Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CannibalKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 pm 
 

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about the circumstances surrounding David Gold’s death – I know he died in a car accident, but what sort of car accident? I heard it was a car crash but I’ve also heard that he was killed walking back to his car…..Would anyone happen to have any more information on what happened? Were there any witnesses to the accident?

And am I the only one wondering if he possibly committed suicide? Obviously it’s a bit of a jump if I don’t know the full circumstances about his death but many of some of the lyrics in ‘Alternate Ending’ are just way too cryptic and (semi) specific to ignore (‘With enough warning, to pull off to the side in time’; ‘On the highway, under the moon, my final moments, still wondering about you’)…….Tragic coincidence or do you think he had planned to die like that?

Top
 Profile  
Stabwound
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:46 pm
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:17 am 
 

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2011/1 ... on-highway

That article says it was a collision between a car and a pedestrian, but jumping in front of a car seems like a pretty unreliable way of killing yourself. What makes it weird is obviously his lyrics and he seemed extremely depressed for a while leading up to his death judging by his twitter posts, but again, that seems like a very odd way to commit suicide if that were the case.

Top
 Profile  
mike40k
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:27 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:58 am 
 

I've been wondering the same. I haven't been able to figure out whether he was the driver or the pedestrian. If he was the driver then he may have been trying to crash his car, and the pedestrian was just a case of wrong place, wrong time? Who knows. Maybe we will never know. The article mentions the circumstances of the accident being under investigation at the time, but I don't recall ever hearing any more about it. Maybe the family wanted to keep that info to themselves.

Regardless, I think his death was a great loss. Woods will remain one of my favourite bands.
_________________
Paths [Atmospheric Black Metal] - Full-length released July 7th, 2014
http://www.pathsmetal.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/pathsmetal

Top
 Profile  
CannibalKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:07 am 
 

mike40k wrote:
Maybe we will never know. The article mentions the circumstances of the accident being under investigation at the time, but I don't recall ever hearing any more about it. Maybe the family wanted to keep that info to themselves.


That's the thing, I've seen articles that say it was under investigation, but never anything on the results of the investigation.....You would think someone would've heard something......It makes me wonder.....

Top
 Profile  
DonHoorn
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am
Posts: 176
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:53 am 
 

On multiple sites family members of him have said it wasn't suicide. His family probaly knows him better then any of us did, so I'm inclined to believe it.

From the story I heard was that David pulled over on the highway to help somebody with car problems. After that, while he was walking back to his own car he got hit by another car.
_________________
The history of deathcore
Bezerko wrote:
Metalcore Scene: "I hear death metal is heavier than melodic death metal!"
Mtalcore Scene: "Yeah!"
*Metalcore scene rapes death metal*

Top
 Profile  
LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:26 am 
 

I have been thinking about this a lot since it happened and have also wondered why nothing else has been said about it - even if his family wish it to be a private matter, the police would still have to release the actual details of what happened to the press, so its strange that nothing else has been said. The part of the highway the accident occurred on is near an intersection, but it does not seem to have any footpaths nearby so it would be strange for him to have been walking by the road there, unless as someone above said, he was walking back to his own car after helping someone out.

I'm not sure what really happened, but if you read David's twitter posts in the week up to his death was clearly VERY depressed at that time. His posts tragically read like someone who is saying goodbye. He even says something about "career suicide leading to..." i.e. real suicide, I assume.

The last track on the album - Alternate Ending - does, i agree, also seems like a vision of his own death. However it is not as clearly cut as it seems since I heard an interview with Joel Violette who co-wrote the Woods 5 and he said that the lyrics were, in part at least, to do with a family friend of David's who won the lottery but alienated his whole family (hence the lyric "was there anyone to share in your joy") - the song imagines him dying of a heart attack on the highway alone despite his new found wealth. Having said that, some of the lyrics don't seem to fit with that story and may be a higher level addition to it in which David is singing about the woman he loves but no longer loves him (Sarah Green I assume - the one who did backing vocals on Woods 2). The fact that the track Finality is clearly about her/a woman, and the same word 'finality' is used in Alternate ending towards the end of the song makes me think there is a mixing of meanings and stories here. If it wasn't suicide then it was at least a horrible poetic coincidence.

