* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
its not fake, I can attest to that

Please proceed! That's what makes it...you know, believable?

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 am 

fine then don't believe me, I really don't give a rats ass. it should be up on the blogs everywhere by tomorrow...

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
fine then don't believe me, I really don't give a rats ass. it should be up on the blogs everywhere by tomorrow...

:brick:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:28 am 

Leaked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evbyPI1xSC8

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:44 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
its not fake, I can attest to that

Ah. Well, I came across a junk link but I do see it now. It seems legit.

omnishadow wrote:

This track didn't sit well with me. The vocals are killer though, I'll give you that.

deltawing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 am 

Almost halfway through the new album, it's pretty awesome so far.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 am 

Wow. How is that leaded, already?

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:38 am 

The new album isn't that great. It has its moments, but it's quite bland overall. It is essentially a modern update of Heartwork so if you loved that album, you'll love this. I was never that big a fan of Heartwork. The last track, Mount of Execution, they have tried to write an 'epic' song, and it works for the most part. Definitely the most interesting song on the album.

EDIT: Fixed my last sentence. For some reason a part of it was deleted.

Last edited by By_Inheritance on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Wow. How is that leaded, already?

There are a few reviews out

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 am 

The third track reminds me of Pantera a bit towards the end. Anyone else hear that?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:52 am 

By_Inheritance wrote:
The new album isn't that great. It has its moments, but it's quite bland overall. It is essentially a modern update of Heartwork so if you loved that album, you'll love this. I was never that big a fan of Heartwork. The last track, Mount of Execution, is interesting zlbum, put it that way.

Oh my, based on that and another review, it sounds like album of the year to me. To top that off, Avulsed and Broken Hope are coming out soon.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:51 pm 

Heard the whole thing and I like it, a lot. A good mix of their entire discigraphy, I can hear elements of everything from Reek to Swansong, although it borrows the most heavily from Necrotism and Heartwork. The drumming is a lot more intense(although I'll always love Ken Owen) and the songs sound less visceral but more intense in general compared to classic-era Carcass. Obviously doesn't beat their classics but overall a very solid work indeed, Walker sounds awesome and Steer's playing is spotless.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 pm 

What do you all think of the last song? It's definitely different and I love it. I almost wish they would have done an entire album of stuff like that (perhaps released under a different name).

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:35 pm 

Listening to it now. Stylistically, it would fit between Necroticism and Heartwork, like most people expected. It's not really like either, however. It borrows from both, but it's definitely mostly in a different style overall than most Carcass material.

I wish every song wasn't an outright speed demon throughout with a few melodic parts thrown in. The slower, mid-paced stuff on Necro is sorely missed here. And Bill does do vocals, but very very sparingly, and seemingly not even on most of the songs, which is another disappointment.

On the upside, Bill is still a guitar god and Jeff sounds better than ever.

I'd rank the albums like this upon first listen:

Necroticism
Symphonies
Reek
Surgical Steel
Heartwork
Swansong

So, not bad overall, but... it doesn't sound like Carcass. If it wasn't for Jeff's vocals, you'd be hard pressed to identify it as a Carcass album. Even again, Carcass has never sounded the same from one album to the next. This is another different style for them, with influences from their good shit.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 pm 

A lot of the songs sounds pretty same-y to me. Maybe they will differentiate themselves with time. Maybe not. But it's not bad for what it is.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:49 pm 

Listening session here.

For now it's what I expected: solid death-grind NecroWork influenced. Really excited, can't wait for its release

"You make it easy."

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21 pm 

I really enjoyed it. Only song I didn't like as much was 316 L Grade Surgical Steel. Main riff is kinda bleh

Everything else is awesome though. The Dark Satanic Granulating Mills takes the Swansong approach but bridges it with their previous material. Favorite tracks were Thrasher's Abbatoir, Noncompliance to ASTM 899-12 Standard, and The Master Butcher's Apron

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm 

Listened to a few tracks, enjoyable but nothing special, sounds too safe.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:53 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:

I gotta disagree with you. I think they'd be "playing it safe" if they never released anything.

The fact that they can release an album this long after their last release, and have it sound like Carcass without necessarily sounding like any one of their previous releases is impressive. Since Carcass pretty much went from one extreme to another (goregrind to death metal to melodic death to heavy classic rock influence) they're able to take little bits from what they've done before to make something new.

By no means an album that will change metal forever, but a solid release that stands up to their previous material.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 pm 

I'm about halfway through it right now, and I'm really liking it. It's one of those albums that you can't help but bob your head to as you listen to it. It still sounds like Carcass while updating their sound, the drumming is great, the production isn't shitty at all (so far it's one of Sneap's best that I've heard), Bill Steer's vocals are still damn good, and it's just a great album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:38 pm 

It's a good album. I miss Heartwork production, but this is fine for what they're going for. Jeff sounds vicious, even though his vocal lines are very similar in a lot of the songs it seems. After one listen, only Granulating Satanic Mills had a noticeable and catchy chorus. I kind of wish they'd varied in tempo more besides on the last song, as I think somebody else also pointed out. The entire album is all GOTTA GO FAST and some of the riffs are also same-y.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:50 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:

Sorry Folkemon but seconded I don't agree with you. I don' t think Surgical is safe, just for the aggressive vocals, the distorting guitar tone, the drums that destroy the ears.

