Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:32 am 

Sounds decent enough but didn't God Is Dead? have this exact same structure? Hoping it has more variety than the pre-released songs are suggesting.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:21 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Sounds decent enough but didn't God Is Dead? have this exact same structure? Hoping it has more variety than the pre-released songs are suggesting.

I read a song by song review a little while ago that suggested other tracks are very different. Can't locate it right now, sorry.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:14 am 

And my hype rise exponentially after listening of 'End of the Beginning' album version. I think it's a bit like the masterpiece 'Hand Of Doom' and this makes me very excited.

Event of the decade?

"You make it easy."

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:27 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
And my hype rise exponentially after listening of 'End of the Beginning' album version. I think it's a bit like the masterpiece 'Hand Of Doom' and this makes me very excited.

Event of the decade?

More like forgotten in a year.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 am 

Again, this feels like they picked a very well known old song and used it as a template for a new one instead truly composing songs that came from fresh ideas. Looks like Rubin's directives are totally clear: write today a follow up to your debut. They tried exactly that. Lame.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:07 am 

This song's pretty cool! Looking forward to the new album even more now!

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 am 

I have to agree, it's good, but it sounds a little like the last one. Again, I have a feeling they're consciously going to abuse the "doom" formula and make these super long epic tracks just for the sake of sounding doomy, as if they were trying to abandon their blues and hard rock roots. That and the overproduction doesn't help at all here.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:19 pm 

Ozzy sounds dumb... Do I detect a bit of Black LabeL Society in the riff when the momentum increases a bit in the middle of the track ?

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 pm 

Ozzy sounds good 70% of the time or so in that song. The "Alright, Okay" at the end of the song sounds SO lifeless, but in half of that verse he actually sounds like he's putting some force into it. He should have drawn out the words a bit more or something and ended it on a high note, but whatever. Overall, cool song. Humorously, the intro the guy talked over could probably just be scrapped.

EDIT: Also, the "IS. THIS. THE. END. OF. THE. BEGINNING? OR. THE. BEGINNING. OF. THE. END?" is annoying. Could he really not string the words together with a bit more melody or excitement?
Hehe, foreskins.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:02 pm 

Ahem...

http://blackgammon.bandcamp.com/track/e ... eginning-2

Anyone remember Sunn ■]]]?

DeepThroatMaria
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 am 

A bad side and a good side news of the famous Black Sabbath band.. Excited for this New Album Hail OZzyy

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 pm 

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/black- ... -right-now

It's currently streaming, I'm gonna wait for a leak myself ;) As I'm obsessed by scrobbling.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 pm 

Loner, Zeitgeist, and Damaged Soul are all fantastic. The rest are very good, but will take some time to grow on me.

Crick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

Its hilarious when the autotune suddenly explodes over Ozzy's voice. Its like, normal singing for 3 minutes, he yells and all of a sudden its drenched in electronic warble.

EDIT: Done streaming, that was mostly a big load of meh.
Hehe, foreskins.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 pm 

People who dislike it for being derivative of their early work are lunatics.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:22 pm 

Leaked!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm 

King_Hands wrote:

I think we can safely tell our opinions without insulting anyone, eh?

Crick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:41 pm 

It's not even so much that its derivative of their early works. Its that its... The same god damned type of song, multiple times over, with very similar sounding everything, and Ozzy still can't sing.

Except for at the start of the album. Seriously, for half of End of the Beginning the dude sounds like he did on Electric Funeral, if a bit more old-man-y, though in a good way! Then for the rest of the thing he sounds like he's doing his usual old man yell and reading off the lyrics sheet. It must have cost a dump truck full of cocaine for them to afford a guest appearance by old Ozzy.
Hehe, foreskins.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 am 

When this project was announced, I had very low expectations. Even worse after it became clear Ward was not involved.

I've listened to the whole album and while it's not great, it's a bit better than what I expected. Obviously, they said from the start it would be some kind of reminiscing trip and that's exactly what it is. Unfortunately, the main ingredient of Sabbath other than heaviness and gloom is the wild, adventurous edge. This album tries to follow the template of the old albums but doesn't have that edge at all. Not in the songwriting, performances or production. It feels a bit safe.

But this is still WAY better than Psycho Man and the shit they tried to pull off when they reunited in the 90s, so I suppose this can be considered mission accomplished considering at what stage of their career they are and the fact this isn't a real Black Sabbath reunion anymore. So I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 am 

"Zeitgeist" just hit...on the one hand I'm glad it's not all a big jumble of stoner-worshiping history-rewriting with nothing but the heavy doomy tracks, and that they did put in an acoustic ballad. On the other hand a song like this doesn't work when your singer sounds like he's getting his nuts crushed by an elephant. Shame because the melodies aren't bad or anything.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 am 

The only song that's available right now is God Is Dead. Was the full stream already removed?
EDIT: Nevermind, found it, listening now...

