Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:54 pm 

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/08/07/ex ... -25-years/

Sounds pretty good I think. Scaccia shreds as usual.

Thoughts?

Track list:
1. Poltergeist 06:35
2. Rain of Ruin 04:21
3. Flesh for Flies 03:39
4. The Infected 03:51
5. Blood Bath 06:36
6. Ancient Horror 03:27
7. Fragrance of Corpse 03:13
8. Curse of the Draugr 03:34
9. Sacramentum Gladiatorum
10. Lududs Magnus 13:56

Line Up:
Casey Orr - Bass
Harden Harrison - Drums
Mike Scaccia (R.I.P. 2012) - Guitars
Bruce Corbitt - Vocals

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:03 pm 

That kicked ass, I wish I had remembered to donate some money to them on their kickstarter (or was it indiegogo?) page for the album, but regardless I'm pre-ordering this ASAP.

Thankfully Mike was already finished with all his guitar parts before his passing, so now it's up to the rest of the group to deliver something fierce, and if this song is anything to go by, then I think they'll be just fine.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 pm 

All around a very good thrash song. I was already looking forward to Slaves to the Grave but now I can't wait.

And hats off to that artwork and artist, of which is easily making the top of the year list for me.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:17 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
That kicked ass, I wish I had remembered to donate some money to them on their kickstarter (or was it indiegogo?) page for the album, but regardless I'm pre-ordering this ASAP.

The campaign is still active (just a little over half it's goal w/ 21 days left):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rigo ... -the-grave

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:33 pm 

Gave this a listen earlier today and it sounds a lot grimier than I expected. Looking forward to the album that much more.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 am 

I guess it sounds like Rigor Mortis. Cometh October 7th! :headbang:

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:54 am 

That fucking slayed! Totally kickass riffing, i'm really liking this.

Kinda hope this isn't the final quality though, sounds the usual "bag-over-recording-equipment" kind-of thing, a bit muffled.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm 

I remember hearing this in one of those "studio teaser" videos. The whole project sounds like it's going to be kickass. Artwork isn't that bad either.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 pm 

If this sounds anything like Warbeast what with their crappy groove metal slowdown sections that last like three minutes, I'm going to rage. New song is awesome, fast and furious and I look forward to more.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:33 pm 

Fucking awesome song!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:17 pm 

Wow, that song was pretty damn good. Wasn't expecting to be blown away like that, in all honesty.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 pm 

Jesus Christ, that positively rocked. There are so many half-baked "comeback" albums being released every month that I've stopped expecting much genuine good from any of them, especially from the thrash arena. This was definitely good. Basically everything here would have felt right at home on the classic debut: Corbitt's angry shouting, the tongue in cheek lyrics, the signature speedy RM riffs, and a predictably insane solo that almost feels like "Die in Pain" part two. Only the production is markedly different, which I feel pretty so-so about, but that was essentially unavoidable. A little repetitive, I have to admit, but I wouldn't have expected much more. If the rest is as good as this, it'll be far and away the best thrash released this year.

Talk about a surprise.

BlackFlags
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:09 pm 

That sounded fantastic, the solo in it kills. Will have to pick up.

BruceCorpse
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:20 pm 

Glad to read that some of you like the first song from the new album. Just to clear up a couple of things.... we finished recording the entire album in 10 days back in Feb 2012. But then I had to go right from that to working on the next Warbeast album that we recorded 4 months later. Mike and Casey had to prepare for their tour with Ministry that Summer. So we didn't get around to really working on the mix until that Dec 2012. So it wasn't like one of you thought... that Mike had finished all of his parts and we finished our parts after he passed away.

Luckily Mike had a few days to work on the mix and establish a foundation for how he wanted his guitars and the entire band to sound etc. Then of course most of you know about the tragedy and him dying on stage during my Birthday show not long after that. So the rest of us took a great deal of time to finish the mix Mike had started. We also waited to release it because we didn't think it was appropriate to release an album so close to his death. We didn't want to be like... "RIP Mike Scaccia.... but everyone buy the new Rigor Mortis album now!"

