Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 pm 

That's too pessimist of you. And no, that's not being realistic, it is flat out pessimism.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Riff wise, I could see an album trying to be as heavy as Necrotism with the catchiness of Heartwork to be an okay album. Too bad it will suck even if that does happen, because it will most likely be filled with triggers, a lame tone, and awful production.

Wow. That's one of the most cynical things I've ever read on this site.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YHdMY-2G8

Ok I admit, I do not hold much hope for the new album, but watching them live with this explosive charge get me very excited.
There is a renewed understanding between Jeff and Bill on stage and this benefits the show of course.

That solo on Incarnated Solvent Abuse seemed a bit off. But only very slightly. Thanks for the link. Jeff sounded quite good to be honest. I haven't seen the rest of the videos but I did check out their set list. Here it is - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/carcass/2 ... 890fb.html

Personally, it sucks that there's no 'Inpropagation' on it. But there are some good songs on it and they've more or less covered almost their entire discography.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Riff wise, I could see an album trying to be as heavy as Necrotism with the catchiness of Heartwork to be an okay album. Too bad it will suck even if that does happen, because it will most likely be filled with triggers, a lame tone, and awful production.

I'll never understand people who write off an album because of production. Personally I expect the songwriting to be the reason why this is gonna be a failure, but I'm not completely without hope. The question should be whether they're just gonna copy the sound of Necroticism or Heartwork to make boring, pandering bullshit, or manage to come up with interesting, original music.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am 

Ok, ok, you're right, I don't know that it's going to be awful. I just have a feeling this is going to be the kind of album that would be good if it sounded like metal, but would most likely be ruined by steryle prodution if that's what it's going to sound like.

And no, not all albums are instantly bjorked by digital engineering. But I think death metal and melodic music is more susceptible to it than anything else. There's been a big rise in digital production in black metal lately, but you don't hear as many people complaining about it for a few reasons. One, is that modern black metal is still loaded with distortion, and while some black metal bands might even use triggers now, they don't use tick-y sounding drums, everything is meant to sound evil as fuck. Black metal is still flourishing and not making cheap plastic reproductions of itself like (a lot of) death metal is.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 am 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
In my opinion it's actually heavier than Necroticism, which had acoustic guitars and meandering sections that get a bit tedious

I think I prefer 'Heartwork' due to those meandering sections you mention...

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am 

Oh hush you guys. Just wait for the damn thing to come out and then you can tell us how dissapointed you are.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:39 pm 

Heh, is there bad blood between Carcass and Michael Amott? I've been watching that live show on youtube from the other day, and right at the beginning of Rot n' Roll Jeff Walker says "This is the Arch Enemy-free version of Carcass, do you like it?" You can hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8_U6HqUm3g

And I love that Bill did vocals on Exhume to Consume. They both sound great, and I really hope Bill does vocals throughout the new album. He's still the best gore/grind vocalist IMO.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm 

Wow, is that seriously the the intro for a new song? I like it, but it sounds very, very power metal and not very Carcass. I'm really interested in hearing that new album even more.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:34 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Heh, is there bad blood between Carcass and Michael Amott?

I can't be bothered to try and find a source at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Jeff has beefed Arch Enemy in numerous interviews, I think I recall a particular one where he says Angela is a shit vocalist or something (which, of course, she is). These live videos are sounding/looking quite good! I'll be seeing them at Brutal Assault this summer.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:57 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Stabwound wrote:
Heh, is there bad blood between Carcass and Michael Amott?

I can't be bothered to try and find a source at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Jeff has beefed Arch Enemy in numerous interviews, I think I recall a particular one where he says Angela is a shit vocalist or something (which, of course, she is). These live videos are sounding/looking quite good! I'll be seeing them at Brutal Assault this summer.

Yeah, apparently there's more of a bad blood situation between Jeff and Angela. Which is weird considering how she even did live backing vocals on "Incarnated Solvent Abuse" back in the 2008 reunion tour. She probably likes having Mike on a tight leash though, so have him go around touring with his "other" band must have hit her ego somewhat.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:17 pm 

That, and Arch Enemy are a lot more financially successful than Carcass are/ever were, I'd imagine.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm 

In the pathologist's report when Amott talks about leaving the band Jeff seems pretty bitter about it. To me at least Jeff comes off like someone who values loyalty and I think that's where the problem lies if indeed there is one.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 am 

Amott always seemed more like a "hired gun" in any case. I don't blame him for wanting to do his own thing. And I can certainly understand the rest of Carcass being a little butt-hurt by it, but that shit happens with bands and musicians.

