Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm 

Yeah, that first riff in "Buried..." is almost exactly like the one in "Fgmenth, Thy Gift". Thing is, that riff rules and sounds just different enough to where it doesn't bother me at all. Plus, the members of the band are huge fans of old Greek black metal, so I'm almost positive it's just a case of them nodding at their influences. How could they not know that song? The reason I'm pissing my pants over this is because the music is just that good to my ears. Very, very memorable songs with great riffs, awesome guitar leads, all which evoke strong feelings of triumph, sadness, or are just good and headbangable. Sure, not everyone is into this style, but I am and it's everything I expected it to be.

Now I just need Grave Upheaval, Antediluvian, Krypts, Swallowed, and Gorguts to put their albums out...this is probably the first year in a quite some time where I've been excited about a number of upcoming metal albums. Usually grindcore/hardcore/punk takes the front.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 pm 

The new Bornholm is absolutely amazing. Majestic black metal done right. They remind me of their fellow countrymen Sear Bliss, minus the trumpets. The latest Sear Bliss was a minor disappointment, (and has very shoddy album art) So I couldn't be happier with this.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm 

I understand what you mean Dragunov, although I can't seem to be enticed by the album. In all honesty I've never been an Arghoslent fan and their style really isn't my thing, but I can see some of the appeal about the Sacriphyx album. I just don't think it's an extraordinary thing, that's all. When a few of the known death metal lovers here say that something is good my expectations for it rise, and this time they just weren't met.

The Krypts album seems good but it has yet to convince me still. On one hand it nods to some specifics that I enjoy very much, but on the other it does seem to reuse them a bit too much for its own good. Further spins will give out a proper verdict.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm 

Sacriphyx doesn't really have many over the top moments of impressive brilliance, so I an see why someone could be underwhelmed by it, since its so "low key" I suppose. I for one am a sucker for deathend up heavy metal riffs with some blackish touches, but it doesn't really strive to impress much beyond that.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

It's what I get from it, it has a certain aesthetic and it sticks to it. It seems to be a band turned more towards the old stylings than the new ones, more like an old band instead of a retro band if that makes any sense at all. I seem to have felt a subtle Celtic Frost influence there but it wasn't the primary drive, which is a damn shame really.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:43 pm 

Nah, no moments of over-the-top brilliance, but I do feel the album flows near perfectly and isn't too long/short. Also, all this talk about similarities with Arghoslent makes me wish they'd do some newer stuff soon, but I know that's not going to happen. Oh well!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm 

Yep, old school but not retro at all, I find it an exciting prospect. Good, original music, nothing too exciting to blow you out of your chair, but more than good enough to get me to nod my head and enjoy myself immensely.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm 

I do believe Necrocurse's debut full-length will deliver. Old-school Swedish death metal just never gets old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A2Cax9x9FI

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 pm 

Some may say I'm bias but honestly, I just can't stop listening to this new Lantern album. It will all go to press soon but this is one great album. Very unique. Someone described them perfectly when they said you could put them on a mix tape with a bunch of old bands and they wouldn't sound out of place, at the same time they wouldn't sound like any of them.

I think this band will get many people talking.

http://youtu.be/awMk7BZuokM

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 pm 

as long as that new lantern sounds like old lantern then I'll be happy. I liked the song linked. I listened to that the other day.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
as long as that new lantern sounds like old lantern then I'll be happy. I liked the song linked. I listened to that the other day.

Yeah, the sound is definitely an extension of the EP but I think the direction is more focused. The album is not a compilation of songs but rather one entity. I've listened to it in its entirety at least once a day for the last three weeks.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 am 

I love Lanterns demos, I'm super excited about the full length, defintely one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 am 

Very nice. then I shouldn't be disappointed.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:41 am 

How's the new Derketa album shaping up? I wasn't even aware of it. I knew they reformed, but I had no idea an album was on the way until I saw it on the site earlier today.

Edit: Wow, it was actually released in 2012. That's my bad. Disregard this.

Last edited by BloodSacrificeShaman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:19 am 

Lantern album? :hyper: :headbang: :metal:

Fuck yes! This will go on to my must buy list as soon as it drops. Oh yeah.

EDIT: That Lantern track is fucking awesome, even more hungry for the album's release now. Is it also too early to ask for another Binah release?

