely different yet you know it's them. Will be interesting to hear this new album without Neige. Also with so many rumors flying around about Alcest going Hipster-rock maybe he didn't want to sing on another post-black metal album? I know someones going to give me shit for saying Hipster-rock, but thats what I heard the new direction is going in.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 pm 

That's the supposed new direction of Alcest? I may have to get back into them if there's a new record out this year.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 am 

conquer__all wrote:
I love Lantlos all their albums are completely different yet you know it's them. Will be interesting to hear this new album without Neige. Also with so many rumors flying around about Alcest going Hipster-rock maybe he didn't want to sing on another post-black metal album? I know someones going to give me shit for saying Hipster-rock, but thats what I heard the new direction is going in.

Not sure where these "hipster-rock" rumors are coming from (which do sound absolutely ridiculous). Apparently Alcest's new album is being recorded in Sigur Ros's studio, and has a guest appearance by Neil Halstead of Slowdive. If that's any indication of where the sound is headed the album will probably be magical. Anyone who says Sigur Ros or Slowdive is "hipster-rock" quite simply put, is a fool.

Reply to topic