I admit it was hard to wait 2 1/2 years to let everyone hear a song from this album. Because this is Mike Scaccia's greatest work of his career. I have been Mike's biggest fan since 1981... so I seriously mean it when I say that. It is also the first album I got to do with Rigor Mortis since the debut back in 1988. I am so grateful that we got to do this album now... and that we have this one last album with Mike. It is bittersweet... because we did have plans to tour and start writing a new album as soon as we could.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and long live Mike Scaccia!

Oh and for the Warbeast hater... why would Rigor Mortis sound anything like Warbeast as far as the music goes? None of the same musicians and I don't write the music. So you don't have to worry about that... haha! BUT, one thing I do know is that Warbeast isn't groove metal... not even close. I despise groove metal myself.

Cheers from Texas!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:17 pm 

I try to avoid teasers but the hype got to me, and Rigor Mortis's debut is second only to Sadus when it comes to batshit fucking insane thrash metal, so I'd have to see how they're hanging so far in the future out of sheer morbid curiosity. Gotta agree with the general consensus that the overall production is kinda ehh, bit too muffled for the kind of precise riffing that Scaccia specializes in, but overall it was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a Rigor Mortis song. Glad to see the band hasn't lost a lot of pep since the 80s, it's just as fast and visceral as I would have hoped. Also fucking christ was Scaccia inhuman or what? I don't know how somebody's right arm can move that goddamn fast. Dude could jerk off a whole army in ten seconds.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I don't know how somebody's right arm can move that goddamn fast. Dude could jerk off a whole army in ten seconds.

I love how mature you are! :lol:

Bring it on Bruce, we're all drooling already! :nods:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 pm 

Song was good overall and Scaccia was great but those drums sound like dogshit.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:40 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Also fucking christ was Scaccia inhuman or what? I don't know how somebody's right arm can move that goddamn fast.

I find myself thinking the same thing every time I listen to their music. I discovered Rigor Mortis fairly early when I was getting into metal, so hearing Mike's guitar work absolutely floored me. Hell, it still does.

And thanks for the correction Bruce, that's interesting to hear that you guys had it all done back in 2012. I get what you mean by not wanting to release it so soon after Mike's passing and all. Better to let the dust settle first.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:38 pm 

BruceCorpse wrote:
Glad to read that some of you like the first song from the new album. Just to clear up a couple of things.... we finished recording the entire album in 10 days back in Feb 2012. But then I had to go right from that to working on the next Warbeast album that we recorded 4 months later. Mike and Casey had to prepare for their tour with Ministry that Summer. So we didn't get around to really working on the mix until that Dec 2012. So it wasn't like one of you thought... that Mike had finished all of his parts and we finished our parts after he passed away.

Luckily Mike had a few days to work on the mix and establish a foundation for how he wanted his guitars and the entire band to sound etc. Then of course most of you know about the tragedy and him dying on stage during my Birthday show not long after that. So the rest of us took a great deal of time to finish the mix Mike had started. We also waited to release it because we didn't think it was appropriate to release an album so close to his death. We didn't want to be like... "RIP Mike Scaccia.... but everyone buy the new Rigor Mortis album now!"

I admit it was hard to wait 2 1/2 years to let everyone hear a song from this album. Because this is Mike Scaccia's greatest work of his career. I have been Mike's biggest fan since 1981... so I seriously mean it when I say that. It is also the first album I got to do with Rigor Mortis since the debut back in 1988. I am so grateful that we got to do this album now... and that we have this one last album with Mike. It is bittersweet... because we did have plans to tour and start writing a new album as soon as we could.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and long live Mike Scaccia!

Oh and for the Warbeast hater... why would Rigor Mortis sound anything like Warbeast as far as the music goes? None of the same musicians and I don't write the music. So you don't have to worry about that... haha! BUT, one thing I do know is that Warbeast isn't groove metal... not even close. I despise groove metal myself.

Cheers from Texas!

