Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 am 

INRI = "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews"

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 pm 

Literally it's Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum. Commonly written/carved on top of depictions of Jesus' cross, I'm guessing they used it as a form of crude irony... In the end it works, very easy to memorize.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:05 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
On topic, I have always liked and revered I.N.R.I, and for good reason, but never bothered to check out other releases (apart from a Sex, Drinks and Metal bootleg...). Maybe I should give The Laws Of Scourge a go.

The Nights in Hell bootleg is essential too!

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:25 pm 

AndySlayer wrote:
Literally it's Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum. Commonly written/carved on top of depictions of Jesus' cross, I'm guessing they used it as a form of crude irony... In the end it works, very easy to memorize.

Yes, in fact the Romans carved this epitaph on Jesus's cross because the Jews who wanted him crucified accused him of being a fraud leader, an illegitimate substitute to the King of Judea. Yet Jesus Christ presented himself as a religious leader, not as a political leader ("give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar").

As to the reason why Sarcofago chose this mention as their album title, I guess they did it to pay homage to the Jews...

OK I'm only joking, they probably thought it sounded good and blasphemous. Satanists like to use Christian terms in order to blaspheme, without realizing that they're just validating the religious worldview of their said opponents.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm 

I think they're garbage, I don't care how much of an influence they've had. That being said, their lyrics, especially on the first album, never fail to make me laugh.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 pm 

novakm wrote:
I think they're garbage, I don't care how much of an influence they've had. That being said, their lyrics, especially on the first album, never fail to make me laugh.

To each his own I guess. That being said The Laws of Scouge is probably Brazils finest export after Schizoprenia

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 am 

A major question still remains unanswered: though DD Crazy is credited as drummer on INRI, did he use a drum machine?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 am 

People into black metal for great production and clinic performance is laughable. Go and listen Dimmu Borgir instead. Black metal used to be against the hype and often many bm musicians called 'posers' to well produced death metal bands - in fact, many where against death metal in general for that fact.

Sarcófago were way ahead their time, as their countrymates Mystifier and Vulcano. Those bands alone established the basis for more modern black metal, just like Bathory did. They were a serious influence over the norwegian scene among others, especially to Euronymous.

Sepultura's Morbid Visions was also very important to the development of the extreme metal in general terms, to both death and black metal, especially the southamerican one (I believe that album was a major influence over Trey and Morbid Angel as well).

And well, Sarcófago, Mystifier and the war/bestial black metal sound was/is way more evil/satanic than the black metal spawned some years after. Only Samael was on par in terms of sheer evil atmosphere.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:18 pm 

novakm wrote:

Have you heard anything other than INRI? They actually turned out to be highly proficient and capable musicians. Personally, I prefer INRI's mad sloppy Sodom worship, but they evolved quite a bit after that.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:23 pm 

INRI, home of the REAL thrash beat.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:25 pm 

Absolutely LOVE Sarcofago. 'I.N.R.I.' is one of the best black metal albums ever recorded and I'm just gonna say it right now, a whole hell of a lot better than most of the Norwegian albums everyone loves. 'Transilvanian Hunger', 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' and 'Under the Sign of Hell' ain't got SHIT on 'I.N.R.I.', anything by Anaal Nathrakh or the majority of bestial black metal.

'A Blaze in the Northern Sky' and 'Beyond The Apocalypse' by 1349 are still awesome though.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm 

Now this is really hard revisionism to claim superiority of mediocre bands like 1349 or Anaal Nathrakh over milestones like DMDS.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 pm 

Yeah seriously, wtf?

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Now this is really hard revisionism to claim superiority of mediocre bands like 1349 or Anaal Nathrakh over milestones like DMDS.

No, not really. It's quite simple...

'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' has a horribly thin production job masquerading as 'raw', uninspired guitar work and atrocious vocals. Anaal Nathrakh's albums on the other hand are intense, savage and above all else, creative. They don't need to pull the 'atmosphere' card to rationalize amateurism and poorly written, ill-conceived music.

So yes, I will ABSOLUTELY take this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJTPUbv-g4

Over this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmDL_PzvdY

Good for you if you prefer Mayhem though. That's your prerogative.

Dragunov wrote:
Yeah seriously, wtf?

Whatever. My tastes are not beholden to anyone else's. Neither are yours or vengefulgoat's.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm 

Brutality_Junkie wrote:
No, not really. It's quite simple...

'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' has a horribly thin production job masquerading as 'raw', uninspired guitar work and atrocious vocals. Anaal Nathrakh's albums on the other hand are intense, savage and above all else, creative. They don't need to pull the 'atmosphere' card to rationalize amateurism and poorly written, ill-conceived music.

So yes, I will ABSOLUTELY take this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJTPUbv-g4

Over this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmDL_PzvdY

Good for you if you prefer Mayhem though. That's your prerogative.

you have missed the entire point of the previous post. DMDS was written in the late 80s/early 90s, released in '94. anaal nathrakh didn't even form until what, the early 00s? evaluating DMDS in terms of later developments in the style is dishonest and revisionist.

and in any case, the likes of anaal nathrakh are (imo) everything that's wrong with larger black metal bands these days. that's the atmosphere-less end of the genre.

terrorisk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 am 

Warlust666 wrote:
Never really got into them that much but I do quite enjoy listening to I.N.R.I, for me seems a quite ahead of it's time that aside I like Rotting's version of Nightmare more so than the one on I.N.R.I.
I must point out that I find the homoerotic art cover on Rotting quite amusing.

VERY MUCH AGREE.. I.N.R.I is the most Interesting and Influencial album of Sarcofago for me. i enjoy listining to this real treasure material .. it brings me to the old times.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 pm 

Turner wrote:
you have missed the entire point of the previous post. DMDS was written in the late 80s/early 90s, released in '94. anaal nathrakh didn't even form until what, the early 00s? evaluating DMDS in terms of later developments in the style is dishonest and revisionist.

That's what happens when quality standards are replaced by "taste and colours" relativism. Artistic liberalism...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3