Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 am 

Lots of people posting RIP's on his Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/davidypres

Not much of a Woods of Ypres fan, but sucks if it's true.

EDIT: Reading through the posts, there's one from his sister confirming it.

allureoftheearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:31 am 

I got an alert from a friend saying he died from a car accident outside of Barrie.
Was a really nice guy and helped me get through a lot of shit.
It just serves as a huge reminder that life is not just or fair.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:33 am 

Somewhat of a +1 post but:
R.I.P.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:24 am 

Am I the only person that thinks this is a publicity stunt and that he's really not dead? He's pulled nonsense like this before.

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:46 am 

I have died inside, never before had I been able to connect with a band so much as Woods, fuck their lyrics and everything, I felt like I was living them. They were from Ontario just like me, and I was planning on seeing them for the first time when they went on tour after the new album was released... R.I.P. David Gold

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:51 am 

Heard of, but never did listen to this band. Oh well, R.I.P.

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Am I the only person that thinks this is a publicity stunt and that he's really not dead? He's pulled nonsense like this before.

a publicity stunt like this would be well over the top, imo.

r.i.p david gold.

not a huge fan of them, but their early stuff is quite good.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm 

Evoken wrote:

Its illigal to fake your own death :/

Never was a huge fan of his music, but he was a talented musician. R.I.P

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:35 pm 

Heard about this from Cerebral Bore's post on Facebook. RIP

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:42 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Evoken wrote:

Its illigal to fake your own death :/

Never was a huge fan of his music, but he was a talented musician. R.I.P

Whatever man, it wouldnt' be the first time this has happened in connection with a metal musician..see Bellketre, Mutiilation...

Anyway, it's probably true; a bunch of my local acquaintences have been posting about it. I wonder if he'll be .."buuuriiied, in mount pleaasant cemeterrry"...I'm practically next door to it right now!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:51 pm 

Whatever man, it wouldnt' be the first time this has happened in connection with a metal musician..see Bellketre, Mutiilation...

Indeed, but those two were part of the Les Legions Noires, and those guys were kind of wacky..

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 pm 

I have nothing nice to say so I won't say anything at all.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:07 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I have nothing nice to say so I won't say anything at all.

:D
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:02 pm 

Hmm... I don't really like the direction DG had been taking the band in recently, but I really enjoy the first two releases. Had met him a few times too, didn't see this coming...

R.I.P.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:38 pm 

I've only heard the name before hearing the terrible news. But after a couple of track it seems that I'm really liking their stuff. Such a sad thing to see a young musician pass away so suddenly. RIP

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 pm 

honestly it's just another death, never liked woods of ypres, but rest in peace dude.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:17 pm 

I had to double-check, but I met the guy when he was playing drums in this band in Korea:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Necramyth/46843

He seemed nice enough, although it was hard to tell through the soju haze and crappy Korean food we were eating at the time. Looking at/meeting the guy (again, at the time) you'd never have guessed he liked metal but we did briefly talk a bit about black metal bands we liked. He definitely came across as being shy/withdrawn. That was also the night my camera got stolen at the subway station, for official record. Well, never liked his band's lyrics, although now that I know he taught Korean kids I can see why he wrote lyrics in that vein. RIP.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:51 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
I had to double-check, but I met the guy when he was playing drums in this band in Korea:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Necramyth/46843

He seemed nice enough, although it was hard to tell through the soju haze and crappy Korean food we were eating at the time. Looking at/meeting the guy (again, at the time) you'd never have guessed he liked metal but we did briefly talk a bit about black metal bands we liked. He definitely came across as being shy/withdrawn. That was also the night my camera got stolen at the subway station, for official record. Well, never liked his band's lyrics, although now that I know he taught Korean kids I can see why he wrote lyrics in that vein. RIP.

That's interesting you mentioned his connection to Korea because I interviewed him for my blog several months before leaving for Korea myself and he was very encouraging in my interest in teaching English over there. This is really a huge shame because although I wasn't a huge fan of his music, he seemed like a really cool and friendly guy. RIP.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Indeed, but those two were part of the Les Legions Noires, and those guys were kind of wacky..

Type O Negative kind of did the same thing.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:10 pm 

Didnt really like their stuff I like my black metal without the hipster/arty-farty stuff, but still a great lost to the underground metal community.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:31 pm 

Well, life is just pain and piss...it's nothing that he will miss.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:01 pm 

Not a big fan of his band but I talked to him a few times via Last f.m and he always seemed very nice and interested in the fans opinion. R.I.P.

Last.fm

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:45 pm 

:(

I know WoY can get a lot of flak around these parts, but the first two albums are amazing, bar non. I booked Woods of Ypres 3 times in Winnipeg and also saw them a 4th time, and David was a great guy to work with and a very humble person. I'm really happy to have met him and shared the stage with him 3 times.

R.I.P.

Also, it appears that his death might have been a suicide (though it still definitely could've been an accident) but the wording here is kinda vague:

"What caused the collision between a car and a pedestrian, which resulted in Gold's death, remains under investigation."
Source: http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Articl ... ?e=3415707

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:53 pm 

His music was dreadful, and I didn't really liked him as a person, but only 31 years old? Man, that's too soon for almost anyone... Requiescat in Pace, Mr Gold.