Anyway, David's death was a tragic occurrence, and I'm gutted he never lived to enjoy the plaudits that Woods 5 got, and would have got, even had he lived. I'm sorry for his family and friends. RIP David Gold.

Top
 Profile  
IanThrash
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 915
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:45 am 
 

LowlightOracle wrote:
Anyway, David's death was a tragic occurrence, and I'm gutted he never lived to enjoy the plaudits that Woods 5 got, and would have got, even had he lived. I'm sorry for his family and friends. RIP David Gold.



YES! It's such a shame. Woods 5 was my favourite album of 2012 and it's one my most treasured albums in my collection. It's a perfect album, and sadly, a perfect farewell for a great artist like David. I guess im a bit curious about the whole accident thing but of course, the family wants to keep it for themselves and that's perfectly fine. BTW I wonder if there is any unreleased material by WoY.
_________________
Can´t touch this

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

Top
 Profile  
LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:49 pm 
 

Actually, I think I remember reading David saying in an interview that there were 2 or 3 songs that were written but were not actually put on Woods 5 so there may be some still to be released, im not 100% sure though. I'm hoping that all the material pre-Woods 4 gets a re-release on Earache, ideally as gatefold vinyl as I would buy them straight away!

And yeah Woods 5 was my top album of 2012 as well - there is just something about it which is different and powerful, the songs are so well constructed, and you can tell that he meant every last word of what he put in the lyrics. Great record \m/

Top
 Profile  
CannibalKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:13 pm 
 

LowlightOracle wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot since it happened and have also wondered why nothing else has been said about it - even if his family wish it to be a private matter, the police would still have to release the actual details of what happened to the press, so its strange that nothing else has been said. The part of the highway the accident occurred on is near an intersection, but it does not seem to have any footpaths nearby so it would be strange for him to have been walking by the road there, unless as someone above said, he was walking back to his own car after helping someone out.

I'm not sure what really happened, but if you read David's twitter posts in the week up to his death was clearly VERY depressed at that time. His posts tragically read like someone who is saying goodbye. He even says something about "career suicide leading to..." i.e. real suicide, I assume.

The last track on the album - Alternate Ending - does, i agree, also seems like a vision of his own death. However it is not as clearly cut as it seems since I heard an interview with Joel Violette who co-wrote the Woods 5 and he said that the lyrics were, in part at least, to do with a family friend of David's who won the lottery but alienated his whole family (hence the lyric "was there anyone to share in your joy") - the song imagines him dying of a heart attack on the highway alone despite his new found wealth. Having said that, some of the lyrics don't seem to fit with that story and may be a higher level addition to it in which David is singing about the woman he loves but no longer loves him (Sarah Green I assume - the one who did backing vocals on Woods 2). The fact that the track Finality is clearly about her/a woman, and the same word 'finality' is used in Alternate ending towards the end of the song makes me think there is a mixing of meanings and stories here. If it wasn't suicide then it was at least a horrible poetic coincidence.

Anyway, David's death was a tragic occurrence, and I'm gutted he never lived to enjoy the plaudits that Woods 5 got, and would have got, even had he lived. I'm sorry for his family and friends. RIP David Gold.


Thanks so much for the details, which cleared a few things up. However I can’t help but wonder, like you, why the ‘metal media’ never found out (and published) some of the details…..And his Twitter posts don’t bother me as much because….well…he seemed to be kind of a depressed person in general, judging by some of his lyrics….Plus shortly before he died he texted his mom that he was ‘on his way home’ or something like that, which doesn’t seem like something he would’ve said before committing suicide, unless it was some sort of twisted metaphor….I know David had some definite personal problems, but I can only hope that he wouldn’t say something like that then go & kill himself and (intentionally) put his mother through all that…..Maybe I’m over-thinking…..I don’t know what’s more depressing for me: The suicide scenario or thinking that he just went to help someone having car problems then got hit by a car and killed, only to get caught up in, as you called it, ‘a horrible poetic coincidence’…..