My collection

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:57 am 

Well, I'll be adding Lantern's album to my list. :headbang:

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:07 pm 

http://valdrin.bandcamp.com/

Valdrin - Beyond The Forest

Shameless plug for a friends band and I say shameless because it really is worth hearing, especially for a band that's so under the radar. He's the main songwriter of the band and just turned 21, but you wouldn't know it from the overall presentation here. The entire album is up on their band camp and generally I'd say its Dissection worship but at times has much greater sense of atmosphere via the synth that's employed, sometimes reminiscent perhaps of In The Nightside Eclipse era Emperor. I've only had one straight through listen of it but I found that it got stronger as it went along and generally is a pretty lengthy album with a lot of interesting material. An impressive debut by almost any standard for a band so young and really, skys the limit for them, I think, if they continue progressing.

As I alluded to, I haven't fully digested it myself, but a few noteworthy standouts for me were "Impaled Visions...", "In The Vortex of Time..", and "Darkness as Black as Evil"

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:07 pm 

I'm already in Hate 'Solarflesh' and looking forward to:

Suffocation 'Pinnacle of bedlam'
Krypts 'Unending degradation' (finnish ancient death metal, Dark Descent Records)
Six Feet Under 'Unborn'

"You make it easy."

frank_zito
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:10 pm 

i will be shocked if anything could actually top henbane this year

i'm really interested in giving the new sacriphyx a listen

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 am 

*If you're in search of brutality without any slamming parts or gurgling vocals/pig squeals;
*If you want brutal death the way it meant to be (fast, furious, aggressive);
*If you want to suffer under a cannon bombardment;
*If you want your soul torn down;

then you absolutely must listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjxVNKZArTc

LOGIC OF DENIAL 'ATONEMENT' new album out february on Comatose Music

"You make it easy."

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 am 

A couple absolute must-listens:

Magic Circle - Magic Circle

Very NWOBHM-y trad/epic doom with some fantastic riffs. Best part about it is the vocal delivery, which is powerful and emotive in a way that a lot of metal vocalists wish they were. Fans of Pagan Altar, Hour of 13, The Lamp of Thoth etc. will be very, very impressed. For anyone who's into hardcore, this band features members of The Rival Mob, Mind Eraser, and Doomriders.

Supuration - CU3E

This leaked either today or earlier in the week. If you've never heard Supuration, it's very odd, proggy death metal with a strong sense of melody; this album in particular has a strong Swedeath vibe to it. If you're already familiar with Supuration, then you know what to expect and you should be very, very happy with this album; I've only listened to it twice but it's blown my mind both times. Some unbelievable riffs to be found here.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 am 

The new Guttural Secrete album (brutal death metal) is very good, though not as good as their debut.

Guttural Secrete - Nourishing the Spoil
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCb8X5T_E0

Last edited by Megadeth on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 am 

I need to check out the entire new Guttural Secrete. I really enjoyed the clean guitar and the more chordy riffs on "Deadened Prior To Coitus", do these riffs appear more often on the album?

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 pm 

Primitive Man's debut is outrageously good.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

I'm expecting a new album from The Crown this year. They announced that they entered the studio around early January and I can't be more excited, especially with the return of Johan Lindstrand :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 am 

So far this year...

Corpus Mortale - Fleshcraft
Koldbrann - Vertigo
Cult of Luna - Vertikal

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm 

That Sacriphyx album is quite bland. I've tried that new Supuration album and have to say that except miraculously good Incubation album all the rest leaves me totally indifferent.
Unending degradation is quite enjoyable album, however not as much as current Vorum.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm 

I've listened to Krypts a fair owd bit, Finnish death metal just the way I want it, dark, murky and unutterably, cavernously heavy. Blows their (excellent) EP out of the water, although it is doomed to be unimpressive to those not enamoured of the OSDM wave of the last few years.

I was just tipped off about Caladan Brood by my brother, purely because their lyrical content and aesthetic draws on my very favourite fantasy series of all time, The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Long story short, this is Summoning, but much better, and I honestly can't stop listening to it. For anyone on this thread who has read those books, CB also do an admirable job of invoking some of the same atmospheres and moods Erikson and Esslemont do.

I'm looking forward to the new Trail of Tears record too and based on the advance song it should be a good 'un, though it seems Ronny Thorsen has just been effectively booted out of the band after apparently being a total shit to his bandmates for, well, ever.

