Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:31 pm 

Figured I'd start a topic on this since it's my most anticipated album of the year. So far only the rerecorded album version of "Cumpat" and a video for the closer "Dojana" have been released. Both sound excellent, and the changes to "Cumpat" make it an even better song than off the EP. The video for "Dojana" is gorgeous as well. It puts me in mind of the video for "Cunoasterea tacuta" in the way that the visual aspect lends a great deal to the atmosphere of the track. Anyways, I'm hoping this will be the "true" successor to Om which I believe is one of the finest metal albums ever made. I'm willing to bet a lot that it won't let down. So.... Anyone else as excited for this? Thoughts on what's been released so far?

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm 

I'm really excited for this. Here's a link to the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jilw-6X_E

I hope there are a few more songs on the album like it.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm 

I certainly am excited. I feel it'll be better than the recent Negura Bunget albums

Last edited by Beer Baron on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm 

Awesome, I've been waiting two years for this. The 7" was great! :D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Figured I'd start a topic on this since it's my most anticipated album of the year. So far only the rerecorded album version of "Cumpat" and a video for the closer "Dojana" have been released. Both sound excellent, and the changes to "Cumpat" make it an even better song than off the EP. The video for "Dojana" is gorgeous as well. It puts me in mind of the video for "Cunoasterea tacuta" in the way that the visual aspect lends a great deal to the atmosphere of the track. Anyways, I'm hoping this will be the "true" successor to Om which I believe is one of the finest metal albums ever made. I'm willing to bet a lot that it won't let down. So.... Anyone else as excited for this? Thoughts on what's been released so far?

Krav wrote:
I'm really excited for this. Here's a link to the new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6jilw-6X_E
I hope there are a few more songs on the album like it.

Thanks!

I'm really interested in this release cause, oddly, I prefer the post split work of Negurã Bunget over Dordeduh's one.
Let's see what can they do with a full album!
NP: Dacia Hiperboreana from (2010) Negurã Bunget - Vîrstele Pamîntului.
This album is a monster too! Not REALLY far away from (2006) Negurã Bunget - Om.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:31 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Now that's my song, along with Aborele Lumii :thumbsup:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:30 am 

Hmmm.. I expect this to be a progression from 'N Crugu... more than Om.... or at least that is what I hope because that one is definitely my favorite.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 am 

I really love 'N Crugu but those long intros can be quite annoying sometimes. They didnt have to do em on every song.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

Now that's my song, along with Aborele Lumii :thumbsup:

I REALLY like this album!
Personally:
New Negurã Bunget: 1
Dordeduh: 0
Let's see!

cultofkraken wrote:
Hmmm.. I expect this to be a progression from 'N Crugu... more than Om.... or at least that is what I hope because that one is definitely my favorite.

We are not discussing Negurã Bunget here but this band is a MONSTER! VERY, VERY personal music despite all their style changes.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am 

I can't help but laugh when I say "Dar De Duh" in my head. Did they let a retard name the album for them? :lol:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm 

ill be seeing them live for the 2nd time a week from now. They will be playing an extra long set on their support tour with bethlehem and secrets of the moon because they were late for their aurora infernalis festival appearance last year.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I REALLY like this album!
Personally:
New Negurã Bunget: 1
Dordeduh: 0
Let's see!

cultofkraken wrote:

We are not discussing Negurã Bunget here but this band is a MONSTER! VERY, VERY personal music despite all their style changes.

Doesn't matter if we are discussing Negura Bunget or not, the connection and sound is relevant to Dordeduh, and I personally found the music already released to be very reminiscent of 'N Crugu Bradalui era NB than anything else which makes sense given the members involved.

Valkyrjan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 am 

Evoken wrote:
Did they let a retard name the album for them? :lol:

Nah, they just speak a language you're clearly incapable of comprehending.

5 days until release!

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:31 am 

Valkyrjan wrote:
Evoken wrote:
Did they let a retard name the album for them? :lol:

Nah, they just speak a language you're clearly incapable of comprehending.

5 days until release!

