Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ArciniuM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm 

I haven't seen any thread about this, so here we go.
Finsterforst just released their new album, 'Rastlos'...
Third times a charm for these German accordion-wielding bushfolk. I haven't heard it yet (or been able to find it online) but from the reviews I have read for 'rastlos' have given them 90-100%, positioning them beside or damn close to Moonsorrow for the genre leaders. "Zum.." was a great album, containing one of the best songs I have heard in recent memory, but suffered a bit from repetitiveness due to the length and sterile lead vocals. Apparently they have remedied this, putting out a potential classic of the genre.
Has anyone heard the album, or as excited as I am?

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 pm 

I've ordered my copy through Amazon, supposed to get it on Tuesday. Sounded pretty cool from the sampling I've done, though this will be the first thing I've picked up by this band.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 pm 

Have Zum Tode Hin in my car's CD player at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot. Gonna give it some more time to grow on me and I can imagine this band becoming one of my favorites of the genre. Yep, I think I'll be picking this one up.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:05 am 

Once again the instrumental aspect is amazing and is some of the best for the genre. But once again the vocals just kill it for me.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:52 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Once again the instrumental aspect is amazing and is some of the best for the genre. But once again the vocals just kill it for me.

I believe they have a new vocalist on this album to! I loved the last two albums so cant wait to hear this on, wish the mail would hurry up. The reviews I have read so far have all been great, from what I gather they take a darker approach this time.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 am 

I remember listening to ...zum Tode hin and thinking it sounded identical to Kivenkantaja-era Moonsorrow, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. I'll give this one a try soon.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm 

I just picked up their new CD today. Wow, this is fantastic. It's easily my favorite folk/viking metal album to come out this year. In my opinion these guys beat Moonsorrow at their own game, because their songs are much more interesting and they incorporate a lot more variety in them. My only complaint about their earlier albums was how one dimensional the vocals were, but on this new album that's fixed by adding a lot more clean vocals.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 pm 

Three minutes into Stirbt Zuletzt, and so far so good. Really like the accordion, definitely used to really enhance the music and not just a gimmick. Love the cover art too, probably the best I've seen this year. Normally I like my folk metal either in the over the top Finntroll/Korpiklaani way or the power metal infused Ensiferum way; not normally too keen on this slower Hammerheart style, but this is really nice.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 pm 

I like the new album. It's definitely different than the first two. The accordion and folkiness are toned down, and it's still epic but darker than before. I guess I would compare it to the darker direction that Moonsorrow has taken on the last few albums (particularly the latest). The use of clean vocals has increased, and the album seems to be influenced by some of the atmospheric or "post" black metal bands like Fen or Wodensthrone.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:

It is indeed a new vocalist. And it indeed makes all the difference with this band. The song I previewed on YouTube was fantastic, and the other poster saying that they beat Moonsorrow at their own game.... well, you're probably right.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:58 pm 

I didn't listen to entire album, but it sounded pretty good. This year is very generous with viking/pagan/folk releases/

Reply to topic