* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

*bump*

Inside the Black Sabbath studio.

Unfortunately, no teasers or samples of the new album...just talk and hype-building.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 pm 

Is it me or does Geezer sound a lot like Alan Rickman? Cracks me up every time.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 pm 

First time I actually hear Geezer talk, and yeah, his accent surprised me a little bit.

"The pioneers of rock are back"? Uh-huh. So, where's that 1939 album I wasn't kept in the loop about?! :rolleyes:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 pm 

If you hadn't heard Geezer speak that probably means you haven't seen the mini-doc about the making of Paranoid. It's on Netflix, do yourselves a favor and check it out. There's some really cool shit for the fanatics, they have the original producer in the studio with master tapes and guide vocal tracks just playing around. And interviews with all the original members, fairly in-depth stuff.

Just search Black Sabbath if you have Netflix, you won't regret it.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 am 

"Technology's more important to us in the writing process. It's so much easier now to use Pro Tools."

Great...

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 am 

I like how Geezer and Iommi are still articulate and Ozzy is basically a mumbling mummy.
Hehe, foreskins.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 am 

I personally think the album is going to be fine. Iommi and Geezer seem happy with it, and there's apparently two 8+ minute songs on there, which intrigues me.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:16 am 

I am I imagining things, or does Iommi look fitter and healthier than he has in a long time? It's either that or I'm reading too much into a different hairstyle and a hat.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 am 

IdiotFlesh wrote:
"Technology's more important to us in the writing process. It's so much easier now to use Pro Tools."

Great...

Yeah, I cringed at that part too, not to mention all the images from the studio and the "Death Magnetic sessions" vibe it conveyed. I'm not sure how much of it is Rubin's fault, if any, but there's definitely a massive contradiction there. "Imagine it's 1970 again, and you're doing your second album" does not go well at all with "here's Pro Tools, and me in my shorts goofing around as you guys record your parts one at a time instead of live and with a sense of urgency as you did 40 years ago".

@Jonpo: Sounds interesting, thanks! I'll look it up.

ENKC wrote:
I am I imagining things, or does Iommi look fitter and healthier than he has in a long time? It's either that or I'm reading too much into a different hairstyle and a hat.

The word you're looking for is "chemotherapy" and I'm afraid there's nothing healthy about it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 am 

Well that was a pretty useless video, they could have at least given us like 5 seconds of new music. Those teases.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:34 am 

Geezer's accent is fairly typical Brummie, to be honest. Not too super strong, I guess.

Yeah, a teaser with no music is a fucking stupid idea.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:29 am 

^ Yup and it's becoming a degenerative trend from 'music videos' to 'lyric videos' to '30 second trailers of music videos' to 'documentary-ish videos with no sample music'. But anyway, since it's a band like Black Sabbath where people are always curious to know what is going on behind those walls, it's still something better than nothing.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Yeah, I cringed at that part too, not to mention all the images from the studio and the "Death Magnetic sessions" vibe it conveyed. I'm not sure how much of it is Rubin's fault, if any, but there's definitely a massive contradiction there. "Imagine it's 1970 again, and you're doing your second album" does not go well at all with "here's Pro Tools, and me in my shorts goofing around as you guys record your parts one at a time instead of live and with a sense of urgency as you did 40 years ago".

:lol:

I laughed hard at the last part :p

Still, I think people are pointing a little too much at Rick Rubin. If there's one thing the guys in Sabbath never valued very much, it's their own legacy. They've taken dumps on their own name many times, there's been lineup changes many times that just don't make any sense. They've tried to keep up with the times since the 80s (technology-wise, sound-wise and stylistically), seemingly unaware that they didn't have to because they were the ultimate trendsetters.

Realistically, in the process of creating a genuine Black Sabbath album, Brad Wilk wouldn't even be allowed to bring coffee, much less drum on a fucking Sabbath record! That piece of shit would be shot if he appeared anywhere in the studio. That right there tells you not to get your hopes up.

Concerning technology: Tony Iommi has used all sorts of tech over the year. Geezer's solo work points to a guy who is fascinated by technology. Ozzy has some of the most overproduced albums. So much so that the last several ones aren't even metal in any shape or form. It's just teenage pop music with guitar distortion.