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:50 am 

Empyreal wrote:
"Zeitgeist" just hit...on the one hand I'm glad it's not all a big jumble of stoner-worshiping history-rewriting with nothing but the heavy doomy tracks, and that they did put in an acoustic ballad. On the other hand a song like this doesn't work when your singer sounds like he's getting his nuts crushed by an elephant. Shame because the melodies aren't bad or anything.

Zeitgeist is basically Planet Caravan, played by tired Black Sabbath.

Really, the whole album sounds a bit like a Black Sabbath tribute band who didn't quite have the right fit for a vocalist and couldn't find a good enough drummer. In regards to the drumming actually, what's up with Tony? Does he seriously play the old Sabbath songs live with all the awesome, creative and busy drumming and think "Man, this shit needs to be simplified."

Though I still think God Is Dead? and End of the Beginning may actually be the strongest material on here. It's no wonder they were the two songs they played first. Hell, it's no wonder God Is Dead? is the single. It's like, the best song.
Hehe, foreskins.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:39 am 

The album lacks punch. Is a lazy cash grabbing effort. Supremely poor song writing skills. Iommi has come up with a few good sections, Ozzy sucks, and what do you know, the production is actually good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 am 

This isn't BAD or anything. Maybe 50-60% material at best. I like it for Iommi's riffs. But at the same time it's hard to really say it's good, since this has all been done before by the guys in the past, and with better vocal hooks and song ideas, too. The first two songs were the best ones. But even for as uncatchy as the other songs can get they usually have some great riffing - "Live Forever" kicks up some dust and "Dear Father" is nice and doomy as hell.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:57 am 

It's all a blatant rehash, that's still the main issue, here, before Ozzy's poor vocals (which, as mentioned before, turned out less sucky than expected, with all the autotune and studio GarageBand tricks applied on Rick Rubin's iMac). Tony is so far removed from the mindset he had when he came up with those early 70s riffs, he's incapable of composing new ones in the same style, even as an assignment, which it clearly was. So instead he did the "next best thing", that is, he took an actual old riff or idea as the starting point of each new song, and tried (emphasis on tried) to toy around with it until it became something new and unrecognizable, while still sounding familiar. Of course, it doesn't help that the rest of the band and the "studio" around him were not exactly inspiring either, that he's old and was recovering from cancer when he had to write these. Still the result sounds forced, flat and uninspired, and the best recommended use for this album is as a basis for a "find the original riff" quiz. Too bad, I played that game far too many times to be excited about this release.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 am 

It really is a shame. They were a band known for breaking ground and crafting original, never-heard-before sounds, and even in the Tony Martin years they were still reinventing themselves and trying to stay current. Hell, even TDYK, even though it didn't exactly break ground, sounded like a modern, relevant and HEAVY AS FUCK band, and the songs were all instantly memorable. Now we just get a blatant, boldfaced 'back to the roots' attempt that flies directly in the face of all that innovation.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 am 

I think part of the reason why Iommi's riffs in the first couple of albums are so killer (let's face it: even though the Dio albums are very good, Iommi's best riffs are on the first couple of Sabbath albums) is that the albums are shrouded in such a unique atmosphere that's impossible to replicate with modern, clinical studio routines. Not to mention that the sheer abundance of diverse, musically innovative material placed all around Iommi's doom/heavy metal riffs make the riffs themselves stand out. The Sword proves that just milking the fuck out of bluesy metal riffs and nothing else gets extremely boring. There was so much more to iommi's riffs than just power chords in a pentatonic/blues scale, besides.

Much of it probably has to do with spontaneity and fearless creativity. They were willing to cross their comfort zone and take the risk of creating music that might fail and sound terrible.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
It's all a blatant rehash, that's still the main issue, here, before Ozzy's poor vocals (which, as mentioned before, turned out less sucky than expected, with all the autotune and studio GarageBand tricks applied on Rick Rubin's iMac).

:lol:

Pretty much what I think. You know, I was hoping they'd go for a really dirty live feel but maybe this was a "be careful what you wish for" proposition because after watching live songs from this tour, it's quite obvious Ozzy has declined even further. I know people have mixed opinions on Rubin but can you imagine what a clusterfuck this must have been in studio? A drug-relapsing Ozzy trying to create vocal melodies and sing them at this stage.

