Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:38 am 

This is the heaviest fucking thing I've heard in ages! It's not even really slam, but they manage to work in tons of uptempo moments and even some guitar solos (what the hell??Q?!?!) and it sounds awesome! These guys were never my favorite Russian slam band but they've seriously upped their game for this album. What do you guys think??

12:30 = orgasm
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:21 am 

Just got the record! It's an awesome album! These days, most bands into this style of music are boring! But, these guys pull off some intresting riffs and drum work!

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 pm 

Heavy, fast, guttural....this is pretty good shit!

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:07 pm 

It's good shit

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm 

HORY SHET is right. I kinda moved away from brutal death in favor of the old-school bands -- but now I'm regretting that I did, 'cause this is amazing.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm 

Not bad, I tend to get bored with a lot of BDM, but this seems cool! Sick vocals too.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

Hey, this is great. :guns:
Sick album cover that foregoes the usual themes and gore of the genre as well. I love the guitar tone, how deep and crushing everything is, and their judicious use of pinch harmonics. Haven't been in a slam phase in a while, but this is encouraging.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm 

I was asking a friend about this record and he's like "oh yeah, they're a chug chug bree bree band right" and I realized that is more honest than any bullshit "brutal slam tekknikal breakdown" description of what they sound like can be. We also determined that we may be fools for loving chuggychuggybreebree music but you know what, fuck it.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:50 pm 

I ordered Autopsychosis the other day. It hasnt come in the mail yet. It is actually my first metal purchase for 2013. I have not heard the album all the way through but I love everything I have heard so far. This is much better compared to the 'chug chug bree bree' stuff Katalepsy were doing. My initial impression is that it sounds more like a mature, structured, and thought out 'chug chug bree bree' album. These days I normally do not get excited over 'slam' or bands with heavy slam tendencies. It is actually rare that I ever do, to be honest, but these guys have grabbed my attention.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 am 

Wow, this is incredible! The guitar leads sound extremely fresh in this style of metal. 2013 is shaping up to be a really good year for brutal death metal if this and the upcoming Defeated Sanity say anything.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm 

IdiotFlesh wrote:
Wow, this is incredible! The guitar leads sound extremely fresh in this style of metal. 2013 is shaping up to be a really good year for brutal death metal if this and the upcoming Defeated Sanity say anything.

I agree! Hails to brutal death in 2013!

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:03 pm 

love that bass tone, sounds crushing.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 am 

That was surprisiny excellent. The sound is absolutrly perfect and the band is rich with ideas. I like the more traditional vocals with all the regular grind noises used for little add ons and special touches, as well as a level of slams which is not too many that they lose their effect, yet not too few that they seem shamed of them.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
That was surprisiny excellent. The sound is absolutrly perfect and the band is rich with ideas. I like the more traditional vocals with all the regular grind noises used for little add ons and special touches, as well as a level of slams which is not too many that they lose their effect, yet not too few that they seem shamed of them.

Spot on. The vocals of bdm are usually what draws me away from the music because I feel like it adds nothing to the value of the music itself. These vocals however, are abnormally heavier than traditional death metal vocals, which adds to the listening experience. I also like how the slams are not overused. Good shit.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 am 

Hastein45 wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Spot on. The vocals of bdm are usually what draws me away from the music because I feel like it adds nothing to the value of the music itself. These vocals however, are abnormally heavier than traditional death metal vocals, which adds to the listening experience. I also like how the slams are not overused. Good shit.

Yes I agree! And the riffs change up from 'brutal' to more 'techy' which is quite nice aswell! :-D

BrutalCatfish
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm 

This is sick. Hopefully i get time to hear the whole album, but the ones i did are brutal. 12:30...yes, i did a little

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 am 

slayer85 wrote:
Yes I agree! And the riffs change up from 'brutal' to more 'techy' which is quite nice aswell! :-D

:thumbsup:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:04 pm 

I always avoided Katalepsy for a silly reason - I felt their logo resembled Pathology's to some extent that I assumed their music would be bland. Boy was I in for a surprise. This album sounds delicious so far (12min into at the moment) and I've paused everything else to let this play. The grooves and the brutality is immense. I especially love those squeals mashed up with the breakdowns and the straight-up BDM portions.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm 

It doesn't get much better than this. I liked it so much I did my first review.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 am 

What does the 'slam" in their genre description indicate? I've heard the term, but I don't really know what separates it from other death metal beside the fact that it's super groovy, like Bolt Thrower and Jungle Rot, albeit in a different way.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:44 am 

Lots and lots of brutal death slams, which is just a certain kind of breakdown. The new one isn't reqlly slammy enough to be a slam album. Listen to Cephalotripsy or Short Bus Pile Up for a better image of the idea in action.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 am 

There's what's called a "slam" and then there's "slamming brutal death metal." There's bands like Vomit The Soul and Defeated Sanity (edit:and Katalepsy, at least this album), who use slam breakdowns in their otherwise pretty technical music. Then there's bands like Cephalotripsy and Vulvectomy who simply alternate between fast-paced grinds and slam breakdowns. One thing that both types of bands have in common is that they use groovy riffs as interludes or breakdowns, whereas bands like Jungle Rot and Bolt Thrower are just groovy in general.

Edit
Also, never heard Katalepsy before but this new album is pretty damn sick. Reminds me of Vomit The Soul.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:36 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
What does the 'slam" in their genre description indicate? I've heard the term, but I don't really know what separates it from other death metal beside the fact that it's super groovy, like Bolt Thrower and Jungle Rot, albeit in a different way.

This article has a pretty great description of slam for the uninitiated, as well as lots of good songs to check out. Important to note that breakdowns and slams are not the same thing!!
Quote:
SLAMS are also palm-muted riffs, but usually on the chromatic scale (as heard on Pantera “A New Level”) rather than single-note chugs. They are really more about creating a chunky texture than any kind of real melody or discernable “song” in the conventional sense. Basically, imagine tuning down to A or B and just kind of randomly playing power chords up and down the first 5 frets or so on the bottom strings- that’s more or less what slam is all about.
In terms of arrangement and overall songwriting, slam is more about stringing together one slam riff after the next, creating a relentless, crushing steamroller kind of feel. There’s really not much resembling a “rock song,” as opposed to deathcore, which uses more or less traditional rock song structures. Deathcore songs have verses, choruses, bridges, and use breakdowns as just that: an overt “here is the mosh part” kind of thing. As you can see from this song, it wouldn’t really be accurate to call the slam riffs breakdowns, because they aren’t breaking anything down– the essential characteristic of slam metal is that the whole song is nothing but slams.

The shit going on at 12:30 in the video I noted is a great example of a slam too. It's even used as a breakdown because, like others said, this album is generally too fast/dynamic to be purely slam.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm 

this is some killer stuff. have to keep it in mind as the year progresses.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

I finally got my copy in the mail yesterday. Awesome release. Katalepsy have come a long way. They aren't exactly re inventing the wheel but Autopsychosis is definitely a breath of fresh air. This is my first 2013 release and may very well end up on this year's 'Best Of' list in the end.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm 

My promo copy of this came in and wow. This is fucking disgusting! I love how the slams come out of nowhere and just overwhelm you, then back to the tech riffing.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 pm 

This shit is good. Nice variation of bone crushing slam and tech noodle riffing. How does their old stuff hold up to this one?

Reply to topic