Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 am 

I don't know how many of you knew this already, and it may not be worth its own thread but oh well.

Quote:
Reactivated British extreme metal legends CARCASS are rumored to be putting the finishing touches on their first studio album in 17 years with acclaimed producer Colin Richardson (FEAR FACTORY, MACHINE HEAD, NAPALM DEATH, SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE). The band has yet to secure a label home for the effort, which is expected in early 2013.

Guitarist Michael Amott and drummer Daniel Erlandsson, who have been touring with CARCASS since the band's reunion was announced in 2007, are no longer involved with the group due to scheduling conflicts with their main band, ARCH ENEMY. Joining guitarist Bill Steer and bassist/vocalist Jeff Walker in the studio for the new CD recording sessions was drummer Matthias Voigt of German death metal and hardcore fusionists HEAVEN SHALL BURN.

CARCASS is in the process of booking a number of live shows for 2013, including appearances at next year's Maryland Deathfest and Chile's Metal Fest.

In a May 2012 interview with Metal Forces, Amott said about CARCASS' future plans, "I'm not working with CARCASS at the moment. From what I hear they're working on something new, but it's not with me. I'm not included in it. I don't know. I don't comment. [laughs] I don't really know what they're working on, so it's not really for me to say, but whatever it is I wish them well, of course. I had a great time doing the reunion shows; we played a lot of shows in 2008, 2009, 2010, and I had a fantastic time at those shows. I'm a very busy guy as well, so I could see why I wouldn't be included. I've pretty much got a full-time thing going on with ARCH ENEMY, and I'm with SPIRITUAL BEGGARS on top of that. It's very difficult for me to fit in a third band with touring and everything."

CARCASS' last album, 1996's "Swansong", was re-released in July 2008 via Earache Records. The reissue came fully remastered on a DualDisc (combined CD and DVD) in a deluxe digipak with extra artwork and a free sticker sheet featuring exclusive CARCASS designs, and included part 5 of a mini-documentary series entitled "The Pathologist's Report" as bonus video material, plus an exclusive bonus track, "Deathrider Da". The documentary consisted of interviews, filmed in London and Liverpool at the end of 2007, featuring the members of CARCASS — drummer Ken Owen (who is not involved in the band's current reunion because he suffered a near-fatal brain hemorrhage in February 1999 and has had some rather serious health problems since then), Steer, Walker and Amott — who met up for the first time in ten years and were filmed discussing in-depth the story behind the band's development from their gore-soaked grind beginnings to the more refined, melodic moments of their later output.

SOURCE:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=182963

Swansong has a bit of mixed reception around these parts, but overall what are your thoughts and are you expecting a tour after the band plays the few select shows? How do you think the album will turn out?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 am 

I'm excited about it yet slightly cautious. I am hopeful that the "rock n roll" elements will be excised from this material simply because they have had other projects to delve fully into a more rock oriented style. I hope it's not too much to ask for a Heartwork type approach, but chances are we might see something new?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:08 am 

I'll be getting it no matter what. I'm rarely optimistic about these kinds of situations but seeing as Ammott is out of the picture, that can only mean good things.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 am 

It might just be a good thing that Amott's not doing the new Carcass considering how goddamn crappy Arch Enemy have become.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 am 

hopefully it's not going to be hammond organy hippy death rock
it'd be interesting to see what they come out with that's for sure.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:21 am 

Not expecting anything great but Amott being out helps a bit.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:42 am 

Carcass have done a remarkably good impression of not giving a crap about recording new music, so I hope they have their heart in their work, so to speak.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am 

Veracs wrote:
I don't know how many of you knew this already, and it may not be worth its own thread but oh well.

[Blabbermouth article]

Swansong has a bit of mixed reception around these parts, but overall what are your thoughts and are you expecting a tour after the band plays the few select shows? How do you think the album will turn out?

I didn't know, so thanks for the info.

As for my impressions, they will contrast with the ones the thread showed so far, in that I'm not at all optimistic about this new record.

First of all, Carcass had decided not to record any new album when they reformed for gigs chiefly because Ken Owen's health wouldn't allow it, and the others felt that without him, it wouldn't truly be Carcass. Now, that's what some call integrity, although others may point out that touring without him contradicts this, but either way, touring doesn't leave the kind of trace a new album does. So there's that. Apparently enough time has passed that they now feel they can truly be Carcass without Owen... Why?

Second of all, no Amott either?! What?! So not only is it now A-okay to be Carcass without one of the two founding members, who used to contribute moderately to the songwriting process and whose drumming style was important but not the apex of the band... It's also apparently perfectly fine to do without the guy who had become almost as vital to the band songwriting wise as the two mainmen during their greatest era, and whose soloing style was an integral part of the band's identity back then? And in his case, it's not for a major reason such as Owen's health problems, no... they just give us the "due to scheduling conflicts" bullshit cliché. Not a good thing, regardless how much one may dislike latter-day Arch Enemy, and not a good sign at all.

