Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:56 pm
Posts: 484
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:19 pm 
 

Calusari wrote:
Exactly. I've had tinnitus all my life, and quite honestly can't comprehend why anyone would want to risk getting it purely for the sake of looking metal (a reason that's not even worth rebutting) or enjoying the music more fully (granted, a better reason, but - just buy decent earplugs, which will actually help you experience the sounds, rather than being overwhelmed by sheer volume).


I'll add to this: My ears ring. ALL THE TIME. During the day, I usually don't notice, but at night it can be difficult to go to sleep. Each ear rings at a different pitch, and sometime one or both may ring unusually loud. I typically have to run a fan or something at night just to drown out the ringing, but on some nights even that doesn't work. I've noticed that certain medicines, such as ibuprofen make it worse. There are occasions when one of my ears will suddenly start ringing very loudly, enough to drown out a conversation. That usually only lasts a few minutes, but it is annoying.

Why do my ears ring? Because I was a dumb-ass who thought it would be awesome to stand in front of the amps (without earplugs) and look cool during metal and punk concerts when I was in high school. Can't undo it, have to live with it. So now I wear earplugs whenever I mow the lawn, vacuum, or use any power tools at home or work, because I don't want to make it worse.

So yes, wear you earplugs at every show. If someone thinks you're a wuss, then to hell with them.
_________________
FYI: 89% of all statistics are made up on the spot - including this one - which proves my point.

Top
 Profile  
Bruitiste
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:18 am
Posts: 65
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
 

I'm in the always bring earplugs camp, just in case. You only get one set of ears per life...

Top
 Profile  
Adriankat
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 2635
Location: South Bay Area, California
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm 
 

I saw this dude at a show who must've been my age when Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc. were new bands. So yeah, he was pretty old (compared to everyone else at the show) but he was rocking out just like the rest of us.

He was wearing earplugs. Dwell on that for a minute.

Top
 Profile  
MortalScum
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm 
 

I need to start wearing earplugs at shows, I always forget.


While we're on the subject, I'm going to see Earth in a few days and, thought their music is pretty mellow these days, I've heard they still play as loud as they always have. Will I need Earplugs for this?
_________________
Scepter Of Eligos - Sludge/Thrash
Ritual Flame - Funeral Doom

Top
 Profile  
vulcan plutarchy
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:36 am
Posts: 105
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 am 
 

This is a frightening issue. I've had weird ear problems, not tinnitus, but a fullness or pressure for some time. Doctors have thought it was ear infections, TMJ, BPPV. None of them seemed to be the right answer. I even gave up listening to music for a few months. Several people in my family have meniere's disease and tinnitus. Used to go to lots of concerts (Sunn O))) included), not wearing plugs. The ears are weird. Don't mess with them.
_________________
pghedujobs - teaching jobs pittsburgh

Top
 Profile  
matras
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 am
Posts: 870
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:02 am 
 

MortalScum wrote:
I need to start wearing earplugs at shows, I always forget.


While we're on the subject, I'm going to see Earth in a few days and, thought their music is pretty mellow these days, I've heard they still play as loud as they always have. Will I need Earplugs for this?


Use earplugs to all gigs if you value your hearing, no matter if it's Earth, Agalloch, Puddle of Mud or Jennifer Lopez.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:30 am 
 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Itheus wrote:
As someone that has gone 100% deaf in my right ear, I would highly recommend earplugs. I won't even go to a gig without them anymore...what I have left is too precious.

Damn i dont think i could listen to music without both ears.

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Calusari wrote:
Exactly. I've had tinnitus all my life, and quite honestly can't comprehend why anyone would want to risk getting it purely for the sake of looking metal (a reason that's not even worth rebutting) or enjoying the music more fully (granted, a better reason, but - just buy decent earplugs, which will actually help you experience the sounds, rather than being overwhelmed by sheer volume).

I'll add to this: My ears ring. ALL THE TIME. During the day, I usually don't notice, but at night it can be difficult to go to sleep. Each ear rings at a different pitch, and sometime one or both may ring unusually loud. I typically have to run a fan or something at night just to drown out the ringing, but on some nights even that doesn't work. I've noticed that certain medicines, such as ibuprofen make it worse. There are occasions when one of my ears will suddenly start ringing very loudly, enough to drown out a conversation. That usually only lasts a few minutes, but it is annoying.
Why do my ears ring? Because I was a dumb-ass who thought it would be awesome to stand in front of the amps (without earplugs) and look cool during metal and punk concerts when I was in high school. Can't undo it, have to live with it. So now I wear earplugs whenever I mow the lawn, vacuum, or use any power tools at home or work, because I don't want to make it worse.
So yes, wear you earplugs at every show. If someone thinks you're a wuss, then to hell with them.

MortalScum wrote:
I need to start wearing earplugs at shows, I always forget.
While we're on the subject, I'm going to see Earth in a few days and, thought their music is pretty mellow these days, I've heard they still play as loud as they always have. Will I need Earplugs for this?

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
This is a frightening issue. I've had weird ear problems, not tinnitus, but a fullness or pressure for some time. Doctors have thought it was ear infections, TMJ, BPPV. None of them seemed to be the right answer. I even gave up listening to music for a few months. Several people in my family have meniere's disease and tinnitus. Used to go to lots of concerts (Sunn O))) included), not wearing plugs. The ears are weird. Don't mess with them.

Wow! Some pretty serious problems here!
I have NEVER used plugs and had tinnitus after some shows (gone next morning) but that shit is scary! I should start taking more care about me.
I went to a Earth show in a small venue recently I think you'll NOT need them but... just take them in case.

Top
 Profile  
Ribos
Radioactive Man

Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 pm
Posts: 3020
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 am 
 

MortalScum wrote:
I need to start wearing earplugs at shows, I always forget.


While we're on the subject, I'm going to see Earth in a few days and, thought their music is pretty mellow these days, I've heard they still play as loud as they always have. Will I need Earplugs for this?
For Earth, probably not, unless the sound guy bumps up the volume. When I saw them, I don't even know if the drums and trombone were amplified. But it all depends on the venue's sound guy. I'd still bring plugs to the show regardless, as EagleTwin is opening, and they're not nearly as soft.
_________________
843182 wrote:
biohazard the band is not is when you want to add it to tell you that there is

Top
 Profile  
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:38 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
From my experience, the douchebags at gigs are the most unlikely ones to wear plugs. This is merely something I've come to notice - when someone indulges in dumbfuckery at a show, I tend to observe that he/she isn't wearing earplugs.


Sound logic.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CF_Mono, motorsport, Thiestru and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group