LegendMaker wrote:
Tony is so far removed from the mindset he had when he came up with those early 70s riffs, he's incapable of composing new ones in the same style, even as an assignment, which it clearly was. So instead he did the "next best thing", that is, he took an actual old riff or idea as the starting point of each new song, and tried (emphasis on tried) to toy around with it until it became something new and unrecognizable, while still sounding familiar. Of course, it doesn't help that the rest of the band and the "studio" around him were not exactly inspiring either, that he's old and was recovering from cancer when he had to write these. Still the result sounds forced, flat and uninspired, and the best recommended use for this album is as a basis for a "find the original riff" quiz. Too bad, I played that game far too many times to be excited about this release.

I'm liking some of the songs. The last two tracks in particular, Damaged Soul (which features my favorite Ozzy vocals on this album) and Dear Father are kind of cool. But I can't totally disagree with any of this. To be honest, I think Iommi's main problem is being too self-conscious of his legacy rather than old age or illness. It's like he's over-thinking things.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 am 

If there's one thing I can say, it's that I'm surprised that they managed to make Ozzy not sound like a cyborg this time. There is clearly a ton of vocal effects on his voice, but it's not nearly as jarring as I expected.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am 

I'd like to add that I thought the 2 songs Iommi did with Gillan on WhoCares were god damn awesome....so I see no reason to blame Tony for overthinking anything in the songwriting dept.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 pm 

You know, while I agree that there are some damn cool riffs to be found in this thing, that doesn't mean much in the end. Even the worst stuff ever released with Iommi's name on it has some good riffing here and there. As pointed out by basically everyone else, 13 is just a lazy, blatant rehash of existent (not to mention better) material, and not truly worth my time. Honestly? I'd much rather listen to a new collaboration between Iommi and Glenn Hughes, especially because the latter can still fucking sing.

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:16 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
If there's one thing I can say, it's that I'm surprised that they managed to make Ozzy not sound like a cyborg this time. There is clearly a ton of vocal effects on his voice, but it's not nearly as jarring as I expected.

Im actually not totally sure which parts are sung naturally and which parts are subtly tweaked and autotuned. The part we heard him recording in the studio video actually sounds exactly like it did in the video, so it might mostly be him actually trying to stay in tune. However, his yells are still hilariously effect laden for no real reason (though I like how it sounds).
Hehe, foreskins.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Honestly? I'd much rather listen to a new collaboration between Iommi and Glenn Hughes, especially because the latter can still fucking sing.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Still going on the record saying that collaborating with Gillan or Halford would also be pretty awesome.

From what I listened to earlier today, this album will probably end up being a grower. I really think End of the Beginning should've been the last song on the album and Zeitgeist didn't quite grab me though I get what it's trying to do. On the other end, Age of Reason and Dear Father are some of my early favorites and God Is Dead? holds up pretty well in the album's overall context.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:39 pm 

I find it extremely bland in comparison to the past 30 years of doom bands they've inspired. I am glad I heard it on Itunes for free, I will most certainly not be buying this. I'd rather see a Born Again reunion than this.

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm 

The songs I do like off this Im actually liking quite a lot. I keep going back to those songs and enjoying them. Hell, even Ozzy's endearing enough. Dude put in some honest work. This is still by no means on the level of their past works, but its Black Sabbath. Even their average stuff is going to be enjoyable. I think I'm out now.
Hehe, foreskins.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 am 

So boring and inane, I stopped the album after the 4th song. Fuck that, old farts doing that for the $$$$ The riffs were written for Osbourne's voice, I guess, so yeah, they're lifeless, slow and lame.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 am 

Metantoine wrote:
, old farts doing that for the $$$$

I disagree, I think they all three know they're in the final stage of their Black Sabbath career, they're just putting out music because they feel the fans want it (it's not like they're gonna get millionaires from album sales in 2013), also, it's been years Iommi had songs floating around in his head that he felt he needed to release them under the Black Sabbath name. And then there's the fact that they ended (discography-wise) with a 'bad' note in 1995. I think they just want to close the circle in a Black Sabbath worthy manner... To be honest I hope many more albums will follow. I wouldn't be surprised if the death of Dio actually triggered the urge to continue releasing new music, because it shows once again that we're not all gonna live forever and since there is no way to bypass this, better to give it one final (or multiple) kick(s) up the ass.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 am 

Metantoine wrote:
King_Hands wrote:

I think we can safely tell our opinions without insulting anyone, eh?

In what foreign language do you speak ? Such things do not exist in t3h metulz world

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 am 

Couldn't they have at least tried to make the main riff for Loner not sound just like a rehash of N.I.B? All this album does is make me want to listen to the 70's songs that this album is rehashing.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:46 am 

I'm glad to see many sharing my thoughts. It's a sad day, when Iommi stopped to play whatever the fuck he wanted and made a tribute to his own ol' self.

Still, your average Sabbath fan will hail it has the typical 'mighty comeback'. I guess when you're out in the desert, everything is good to quench your thirst.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next