Third of all, no replacement as a second guitarist. Now, I have tremendous respect for Bill Steer, but unless they're headed back to their original wall-of-noise style... A proper, full-time lead guitarist would be required. It they're going to play anything even remotely in the vein or spirit of Necroticisim or HeartWork, that is. I'd give in to the "yeah, but then it wouldn't really be Carcass" argument there too, but that ship has sailed (see above), so why the hell not, at this point?

Last but not least, the new drummer is described as "Matthias Voigt of German death metal and hardcore fusionists HEAVEN SHALL BURN". Also, their own producer from back in their legendary days is called back to the fold, and the way he is introduced, rather than "their good old producer from back in the day" is "acclaimed producer Colin Richardson (FEAR FACTORY, MACHINE HEAD, NAPALM DEATH, SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE)". No good signs there either. :lol: :finger:

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:35 am 

Aftermath1349 wrote:
Not expecting anything great but Amott being out helps a bit.

I don't think him being in or out really matters in this case, unless he brings some The Day Man Lost shit. Don't have much faith in new material being good.

The reunion gigs were good though.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:57 am 

If the new material is like Heartwork or Swansong, I don't care about this album. Little are the chances for them to play something like Necroticism once again IMO.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:01 am 

I'm expecting it to be shit. I hated heartwork and Swansong. Anything remotely like that would be a disappointment. So I'm not going to care or think about this again till it comes out and most likely confirms my thoughts. If it comes out something like Symphonies of Sickness or such... well being surprised would be an understatement.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm expecting it to be shit. I hated heartwork and Swansong.
i couldn't handle either of them at all

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 am 

I'm certainly looking forward to this, I've always found Carcass' work pretty interesting whether it be their goregrind material or the melodeath releases.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 am 

Well seeing as they play mostly Heartwork stuff live im guessing thats the style they'll be going for on the new album, i cant really see em playing grind anymore but who knows.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 am 

Veracs wrote:
SOURCE:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=182963

Thanks, man!

Subrick wrote:
It might just be a good thing that Amott's not doing the new Carcass considering how goddamn crappy Arch Enemy have become.

+1.

LegendMaker wrote:
As for my impressions, they will contrast with the ones the thread showed so far, in that I'm not at all optimistic about this new record.

First of all, ...
Now, that's what some call integrity, although others may point out that touring without him contradicts this, but either way, touring doesn't leave the kind of trace a new album does. So there's that. Apparently enough time has passed that they now feel they can truly be Carcass without Owen... Why?
Second of all, no Amott either?! ...
no... they just give us the "due to scheduling conflicts" bullshit cliché. Not a good thing, regardless how much one may dislike latter-day Arch Enemy, and not a good sign at all.
Third of all, no replacement as a second guitarist. ...
A proper, full-time lead guitarist would be required. It they're going to play anything even remotely in the vein or spirit of Necroticisim or HeartWork, that is. I'd give in to the "yeah, but then it wouldn't really be Carcass" argument there too, but that ship has sailed (see above), so why the hell not, at this point?
Last but not least, the new drummer is described as "Matthias Voigt of German death metal and hardcore fusionists HEAVEN SHALL BURN". Also, their own producer from back in their legendary days is called back to the fold, and the way he is introduced, rather than "their good old producer from back in the day" is "acclaimed producer Colin Richardson (FEAR FACTORY, MACHINE HEAD, NAPALM DEATH, SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE)". No good signs there either. :lol: :finger:

I agree.

Kveldulfr wrote:
If the new material is like Heartwork or Swansong, I don't care about this album. Little are the chances for them to play something like Necroticism once again IMO.

I expect it to be another Swansong, which I would not be angry with.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:23 am 

I doubt this will be any good. It'll be a watered-down Heartwork/Swansong with modern production. Those two albums weren't very good anyway so I have low expectation for this.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 am 

Damn, I'm very interested in this. Apart from their first effort, Carcass have put out some incredible work, each interesting in it's own way, with it's own merits. It would be a little disappointing if it was just Swansong pt II, but I'll still listen to it.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 am 

Was listening the shit out of Necrotisism a few days ago. Great album. Hopefully something along the lines of that or Heartwork.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 am 

I loved Heartwork, so I wouldn't mind if the new album sounds like that, although I'd personally prefer it to sound like Necroticism.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 pm 