Couple of good air guitar moments on the new albums by Omnium Gatherum and Eternal Tears of Sorrow 'n all... Finnish chart metal, you can't beat it, which reminds me a new Amorphis is just around the corner :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 pm 

Trail Of Tears are releasing another album? Boy, are they perseverant or what?! :p

The new Krypts is bound to be deemed unimpressive not only by those dismayed by the retro-OSDM scene but also by those who have a good knowledge of the old Finnish scene. The album is decent but it's pretty much playing it safe and not taking any risks. There's better in both the retro and the original scenes.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm 

sushiman wrote:
I've listened to Krypts a fair owd bit, Finnish death metal just the way I want it, dark, murky and unutterably, cavernously heavy. Blows their (excellent) EP out of the water, although it is doomed to be unimpressive to those not enamoured of the OSDM wave of the last few years.

+1

"You make it easy."

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm 

Yeah, Oscillation, announced a few months ago. Ronny Thorsen was already out by that time apparently. Yes they do have a certain... Bloodstained Endurance? Sorry.

Aye there is better than Krypts to be found, but it sates a certain thirst where I'm concerned. Not quite up to scratch with the likes of Dead Congregation, Disma, Ignivomous, and hopefully future 2013 releases, but a decent squishing into the death metal muck I reckon.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm 

Torture Killer 'Phobia'

"You make it easy."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Yeah, Oscillation, announced a few months ago. Ronny Thorsen was already out by that time apparently. Yes they do have a certain... Bloodstained Endurance? Sorry.

You couldn't resist that could you? :p

Personally I enjoyed A New Dimension Of Might a great deal, and even today I can spin that album and thoroughly enjoy it. The first two are too much like Tristania (which I've never enjoyed much) and Helena's vocals aren't my thing. The past decade has been so bad though, that's why I thought to myself "What, another one?". :D

Krypts is bound to please and bore in equal quantities I reckon. I like the aesthetic and the atmosphere but I find that it lacks a more dynamic spine and some better riffs. It's morbid sounding though, and I would've enjoyed it much more if it had a more varied sound.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:37 pm 

The Sacriphyx and Cult of Luna are sounding pretty decent so far, but I'll have to give them some more time before I'm completely sure how I feel about them.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm 

I've got Krypts on my to check out list snce I remember the preview trak being better than most, we'll see if I'm one of the ones who'll dismiss it overall or if I've had a new OSDM second wind after last years multitude of great releases from the style.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:30 pm 

I thought Krypts was fine, but it was generic DDR OSDM, nothing new or extraordinary.

I checked the new Witchrist today NOW we're talking. Dirty black/death with some doom and some celtifrosticism, awesome album art too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm 

androdion wrote:
sushiman wrote:

Personally I enjoyed A New Dimension Of Might a great deal, and even today I can spin that album and thoroughly enjoy it.

Yes, they never quite hit the same level of unbridled aggression again. That album is the one really distinctive one by the band, purely because it was chaotic, it was angry, and it was very fast and quite weird in its sound, far from the usual gothic moroseness of similiar bands. However, if you didn't like the past two, from the sounds of it Oscillation will be another letdown, though I may always be wrong. I enjoyed those two though so I'm stoked. And Cathrine Paulsen is a pretty cracking singer in my opinion, huge pipes that girl has.

Metantoine, if you haven't, check out the debut by Witchrist as well. A little more dingy and dark than the current release, with the band members' roots in Diocletian showing through in places too.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:10 am 

I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but Funeralium's Decieved Idealism is shaping up to be a ripper, I'd forgotten how goddamned morbid an ending 21st Century Ineptia has, one of the more affecting changes up in music I've experienced for a while. It'll likely be a tad overlong when taken in one sitting, since they were never the best plodders around, but the first disc is full of good riffs, heaviness and enough of that thump a chord and screech stuff that I like so much.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:57 am 

New Aeternus disc next month. Looking forward to it. Vader releases something every two years like clockwork so they'll be sure to have a new album out that will rule because Vader rule. New Absu and hopefully a full length Divine Eve.
Talk of new a new My Dying Bride EP as well.

All of the above will keep me entertained......for better or worse.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

gravemaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:03 am 

Skineater's debut release Dermal Harvest is great

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next