Nah, I was just utilizing my sense of humor with that post, something you're clearly incapable of comprehending. :-P

Valkyrjan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm 

Sorry; since I've spent less time in metal circles as of late, I'd forgotten how hilarious retard jokes are.

My point being that if it were in any other language, you could well have said the same thing simply because you don't understand its meaning, so what's with Dar De Duh?

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:24 pm 

Valkyrjan wrote:
Sorry; since I've spent less time in metal circles as of late, I'd forgotten how hilarious retard jokes are.

My point being that if it were in any other language, you could well have said the same thing simply because you don't understand its meaning, so what's with Dar De Duh?

Please follow these important steps:
1. Pull stick out of ass
2. Enjoy newly found sense of humor
3. Laugh and make friends

:tongue:

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm 

I don't think having a sense of humor would make that post funny. In fact, having one, I can confirm that it does not.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 pm 

okay, look: I'll freely admit I checked out this band purely because of the name, which lets face it... doesnt sound all that complementary in the English language. But I figured I'd reserve judgement on them until I at least heard them first. The music is very...foreign, but that's not saying it's bad though. Very good, powerful folkish music. I mean, that's the important thing; music is a universal language, this music is good. I loved the video too; where was it filmed, anybody know? Looks sort of like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or Montana, somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
(...) I loved the video too; where was it filmed, anybody know? Looks sort of like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or Montana, somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Considering where the band's from I'd say that I'm not going out on a limb in saying it's probably the Carpathians.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
okay, look: I'll freely admit I checked out this band purely because of the name, which lets face it... doesnt sound all that complementary in the English language. But I figured I'd reserve judgement on them until I at least heard them first. The music is very...foreign, but that's not saying it's bad though. Very good, powerful folkish music. I mean, that's the important thing; music is a universal language, this music is good. I loved the video too; where was it filmed, anybody know? Looks sort of like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado or Montana, somewhere but I'm pretty sure it's not.

The music is REALLY emotional and feels completely natural for me (and I'm in the north of Spain).

matras wrote:
Considering where the band's from I'd say that I'm not going out on a limb in saying it's probably the Carpathians.
Obviously.
I have some info about the shooting locations but I can´t find it know. I think I have at home and will try to post it later.
Anyway, I'm almost sure this is one of the places (cause I have been there):
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/906

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am 

Listened to 'N Crugu last night for the first time in a while, now I'm kinda sorta looking forward to this.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 am 

Basquestorm,

+1, Virstele Pamintului is a fucking great record, its not as good as Om is but its the logic continuation. Undoubtedly Dacia Hiperboreana can be considered as the peak of this album, I really enjoyed the video made for this piece of art, it was dark and original, something you always expect from such a distinctive band.

Am I the only who thinks that Dordeduh sounds a little bit artificial and cold?

The songs are great, all the necessary elements are there but it seems that something doesn’t work, I like the songs but I don’t fell the atmosphere, I am not excited with their compositions. Hopefully this sensation will change when I listen to the full album but I have my doubts.

Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:58 am 

quote from Hupogrammos:
"For the setting we chose an old, quite unknown Dacian fortress, placed deep into the Apuseni [western side of the Romanian Carpathians] mountains. The place is surrounded by an unusual forest, called locally 'the forest without a face'. This place was the subject of many mysterious stories of people disappearing into the forest without a trace. Fortunately during the shootings nothing unusual happened. We are very happy with the final result and Costin Chioreanu did a great job."

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:56 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Basquestorm,
+1, Virstele Pamintului is a fucking great record, its not as good as Om is but its the logic continuation. Undoubtedly Dacia Hiperboreana can be considered as the peak of this album, I really enjoyed the video made for this piece of art, it was dark and original, something you always expect from such a distinctive band.
Am I the only who thinks that Dordeduh sounds a little bit artificial and cold?
The songs are great, all the necessary elements are there but it seems that something doesn’t work, I like the songs but I don’t fell the atmosphere, I am not excited with their compositions. Hopefully this sensation will change when I listen to the full album but I have my doubts.

