Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 am 

iAm wrote:
Not only that, but The Melvins are often credited as being the first Sludge band as well as playing a key role in the Grunge movement.

Yes. Gluey Porch Treatments is arguably the first sludge metal record. Some say it's Black Flag's My War. I'd say that there are hints of the sludge characteristics in My War but it's not possible to label it entirely as sludge. I find some Alice in Chains songs very sludge metal-ish as well. Specially their self-titled/tripod album and their newer materials are borderline to straight up doom metal.

iAm wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Furthermore, Kurt Cobain sang on an early Earth demo (I know, that was drone, but drone is furthermore related to sludge in many ways)

No shit?

I need to look into that.

Yes. It's true. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duk9vtxF46M
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 am 

doomster999 wrote:
The SHM wrote:
But wasn't grunge sludge-lite?

In a way yes. Grunge and Sludge are sibling genres. Both are built upon Sabbathy brand of metal and punk aesthetics. And many Sludge Metal musicians have admitted that they were influenced by the Seattle scene.

Maybe it's just me, but Acid Bath seem to sound very grungey for a sludge band.

Civil
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 am 

This is a very heavy and sludgy Nirvana track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBewEbpf9_I

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 am 

King_Hands wrote:

Not only Acid Bath, but most of the sludge bands have incorporated grunge influences here and there. It's like the two sides of a same bread. Sabbathy riffing style, use of feedback etc. Of course excluding bands like Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam. Because they weren't much 'heavy'. Their sound is more psychedelia and classic rock oriented.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 am 

Opus wrote:
Is it really a trend though? Isn't it just a a few fans and music journalists/writers desperately trying to be "different" hyping it AS IF it is the next big thing?
(I'm talking about this occult retro rock thing.)

That's what Sub Pop did with Grunge back in the late '80s. Grunge wasn't doing- or going to do- shit commercially until Sub Pop Records decided to cash in on them.
Within two, three years...

By the way- holy living cheez whiz, doom metal is actually getting attention? The biggest rapper in America is white and the president is black? Talk about topsy turvy times!

doomster999 wrote:
King_Hands wrote:

Not only Acid Bath, but most of the sludge bands have incorporated grunge influences here and there. It's like the two sides of a same bread. Sabbathy riffing style, use of feedback etc. Of course excluding bands like Screaming Trees and Pearl Jam. Because they weren't much 'heavy'. Their sound is more psychedelia and classic rock oriented.

The more I keep reading into it, the more Grunge sounds like stoner rock mixed with punk.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4