But I understand your sentiment and I agree with it. In an ideal world, these guys would have loaded some basic gear, flown to an old remote studio somewhere in the world and given themselves 2 weeks to create music and record an album, without messing around for perfection. Just raw performances of songs created virtually on the spot.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 pm 

Forget the whole "Imagine it's 1970 again, and you're doing your second album!" vibe. Surely he should have said "Imagine it's 1976 and you're doing a PROPER follow up to Sabotage!"

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 am 

Subrick wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
There is no way it will be anything close to as good as HH's The Devil You Know.

Did anyone even for a nanosecond think it would?

This.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 am 

I just want to know if Ozzy will sing at all differently for this album.
Hehe, foreskins.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 am 

Tornado wrote:
Forget the whole "Imagine it's 1970 again, and you're doing your second album!" vibe. Surely he should have said "Imagine it's 1976 and you're doing a PROPER follow up to Sabotage!"

They're just putting some positive spin on the whole thing. I mean facing the actual reality of the matter might be quite bleak: "It's 2013, it's well past your bedtime and you've just hired the drummer from Rage Against the Machine!"

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 am 

Crick wrote:
I just want to know if Ozzy will sing at all differently for this album.

No.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 am 

I think Iommi will provide (some) great riffs and Geezer will do his thing too, but I'm positive that Ozzy will ruin every posible enjoyable moment of the music. Wilk as drummer might sound terrible, but maybe he'll do the same that Appice did: to play over Tony's programmed drums.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 am 

Riffs wrote:
But I understand your sentiment and I agree with it. In an ideal world, these guys would have loaded some basic gear, flown to an old remote studio somewhere in the world and given themselves 2 weeks to create music and record an album, without messing around for perfection. Just raw performances of songs created virtually on the spot.

Exactly. No amount of wanking with "technology" or "modern science" is going to get them any closer to sounding like Sabbath once more, let alone early Sabbath.

On a side note, it just hit me: the working title may actually just be '13 as in "2013".

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Riffs wrote:

Exactly. No amount of wanking with "technology" or "modern science" is going to get them any closer to sounding like Sabbath once more, let alone early Sabbath.

On a side note, it just hit me: the working title may actually just be '13 as in "2013".

I was thinking it's because 13 is considered an unlucky number.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 pm 

*bump*

Some teasers of new material in this video. The lyrics/tempo of the track at 0:33 sounds very sing-along and catchy.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm 

shouvince wrote:

Some teasers of new material in this video. The lyrics/tempo of the track at 0:33 sounds very sing-along and catchy.

Sounds more varied than the monotonous The Devil You Know, thank God!

Also, as much of a complete pussy Brad Wilk is, he is still already an improvement over Vinnie "I suck the energy out of any room I am in just by breathing" Appice, so there's that too.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:09 pm 

Oh, for fuck's sake, Riffs. Vinnie Appice played on fuckin' Mob Rules, whereas Brad Wilk is drummer in Rage Against the Machine... nuff said. And apparently, Iommi programmed all the parts on The Devil You Know, which explains the sub par drum performance.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:22 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Oh, for fuck's sake, Riffs. Vinnie Appice played on fuckin' Mob Rules, whereas Brad Wilk is drummer in Rage Against the Machine... nuff said. And apparently, Iommi programmed all the parts on The Devil You Know, which explains the sub par drum performance.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but I suppose you are comparing credentials?

I realize Appice has been part of classic heavy metal albums and is familiar with the guys. However, past credentials can only get you so far. Appice has never been that good and the last time he was remotely average was in the 80s. This guy has sucked for over two decades.

Doesn't matter anyway. I'm satisfied that in a few small snippets, Wilk is already showing to be an improvement over Appice. I would have preferred someone else but I'll take the upgrade, even if RAtM sucks ass.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:37 pm 

Rick Rubin looks like a summertime santa

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

Those shots of Rubin dicking around in the control room are really cringeworthy. Could he have at least combed his hair before he did interviews? I know it's a minor thing, but it looks like he just woke up there.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 pm 

Riffs wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but I suppose you are comparing credentials?

I realize Appice has been part of classic heavy metal albums and is familiar with the guys. However, past credentials can only get you so far. Appice has never been that good and the last time he was remotely average was in the 80s. This guy has sucked for over two decades.

