Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm 

THIS IS AWESOME.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 pm 

I was really, really underwhelmed with BO, I hated it. Bored me to absolute tears... Although I think time may exaggerate my opinions, I've probably only escalated it to shitfest after not listening to it for like three years, if I gave it another go I'd probably just find it dull.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:01 am 

Excellent, multi-layered, complex album. Amazing stuff. I fully expected to be let down but this is really very good. Sullen Days is so far my favorite track. The production is great even if a bit on the clean side. Every note can be heard on the guitars which is why I don't complain about the tone and production when it's done so well like this. Song structures, drumming, transitions, and some terrific leads that either blend in or stand out in fine form. It's just such a tight-knit, close-fitting, and cohesive machine with awesome musicianship across the board and I can tell it's going to improve with every listen...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
This a good, respectable effort, which doesn't really impress in any particular way.

This pretty much sums it up. I like it, I think it's very good and certainly not an unworthy entry in Suffo's legacy, but... eh. There aren't any intangibles or superlatives, it's just another Suffocation record. Which puts it about on par with Souls to me, which I guess makes it tied for their best reunion record.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:32 pm 

I listened to this like, eight times today. Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I don't listen to a ton of death metal, but this hits all the right pleasure centers with me.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 am 

The title sounds like the name of a bad episode from Supernatural.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:14 am 

I listened to this as well as the new Devourment for the first time on a drive home for college today. This was fucking great. Every song is fucking pummeling.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:55 am 

As one of the handful of people who think Souls to Deny has been Suffocation's best album (thanks mostly to the song distinction and melodicism, two characteristics the band isn't usually known for), I can say I'm pretty damned pleased with Pinnacle, as StD is the closest comparison point. The guitars are actually doing something interesting and lively the majority of the time, in contrast to the previous two albums, where everything just kind of spun around and around with no real direction or momentum. These feel like songs, thank god. It's not their heaviest, obviously (for me, that's Pierced), but it's way more focused than I was expecting. I'm really, really glad these guys put out something that breaks the pattern of their recent past.

By the way, you can order the standard jewel case version for $9.99 from Best Buy's site, of all places, and they don't have a minimum order for free shipping.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:53 pm 

Just ordered!!!

Brutal as fuck... Suffocation reign supreme!!!

"You make it easy."

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:59 am 

Absolute fucking brutality. There is nothing more that I can say about this I don't care for the production, but the riffs, brutality, and just intensity of the songs will lay to waste any shit occult death metal or worthless throwbacks to a bygone era of dm that any shit upstart band could ever attempt to do. This is where Despise the sun left off and they completely left that tepid riffs of Blood Oath behind, this band truly is the last old school death metal band left standing. Suffocation are the kings of death metal, this may very well be my album of the year.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm 

video for new song 'As Grace Descends'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... hEfCoWjWnI

amazing brutality!!!

0.54 :lol:

"You make it easy."

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm 

This video is amazing for two reasons. 1) Frank Mullen is the best frontman in death metal, the dude looks SO HAPPY to be doing what he does. The amount of smiles and lightheartedness in the genre is somewhere close to zero, so it's really awesome seeing somebody so charismatic have so much fun with it. 2) The entire bar does the jazz hands at the same time at 2:30.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:42 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The entire bar does the jazz hands at the same time at 2:30.

Everyone, especially the ladies, love hand chop. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
The entire bar does the jazz hands at the same time at 2:30.

Everyone, especially the ladies, love hand chop. :lol:

Five years ago, I was buying tickets to see Suffocation. I was out in the area already, so I stopped by a local Carson Prairie Scott because there was a Ticketmaster inside the store. I go in and wait in line amidst all these soccer moms getting tickets for whatever it is soccer moms do. I get up to the desk and ask for three for Suffocation, immediately causing every pair of eyes in the immediate vicinity to shoot me a judgmental glare. The poor old lady behind the desk informs me that I can't use my debit card for some reason, and that I'll have to come back with cash. Frustrated, I turn to leave to find an ATM, and as I leave I cross paths and make eye contact with this stereotypical wigger kid. Big baggy shorts, basketball jersey, crooked flatbill cap, exactly what you're imagining is exactly what they looked like. I wander outside, find an ATM, get my cash, and go back to the store (this took about six or seven minutes). When I got back to the Ticketmaster, there were suddenly tons of people waiting. Despondent, I get to the back of the line, only for the lady at the desk to call me forward. She held up the entire line for me. Everybody had to wait for the long haired beardo, and that wigger kid was giving me the most directly threatening glare I'd ever witness. I sheepishly go up and ask again "Uhh... three for... Suffocation please". The wigger then perks up, looks directly at me and says "Dude, Suffocation?!" He then does the jazz hand and says "Great band!"

The moral of this story: 1) Always carry cash and 2) EVERYONE loves the hand chop.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm 

:lol:

I've seen lots of grind bands do the jazz hands as well. That video was great. No frills. It makes me want to spin the record again.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:09 pm 

The video's awesome. I remember not really liking As Grace Descends when it was first released, but the more I've listened to it the more I've come to enjoy the crap out of it, especially when it gets thrashy near the end.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm 

Awesome video and great album in my opinion. I love that Dave Culross is back in the band! I can't wait to get the damn vinyl in the mail!!!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 pm 

New North American tour announced!. I'm hopeful I'll get to see Suffocation live FOR THE FIRST FUCKING TIME! So yeah, I'm excited. :D

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

Has anyone here seen Suffocation with Bill Robinson singing? The videos I've seen of him with them really did not impress me.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
video for new song 'As Grace Descends'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... hEfCoWjWnI

amazing brutality!!!