These days, I have very little use for goregrind as a whole, but those first two Carcass albums, oddly enough, totally rocked my world back in the day. At the time, I loved the overpowering, bulldozing wall of noise that "Reek of Putrefaction" presented, because it was a novelty I guess, and it was by far the heaviest most extreme thing that was out there at the time (bar none.) Even now, some of those riffs still sound awesome. The next two were pretty much godly- heavy, twisted noizy death metal. I did like some of the later stuff, although it sounded like a completely different band at that point.

As for a new album, I'll wait until I hear it to pass judgment on it, but it really isnt making me tremble in anticipation, so to speak.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 am 

I know it's not much but that 46 seconds of 1985 has me stoked again. This is being bought with a t-shirt, patch combo.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:43 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Wow, is that seriously the the intro for a new song? I like it, but it sounds very, very power metal and not very Carcass. I'm really interested in hearing that new album even more.

Their facebook page also has a recent photo of Bill Steer recording with an acoustic guitar. This could be... interesting. It seems like Jeff Walker runs the facebook page himself too which is cool.

I'm not really worried. Bill is a riff master, and if he can come up with anything like the chock-full-of awesome that Necroticism is, we'll be fine.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm 

It will be cool if the new album sound:

25% Reek
25% Sickness
25% Necroticism
25% Heartwork

100% surgical death-grind :hyper:

"You make it easy."

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 pm 

I'm not greatly bothered if Jeff, Mike and Angela don't all get along together. Mike's contribution to Carcass was a substantial but not central one and he was perfectly entitled to do his own thing with Arch Enemy. Angela was a massive Carcass fan, and I don't think it would have been entirely Mike's idea for Arch Enemy to cover Incarnated Solvent Abuse. Mike doesn't need to justify his metal cred to anyone after Carnage, anyway.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 pm 

So, they signed to Nuclear Blast for their new album: http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/mus ... blast.html

It doesn't come out until fall, which sucks. I thought it would be sooner than that, but good for them to get signed to NB.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 pm 

I just want them to do a new song live. Even just a snippet of a song like Satyricon did.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 am 

Stabwound wrote:
but good for them to get signed to NB.

I understand where you're going with this, and I actually agree with you on that, but I can't shed the feeling that NB pussifies bands... And let's face it, a pussified Carcass comeback after all this time would be a pretty bad thing for my health! :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:18 am 

I think you are mixing up cause and effect here. Switching to NB is a good indicator, but not the reason for pussification.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 pm 

Razakel wrote:
That, and Arch Enemy are a lot more financially successful than Carcass are/ever were, I'd imagine.

I would be fucking shocked if this were true.

The fall release date it pretty dissapointing considering the album is pretty much done. Good ol' marketing strategies...

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
It will be cool if the new album sound:

25% Reek
25% Sickness
25% Necroticism
25% Heartwork

100% surgical death-grind :hyper:

I think the band had stated that it's more of a Necroticism/Heartwork thing. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if a few minor details had something to do with the first two albums. What I don't want is for this to sound like, say, Aborted, or something that sounds like its influenced by Carcass instead of actually being Carcass.

I'm slowly getting more and more interested in hearing this. I'm sure there will at least be a handful of cool riffs I can latch onto.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I think you are mixing up cause and effect here. Switching to NB is a good indicator, but not the reason for pussification.

Not really no. In case you aren't aware, when bands sign to NB they get a giant marketing machine behind them. They shoot expensive videos, do a ton of interviews/publicity stunts, have a giant leap in terms in visibility and overall market sales. All of that is great, and I couldn't see it be bad in any way. Except for the small tiny little fact that since NB markets them to the entire world, mainstream metal fans included, and they thrive on first month sales, they then take the liberty to "advice" the artists in their roster to sound in this or that way, to widen the appeal. The bands that do it keep getting the machine behind them in support, whereas the ones that fail to sell as much for whatever reason are put back at the end of the bus like black people before the riots in the seventies (not sure about the date but the example stands). So yeah, I'd say that a label that gives "creative advices" to bands on their roster and treats the ones that sell just a few thousand copies like the leprous indeed pussifies bands. Alas, that's why they're as big as they are!

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 pm 

The album is already recorded and was almost finished mastering as of the end of April according to their Facebook, so hopefully that means Nuclear Blast won't have any say in it at this point. It would be a tragedy to see Bill and Jeff get commercialized at this point when it seems like they fully intend to put out something that lives up to their classic albums.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 pm 

Yeah, that's where my hopes are at right now. Only the future will tell.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 am 

Squeee'd like a damn schoolgirl when I heard about this. I mean, I'm trepidatious, of course-- we've all seen this kind of thing spawn disastrous results before-- but hopefully it'll kick ass. I also hope, personally, that they excise the death'n'roll of their last album, maybe even scaling back to some of their deathgrind type shit, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part. Frankly, I'm just ecstatic to see one of my favourite bands getting back together to write new materiel.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:18 pm 

