Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:49 pm 

They've already said that the new stuff sounds like the missing link between Necroticism and Heartwork so if you're a fan of that era of the band there's a good chance you'll enjoy it... assuming they've described the sounds accurately.

Pretty sure either Jeff or Bill said somewhere that after the reunion shows they found themselves writing music that sounded like Carcass again and so feelers were put out about getting together to see what happened... and what happened was apparently good.

I'm much more a fan of Reek and Symphonies but I'm definitely interested to hear what they come up with regardless... and if I can get a song or two that harken back to that era and the rest fall somewhere closer to Necroticism I'll consider it a success.

On a side note, when I saw them in '08 they absolutely fucking killed.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm 

6Xul66 wrote:
waiguoren wrote:
Yeah, but Terrorizer is British, Carcass is British - pick up any random issue of Terrorizer and you'll see they're constantly hyping up any and every Brit band. It's a very British thing to do, assume that you're superior to everyone else.

or we like to support home grown talent?

Eh, it's a bit of both to be honest. But let's face it: all the major metal magazines are hyping shite bands, regardless of nationality. But if a shit band's British the UK press will usually give their hype a patriotic slant. Who cares about them, anyway? At the end of the day, we should just mistrust all these major metal publications as they're basically paid for having the 'correct' opinions.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am 

I'm sitting here listening to Exhumed's latest, "All Guts, No Glory" and I realized, they do what modern Carcass would theoretically sound like better than what Carcass themselves will probably come out with.

If they put out something with the sound of All Guts, No Glory that would be fucking amazing. And surprising.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 am 

As far as I'm concerned, they can release a Swansong Pt. II... that was a nice enough album. I like pretty much every Carcass record, so whatever they'll do on "Surgical Steel", I'm on board. Probably gonna be good anyway.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 am 

A lot of people said that they're hopeful since Amott has left the band, but I'd like to remind you that he didn't play on Swansong and didn't write anything on the album.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
A lot of people said that they're hopeful since Amott has left the band, but I'd like to remind you that he didn't play on Swansong and didn't write anything on the album.

I don't remember if I said that or not but I would agree with that sentiment, if only because I liked Carcass' output a lot more prior to his involvement than after he joined. Granted, from what I remember, he only ever contributed solos and wasn't really involved in the actual songwriting on Necroticism and Heartwork. I'm much more hopeful based on Walker and Steer's comments on the fact that they know what the fans want to hear from a Carcass album.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Actually Ilwhyan, it's not only because of Amott's absence, but because of the fact that the two main men themselves have stated that the new record won't have anything to do with Swansong. As said before, they want to create what amounts to the missing link between Necroticism and Heartwork. Now, there are no guarantees that it'll be a quality record, but the enthusiasm is at least somewhat justified. Personally, I'm all for this.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:22 pm 

Are people forgetting Necroticism? Amott's work on that album was magnificent, not that we'll ever see anything like it again.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm 

That was 20 years ago. Nowadays Amott's been writing consistent crap with Arch Enemy.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm 

My point is that people point towards his other Carcass work.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:40 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Are people forgetting Necroticism? Amott's work on that album was magnificent, not that we'll ever see anything like it again.

Didn't Amott's work on that album consist on just adding a few solos in some songs?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:48 pm 

Amott has been a mixed bag for ages. Very capable of playing a lot of stuff with a lot of different bands, but not always at the best quality. Does anyone know what kind of influence had had on the Candlemass album he played on, Dactylis Glomerata? It's painfully underrated, and while not traditional Candlemass at all, still one of the best slabs of doom ever created imo.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:56 pm 

Menternor wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

Didn't Amott's work on that album consist on just adding a few solos in some songs?

Probably a lot more than that. It's a whole different beast than Symphonies of Sickness, with the perfect mix of melody and aggression.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Menternor wrote:

Probably a lot more than that. It's a whole different beast than Symphonies of Sickness, with the perfect mix of melody and aggression.

Which can be attributed entirely to Steer, Walker, and Owens progression. Amott's work on that album consisted of a couple solos. He's only even credited on Corporal Jigsore Quandary and Incarnated Solvent Abuse.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm 

I mix of Necroticism and Heartwork sounds good to me. Maybe add a little Symphonies of Sickness for color.

Heartwork gets bashed a lot these days, but at the time it was pretty innovative. It's not all out grind, but there are blastbeats and crushing riffs on that album, along with some excellent solos. In my opinion it's actually heavier than Necroticism, which had acoustic guitars and meandering sections that get a bit tedious. Heartwork was over produced, had a non-gory cover, and lacked Ken and Bill's vocals, but it still is a kicker of asses.

On their reunion tour, they played mostly Necroheartwork material, with a few Symphonies thrown in, but not much from Swansong at all. That surely influenced the direction of the new album.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 am 

When the producer quits half way through recording the material must be top notch.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 am 

Anyone leaks a preview song? :-P

"You make it easy."

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
When the producer quits half way through recording the material must be top notch.

He quit during the mixing process not halfway through recording. Mixing can be tedious and frustrating. Still that's not a good sign but I definitely hope it's sincerely for the reasons given.

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm 

he apparently quit to mix the new Trivium album according to Jeff from a video of their return London show. How much truth it holds is a different matter...

here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498kxyjS ... r_embedded

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm 

If it's because of quality, it really has to be Demon Master level of asininity. It's a fucking Carcass album.

