There's a scandal?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am 

I was just being facetious.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 am 

I just can't stand the vocals. Nocturno Culto is a way better vocalist, in my opinion. Thus far I'm banking that this is going to be my least favorite DT album. It just doesn't sound that good to me, to put it simply.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:56 pm 

I personally am really enjoying the album so far. It's certainly no Panzerfaust, but it really nails the Celtic Frost-esque vibes and I am also a big fan of Fenriz's clean vocals, so the focus on those for this record really were a plus for me.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 pm 

Just listened to dead early... I like this song. They had me in the first 15 seconds of oldschool Burzum riffaqe. Sometimes theres an upside in being wrong about something.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:41 am 

I bought it yesterday and am listening to it for a second time as I type this. So far I like what I hear - I'd say it's still undeniably Darkthrone, just Darkthrone trying to sound like bands from the 80's. And perhaps it's just me, but isn't the production cleaner than on Circle the Wagons? The sound is less "woolly", IMO.
Unfortunately most of the bands' releases they're referencing seem to have come out in the mid-eighties when I was just a baby (and neither my father nor my brother listen(ened) to metal) so I can't say how succesful Darkthrone are in their attempt because I'm not familiar with those bands.
And did anyone catch that Fenriz gives a shout-out to Dag Nilsen in his long list of thank-yous?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:39 pm 

I've listened to it a couple of times now - Leave No Cross Unturned is perhaps one of the weaker tracks, and would have been better handled divided into two songs and perhaps worked on a little more. The others feel much more of a natural continuation of Circle the Wagons, particularly Valkyrie, which might be my favourite thing "the new Darkthrone" has done - I'll have to wait and see if the novelty wears off.

I'm pleasantly surprised, I was worried it would be underwhelming for a while, but I'm more than happy with it.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 am 

After a dozen or so listens it's safe to say that this is, in the least surprising turn of events of the century, a damn great album. I prefer the Culto songs to Fenriz's ones as I have done for the last couple of albums but all are good.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 pm 

I'm liking it overall but I still see Laeve No Cross Unturned as the best song on the album.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:43 am 

Has anyone from the United States ordered this from Peaceville (Burning Shed) and NOT received it yet? I preordered the vinyl in January, then on February 25th I got an email stating that it was shipped. Still nothing though :-/ I order cd's and vinyl from overseas a lot so I'm used to waiting, but what's odd is that the Mysticum reissue (also on Peaceville) arrived only 6 days after being shipped! Just wondering what other peoples experiences are.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:34 pm 

Finally got around listening to it. Pretty damn killer. The complete Leave no Cross Unturned is really nice and a great way to close the album. I don't understand the thing about making it two songs. It's really not the first long song to have several distinct parts, it can be quite normal actually. The transitions don't need to be super-smooth either, while there's not really any transition here, I thought the song still flowed pretty well.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:51 pm 

This new album is great, not as good as the last two, in my opinion, but still solid. Dig that solo at the end of Lesser Men, wow! Love the noisy shred. Nocturno's songs have really grown on me. Fenriz is still great fun, but Nocturno comes off as a more serious and better songwriter, and the songs are better for it. That thrashy riff near the end of Come Warfare, The Entire Doom is incredible! The melodic bridge on The Ones You Left Behind is great also. Some flashes of brilliance on this album, but unfortunately some of it is just too meh and brings it down a bit. Still a very fun and enjoyable listen.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:53 pm 

1st Darkthrone album ive listened too and i bloody loved it. Some great riffs (i love the overall tone the guitars create on this album), awsome drumming and the vocals are brilliant. Leave no Cross Unturned and Valkyrie are my pick of the bunch but its really theres no weak song on here.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 pm 

I'm on the fence regarding the couple of songs I listened to on Youtube... "Leave no Cross unturned" is fun, but dear lord, that is one looong song, and I'm not entirely convinced it earns its length. "Valkyrie" did flat out nothing for me, sorry. But I haven't listened to a proper physical copy of TUR yet, so I can't comment on how those songs work in their "natural environment".

