Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 pm 

Song wasn't bad. They called the sound they went for. I think an album of songs like this wouldn't be that great, but this does keep my interest alive. Hopefully a US tour is planned and I'll get a chance to see them.

mangamusicfan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:31 pm 

new song is pretty good can't wait for the rest!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:58 pm 

Mmm! This is tasty. Definitely sounds like Carcass, though I can't pinpoint an exact era, which is nice; it's a nice fusion of their past with a modern presentation.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:12 pm 

So, is there an official release date set yet and if so, when?

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:19 pm 

I like it, sounds like it could have come inbetween Nercotisicm and Heartwork

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:19 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
androdion wrote:
I just don't know how I feel about this song. It does bear a distinctive Heartwork appeal, but it sounds almost like an Exhumed b-side song that never cut it into the final album. I really hope the rest of the album is better than this, I really do...

This song sounds like Exhumed who had inspired their existence all about Carcass?
Hhmm, interesting...

Your point being?

This reminds me of that whole Rotten Sound/Nasum vs Napalm Death discussion. Sure Exhumed are a Carcass clone, but what I meant is that I'd more easily associate that new song with something made by Exhumed rather than Carcass. The polished sound along with the modern production, and even some of the riffs come out more like something Exhumed would do rather than the classic Carcass sound, as paradoxical as that may sound.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:28 pm 

The new song is a solid one. It sounds like an outtake from Heartwork, but that's ok. I'm interested in hearing the rest of this album and Bill Steer's vocals.

tcgjarhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:42 pm 

androdion wrote:
Your point being?

This reminds me of that whole Rotten Sound/Nasum vs Napalm Death discussion. Sure Exhumed are a Carcass clone, but what I meant is that I'd more easily associate that new song with something made by Exhumed rather than Carcass. The polished sound along with the modern production, and even some of the riffs come out more like something Exhumed would do rather than the classic Carcass sound, as paradoxical as that may sound.

His point being of course it sounds like Exhumed when Exhumed are aping Carcass. Its like saying Dr. Pepper reminds you of Dr. Thunder because they taste the same. Besides, Necroticism, Heartwork, and Swansong all had non muddy/dirty sounding modern productions for their time so its not that strange really that this album does too.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:47 pm 

So, seriously, does anyone know if this album has a set release date yet?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:02 pm 

tcgjarhead wrote:
androdion wrote:
Your point being?

His point being of course it sounds like Exhumed when Exhumed are aping Carcass. Its like saying Dr. Pepper reminds you of Dr. Thunder because they taste the same. Besides, Necroticism, Heartwork, and Swansong all had non muddy/dirty sounding modern productions for their time so its not that strange really that this album does too.

Which then again makes me point to the remaining part of my response.

Carcass came first, Exhumed copied them. That's a fact. What's also a fact is that Exhumed and Carcass sound similar because of that, but, and here's the important part, you can perfectly distinguish between both bands. Sure thing, you can add Impaled to the argument as well, another Carcass clone. But can't you distinguish between all three of them? Here comes Ghould, another Carcass aping band, although thrashier sure. But again I ask, can't you distinguish between the four of them? See where I'm going with this?! It's not that they're already similar by nature, it's that this new song is something that you could present to someone and the response would be "Who's this? Exhumed/Impaled/insert generic Carcass clone band?". It doesn't bare that distinctiveness that one expects from Carcass, that shimmering glow of being something better than the endless wave of clones that emerged from the original act. That was pretty much my argument from the start.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:46 pm 

tcgjarhead wrote:
His point being of course it sounds like Exhumed when Exhumed are aping Carcass.

Exhumed is by far the best (well, maybe Pathologist and the first General Surgery album) Carcass clone to walk this earth. Why not imitate them, especially since Carcass themselves forgot how to be Carcass and turned into Bon Jovi for a couple of albums?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:56 pm 

the County Medical Examiners straight up do the best impression of Carcass cause they said they pretty much just rearrange Carcass songs and largely it does sound like that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:19 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
tcgjarhead wrote:
His point being of course it sounds like Exhumed when Exhumed are aping Carcass.

Exhumed is by far the best (well, maybe Pathologist and the first General Surgery album) Carcass clone to walk this earth. Why not imitate them, especially since Carcass themselves forgot how to be Carcass and turned into Bon Jovi for a couple of albums?

A album. As in one.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:21 pm 

Conservationism wrote:

Do you ever get tired of saying stupid shit?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:23 pm 

Between Conservationism calling Heartwork a Bon Jovi album and droneriot saying that Captive Bolt Pistol is completely without worth, this thread is getting mighty dumb mighty quick.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A album. As in one.

You're right; Swansong is one album. I should start referring to it as Slippery When Wet.

However, Heartwork was completely lame too; a rehash of the last fifteen years of heavy metal with death metal vocals and faster drumming.

I think they just wanted to show off their newfound instrumental skill.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 pm 

I am really into this new track. They've been away for a very long time and still sound brand new. This is fucking great! The comparisons to Necroticism and Heartwork are right on, though I think it leans more towards Heartwork than Necroticism. Very nasty, capturing the heart of Carcass, but still very clean and precise. I'm looking forward to the new album now more than ever.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:09 pm 

I actually really liked the beginning. This'll be a killer record for sure

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:24 pm 

Liking the track. They delivered exactly what they promised.