@Rykov; they're going for a mix of Necroticism and Heartwork with this one, so if they're true to their word, then you can pretty much forget about their death 'n' roll. Personally, I like Swansong, but I certainly agree with the notion that the stuff that came before it was much, much better.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:47 pm 

Deviante wrote:
Like everyone else, I've yet to hear anything off the new album, but a live report + interview from Carcass's March 26th London gig done by the Finnish mag, Soundi, had this to say (loosely translated by me):
[...] On the topic of the new album, Jeff Walker recently made statements in which he described the album to be the "missing link" between "Necroticism – Descanting The Insalubrious" and "Heartwork" and these statements are indeed not pulled out of thin air. This was made clear as the day, as we, the Soundi-magazine crew, got to listen to the raw-mixes of the new tracks which Colin Richards had been working on. The new material which seems to be deeply rooted in a thoroughly "Carcass-esque riffage" and sound of course also contains some new elements, but fans of the aforementioned two classic albums can certainly feel safe and reassured in waiting for the new album to be released.

Nice, thanks!
That sounds interesting and I DON'T think Carcass will disappoint after that statement.

Stabwound wrote:
Heh, is there bad blood between Carcass and Michael Amott? I've been watching that live show on youtube from the other day, and right at the beginning of Rot n' Roll Jeff Walker says "This is the Arch Enemy-free version of Carcass, do you like it?"

That's a pitty cause they made a REALLY great combo in (1994) Carcass - Heartwork.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:52 pm 

Aftermath1349 wrote:
Razakel wrote:

I would be fucking shocked if this were true.

The fall release date it pretty dissapointing considering the album is pretty much done. Good ol' marketing strategies...

Carcass have 235,692 listeners on last.fm but Arch Enemy have 554,641. last.fm is also an English-language website that's UK-based, I believe, so site membership is probably heavily slanted toward the US and UK. I would imagine Arch Enemy see a lot more success in Scandinavia and mainland Europe, so the listener stats on last.fm likely don't represent an even larger lead Arch Enemy has over Carcass in global listenership.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:01 pm 

New song leaked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokIQOKxKSc

Just like expected, it sounds like a mix of Necroticism and Heartwork and I can't say I'm disappointed. It already sounds better than most of the stuff from Swansong. I also like how Steer's voice has aged, it definitely sounds more aggressive and abrasive than on Heartwork. The solo is pretty good as well, it's nothing extraordinary, but it gives a nice touch to the song.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:04 pm 

reven wrote:
New song leaked!
Just like expected, it sounds like a mix of Necroticism and Heartwork and I can't say I'm disappointed. It already sounds better than most of the stuff from Swansong. I also like how Steer's voice has aged, it definitely sounds more aggressive and abrasive than on Heartwork. The solo is pretty good as well, it's nothing extraordinary, but it gives a nice touch to the song.

Fuck! I was going to post this!
Thanks to Kveldulfr!
viewtopic.php?p=2282096#p2282096

Kveldulfr wrote:
TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
It's leaked!?

Sounds like what Heartwork should have been. Compared to what you listen today, it's not really impressive but it's nice to see that the guys at least are not doing that pile of excrement Swansong was. I hope the rest of the album is like this or even more brutal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:14 pm 

There was conjecture earlier about which direction they'd follow and it looks like they've gone ahead with what was guessed - the missing link between Necroticism and Heartwork. I was hoping for a rawer sound/tone but I'm not gonna complain too much. Jeff and his cohorts have done decent here with this track. The vocals are definitely the highlight for me.

Last edited by shouvince on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:15 pm 

Song is fucking awesome. The vocals are a bit too loud, but the riffs are the shizznit and dat solo.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 pm 

God that's fucking terrible, but that doesn't come unexpected.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:30 pm 

I love it. Sounds exactly like the band said it would sound.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:50 pm 

I just don't know how I feel about this song. It does bear a distinctive Heartwork appeal, but it sounds almost like an Exhumed b-side song that never cut it into the final album. I really hope the rest of the album is better than this, I really do...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:55 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I love it. Sounds exactly like the band said it would sound.

Same here. It sounds a little derivative because it's less catchy than their classic stuff, but also because their legion of clones have aped their style to death and our ears are all a little apprehensive to that already. Pound for pound it's a solid death metal track regardless, and Jeff's vocals are beast.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 pm 

androdion wrote:
I just don't know how I feel about this song. It does bear a distinctive Heartwork appeal, but it sounds almost like an Exhumed b-side song that never cut it into the final album. I really hope the rest of the album is better than this, I really do...

This song sounds like Exhumed who had inspired their existence all about Carcass?
Hhmm, interesting...

"You make it easy."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next