Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:16 pm 

I always avoided this band because they were a deathcore band. Knowing that and their name was enough for me to realize that I don't like them. Just listened to Into the Everblack. Maybe not deathcore, but surely not death metal.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:26 pm 

So what is it then?

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm 

This song is sounding sweet. I'm hearing new ideas in this song. Nice black metal section, too.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
I always avoided this band because they were a deathcore band. Knowing that and their name was enough for me to realize that I don't like them. Just listened to Into the Everblack. Maybe not deathcore, but surely not death metal.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
So what is it then?

Some sort of generic middleground.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 am 

Listening to Goat of Departure. I'm once again reminded that Everblack will be a great, great album.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:28 am 

I actually don't like this song nearly as much as the other two. Sure, the black metal section is kind of cool but it's just not memorable and the solo section feels awkwardly shoved in.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Octodecillion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am 

SweetSilence wrote:

For fuck's sake, TBDM is and never has been deathcore. Seriously, how many times does this need to be said? Do some research before you post some stupid shit like this.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:05 am 

I mean they do have a few deathcore-ish moments here and there, but there is still enough of a strong melodeath influence to call them a legit melodeath band and not a metal/deathcore band

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:44 pm 

Octodecillion wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:

For fuck's sake, TBDM is and never has been deathcore. Seriously, how many times does this need to be said? Do some research before you post some stupid shit like this.

Really. If TBDM is deathcore/metalcore, then so is At the Gates.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:36 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Really. If TBDM is deathcore/metalcore, then so is At the Gates.

Which is the best deathcore band: At the Gates or Meshuggah????
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:45 pm 

I'll go with option C: Abigail Williams.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:49 pm 

On another listen, the song has a few riffs that are still winners, but the solo still sucks balls. What happened Ryan?

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm 

While by no means is this my favorite band of all time, they're good enough for a listen from time-to-time, and the stuff I've heard released from here is pretty interesting overall. Generally enjoyable modern Death Metal, I would say.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:59 pm 

You can snag it now if you know where to look online. It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting, which is good because usually when I expect an album to rock, it ends up sucking. It's nice to finally get a "hope it rocks / it does rock" combo for once.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 am 

This is the pinnacle of human achievement so far. Will report back when I can form coherent thoughts beyond HOLY FUCK BRO.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 am 

I listened to the album earlier, and I dug the hell out of it. I liked that it had a bit more of a black metal undercurrent going throughout most of the album, plus this is easily the least amount of Swedish riffing found on any Black Dahlia album thus far. It had a lot of slower, groove-based moments as well, particularly when it came to solos, which were pretty much forcing me to bob my head along with the music. The opener, "In Hell is Where She Waits for Me", isn't as good an opener as "A Shrine to Madness" was on Ritual, but it does the job well enough.

It'll take another couple listens to see if I like this more than I did Ritual, but at the moment it's definitely up there with that album as the best Black Dahlia album yet.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 am 

Wasn't a big fan of "Into The Everblack", but "Raped In Hatred By Vines of Thorn" wasn't bad. Not incredible, but it was enjoyable. I could never get into this band, to be honest. Don't think I'll buy the album, but I might check it out. Doesn't blow my mind on first taste like Hateform's new one, but I could definitely do worse.

EDIT: Upon listening to Goat Of Departure, I can't say I was impressed. I wish Trevor would use his deeper register growls more often than his screech. The screech is what always threw me off. Lyrics are pretty rad, though. Well-written, if not exactly intellectual, which isn't the point of the band, so no complaints there.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am 

It's incredible. Like BastardHead mentioned, one of the few examples of expectations met. It opens with a blazing number, and closes with pure epicness. Though I have to say it still doesn't surpass the brilliant I Will Return as a closer. It's a very varied album. Melodic death riffing, thrashing, triplet stop-starts, full on black metal (all of Every Rope is a Noose), straight up death metal low melodies, harmonized lead moments, insane face-melting guitar solos. Every song has a unique personality. Those who will listen to this album and still say they don't evolve as a band will be officially diagnosed with Down Syndrome. I will say this though, so far the new drummer is no Shannon Lucas. Sure, he's blazing fast and technical, but his kit doesn't have the same perfect sound and he lacks that magical Lucas feel.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 pm 

Definitely a great album. The opener was for sure a song I really enjoyed. Unfortunately when I found out about the Wintersun tour announcement that's coming to my town, and sort of forgot I was listening to this album about 2/3s of the way through. I'll have to give it another listen at some point.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:06 pm 

I've listened to it from start-to-finish twice now and it sounds pretty mediocre to me... that being said, I haven't thoroughly enjoyed any of their albums past Nocturnal. Everblack just sounds like a bad re-hashing of a bunch of tunes off Ritual which had maybe 3-4 good songs on it.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:58 pm 

Have to agree with OneSize. It's not bad, just mediocre. Still enjoy Raped In Hatred By Vines Of Thorn, though.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:10 pm 

I disagree, I've heard the album twice now and it has grown even more with the 2nd listen, all the black dahlia factors are there, and all of them are improved in a certain way. Lyrics, riffing, structures, vocals... almost everything has the same flavor with a slightly better touch.

Yes, I'm enjoying this quite a lot. :-D

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:28 am 

I just finished the 7th track, and it's pretty damn good, but I am beginning to HATE Ryan Knight's soloing. I think it's his tone; it sounds like he's using the wah-wah pedal way too much. Also, a lot of people were praising Raped in Hatred by Vines of Thorn for the catchy chorus, but I honestly found the bluesy lead to be pretty annoying. All in all, I definitely like this album significantly better than Ritual, which kind of bored me a little bit.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:44 am 

Listened to it twice now and it is really good. This band cannot do any wrong in my opinion. Vocals are so spot on.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3