Conservationism wrote:
Subrick wrote:
A album. As in one.

You're right; Swansong is one album. I should start referring to it as Slippery When Wet.

However, Heartwork was completely lame too; a rehash of the last fifteen years of heavy metal with death metal vocals and faster drumming.

I think they just wanted to show off their newfound instrumental skill.

.......excuse me while I microwave my head.

Seriously though, I don't think your description of Heartwork is accurate. No record sounded like when it came out and to this day nothing sounds exactly like it. It did certainly borrow from thrash and nwobhm but to say it rehashed it is a totally different thing. I respectfully disagree.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm 

Lightsbane wrote:
No record sounded like when it came out and to this day nothing sounds exactly like it.

Actually, there were a bunch of albums that sounded similar at the time. Let me see if I can remember. It always reminded me of bands like Forbidden or Annihilator, but a more aggressive attack and with death metal vocals. Then at about the same time, there were bands like Cemetary and Dark Tranquility coming out with similar releases.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 pm 

I already stated long ago in this thread probably that I never cared for heartwork, this new song proved to be just what I expected. More disappointing meh material. Oh well. I could've dreamed it would've been something more to my liking.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:26 pm 

This new track is only one of (like) 12. It could be non-representative.

Still, the direction seems clear...

I was kind of hoping they'd do something totally different. Hard rock is way played, more than their old grindcore. But there are new areas to explore also...

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:57 pm 

Loved the new song! very excited about the new album!!!

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 am 

I was worried when I first heard heard they were making a new album (i expected something swansong-esque) but this song completely took me by surprise. I am very excited and I hope the release date is announced soon.

Last edited by ~Guest 294409 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 am 

It sounds like a follow-up of heartwork. Super heavy, but still with some melody. I love it!

Last edited by infinitenexus on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:15 am 

I know some people are going to be super butthurt because they aren't putting out goregrind anymore, and they'll just come in here and shit all over the thread. It sucks, they sold out, blah blah. Can't please everyone. I think the song is fucking great though.

Last edited by infinitenexus on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:48 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
So, seriously, does anyone know if this album has a set release date yet?

September, but when hasn't been specified yet.

Tangential but still germane to the thread: Change =/= evolution. It's intellectually dishonest to use those words as if they're synonymous when they're not. This goes doubly for bands, reviewers, etc. defending an album that's been panned after its release and just happens to be in a markedly different and often simpler style than that which previous albums had established.

Anyway... welcome back, Carcass.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 am 

I really like this song and the production to boot is really great. Im really excited now to hear the album!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 am 

Must say that I was a bit apprehensive before clicking "play", but i liked it. Sounds really good.
Welcome back Carcass.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 am 

@androdion
Just my point is Carcass are recognizable among a thousand of clones, valid or not. Just think of Jeff's voice that is unique in grind genre, or Steer's sharp riffs and his lead so wickedly melodic and surgical.
As good as are Exhumed is, always they remain clones.

For the direction of the album, I think it's the right continuation between the sound of Necroticism and Heartwork.
If someone expect a real back to roots, sorry but I think it was an utopia.
I appreciated in the same way the two periods of the band (not including Swansong) then I'm fine with this direction of the new album.

Grind on!

"You make it easy."

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 am 

The riffs suck.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:45 am 

Itll be even better if its the Super Collider of the new Megadeth. Really enjoyed the song, but just imagine if its the worst on the album.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am 

New track sounds like a Heartwork reject which was a crap album anyway

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:02 am 

Those who enjoyed the track either really love the style or are content with very little. It was very unimpressive. Like someone said, Carcass clones have been doing a much better job, my favourite being Impaled.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
@androdion
Just my point is Carcass are recognizable among a thousand of clones, valid or not. Just think of Jeff's voice that is unique in grind genre, or Steer's sharp riffs and his lead so wickedly melodic and surgical.
As good as are Exhumed is, always they remain clones.

Yeah, but my point was exactly that. That the song sounds like something anyone (read: any Carcass clone band) could've made. And that was my sole point of contention from the start.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:36 pm 

androdion wrote:
Yeah, but my point was exactly that. That the song sounds like something anyone (read: any Carcass clone band) could've made. And that was my sole point of contention from the start.

Sorry mate but I have to disagree.
I think 'Captive bolt pistol' it's just the band intended grindcore in 2013, and above all, they hit the target.

It's 100% Carcass cause here we have their trademark and copyright in grind:
1) Jeff's voice
2) Bill's riffing and soloing.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm also skeptical about this reunion, but listening to 'Captive...' changing all.

"You make it easy."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:58 pm 

It's cool bro, no harm no foul. We'll just have to disagree about the song then. ;) I do hope the rest is better, as I've said from the start.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 pm 

It seems that Nuclear Blast got that video taken off youtube. Revolver has it though, in case anyone wants to listen to it some more.
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/new-car ... nline.html

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:31 pm 

Yeah, this song is far, far away from being a grindcore song, The Lion's Den.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Yeah, this song is far, far away from being a grindcore song, The Lion's Den.

It's all about what do you mean for the term 'grindcore'.

Captive sounds grind to me like Necroticism album.

*Abrasive vocals: check
*Grinding guitar tone: check
*Blastbeat: check
*Gore lyrics: check
*Grinding feelings: check

"You make it easy."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next