Always good to see a musician joining in the discussion on here. I would like to expand my thrash collection and this is a good excuse to include some Rigor Mortis. I can't help noticing that the only halfway decent price on the first album on ebay is this one claiming to be direct from the band. Is that legit? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Official-Rig ... 43cd601d48

Warbeast sounds cool, also. Would you happen to know why I can only find the first album on Bandcamp? The Housecore Records page on Bandcamp doesn't seem to have any new releases in nearly four years. http://housecorerecords.bandcamp.com/al ... -the-enemy

I'll look forward to Slaves to the Grave when it comes out. Not sure what sort of distribution deal you have going on, but it would be cool if you guys could start a Bandcamp page. It's my preferred platform these days since you can have that combination of streaming, download and physical ordering and apparently the band gets most of the money compared to other platforms.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:32 am 

BruceCorpse wrote:
Glad to read that some of you like the first song from the new album. Just to clear up a couple of things.... we finished recording the entire album in 10 days back in Feb 2012. But then I had to go right from that to working on the next Warbeast album that we recorded 4 months later. Mike and Casey had to prepare for their tour with Ministry that Summer. So we didn't get around to really working on the mix until that Dec 2012. So it wasn't like one of you thought... that Mike had finished all of his parts and we finished our parts after he passed away. Luckily Mike had a few days to work on the mix and establish a foundation for how he wanted his guitars and the entire band to sound etc

Damn, thanks for the post! I could talk about Mike Scaccia's hummingbird fast riffs and shredding all day long but I also really like the lyrics and your memorable vocal delivery; "meat's meat and a man's gotta eat (Motel Hell reference?), you better get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat!" I'll grind your bones, I'll eat your soul, I'll use your skull for my dinner bowl!" I'll be belting out those lines for years and years. :thumbsup: It's certainly bittersweet but I think what a kickass legacy he's left us.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 am 

@ENKC - Yes, that's the real deal, straight from Casey Orr. He also had the Freaks EP and some shirts for sale too. The band repressed the 2003 reissue of the debut (along with the EP) last year, and apart from a tiny little difference in the layout the rest is identical. Same master and all.

With that in mind it wouldn't surprise me if the new album would follow the suit and be self-released and self-distributed. More money goes for the band and that's really how it ought to be.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm 

Another new song available to listen here - http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... ltergeist/

Such is rarely the case but in this instance I prefer the slow solo section.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:09 am 

I really love both tunes. The long-ass solo at the end of "Poltergeist" definitely brought a tear to my eye.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:31 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Another new song available to listen here - http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... ltergeist/

:love:

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 pm 

The second half of Poltergeist is unbelievable.

Strange, though, to have that as the opening track on the album. I would peg that for a closer.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

Such is rarely the case but in this instance I prefer the slow solo section.

Goddamn it, I keep throwing my money at the screen but a CD isn't appearing in my hand!!!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:08 pm 

Hey Guys,

Opinions on this one now that it's been released? I'm only a couple of songs in, but I'm loving it so far.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:05 pm 

I liked the album. It was quite a bit different from their classic material on some songs, but after a few listens it's started to sink in. "Blood Bath" is one of the top 5 best Rigor Mortis songs ever. My only gripe might be the production, it felt like it suffered from "Xecutioner's Return" syndrome a little bit, but overall it was a fabulous reunion (and farewell :( ) album, and I think the nerds who are whining about Carcass & At the Gates making "safe" reunions will be able to appreciate this album, as they definitely took some risks and didn't try to re-write the self-titled. "Flesh for Flies" is really the only song on the album that sounds like that.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:39 pm 

I fucking love it. The first 5 songs are pure gold, all the way. The second half only had two songs I wasn't quite into, but it still held up pretty well. Nobody in the band has lost their touch.

Like someone said earlier, Poltergeist would've been excellent as a closer, but I really like what the band did with Ludus Magnus as well.

All I've got left to say is rest in fucking peace Mike, and thank you and the rest of Rigor Mortis for this beast of a final album.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 am 

Excellent album! Mine came with a bonus disc but I haven't looked at that yet.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 pm 

Amazing album. I think it, unfortunately, loses a bit of steam near the end, but over all it was really enjoyable and memorable. Bloodbath was my personal favourite.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:46 am 

I can't seem to wear this thing out, long lasting luster even after non-stop repetitions. Now if we can only get a proper remastering of their old material.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:20 am 

I also am really pleased with Slaves to the Grave. It has that classic thrash soundin' feel to it but with touches of new. The Infected seems out of place and I could do without Ludus Magnus and it's ongoing narration, but Curse of the Draugr, Bloodbath and Flesh for Flies are highlights that keep me coming back for more.

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:31 am 

The solo in the OP track is fucking nuts.. I didn't even know they were coming out with another album. No vinyl release though, what's up with that?

Reply to topic