Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Megadeth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm 

I got inspired from another thread and decided to create an RSS feed with upcoming heavy metal releases.

You can the link to the feed here: http://bruble.com/metal/upcoming/

What it shows
The feed shows all releases registered at the time of posting to be released the current week. Some albums will be selected to be shown with cover artwork at the top. This will be the "highlights" from this weeks releases (based on the bands' discography). Maybe 20-25% of all. All are also shown further down, but in a simple list, without album covers.

The data is fetched from MA.

How are the highlights selected
The highlights are currently selected based on the size of the discography and the amount of and sum of reviews.

Artists are not considered for considering which band will be highlighted, so new bands of famous artists or bands with name change might excluded from this section.

There will be many "highlights" each week.

When it updates
A new post will be published every Monday. The post will contain releases from that week, from the current day up to and including Sunday.

Issues
Only releases added by the Monday will be shown. Since many albums aren't added until the release date (and some after) there will be some releases missing. The most important/popular releases will most likely be added in good time, though.

Releases without exact release date will currently be added to the first of the month. "January 2013" will be shown as "January 1st 2013". Therefor many releases will be shown on January 1st, February 1st, etc.

Feedback and suggestions
If you have any feedback or suggestions feel free to post here. I made it mostly for myself, but the more that uses it, the better.

Example
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Megadeth on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borech
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:10 pm 

Hey man, this is great! Just found your feed, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Hope you'll keep updating it \../

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 pm 

I absolutely love this. If I know a bad I like has something coming out I usually write it down in my computer's calendar but I still end up missing stuff. I use Brief as an RSS feed reader and it worked wonderfully with it when I just tried a minute or so ago. This also alerted me to the new Otargos, which I had forgotten about. Excellent work.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:02 pm 

Stupid question: what the hell is an RSS?

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:48 pm 

I'm sure someone can explain it better, but its a web feed. So instead of me going to each metal website I like individually I click my RSS reader (which is now Brief, a firefox extensions, since google reader died) and right now it says there are 34 new posts/reviews/etc. from the websites I follow and all the posts show up there as a list. If it looks good I can click on it and it gets marked as read and opens in a new tab, if it looks like I'll pass I can just mark it as read myself. Now with this thing I will also be able to see what new releases are out really quick as well. Super convenient and easy way to organize stuff. I highly recommend getting into it.

inhumanist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:28 pm 

Wow, finally! How didn't I notice thread back in January? Thanks OP! This has been on the MA to do list for ages. When I tried to create one using some automated online service it didn't work due to the website architecture of MA. This is super useful to me. And I love the layout!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Megadeth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:57 pm 

Cool that someone eventually found it useful, even though it took 9 months :P Maybe this bump will get a couple more subscribers.

Does anyone have any objections against listing all kinds of releases as "highlights"? Would you have preferred just full-lengths, demo's and EP's for example, and only show singles, live albums, compilations, DVD's, etc. in the full list?

I haven't done much since I first posted it, with the exception of adding country. I have noticed a couple bugs/unintended results. In Outlook the highlights will be listed as a column (I use Thunderbird), and when a single band has more than one release, the genre and country won't show. I might fix this some time in the future, but because it's not crucial and I coded it a bit too fast (then and there the code seemed clear enough). Maybe some bugs will show up at new year as well.

Thiestru wrote:
Stupid question: what the hell is an RSS?

It's a standardization for web feeds. It's basically a web page that is used to post "messages" that subscribers can be notified about. It's commonly used by blogs and websites that posts new articles. People might subscribe to certain categories, like "all stories", "sports" or "technology news" from a newspaper, and whenever that newspapers publishes something in that category it gets added to the feed as a new item. When your application synchronice with the feed it will pop up on your computer as a new message. In this case, it means that the feed is updated weekly with new heavy metal releases, so that you every monday can be reminded of and browse what will be released this week.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm 

This is great man! Thanks for building it up. Subscribed! :)

narsilianshard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:58 am 

This is great. My weekly routine is to usually juggle through the MA upcoming page, the Invisible Oranges post, the Metalsucks post and the Decibel post, but this is going to make it much handier.

Definitely stick with the highlighting, and don't limit to any type of release. Thanks for an awesome contribution!

And FYI for anyone who doesn't know about RSS feeds: get to know and love them. They will change the way you surf the web and make everything way more efficient. I recommend Feedly.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:18 am 

This looks like it could be interesting.

I just got a new comp after 10+ years on the old one and the internet is like brand new to me!

Quote:
And FYI for anyone who doesn't know about RSS feeds: get to know and love them. They will change the way you surf the web and make everything way more efficient. I recommend Feedly.

I still don't understand them. But that's a problem for another thread. I've got so much relearning to do...

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:42 pm 

Subscribed, this is great.
Personally, I'd prefer just full-lengths, EPs, and demos on this highlights but maybe that's just me.