Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
N0rs3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 am 

Why doesn't ebay stop fucking morons like vinylterror from selling fake Mayhem and Morbid demotapes on their site? Isn't there a law that prohibit scum like him to make money off the poor people that doesn't know any better?
Something needs to be done.....

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:51 am 

You can report his auctions....The more people who do that, the bigger the chance of ebay blocking him. But probably not, because ebay makes money on scumbags like him. Another option is to buy his crap, then report it and claim money back via paypal (the buyer is always protected), and give him negative feedback from hell. The more people who do that, the more obvious his scam is.
On a side note, don't buy rare items like that from Greek sellers.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 am 

Helvede wrote:
On a side note, don't buy rare items like that from Greek sellers.

Is there a large number of scammers in Greece or something?

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 am 

"When many stupid people are around, the clever take advantage"

"You make it easy."

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm 

I do most of my record buying on Discogs.com

So far the only sellers that have ever tried to rip me off were from Greece!

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:52 pm 

There's a huge bootleg industry in Greece. The industry in Russia is big too, but in my experience their bootlegs are easier to spot. Of course there are many honest sellers in Greece and Russia too, but the level of scammers from those countries is too high to not be extra careful.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm 

How do you know those tapes are bootlegs? (I'm not doubting you, I just want to know how to tell.)

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm 

If one had the chance to compare it would probably show. However, what should make you worry is that he has multiple copies for sale of very rare items like Mayhem and Morbid demos, and the story is always the same: "I recieved these directly from x-member back in the days" = Bootleg alert gone red.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:37 pm 

A quick question about bootlegs. A lot of extremely rare and obscure music is out there and its usually really good. However its rare and obscure making it hard for most normal people to find/afford this music. Do any of you guys support bootlegging if its marketed as such? I got a Confuse (japanese hardcore band) bootleg and I really don't care cause I enjoy the music more then I enjoy the novelty of having something only a few people do.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm 

Helvede wrote:
If one had the chance to compare it would probably show. However, what should make you worry is that he has multiple copies for sale of very rare items like Mayhem and Morbid demos, and the story is always the same: "I recieved these directly from x-member back in the days" = Bootleg alert gone red.

The mutiple copies of super-rare tapes would immediately be a sign for me. I just didn't know if there was some obvious way to tell from the tapes themselves. I'm not interested in any of this guy's auctions, I just was curious.

The problem with so many demo tapes is many "official" copies are just photo-copied and dubbed blank cassettes made by the band. It makes bootlegging so easy for these guys. Photocopied artwork and a dubbed old cassette...instant bootleg.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:53 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
A quick question about bootlegs. A lot of extremely rare and obscure music is out there and its usually really good. However its rare and obscure making it hard for most normal people to find/afford this music. Do any of you guys support bootlegging if its marketed as such? I got a Confuse (japanese hardcore band) bootleg and I really don't care cause I enjoy the music more then I enjoy the novelty of having something only a few people do.

Excellent point. Back in the tape trading days bootlegging a demo was actually promoted. Someone would get a copy and then copy it and pass it along. I have a copy of Entombed - But Life Goes On and it's a copy of a copy. Someone copied the cassette in lay as well. I feel it's a part of the tape trading legacy, so being a bootleg doesn't bother me.

So I share the opinion that if the music is hard to get a hold of its great to find a copy. I think where the fucked status of bootlegs comes from is dirt bags making money over fist from poor copies to begin with.

So it's definitely a double edged sword. Yes people get the experience of rarities but it also cheapens the experience if some cash hungry bootlegger is involved.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:19 pm 

No one else has said it yet so I will. The early Mayhem and Morbid demos are incredibly hard to find original copies of and will cost an arm and a leg. If you purchase one from ebay for under $20 like you probably did you deserve to be ripped off.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 pm 

on that point- the deal is how it's marketed. I would have no problem paying for a bootlegged copy of a rare demo or obscure/out of print vinyl, as long as the seller made it clear that that's all it was AND it was priced accordingly. I would pay that $20 for a bootlegged Mayhem demo or (for example) a bootlegged Maiden vinyl "Soundhouse Tapes" ep. But if these guys are charging a premium collector's item price for these things and claiming they are original pressings, then that's bullshit, no matter how you look at it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:53 pm 

I just don't see the point in paying anything for a bootleg unless it's some sort of historically notable bootleg like a genuine, originally copy of the Dawn of the Black Hearts bootleg or something.

Otherwise, just pirate it, no?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:27 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
historically notable bootleg like a genuine, originally copy of bootleg.

huh?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 pm 

Well, just look at the M-A page for Dawn of the Black Hearts:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Mayhem/The_Dawn_of_the_Black_Hearts_-_Live_in_Sarpsborg%2C_Norway_28-2%2C_1990/8075

Having one of those original 300 copies would be a neat collector's item but I don't see why you'd buy some crappy CD-R version of this, as an example.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:18 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I just don't see the point in paying anything for a bootleg unless it's some sort of historically notable bootleg like a genuine, originally copy of the Dawn of the Black Hearts bootleg or something.

Otherwise, just pirate it, no?

Well for some stuff I understand but like something like GISM for example is nigh fucking impossible to find for a good price like this or this. I think it depends on if the music is available though. For something like Mayhem it don't see the reason because they are pretty big. But for like obscure albums that go for hundreds and have not gotten reissued might not be. I mean you will have to pay at least $250 for this album because it will never be reissued because the master tapes are gone. Also William Bennett takes down all download links if there are any since its all copyrighted.

So I think for bootlegs, it depends on what it is.

Reply to topic