Viking_Horde
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:14 pm 

RIP David. I really loved Woods' demo and 1st full length. I thought they'd end up being in my top 5 bands someday. Their music made me explore black metal deeper, to what I have today, so I thank him for that. He really was a great musician and composer. Been listening to Pursuit of the Sun and the demo all day to honor him.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:51 pm 

conquer__all wrote:
Didnt really like their stuff I like my black metal without the hipster/arty-farty stuff, but still a great lost to the underground metal community.

Why does any band inspired by black metal that mixes something else seem to get labeled hipster 90% of the time? WOY was around making music before 'hipster' was even a term. The band never was big with the 'hipster' community anyways.... (whether they exist or not) Plus WOY weren't a black metal band. Much more of a doom metal band.

Oh well. This is pretty sad news. I will be awaiting Woods V eagerly. Enjoyed his music, and will continue to for a long time...

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:11 pm 

^The term 'hipster' has been around for about 70 years.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:32 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Oh well. This is pretty sad news. I will be awaiting Woods V eagerly.

I really doubt that WOY will continue releasing music considering that their leader and main songwriter is now, you know, dead.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:20 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
ThePoop wrote:
Oh well. This is pretty sad news. I will be awaiting Woods V eagerly.

I really doubt that WOY will continue releasing music considering that their leader and main songwriter is now, you know, dead.

Woods V has been finished recording and will be released in February.

Acidgobblin wrote:
^The term 'hipster' has been around for about 70 years.

Fair enough... I meant "hipster" as used today.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:29 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Woods V has been finished recording and will be released in February.

I take back what I said in that case. I just hope that we won't get some kind of "Kurt Cobain effect", if you catch my drift...

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:30 pm 

the term hipster can be used very openly. I always lumped this band in with that scene, you know the whole flanel shirts and bad beards crowd which is pretty much the make up of every stoner/doom/post black/neo folk whatever , sorry but I'm from the old school when it comes to the black metal so that is my reaction. I do like Agollach and WITTR but both those bands have embraced the hipster look and idealogy of hipster liberalism that just makes me want to vomit. Yeah, ok I'm still stuck in 1992!!!

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:48 pm 

conquer__all wrote:
the term hipster can be used very openly. I always lumped this band in with that scene, you know the whole flanel shirts and bad beards crowd which is pretty much the make up of every stoner/doom/post black/neo folk whatever , sorry but I'm from the old school when it comes to the black metal so that is my reaction. I do like Agollach and WITTR but both those bands have embraced the hipster look and idealogy of hipster liberalism that just makes me want to vomit. Yeah, ok I'm still stuck in 1992!!!

Haha dude are you serious?? If you think Woods of Ypres are "hipster metal" or whatever then you clearly don't have a clue. Not trying to be a jerk or anything.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:02 pm 

Sad stuff. They were a huge band for me when I was younger, loved their first two albums. Woods III and IV aren't as good, but I still like a lot of the material of them. They were one of the few bands I was 100% behind. Dave just always came across as a nice guy to me. He wrote me a personal letter once thanking me for supporting the band, and we had a few good chats on Facebook. I'll always look back fondly on him and his music.

Also, the label decided to release Woods 5 free as a digital download, but it seems the file reached it's download limit. Luckily I managed to snatch it before it went down, but haven't gotten around to listen to it yet. Maybe it's around somewhere if anyone is interested.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:26 pm 

OPP Investigating Fatal Pedestrian Accident on Hwy 400
Posted By: David Woodard [email protected] · 12/21/2011 2:51:00 PM

"The northbound lanes of Hwy 400 are blocked at 89, after a pedestrian was struck and killed.

It happened just before 2:30 p.m Wednesday, no explanation as to why the man was walking on the highway.

The southbound lanes are not being affected at this time.

Newstalk 1010 Traffic Reporter Maggie Blood says you'll want to get off Highway 400 at 88, before you reach the accident."

http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localn ... D=10329266

So it appears that David Gold WAS in fact the pedestrian in the accident. Makes me wonder even more if it was a suicide.....

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:46 pm 

Is this the band where the dude said he was ready to be done touring (or recording or something) so he could shave his beard, because he felt his beard made him more metal?

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:00 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
So it appears that David Gold WAS in fact the pedestrian in the accident. Makes me wonder even more if it was a suicide.....

not sure what to make of it, but kind of eerie perhaps that there are the lyrics "Back On the highway, under the moon, my final moments, still wondering about you..." in one of the songs on Woods V (which earache records released for people to download by the way)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:09 pm 

Did anyone catch an official statement about this situation? Earache at least has been mute for over a week...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 pm 

misogynisticfeminist wrote:
Is this the band where the dude said he was ready to be done touring (or recording or something) so he could shave his beard, because he felt his beard made him more metal?

Yes. Yes indeed.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I just hope that we won't get some kind of "Kurt Cobain effect", if you catch my drift...

:lol:

Let's not give the very mediocre music of Mr. Gold too much credit!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:59 pm 

Malthus wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
I just hope that we won't get some kind of "Kurt Cobain effect", if you catch my drift...

:lol:

Let's not give the very mediocre music of Mr. Gold too much credit!

My intention wasn't to be mean to him, but... Well, you get what I'm trying to say here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next