It's more likely because he had difficulty working with the band.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 pm 

lol he chose new Trivium album over new Carcass album, thats not a good sign

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm 

Not a good sign? More like he took the more lucrative job and skipped town on Carcass. The new Trivium's going to sell more - that's just a reality. Whatever conflict, if there was any, Richardson had with the band likely urged him to take up the new project, but that has little to do with the material itself or else they'd still be working on it. He was still there during the recording process up until this point. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Andy Sneap gets producer credits for Surgical Steel when the dust settles.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Not a good sign? More like he took the more lucrative job and skipped town on Carcass. The new Trivium's going to sell more - that's just a reality. Whatever conflict, if there was any, Richardson had with the band likely urged him to take up the new project, but that has little to do with the material itself or else they'd still be working on it. He was still there during the recording process up until this point. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Andy Sneap gets producer credits for Surgical Steel when the dust settles.

Thats what I was thinking also. The money is a definite factor considering Trivium is with Roadrunner and Carcass as far as I know did it out of pocket. Not saying that it was the be all end all of it but its something to consider.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YHdMY-2G8

Ok I admit, I do not hold much hope for the new album, but watching them live with this explosive charge get me very excited.
There is a renewed understanding between Jeff and Bill on stage and this benefits the show of course.

At this point, hype to 1000

Trivia: Jeff's t-shirt isn't Death... but Decibel (see it at 2:00)

"You make it easy."

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:51 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
Trivia: Jeff's t-shirt isn't Death... but Decibel (see it at 2:00)

I believe he has a Death sticker on his bass, though.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 pm 

Looks like we'll have to wait even longer now that Colin has pissed off. Can't say I'm excited to wait another year.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 pm 

Fuck. I hope we at least get to hear this album before the end of the year. This sucks. I don't think they even played a new song during that live concert on youtube either.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:06 pm 

I think the salient point is this:

They don't like grindcore anymore, and want to be a heavy metal or rock band that is respected for having Led Zeppelin style chops.

I don't think it's Amott's fault, or anything that simple. They don't like the type of music people like them for. That's a problem, and it's why I'm not going to do anything other than cruise YouTube samples when the album comes out. I wish them well but they're in a terrible fix. I'd hate to be making music that I didn't want to make, or trying to sell music that I did want to make to an audience that is fleeing from it.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:42 pm 

I dunno, I watched some of that youtube concert and they seem pretty into it when playing old shit, especially Bill Steer. He does all of his vocal parts on Exhume to Consume and is pretty active on stage, headbanging and shit throughout the concert.

I know what you're saying, though. Metallica is a good example of a band that is obviously playing music they don't even like or want to make anymore. I'm not sure about Carcass, but I did feel like the reunion was at least slightly disingenuous on Bill Steer's part, considering his post-Carcass comments about never intending to go back to that type of music. I think Walker has been involved in grind/metal of one sort or another over the years, though.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Metallica is a good example of a band that is obviously playing music they don't even like or want to make anymore.

I really dont think so

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:35 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
I think the salient point is this:

They don't like grindcore anymore, and want to be a heavy metal or rock band that is respected for having Led Zeppelin style chops.

I don't think it's Amott's fault, or anything that simple. They don't like the type of music people like them for. That's a problem, and it's why I'm not going to do anything other than cruise YouTube samples when the album comes out. I wish them well but they're in a terrible fix. I'd hate to be making music that I didn't want to make, or trying to sell music that I did want to make to an audience that is fleeing from it.

I really don't think this argument holds any weight. They are self financing this recording for one, if you don't care about the music anymore why would you sacrifice your personal cash to make an album that a label may or may not pick up? Two, Jeff Walker has done back up vocals for lockup on their most recent album and has been involved with other grind projects, if he doesn't like that kind of music anymore why would he involve himself? I doubt he got loads of cash to do them. Nope this line of reasoning doesn't add up to me.

Also I saw them on the comeback tour and they were joking around having a good time with the audience and they were really tight and powerful sounding. Definitely looked like a band that is loving what they are doing.

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 am 

Really? Wow that's a massive fucking surprise! Haven't heard 'Swansong' but we'll see what happens here...

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 am 

Pretty sure they still like death metal seeing as Jeff is in Brujeria and theres a new pic of him wearing a Nihilist shirt.

Maybe not grindcore but im not expecting a grind album, im expecting something silimar to Necroticism/Heartowrk

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 am 

I'm actually feeling a massive hype for this album. Will be interesting to hear what Jeff and Bill deliver.

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:33 pm 

Incase anyone missed it on their Facebook page the intro is from 1985 from their new album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YHdMY-2G8

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

They could have at least played the entire song. That sounds a little more melodic than I was expecting from the new album, but I guess that isn't really representative of much.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:19 pm 

Like everyone else, I've yet to hear anything off the new album, but a live report + interview from Carcass's March 26th London gig done by the Finnish mag, Soundi, had this to say (loosely translated by me):

[...] On the topic of the new album, Jeff Walker recently made statements in which he described the album to be the "missing link" between "Necroticism – Descanting The Insalubrious" and "Heartwork" and these statements are indeed not pulled out of thin air. This was made clear as the day, as we, the Soundi-magazine crew, got to listen to the raw-mixes of the new tracks which Colin Richards had been working on. The new material which seems to be deeply rooted in a thoroughly "Carcass-esque riffage" and sound of course also contains some new elements, but fans of the aforementioned two classic albums can certainly feel safe and reassured in waiting for the new album to be released.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 pm 

I'm jealous as fuck of people that get to hear these rough mixes. I feel like a heroin addict fiending for anything from this album. I haven't anticipated any album more than this one.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:10 pm 

Riff wise, I could see an album trying to be as heavy as Necrotism with the catchiness of Heartwork to be an okay album. Too bad it will suck even if that does happen, because it will most likely be filled with triggers, a lame tone, and awful production.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Riff wise, I could see an album trying to be as heavy as Necrotism with the catchiness of Heartwork to be an okay album. Too bad it will suck even if that does happen, because it will most likely be filled with triggers, a lame tone, and awful production.

Sounds like you've already decided to hate it regardless of quality.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next