I agree and that's my EXACT problem with Dordeduh too.
My initial reaction after the split was that Negura was dead and Hupogrammos's next work would be the great deal but... it has been just the opposite.
Seems like Negru did the move (and was prepared to continue with the band) and Hupogrammos had to improvise.
Let's see what happens with Dordeduh's full album!

Tarabostes wrote:
quote from Hupogrammos:
"For the setting we chose an old, quite unknown Dacian fortress, placed deep into the Apuseni [western side of the Romanian Carpathians] mountains. The place is surrounded by an unusual forest, called locally 'the forest without a face'. This place was the subject of many mysterious stories of people disappearing into the forest without a trace. Fortunately during the shootings nothing unusual happened. We are very happy with the final result and Costin Chioreanu did a great job."

Tarabostes, where are they talking about? Is, maybe, this place I was talking about?

BasqueStorm wrote:
Anyway, I'm almost sure this is one of the places (cause I have been there):
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/906

P.S: Sorry, this one is near Orastie and they're talking about Apuseni. The problem is that I have all those names in my head since I traveled to Rumania some years ago (I had great plans but didn't had much time). Anyway, I'll sure go back!

Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 am 

BasqueStorm, they don't specify the exact place where the filming took place, but the picture in your link is of Sarmizegetusa Regia, the ancient capitol/temple city of the Dacians. I doubt it was filmed there because the place is very well known and they would've just said so. I think I read somewhere that it is indeed the site of a dacian fortress, but it's very difficult to know which one because the Apuseni are filled with the remains of dacian settlements.

P.S. Orastie is in the Apuseni :)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 am 

Maybe I'm on the minority here but I prefer mid-era Negura to Om and Dordeduh it's not exactly the same thing as Negura either. I liked what I've heard and the songs are very well crafted.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Negura's Virstele's songwriting was hard to accomplish, like Negru had to study what Negura did on the past and 'recreate' it, whereas the Dordeduh Ep sounds more natural in genesis, like the one(s) who wrote those tracks are more 'used' to write stuff.

Claustrophiliac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:19 am 

The whole album is streaming on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc&feature=bf_prev&list=SPToXWne2Bk-cDQ6322mKfMYjiE7iBHdCq

Really enjoying it after 3 times through.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 am 

Claustrophiliac wrote:
The whole album is streaming on Youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ-hayqRDOc&feature=bf_prev&list=SPToXWne2Bk-cDQ6322mKfMYjiE7iBHdCq
Really enjoying it after 3 times through.

Thanks! Sounds good!

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:11 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Maybe I'm on the minority here but I prefer mid-era Negura to Om and Dordeduh it's not exactly the same thing as Negura either. I liked what I've heard and the songs are very well crafted.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Negura's Virstele's songwriting was hard to accomplish, like Negru had to study what Negura did on the past and 'recreate' it, whereas the Dordeduh Ep sounds more natural in genesis, like the one(s) who wrote those tracks are more 'used' to write stuff.

i agree, seems the 'new' NB always sounded forced to me, but eh whatever i guess. the new dordeduh is good, only have one listen though so far.

Kerber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm 

Dordeduh are pretty cool folk/black, they'll be playing here in december, I'll probably go see them.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:59 am 

Evoken wrote:
Valkyrjan wrote:

Please follow these important steps:
1. Pull stick out of ass

:tongue:

You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case.

Anyway, I dont like this style at all, so what do I know.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TheHeresiarch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case.

Yes, let's all abandon our traditions and culture because the average english speaking moron doesn't understand that the title is not in english, and he might giggle upon "reading" it. You might also be surprised to find out that some music can be pretty personal and not made only to please the crowds. But hey, what do you know ...

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
You would think, given that 90-something percent of Metal fans speak English, that someone involved in this would ask "hey, does this sound fucking stupid in English?" before going ahead. It's not about it's meaning, its about the fact that that collection of sounds scans/reads like somebody randomly humming under their breath. Like if I had a band called Blahdeblah and released an album called herp de derpadoo. Comes across as comical, which while I'm sure was not the intention, I'm suprised it did not occur to anyone that this would be the case. (...)