I don't think this will top Darkthrone's last couple of releases, though...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm 

^ I actually found Valkyrie one of the weakest tracks, which seems to be a less popular opinion, but I think it's one of the more obviously riff deficient songs on there, which really did need to lose a minute or two, or add in an extra riff. Leave No Cross is in a similar boat I guess, but I think the vocal hook and riff is better, so I don't mind, definitely didn't need the second slow part though. Try out Lesser Men, which is slower, and as such doesn't sound so repetetive, and Come Warfare, the Entire Doom, which I think is the best song on here, although the fast riff does over play a little, it just rules though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 pm 

Valkyrie is my favorite track on the album, it got this doomy epic vibe that I really like and Fenriz' vocals are <333.

Also, what's up with his pictures in the booklet? Man Fenriz, we know you're silly, no need to take pics of you skying and petting a dog!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Valkyrie is my favorite track on the album, it got this doomy epic vibe that I really like and Fenriz' vocals are <333.

Also, what's up with his pictures in the booklet? Man Fenriz, we know you're silly, no need to take pics of you skying and petting a dog!

I assume that's just what he was doing on that particular Wednesday. I guess you ain't about that life.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 pm 

I listened to part of a song, when the singing started I had to turn it off.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

oh, you mean those heavy metal vocals from that heavy metal album?

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm 

I now gave the whole albuma go on Youtube (just once, mind you, so this is not to be taken as a final analysis)...

"Dead Early": Servicable, if somewhat unremarkable and not as good an opener as "These Shores are damned", for example...

"Valkyrie": Still can't get into that one. That one main riff is kinda epic and moody, and you can tell that the band is really in love with it, but overall the song is lacking in something. Throughout it, I wished they'd cut loose and go full Cirith Ungol circa "King of the Dead" on that one, but they don't and they hold back on really memorable melodies. Fenriz' vocals are somewhat goofy, but endearing.

"Lesser Men": That one's to me also somewhat unremarkable, so it fits the overall design of the album up to that point... sorry, this one didn't really strike me in one way or another.

"The Ones You Left Behind": That one's pretty good and I can see it become my personal favorite for my eventual quick TUR fix, as "Splitkein Fever" has become to me for FOAD or "Those Treasures will never befall you" for CTW.

"Come Warfare, The Entire Doom": Moody, atmospheric and overall more lively sounding than the first three songs, this one also gets a lot of mileage out of its riff-set. Liked that one.

"Leave no Cross unturned": The most fun song on TUR, but honestly, now I'm pretty convinced it could lose a good four to five minutes and not miss ANYTHING. Still, the best hook on the entire record... "LEEEAAAVE... NOOOOO... CROSS ... LEAVENOCROSSUNTURNED !"

So, that's my five cents... overall, the last three songs are imo much stronger than the first half of that record.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:48 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

oh, you mean those heavy metal vocals from that heavy metal album?

Well I must have listened to the worst song before because I'm skimming through the entire album and it's actually not too bad. I just don't like that weird chanting vocal style, it sounds goofy. I will give the album a more serious listen when I'm not supposed to be working. I thought their last 2 albums were pretty terrible minus a few songs, so I wasn't expecting much from this one either.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am 

I tried to listen to the whole album and the only song that I like is "The Ones You Left Behind". Yet, I dislike the slower part, and if the heavy metal vocals are well composed, they're not sung very accurately...

Is it Nocturno Culto who sings on this song? His vocals are pretty bad during the whole album, I hate this kind of self-caricatural voice.

Besides, the album does not sound as traditional as it tries to... Am I the only one to find that it sounds a bit like modern Norwegian black metal?

And in the end, still no frank punk influence to be heard... But a lot of stoner, heavy-speed, old school thrash and hard rock influences.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11