Bottom line….it’s just a tragedy no matter what you believe happened…..I discovered Woods of Ypres after David died, I bought Woods 5 & thought it was a pretty cool album. Recently I’ve fallen into a deep depression and ‘re-discovered’ that album and WOW….It’s amazing how cathartic their music has become for me....I can relate so well to their lyrics about heartbreak, misery & depression; that I almost feel like I lost a friend that December….a friend I never got to meet (if that makes any sense)….RIP my friend, I never got to meet you in this life, and I hope to see you in the next (that was always 1 point that I slightly disagreed with him on! Hahaha).

LowlightOracle wrote:
Actually, I think I remember reading David saying in an interview that there were 2 or 3 songs that were written but were not actually put on Woods 5 so there may be some still to be released, im not 100% sure though. I'm hoping that all the material pre-Woods 4 gets a re-release on Earache, ideally as gatefold vinyl as I would buy them straight away!


Unfortunately I feel like even if there was recorded, un-released material it might take them years (or even decades) to release it. Take for example some of the recordings of the famous jazz saxophonist John Coltrane, who died in 1967, leaving behind a vault of already recorded yet unreleased material – some of it was released in the 70’s, some in the 90’s, and some in the 2000’s, and there’s speculation that there may still be material that they haven’t reviewed & released yet (if it hasn’t already been purged by the record company)…..Either way I’ll contact David’s mother on YouTube & see what she has to say about any unreleased Woods material.

Top
 Profile  
The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 am
Posts: 608
Location: Kor-Avul-Thaa
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:35 pm 
 

IanThrash wrote:
LowlightOracle wrote:
Anyway, David's death was a tragic occurrence, and I'm gutted he never lived to enjoy the plaudits that Woods 5 got, and would have got, even had he lived. I'm sorry for his family and friends. RIP David Gold.


BTW I wonder if there is any unreleased material by WoY.


I've heard that there is supposedly an entire unreleased album that Earache didn't want to put out for whatever reason. No idea if it's true or not, but the guy who I first heard it from was a regular correspondent with DG for awhile.

Also, the tracks from the Home EP need a proper reissue. Some of the band's most aggressive material.

I saw Woods thrice and met DG twice, and he seemed like a nice enough guy, but there was something disquieting about him, as though he was in a constant struggle against depression, and he could breakdown at any moment. That's just my impression from the brief couple times I conversed with him though. The Woods V lyrics definitely raise questions as to whether he planned his death or not, at least in my book.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm mostly a fan of Woods I and II, though I do enjoy V a fair amount. I like about half of Woods III , and not much of Woods IV. Having been a fan since the earlier material, the style shift from III to IV was initially hard to get around. Oh well.

R.I.P. DG
_________________
ATWOTE

Top
 Profile  
Nyaricus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 1241
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:29 am 
 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
IanThrash wrote:

BTW I wonder if there is any unreleased material by WoY.


I've heard that there is supposedly an entire unreleased album that Earache didn't want to put out for whatever reason. No idea if it's true or not, but the guy who I first heard it from was a regular correspondent with DG for awhile.