Right, this is not Reek or Symphonies, but it's Carcass 2013 sound, writing and playing by a mature Jeff and Bill.

If there is only a prejudice on the Carcass reunion, it is not a proof of a bad album itself.
IMHO

"You make it easy."

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:56 pm 

Listening to it now, Jeff sounds good, where the hell are Bill's vocals? Also, for the first few songs, can't say any riffs have really stood out. This is definitely going to require a few more listens to see if anything sinks in.

Oh, there Bill is, seems like he's dropping a word or two here and there. Exhume To Consume this is not.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:27 pm 

Yeah, the biggest disappointment is that Bill barely does vocals at all. Would it really have killed him to do some on the new album? He still does vocals on some of the older songs live, but other times he doesn't, which leads me to believe he doesn't really like doing them anymore. He'd be forced to do them live if the new album featured his vocals heavily.

But still, it would have added a lot to the album if he did take part more than a barely-audible backup word once every few songs.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Yeah, the biggest disappointment is that Bill barely does vocals at all. Would it really have killed him to do some on the new album? He still does vocals on some of the older songs live, but other times he doesn't, which leads me to believe he doesn't really like doing them anymore. He'd be forced to do them live if the new album featured his vocals heavily.

But still, it would have added a lot to the album if he did take part more than a barely-audible backup word once every few songs.

I recall Jeff Walker hinting in that Carcass doco The Pathologist's Report (it's on youtube) that he wanted Bill to do vocals on Heartwork, but Bill did not want to. Maybe Bill is shy and insecure.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:11 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Listening to it now, Jeff sounds good, where the hell are Bill's vocals? Also, for the first few songs, can't say any riffs have really stood out. This is definitely going to require a few more listens to see if anything sinks in.

+1.

viewtopic.php?p=2295771#p2295771

BasqueStorm wrote:
The Lions Den wrote:
Carcass S@@gi@@l S@ee@
First listenings and first impressions are very high!!!
Wake up and smell the Carcass :metal:

Not for me. I have listened to it twice and... not sure what to think.
Nothing sticks in my head despite the aggressive vocals!

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 pm 

What surprises me is how incredibly early this was leaked. Obviously it's a review copy, but 6 weeks in advance is pretty damn early when albums these days are unlikely to leak more than a day or two in advance.

I wonder if they'll bump up the release date. A leak this early is going to affect record sales pretty badly, I'd guess.

Last edited by Stabwound on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:23 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
What surprises me is how incredibly early this was leaked. Obviously it's a review copy, but 6 months in advance is pretty damn early when albums these days are unlikely to leak more than a day or two in advance.

I wonder if they'll bump up the release date. A leak this early is going to affect record sales pretty badly, I'd guess.

September 13 is not six months away.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:44 pm 

I meant 6 weeks, obviously. Mistake. But the point still stands: 6 weeks is a huge gap between leak and release.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
I meant 6 weeks, obviously. Mistake. But the point still stands: 6 weeks is a huge gap between leak and release.

I don't know, have you seen how many vinyl editions there are for this album? Think it's better to listen to it first before splurging on pre-orders, so it's more good than bad that it's been leaked.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:27 pm 

Heard like 4 or 5 times in a row and its pretty decent but nothing spectacular. Vocals are the best aspect of the album and those would have been even better if Bill appeared more. There are some nice riffs here and there but there are also a ton of average ones. The Master's Butcher Apron is fucking excellent; whereas the more Heartwork/Swansong styled tracks blows.

The snare on the blasts sounds noticeably low tho.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:43 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
There are some nice riffs here and there but there are also a ton of average ones.

Best summary of the album I've heard yet.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 pm 

Stabwound wrote:

I think its better this way, rather than say, Morbid Angel, where that album was out the weekend before it's release. It's like not screening a movie for critics, which is usually a bad sign.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 pm 

Not sure if I want to give it a listen or wait til the release date. Very hard decision. Everything I'm reading, however seems to indicate that I will absolutely love everything about this album. Sounds like top 10 of the year material for sure.

Fuck it. Im gonna download it...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm 

I like all this talk about all the songs being fast, sounds right up my alley. I like the relentless approach when so many bands pussify and slow down with age. I'm reading all the so called negative points on here and I'm ticking approval and eagerness for each one.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 pm 

Dynamics like that have been missing in metal album production for a while. Makes it feel more human and less machine-like.

As I said before, this is one of Andy Sneap's best mixing jobs ever. Even better than his mix for Human Remains by Hell.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm 

Unfit for Human Consumption has this oddly catchy riff at 1:01 that simply outdo the rest of the track. The drumming helps a lot too, the china strokes are totally perfect there.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 pm 

Been listening to this all day, and it's really grown on me. It's not really like anything Carcass done before, that's for sure. And I wish Bill did more vocals, because the ones he does do sound forced "because we're going oldschool you see" and almost don't even sound like Bill. Sounds more like Jeff's Bill imitation he does during concerts these days for the older songs.

Jeff is still one of the best grind/death vocalists there is, and that's impressive for a middle-aged dude who's been doing this his whole life. He sounds as good or better than he did 20 years ago.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:49 am 

Very simpel. The album is just Carcass awesome. Im glad they are back to this style. Grind on!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 am 

Marmer wrote:
Very simpel. The album is just Carcass awesome. Im glad they are back to this style. Grind on!

Hahaha Sir Marmer, you have undoubtful good taste :-D

"You make it easy."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next