This is, beyond any competition, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on these boards. Seriously.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:05 pm 

You know what, I asked myself before reading this thread if I'm going to see a "duh" joke. You clever boys you :lol:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm 

TheHeresiarch wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:

Yes, let's all abandon our traditions and culture because the average english speaking moron doesn't understand that the title is not in english, and he might giggle upon "reading" it. You might also be surprised to find out that some music can be pretty personal and not made only to please the crowds. But hey, what do you know ...

It's not "abandoning your traditions and culture" to demonstrate a modicum of self-awareness in the form of contemplating the likely effect on your audience, and nor am I a moron for pointing that out. All their other titles, fine. You scan it, see its not in english and say whatever, I'm sure it has some meaning I'm not privy to. Because they read like a phrase that would actually mean something. But I think thats a danger you deal with when you use a language-other-than-english for album titles - you'll have to deal with the fact that people will take the piss, especially if your choice of words either looks like someone dropped a box of scrabble on the ground or reads like the catch-phrase of a cartoon bear.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:06 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:

I don't know, speaking of this band/music in particular, I would actually guess that most of their fans possess English as a second language, and that this sort of thing just wouldn't occur to them. I think it's fine, though I have to admit that the first thing that struck me wasn't "this sounds stupid in English" (there aren't any english words there, after all), but rather, "oh great, someone started a topic about imitating metal guitar noises".
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Tarabostes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 am 

I'm romanian and the title sounded a bit off to me too at first, even though I know very well what it means (and I'm sure you probably have a translation of it by now as well). Personally, I think the way it sounds can indeed be a bit comical and maybe it results in taking the whole image of the band or feel of the album out of context... but it's strictly related to the way the air comes out of your mouth when spoken. These are the words, and what they mean is much more important: a child will laugh at the way it sounds, a grown man will understand the meaning.

Wouldn't it be nicer if we got back on topic and not make this thread about weird funny sounds? The entire album is available on the Prophecy Youtube channel since friday, let's discuss that :)

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

It's not "abandoning your traditions and culture" to demonstrate a modicum of self-awareness in the form of contemplating the likely effect on your audience, and nor am I a moron for pointing that out. All their other titles, fine. You scan it, see its not in english and say whatever, I'm sure it has some meaning I'm not privy to. Because they read like a phrase that would actually mean something. But I think thats a danger you deal with when you use a language-other-than-english for album titles - you'll have to deal with the fact that people will take the piss, especially if your choice of words either looks like someone dropped a box of scrabble on the ground or reads like the catch-phrase of a cartoon bear.

Kiss means "pee" in Swedish, so you think Gene and co could have demonstrated a "modicum of self-awareness" when they named the band, and the likely affect it would have on 7 year-olds in Sweden.

Because that's exactly who finds it funny. No one else cares. I guess that's the danger when you chose English words/phrases for a band name/album title.

See what I did there?

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 am 

According to wikipedia, there are 10 million Swedish speakers worldwide. There are 1.8 billion English speakers. You can make of the fact that you are replying to this in English rather than Swedish what you will. I'd chalk it up to the desire to be understood and not cop "Bjork Bjork Bjork" Swedish Chef jokes from the overwhelming majority of people who comprise your audience myself. All of which is beside the point - the original point being a humorous aside that everyone failed to see the humour in due to a failure to adhere to Evokens suggestions. Viz:

1. Pull stick out of ass

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 am 

Tarabostes wrote:
BasqueStorm, they don't specify the exact place where the filming took place, but the picture in your link is of Sarmizegetusa Regia, the ancient capitol/temple city of the Dacians. I doubt it was filmed there because the place is very well known and they would've just said so. I think I read somewhere that it is indeed the site of a dacian fortress, but it's very difficult to know which one because the Apuseni are filled with the remains of dacian settlements.
P.S. Orastie is in the Apuseni :)

Ups... thanks!

Tarabostes wrote:
These are the words, and what they mean is much more important: a child will laugh at the way it sounds, a grown man will understand the meaning.
Wouldn't it be nicer if we got back on topic and not make this thread about weird funny sounds? The entire album is available on the Prophecy Youtube channel since friday, let's discuss that :)

Bingo! And bingo!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next