The two songs that made it onto the 'Home' single were part of 5 songs that Woods of Ypres recorded for Earache after they were signed and Woods 4 was set to be re-released by the label. Earache didn't like the direction they took and so 3 songs remain unreleased, un-heard by anyone not directly involved with the band. The remaining 2 songs were independantly released on 7" vinyl by the band, which was availiable on their last North American tour back in early 2011. Personally I'd love a release of "Woods 4.5" with the 5 songs all together on one album, as intended by the band. Time will tell on that one, however.
_________________
Hoarfrost MB BM

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

Top
 Profile  
LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:55 pm 
 

[quote]The two songs that made it onto the 'Home' single were part of 5 songs that Woods of Ypres recorded for Earache after they were signed and Woods 4 was set to be re-released by the label. Earache didn't like the direction they took and so 3 songs remain unreleased, un-heard by anyone not directly involved with the band. The remaining 2 songs were independantly released on 7" vinyl by the band, which was availiable on their last North American tour back in early 2011. Personally I'd love a release of "Woods 4.5" with the 5 songs all together on one album, as intended by the band. Time will tell on that one, however.
[quote]

Yeah, I heard this as well. HOME ep is really good, shame the 7" is impossible to get hold of as only 500 were pressed I think. A proper release of 4.5 would be great - I would love to hear the other material.

[quote]Thanks so much for the details, which cleared a few things up. However I can’t help but wonder, like you, why the ‘metal media’ never found out (and published) some of the details…..And his Twitter posts don’t bother me as much because….well…he seemed to be kind of a depressed person in general, judging by some of his lyrics….Plus shortly before he died he texted his mom that he was ‘on his way home’ or something like that, which doesn’t seem like something he would’ve said before committing suicide, unless it was some sort of twisted metaphor….I know David had some definite personal problems, but I can only hope that he wouldn’t say something like that then go & kill himself and (intentionally) put his mother through all that…..Maybe I’m over-thinking…..I don’t know what’s more depressing for me: The suicide scenario or thinking that he just went to help someone having car problems then got hit by a car and killed, only to get caught up in, as you called it, ‘a horrible poetic coincidence’…..

Bottom line….it’s just a tragedy no matter what you believe happened…..I discovered Woods of Ypres after David died, I bought Woods 5 & thought it was a pretty cool album. Recently I’ve fallen into a deep depression and ‘re-discovered’ that album and WOW….It’s amazing how cathartic their music has become for me....I can relate so well to their lyrics about heartbreak, misery & depression; that I almost feel like I lost a friend that December….a friend I never got to meet (if that makes any sense)….RIP my friend, I never got to meet you in this life, and I hope to see you in the next (that was always 1 point that I slightly disagreed with him on! [quote]

No probs, all info helps I guess, but it is strange why there is no official report on it all. I too was late to Woods of Ypres. I got Woods 4 when Earache re-released it about a year before his death. At first I had no clue what to make of it, as some of the lyrics seemed awkward and I could figure out if it was tongue in cheek, but the songs grew on me a lot over time and I came to really appreciate it. When I heard of his death just before Christmas 2011 I was properly taken aback. It hit home in a strange way, Then my brother, who works in the industry, heard Woods 5 before it came out and gave me a heads up saying it was incredible - which it is! I tracked down all the other albums (wasn't a cheap ordeal I can promise you!) and love them all on their own terms - each is very much of its own which I really like about them.

If anyone hasn't checked it out I recommend Thrawsunblatt which is David and Joel's other band - it waaaay more black metal than Woods, much more similar to woods 1, but it is great. David drums on the first album, and joel has worked on the second which was released this year (which I am yet to hear, but it is apparent very good, even if he has taken it in a more folky/sea-shanty direction(I'm not making that last bit up)).

Top
 Profile  
ThePoop
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 477
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
 

LowlightOracle wrote:
If anyone hasn't checked it out I recommend Thrawsunblatt which is David and Joel's other band - it waaaay more black metal than Woods, much more similar to woods 1, but it is great. David drums on the first album, and joel has worked on the second which was released this year (which I am yet to hear, but it is apparent very good, even if he has taken it in a more folky/sea-shanty direction(I'm not making that last bit up)).

The new Thrawsunblatt album is fantastic. Best folkish/black metal album I've heard this year.
_________________
My favorite Carcass album is Swansong.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DeathfareDevil, dreadmeat, henkkjelle, josantyago, Nochielo, raumr and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group