Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 am 

I understand that this might not necessarily be metal by the standards of this site, but considering the aesthetic value, I feel it worth a thread here.

I was smart to pre-order this when I did, despite initially being unsure how to feel about the comparatively new and energetic sound in contrast to the slow, nigh-doomy works of the past. But it grows on you. The electronic elements are simplistic and fit very nicely into the mood, which almost seems to bridge the gap between Katatonia's heavy-handed, yet intelligent melancholy and Anathema's lightheartedness of late. One thing that hasn't changed is Moss' signature expressive voice that essentially hones that depressive edge. I find myself thinking the album worthy of being called "amazing."

I enjoyed all of the tracks, but "Monochrome" stood out to me the most, for basically being the perfect amalgamation of everything I said above. Who else partook?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:52 am 

I heard the single and it was terrible. I like the style developed on Planetary/Leaving Eden by a mile. I'll check it out in full, in search of some decent songs.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:41 pm 

Aye, I'm not sure that this beats out Leaving Eden. That was a perfectly depressive album and it'll be difficult to top in my mind. Still, things with more energy such as this are naturally easier to listen to. I think it takes some skill to maintain the mood when incorporating that kind of change and I think Moss succeeded nicely here.

Indeed, "Paranova," while an enjoyable track (in my opinion), isn't the best from the album. Try the others.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm 

Man, the title track is amazing.

This sounds like an amalgamation of everything Moss has done over the years + slight prog feeling here and there. I'm slowly diggin' it.

edit: Firewalking is incredible, Here Come the Men is also excellent.

Reply to topic