Considering that the main obstacle in Carcass reforming in the first place was always Bill Steer and his disinterest in death metal/goregrind, Carcass reforming was in itself a minor miracle. I never would have thought for a single second that they would actually attempt a new work but to me it signals that Bill is having loads of fun with the heavier spectrum of music and has had a plethora of ideas. I wouldn't be shocked if they churned out another Heartwork or even a way more melodic Symphonies of Sickness. What I don't expect is either a Swansong since he already spent over a decade in a proper blues rock band or a Necroticism since by their account in those days, the album was a result of them in a "more riffs the better" mindset. Hopefully it just doesn't suck and we get a good slab of death metal to listen to.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Also, their own producer from back in their legendary days is called back to the fold, and the way he is introduced, rather than "their good old producer from back in the day" is "acclaimed producer Colin Richardson (FEAR FACTORY, MACHINE HEAD, NAPALM DEATH, SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE)". No good signs there either. :lol: :finger:

Sorry, but since when is producing Fear Factory, Machine Head, and ND records not a good sign?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 pm 

Smalley wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
Also, their own producer from back in their legendary days is called back to the fold, and the way he is introduced, rather than "their good old producer from back in the day" is "acclaimed producer Colin Richardson (FEAR FACTORY, MACHINE HEAD, NAPALM DEATH, SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE)". No good signs there either. :lol: :finger:

Sorry, but since when is producing Fear Factory, Machine Head, and ND records not a good sign?

Well, Machine Head isn't a good sign at least. That band is fuck.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:

MH IS a mixed bag for me (though I do genuinely love some of their records), but I'd have to pick Slipknot and/or Bullet as the most concerning mention there Image

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:58 pm 

I can't wait! Carcass were one of the first ever death metal bands I heard when I was 13 years old, I can't wait to hear what they will do now. Hopefully they will go in a new direction.

And Colin Richardson has also produced great bands such as Gorefest, Disincarnate, Sinister, Bolt Thrower, Gorguts, and as already mentioned Napalm Death so I hardly understand why people would be up in arms or even concerned about his involvement.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm 

I never got into Carcass, both their earlier and "recent" records. I should atleast like Heartwork because it's a classic album in a style I'm quite fond of. Perhaps I should give it another try, though I don't think it will turn out any different.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm 

Listen to This Mortal Coil and the Title track, those are the best of their melodic style, IMO.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:54 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm expecting it to be shit. I hated heartwork and Swansong. Anything remotely like that would be a disappointment. So I'm not going to care or think about this again till it comes out and most likely confirms my thoughts. If it comes out something like Symphonies of Sickness or such... well being surprised would be an understatement.

yep.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:08 pm 

Anyone listen to Lockup's Necropolis Transparent? Jeff Walker's backup vox are just fucking awesome, hearing it made me wish he did all the vocals (and I like Tomas!). I hope they take a cue from ND and bring the grind back.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:52 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:

It's not really about what one might think of Machine Head but rather Richardson' skills as a producer.

IMO, Colin Richardson makes bands sound lifeless and overproduced. That fucking hack was part of a bunch of shitty producers who contributed to metal's decline.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:23 pm 

I haven't read about the lineup and specifics, I don't care.
BRING BACK THE GORE

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 pm 

Eh, I like everything Carcass has released to at least some degree. I think I'll enjoy this as long as the songwriting and the production are good enough.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 pm 

Smalley wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:

Smalley wrote:
MH IS a mixed bag for me (though I do genuinely love some of their records), but I'd have to pick Slipknot and/or Bullet as the most concerning mention there Image

Well, duh. I quoted the whole sentence in which Richardson was introduced in the article. My point is NOT that Richardson himself is at fault, although it's not quite exciting to learn he produced some shitty commercial bands since I last heard of him. It's just odd that they'd push this "with the guy who produced a variety of bands, some of them embarrassing" angle rather than simply "with the guy we made Necro-fucking-ticism with!" It might just be the journalist who chose to phrase it that way, though.

enigmatech wrote:
And Colin Richardson has also produced great bands such as Gorefest, Disincarnate, Sinister, Bolt Thrower, Gorguts, and as already mentioned Napalm Death so I hardly understand why people would be up in arms or even concerned about his involvement.

Yeah, and such as... Carcass themselves, which should have been the first, if not the only, thing mentioned in this context. As stated above, I have no beef with Richardson himself, he is/was a great producer.

On a side note, I'm stunned by how many of you guys lump together Heartwork and Swansong... They sound nothing alike, but more importantly the former is unquestionably one of their seminal, most influential works, whereas the latter is arguably the lowest point of their career in any respect (so far...). What do they have in common, again? Aside from not being grindcore?
:scratch:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:46 am 

Yeah, that confuses me too. Swansong is deathrock while Heartwork clearly isn't. That said, I'm one of the few that likes Swansong (it's better than Reek :p) but I hope they don't go in that direction. Give me another Heartwork, or Necroticism (in case it wasn't abundantly clear that I love that album).

