Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 806
Location: India
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 am 
 

iAm wrote:
Not only that, but The Melvins are often credited as being the first Sludge band as well as playing a key role in the Grunge movement.


Yes. Gluey Porch Treatments is arguably the first sludge metal record. Some say it's Black Flag's My War. I'd say that there are hints of the sludge characteristics in My War but it's not possible to label it entirely as sludge. I find some Alice in Chains songs very sludge metal-ish as well. Specially their self-titled/tripod album and their newer materials are borderline to straight up doom metal.

iAm wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Furthermore, Kurt Cobain sang on an early Earth demo (I know, that was drone, but drone is furthermore related to sludge in many ways)

No shit?

I need to look into that.


Yes. It's true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duk9vtxF46M
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
King_Hands
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:46 am
Posts: 629
Location: Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 am 
 

doomster999 wrote:
The SHM wrote:
But wasn't grunge sludge-lite?

In a way yes. Grunge and Sludge are sibling genres. Both are built upon Sabbathy brand of metal and punk aesthetics. And many Sludge Metal musicians have admitted that they were influenced by the Seattle scene.

Maybe it's just me, but Acid Bath seem to sound very grungey for a sludge band.

Top
 Profile  
Civil
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 112
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 am 
 

This is a very heavy and sludgy Nirvana track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBewEbpf9_I

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 806
Location: India
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 am 
 

King_Hands wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but Acid Bath seem to sound very grungey for a sludge band.


Not only Acid Bath, but most of the sludge bands have incorporated grunge influences here and there. It's like the two sides of a same bread. Sabbathy riffing style, use of feedback etc. Of course excluding bands like Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam. Because they weren't much 'heavy'. Their sound is more psychedelia and classic rock oriented.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
The SHM
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:54 pm
Posts: 134
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 am 
 

Opus wrote:
Is it really a trend though? Isn't it just a a few fans and music journalists/writers desperately trying to be "different" hyping it AS IF it is the next big thing?
(I'm talking about this occult retro rock thing.)

That's what Sub Pop did with Grunge back in the late '80s. Grunge wasn't doing- or going to do- shit commercially until Sub Pop Records decided to cash in on them.
Within two, three years...

By the way- holy living cheez whiz, doom metal is actually getting attention? The biggest rapper in America is white and the president is black? Talk about topsy turvy times!

doomster999 wrote:
King_Hands wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but Acid Bath seem to sound very grungey for a sludge band.


Not only Acid Bath, but most of the sludge bands have incorporated grunge influences here and there. It's like the two sides of a same bread. Sabbathy riffing style, use of feedback etc. Of course excluding bands like Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam. Because they weren't much 'heavy'. Their sound is more psychedelia and classic rock oriented.


The more I keep reading into it, the more Grunge sounds like stoner rock mixed with punk.
_________________
You say "Justin Bieber", I say... OK. So?
92% of teens have cleanly divided themselves according to genres. If you're part of the 8% that doesn't give a shit why others listen to their music, then I don't care. Just enjoy the damn music.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maidenpriestmanic, Yahoo [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group