Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm 

I may be looking into this further. It's not the least bit metal (heavy disco rock?) but it is fun to listen to.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 am 

The new album is great. So fun and catchy.

ShivAraadhana
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 am 

I refuse to accept any of your opinions calling the vocals 'weak'. Well, what did you expect ? Did you really not listen to Opus E ? This the way they are. And guess what, they have become a lot more 'pop' ! So yes, haters, castigate them to death but they are unabashedly original. I mean, Jigolo Har Megiddo almost makes you want to throw your prams out and dance to it !

Excellent second album. Papa Emeritus sounds great as ever. Love the ABBA cover as well. Favourite track has to be Per Aspera Ad Inferi. Such a great, fun, catchy chorus.

Love it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 am 

ShivAraadhana wrote:
I refuse to accept any of your opinions calling the vocals 'weak'. Well, what did you expect ? Did you really not listen to Opus E ? This the way they are. And guess what, they have become a lot more 'pop' ! So yes, haters, castigate them to death but they are unabashedly original. I mean, Jigolo Har Megiddo almost makes you want to throw your prams out and dance to it !

Love it.

I guess it's hard to hear criticism for some people.

I hear no strength on those vocals at all, even the guy from Nickelback has more balls to sing than Papa Emeritus.

The 'original part' of your post tells me you haven't heard much of ol' metal/rock. Lifeless riffs (if we can call those senseless chugs riffs), weak vocals laughably emulating some KD sig melodies (you just CAN'T deny the vocal lines are similar in style), monotonous retro keys, bland drumming (Appice in H&H sounds like Neil Peart compared to this guy)... I guess people likes it for a reason that I can't get, even if I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music.

Even the whole Papa + hooded guys isn't original at all! even Portal did it before with a way more menacing atmosphere and look.

Even my wife thinks Ghost sounds like a terrible copy of KD/MF, but without the riffs and the atmosphere (she's well versed in metal and other stuff).

Slag wrote:
What the hell is with those terrible disco beats? Year Zero is worse then the previous song? The guitars are literally doing almost nothing. You know in Forgetting Sarah Marshall where Segal's character is describing the music he plays for those tv shows? Just utterly boring and unimaginative tones, dunnnhhhh, boonnnnng, etc... :lol: That is the Ghost keyboardist right there.

Haha! right man!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 am 

I'm not very big on this band. I guess it's really stupid to say a band doesn't deserve all their success, but I truly think there are some bands who deserve more attention than them. Ghost is not bad by any means, don't get me wrong. But nothing that would jump on my shelves either.

By the way, do Ghost call their gigs "rituals"? I'm just wondering, because of their hidden identities and hokus pokus lyrics it would suit them well.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 am 

ShivAraadhana wrote:

Excellent second album. Papa Emeritus sounds great as ever. Love the ABBA cover as well. Favourite track has to be Per Aspera Ad Inferi. Such a great, fun, catchy chorus.

Love it.

I don't think you'll have much fun on this forum.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

~Guest 181256
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 181256 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 181256
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm 

The entire artwork of the album will soon be available as very limited one time run of deluxe 70x70cm handprints in golden paint. More details soon.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 pm 

You should probably spoiler tag that. But I digress, that is one nice looking booklet.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:16 am 

I think it's a decent album. Per Aspera Ad Inferi, Year Zero, and Depths of Satan's Eyes are all absolutely amazing song. Immensly catchy, ghostly harmonies, slick guitar work. The album packs more variety than one would expect but the production isn't my favourite thing on the planet. Processed in every possible way to hell and back. I like those individual songs better than Opus, but overall this album is weaker.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 am 

Depths was actually one of the three songs I utterly hated, since it was the most similar to he first album.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:33 pm 

I heard this band a few times and never got the hype behind them, but then for some reason I decided to listen to this album and my opinion completely changed. It's the most chill Satanic music I've ever listened to. Normally, I wouldn't listen to music in this style but this album is great all around.

~Guest 181256
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm 

Entire album art (fourteen artworks including unpublished La Mantra Mori which ended as bonus track) is now available as gold/sepia lavish 70x70cm serigraphy limited to 13 copies of each art worldwide at this location:

http://www.graphic-noise.com/zbigniew-m-bielak

felipetacla0
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 pm 

I fucking hate this band: they're so stupid, bland, uninspired, unoriginal, derivative... I just feel that there's no real reason to listen to their work, not one bit of an incentive. It's wasted time.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 am 

True that.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 am 

Gotta say, I love 'em. Sure, they may not be that original, but then, what bands are these days? Most bands are just rehashing what the good bands were doing (and doing FAR better) 20 - 40 years ago.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:09 am 

My opinion hasn't changed about them, enjoy and still enjoy the first album. This one I just don't like.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5