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:03 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Eh, I like everything Carcass has released to at least some degree. I think I'll enjoy this as long as the songwriting and the production are good enough.

Agreed. It should be interesting to see if they reinvent themselves again and incorporate more modern influences or will try to create a healthy combination of Necroticism and Heartwork, which seems far more likely than a full-on goregrind album. Either way, Bill and Jeff are probably more focused now than when they first started doing the reunion shows a few years back. Granted, it definitely would have been striking while the iron was hot as far as piqued interest in that regard, but perhaps the material would have suffered for it which does no one any favors.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:29 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
On a side note, I'm stunned by how many of you guys lump together Heartwork and Swansong... They sound nothing alike, but more importantly the former is unquestionably one of their seminal, most influential works, whereas the latter is arguably the lowest point of their career in any respect (so far...). What do they have in common, again? Aside from not being grindcore?
:scratch:

Personally what I find they are both sell out albums so to speak. jumping from goregrind to melodeath.. I don't care how much everyone wants to say they were heading that way... it's safe and boring. Swansong is jumping to something that is even more safe and boring and actually i like swansong more than heartwork but that isn't saying much. But I think what you are missing is that people aren't really grouping them together as in anything other than they don't like those albums and that honestly shouldn't be too hard to comprehend. My favorite release is symphonies of sickness and it's basically as if that didn't exist to most fans cause literally maybe one person might bring it up aside from me in discussing carcass and their releases at any time.

Oh and to note, I didn't buy heartwork when it was new, I only got it in maybe the last 7 years... so I fully knew what the album was and expected it to be melodeath... and even with knowing what to expect and that it wasn't going to to sound like their previous work... I still didn't like it and was quite annoyed with it. Oh well.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:35 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yeah, that confuses me too. Swansong is deathrock while Heartwork clearly isn't. That said, I'm one of the few that likes Swansong (it's better than Reek :p) but I hope they don't go in that direction. Give me another Heartwork, or Necroticism (in case it wasn't abundantly clear that I love that album).

I completely agree, although in fairness, it shouldn't be too difficult for any band to make something better than Vomiting and Diarrhea: The Official Soundtrack.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:13 am 

@ShaolinLambKiller:
Thanks for detailing your perspective on the last two albums compared to the rest (except for Necroticism, which you oddly didn't place in that context). I suppose a number of other fans of Symphonies of Sickness probably reject Heartwork and Swansong coming from a similar experience/viewpoint. It seems to me that this is ignoring Necroticism in particular, and the overall evolution of the band in general, though. They never went from goregrind to melodeath.

They went from more melodic to even more melodic throughout their albums. Reeks was a wall-of-noise for shits and giggles, Symphonies was building up on that by introducing more proper, elaborate songwriting and a more melodic/audible approach, then Necro confirmed that evolution by going full-on death metal with a very melodic, intricate approach to songwriting, and then came Heartwork which just pushed in the same direction with far more emphasis on the melodic aspect, and thus heavily contributed to creating melodeath. For a style to be "safe" and a "sellout", shouldn't it be a pre-established style, easy to follow, rather than something innovative, pioneering, and in direct continuation of the evolution the band had undergone from day one?

Swansong, on the other hand, I completely understand writing off as a sellout, or at least as a complete change of style, because it's farther away from the previous album than any other had been, and to the point that it no longer sounds anything like Carcass.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 am 

Being of the age that I bought Symphonies of Sickness when it was released, and obviously have that album dearest (with Necrotisism close 2nd), I actually like Swansong unreasonably much. It's Heartwork that I find to be the great abomination in the discography. Swansong reeks of "taking the piss" to me
and stands like a big middle-finger to expectations.

That said, I can't say I'm jumping up and down with joy at the prospect of a new album. Speculations aside, Carcass has always thrown curveballs, so to speak, and I honestly won't aspire to predict how it will sound.

Grapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 pm 

I'm not expecting anything more than melodic butt-rock that'd make In Flames proud, maybe with decent lead work. One can dream, I guess; if they do something profound then good for them.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:21 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
@ShaolinLambKiller:
Thanks for detailing your perspective on the last two albums compared to the rest (except for Necroticism, which you oddly didn't place in that context). I suppose a number of other fans of Symphonies of Sickness probably reject Heartwork and Swansong coming from a similar experience/viewpoint. It seems to me that this is ignoring Necroticism in particular, and the overall evolution of the band in general, though. They never went from goregrind to melodeath.

Yea... I really don't listen to Necroticism much at all either. If I ever bother listening to Carcass it's only Symphonies and Reek. I honestly can't remember anything from Necro, basically I don't find it horrid but I don't turn to it often at all.

The first carcass album I ever heard was Symphonies, then Swansong, then Reek and Necro and then heartwork. So if that further expands upon it, there ya go.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next