0.54 :lol:

Alright, I'm stupid. Who's the blonde chick with the Suffocation shirt? X_X

nr655321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:03 am 

Subrick wrote:
Has anyone here seen Suffocation with Bill Robinson singing? The videos I've seen of him with them really did not impress me.

Well I was at the first show they did without Frank (Warsaw, Poland) and it was pretty fucking awesome I think. Bill did a pretty good job. Also, they played nothing but OLD stuff (first three records) so that was a real treat for us fans.

Back to subject: I kind of disliked the video. I mean come on: chicks and Suffo music? Nah, i'd rather enjoy these two things separately.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 am 

nr655321 wrote:
Back to subject: I kind of disliked the video. I mean come on: chicks and Suffo music? Nah, i'd rather enjoy these two things separately.

I hope you're not referring to the audience. Do you think they're there for the male fan's enjoyment? Misogynic twat :scratch:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 am 

well I watched the video... the video is meh as fuck. I guess they just wanted to have fun with it and that's fine and all but it really seemed like a beatdown hardcore band vid.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
nr655321 wrote:

I hope you're not referring to the audience. Do you think they're there for the male fan's enjoyment? Misogynic twat :scratch:

I think he means the obvious sexy dancing and pseudo-striptease which is pretty obviously out of place. Women in the crowd? Who gives a fuck? Practically strippers? Yeah I can see why that doesn't belong in a Suffocation video.

nr655321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 pm 

BastardHead: thanks for elucidating my point.

Ilwhyan: I am speechless... I wasn't expecting the PC police to intervene on a metal forum in a post about a band which is all about rape, killing and so on.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 pm 

Come on Ilwhyan, the guy with the unpronoucable names with many useless numbers said nothing wrong... Please don't throw insults like these. Shitty video though, but yeah most of these promo videos are lame.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:24 am 

While not surprising, the video is pretty sexist with the stripper-like dancing and crawling on the bar that the blond does as well as the two women fighting. And the video is good material for the 'Metal and idealization of alcohol'-thread started some time ago by drone. Not to mention the seizure-inducing editing. As for the song itself, there are some moments that are very much like Despise the Sun part II, but at other times it is pretty damn dull and I'm not too keen on the production though that's been mentioned before.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 am 

I thought it was pretty decent, though I don't really expect much from music videos at the best of times. It was fun to watch though. The part with everyone doing the handchop was cool too.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 am 

I don't see what gone wrong in the video. Why brutal death and women should be two separate things?
It's only fun.
Curious to hear an opinion of a girl on this topic.

"You make it easy."

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
I don't see what gone wrong in the video. Why brutal death and women should be two separate things?
It's only fun.
Curious to hear an opinion of a girl on this topic.

I agree with this. Some might see it as being a bit misogynistic , and I see where those folks come from, but I think that's bullshit.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

nr655321
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 am 

You make me wanna puke my guts out. God fucking damn we're on a extreme metal forum and you pussies keep on preaching about sexism, equal rights and other petty things like that. No wonder nowadays metal is so pussified. So long then. Enjoy your PC, I'll stick to my old school values.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 pm 

:lol:

equal rights is for pussies. this dude just said that.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm 

nr655321 wrote:
You make me wanna puke my guts out. God fucking damn we're on a extreme metal forum and you pussies keep on preaching about sexism, equal rights and other petty things like that. No wonder nowadays metal is so pussified. So long then. Enjoy your PC, I'll stick to my old school values.

And by "old school values", do you mean "women belong in the kitchen"? Seriously, fuck you.

As for the new Suffocation album..... I think I'll pass. It's very, very dull and uninteresting (and this is coming from someone who likes the self titled!). For now, I'll stick to Pierced from Within.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm 

nr-random numbers I guess saw that Civil thread and decided "Hey! I can be just like that!"

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

nr655321 wrote:

"You make it easy."

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 pm 

nr655321 wrote:

:violin:

Anyway...

Do good promotional videos exist anymore (or did they ever)? The only positive I can take from this is that there are more women in the video than the one dancing...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm 

You do know she consented to portraying herself as such in the video, right? Or does that escape you idiots? The only portrayal are the vaginas who are screaming "MISOGYNY" AND "OBJECTIFICATION"! :lol:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm 

Eh, I suppose I was pretty stupid to jump the gun like that. I watched the video in parts, and apparently I missed the strip show esque parts the first time. I just saw the blonde chugging down drinks. Apologies. A perfect example why one should familiarise themselves thoroughly with whatever they're commenting. :|

Still, old school values? What ever the fuck that's supposed to mean...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm 

Veracs wrote:
You do know she consented to portraying herself as such in the video, right? Or does that escape you idiots? The only portrayal are the vaginas who are screaming "MISOGYNY" AND "OBJECTIFICATION"! :lol:

Of course we know it's consensual. That doesn't make it any less stupid or unnecessary.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:53 pm 

The title should have 'artwork' removed from the title.

But holy shit, this album is still kicking my ass. Not a bad or boring song on this one. Best thing since Pierced.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next