Doesn't matter anyway. I'm satisfied that in a few small snippets, Wilk is already showing to be an improvement over Appice. I would have preferred someone else but I'll take the upgrade, even if RAtM sucks ass.

Well, then it's even better that RAtM doesn't suck ass, huh... :D

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:51 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Those shots of Rubin dicking around in the control room are really cringeworthy. Could he have at least combed his hair before he did interviews? I know it's a minor thing, but it looks like he just woke up there.

I'm afraid it's part of the character. The dude is an eccentric and not reputed to be all that concerned with fashion or hygiene.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:51 pm 

Peroy wrote:
Well, then it's even better that RAtM doesn't suck ass, huh... :D

Heretic!!! :-D

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm 

That new teaser certainly was more teasing than the previous one (although yeah, Rubin's dress code and body language would be more fitting on a sexy female cheerleader than on a hairy old fart, and that's unpleasant to look at). At least there are a few seconds of actual new music thrown in, even if they still use the propaganda gimmick of mostly using the classic 70s material as soundtrack, no doubt in an effort to mindfuck the audience into associating the upcoming album with it. Ozzy sounded far less shitty than the last time I heard him, and Wilk seems to be doing an honest job. The couple of partial riffs we got to hear sounded very nostalgia-inducing and quite good in and of themselves. Still not confident, but this is closer to a spark of hope than what they had given us so far.

Riffs wrote:

Riffs, man, are you for real? I'm not sure what material you heard with Appice's actual drumming during the past two decades. The latest studio thing I have heard with him actually drumming was 'Angry Machines' in 1996, and although I don't like the music itself, his drumming was still great (not quite flashy or technical, but instantly recognizable and with a great feel). As ANA pointed out, Appice is hardly responsible for the drumming on TDYK (this was either some programming as ANA says, or Iommi and Butler just fed Appice specific drum parts to play in a specific way, AC/DC style; I heard it both ways). As far as I'm concerned, Vinnie Appice is the best drummer Dio ever worked with, and the list includes Cozy Powell and Bill Ward. "Remotely average" (what does that even mean) in the 80s? Try strictly awesome and spectacularly emotional instead. And again, I'm not aware of recent albums actually featuring him, but live he was more than in fine shape fairly recently.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:00 pm 

Whats the song at 1:25?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 pm 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20130313

Release date has been announced as June 11th.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 pm 

I'm fucking stoked after that new clip. I don't care; I want to be able to pick up a new Black Sabbath album!

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Whats the song at 1:25?

Megalomania, from the Sabotage album.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Riffs, man, are you for real? I'm not sure what material you heard with Appice's actual drumming during the past two decades. The latest studio thing I have heard with him actually drumming was 'Angry Machines' in 1996, and although I don't like the music itself, his drumming was still great (not quite flashy or technical, but instantly recognizable and with a great feel). As ANA pointed out, Appice is hardly responsible for the drumming on TDYK (this was either some programming as ANA says, or Iommi and Butler just fed Appice specific drum parts to play in a specific way, AC/DC style; I heard it both ways). As far as I'm concerned, Vinnie Appice is the best drummer Dio ever worked with, and the list includes Cozy Powell and Bill Ward. "Remotely average" (what does that even mean) in the 80s? Try strictly awesome and spectacularly emotional instead. And again, I'm not aware of recent albums actually featuring him, but live he was more than in fine shape fairly recently.

Yes, as I said in some other thread, I think the two first Dio records are his best work and I can't complain about Mob Rules either. But past that, it's a steep decline, man. The next few Dio albums are average at best. Then everything he did in the 90s was uninspired. Angry Machines is actually a little better than the terrible Strange Highways but not much. The guy is getting stiffer and stiffer and lost his creativity and heart somewhere in the 80s.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:49 pm 

New clip sounded pretty groovy from what little I can gather. As for Appice, Kill Devil Hill is pretty solid.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 pm 

Appice was quite good on Kill Devil Hill. As long as it's slow or mid-paced and he has time to write his beats he's a very solid drummer IMO if not spectacular.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 pm 

Are they really sticking with that album title? Lame. Teaser was interesting, now let's hear a song.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:32 am 

Wow, can you believe it? Looks like the drumming really wont suck after all, if that clip was an indicator of anything.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next